(DET/MTL) - Lindström, 2025 4th (DET) for Petry

Who won the trade?
Le graphique a été masqué

Options de sondage

15 août 2023 à 18 h 35
Amirov Forever
Rejoint: mars 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 6,049
Wait, I thought Petry was worth Nylander???

I like Lindstrom for the Habs, don't understand the direction the Wings want to go in. They are so mid. Nice deal for Montreal IMO
NARC311, Saskleaf et BigBallsBriere a aimé ceci.
15 août 2023 à 18 h 37
Rejoint: févr. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 2,507
Quoting: sensonfire
Alright then.

Who should I listen to and learn from whenever a trade is posted on here?

who? not sure i can say, plenty of bad exemples here too. i gues when valuing a trade, the context is important. i always like to hear what budgeteam has to say, usually its a nuaced analysis, but doesnt comment on all the trades though.
sensonfire a aimé ceci.
15 août 2023 à 18 h 53
NHL Insider
Rejoint: août 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 711
Montreal with yet another L
15 août 2023 à 19 h 11
sensonfire
Rejoint: févr. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 4,458
Quoting: drambui
who? not sure i can say, plenty of bad exemples here too. i gues when valuing a trade, the context is important. i always like to hear what budgeteam has to say, usually its a nuaced analysis, but doesnt comment on all the trades though.

I like hearing from budgeteam too.

Where we might differ is that I prefer to get "straight to the point" on who I think won or lost and not be TLDR.

I also look at which team was made better or worse on the ice as well as past trades that could serve as precedent and not just their cap situation.

As for commenting on all the trades, I just treat a posted trade on Capfriendly like a wishing well.

I just add my two cents like everyone else without pretending to know everything, give a few likes here and there, and leave it at that.

FWIW, I seldom comment on signings made by other teams.

But Capfriendly can always change the forum rules and say something like, "No user shall comment on more than 2 trades per month".

Even if they don't, I mean no harm.
drambui, OldNYIfan, Kerrmess and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
15 août 2023 à 19 h 13
Rejoint: févr. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 2,507
Quoting: sensonfire
I like hearing from budgeteam too.

Where we might differ is that I prefer to get "straight to the point" on who I think won or lost and not be TLDR.

I also look at which team was made better or worse on the ice as well as past trades that could serve as precedent and not just their cap situation.

As for commenting on all the trades, I just treat a posted trade on Capfriendly like a wishing well.

I just add my two cents like everyone else without pretending to know everything, give a few likes here and there, and leave it at that.

FWIW, I don't comment on signings made by other teams.

But Capfriendly can always change the forum rules and say something like, "No user shall comment on more than 2 trades per month".

Even if they don't, I mean no harm.

hey dont worry, i never meant that there is ill-intent on your post or that you post too much! do what feels right! sometime we might not agree on some trades analysis and its ok!
OldNYIfan et sensonfire a aimé ceci.
15 août 2023 à 19 h 53
MontrealCanadiensFAN
Rejoint: janv. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 89
As a habs fan, think we could have gotten more for Petry with retention, if not now maybe at the deadline. If we combine the trade made with the pens and this one, it's a W, but this is one on it's own is an L. I don't believe Lindstrom has any future here even if I hope I'm proved wrong. So I essentially see this as a 4th rd pick + a few games of Lindstrom AND giving up a retention slot for a guy that was worth more imo, which makes this trade on it's own an L.

What is Detroit doing? Really intriguing team. Either the defensive core is going to be as bad as we think of these vets are gonna fit perfectly with each-other. I like it.
turtlemountain a aimé ceci.
15 août 2023 à 23 h 14
Molson beer is meh
Rejoint: janv. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 1,753
Quoting: Ste_Catherine_Street
I would have preferred a 3rd round pick instead of Lindstrom+4th, but ya sure.
I think Det did too well considering Petry will definitely play 2d pairing, above Holl who is making 3M+

The more I look into Lindstrom, the less impressed I get. Seems like DET fans are happy he’s gone too…
So if he gets claimed on waivers, I won’t lose any sleep lol maybe he can be of service in Laval.

One thing is certain imo, this season will be Barron’s big chance to solidify his spot on the top 4 at RD, it’s practically gift wrapped for him… at least until Reinbacher is ready.
15 août 2023 à 23 h 32
Rejoint: juin 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 719
Quoting: Blazingbat11
The more I look into Lindstrom, the less impressed I get. Seems like DET fans are happy he’s gone too…
So if he gets claimed on waivers, I won’t lose any sleep lol maybe he can be of service in Laval.

One thing is certain imo, this season will be Barron’s big chance to solidify his spot on the top 4 at RD, it’s practically gift wrapped for him… at least until Reinbacher is ready.

Yea, very true. Barron has to prove he's better than Kovacevic this year, at a minimum. Kovacevic is a good 6/7th, but Barron was traded for because of the chances he becomes a 2d pairing. Honestly, Hughes traded Romanov for this rsn. Harris/Barron need to solidify their top4 potential before its too late.
16 août 2023 à 0 h 2
Rejoint: nov. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 2,223
I'm waiting to see what SJS retaining 50% of Rutta gets them.
RawDeal et HabsFan61 a aimé ceci.
16 août 2023 à 0 h 31
Rejoint: juin 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 952
Yea, very true. Barron has to prove he's better than Kovacevic this year, at a minimum. Kovacevic is a good 6/7th, but Barron was traded for because of the chances he becomes a 2d pairing. Honestly, Hughes traded Romanov for this rsn. Harris/Barron need to solidify their top4 potential before its too late.

Is it Guhle, Harris, or Xhekaj for the 2nd pair?

Guhle averaged more time on ice last year but Harris played more games.

If playing for long-term upside, I would think Guhle/Barron is their best 2nd pairing long-term. Perhaps Xhekaj can play on the right with Harris on the left for the 3rd pair?
16 août 2023 à 8 h 48
14m in dead cap
Rejoint: mars 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 3,064
Quoting: ColonelX
Edit: In his post trade presser Kent Hughes said he told Petry he'd work expeditiously and wouldn't drag it out trying to maximize every piece of value in the trade. Kent has done right by Petry and it explains the return we got.

This is the part I think most of the people saying it's a bad trade for Montreal are missing. Hughes made a trade to do right by a player, which other players considering signing with Montreal in the future will see. Sometimes it's not about squeezing value out of a player.
RawDeal, ColonelX, Andy_Dick and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
16 août 2023 à 12 h 10
Quoting: HockeyScotty

Guhle averaged more time on ice last year but Harris played more games.

If playing for long-term upside, I would think Guhle/Barron is their best 2nd pairing long-term. Perhaps Xhekaj can play on the right with Harris on the left for the 3rd pair?

I'm not sure. I don't think either Harris/Xhekaj can play on the right.
16 août 2023 à 12 h 29
Mentions "j'aime": 143

Romanov is a left D, his being traded had nothing to do with Barron.

Guhle, without question. He's the team's top left defensive prospect.
HabsFan61 a aimé ceci.
16 août 2023 à 12 h 35
Quoting: Colonel_Green

I don't think you understood what I said at all.
I know Romanov is a left D. Thank you for your contribution.
16 août 2023 à 12 h 46
Mentions "j'aime": 952
Quoting: Colonel_Green

That seems the case from my outsider viewpoint. Leaving Harris as the 3rd pair LD? And who on the right; and as the 7th?

Wideman/Kovacevic/Lindstrom in the mix

Xhekaj/Mailloux as the top pair in Laval?
16 août 2023 à 18 h 58
Molson beer is meh
Mentions "j'aime": 1,753
That seems the case from my outsider viewpoint. Leaving Harris as the 3rd pair LD? And who on the right; and as the 7th?

Wideman/Kovacevic/Lindstrom in the mix

Xhekaj/Mailloux as the top pair in Laval?

Pairings will probably have a vet dman with a younger player if possible, not to mention Matheson and Barron showed really good chemistry towards the end of last season. So: Matheson - Barron and Guhle - Savard should be the default top 4 to start the season. The bottom pairing will be any combo of Harris, Xhekaj, Kovacevic, Wideman, and now Lindstrom I guess. With Wideman and Lindstrom being waivers fodder…
Both Harris and Xhekaj played RD last season, but it wasn’t ideal.

I have a theory that Lindstrom may have been acquired as a back up plan for Laval and NHL depth with injuries if Mailloux doesn’t get approval to play pro (still no word yet, which isn’t a good sign)
HockeyScotty a aimé ceci.
16 août 2023 à 20 h 7
Retired V2 V3 GM
Rejoint: mai 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 1,141
Big win for Detroit. They must still be mad from when Petry scored 2 back 2 back goals on them this past season lol
17 août 2023 à 11 h 50
HabsFanSinceThe60s
Rejoint: avr. 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 72
Fair deal
17 août 2023 à 11 h 58
HabsFanSinceThe60s
Rejoint: avr. 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 72
Quoting: ColonelX
The "DeTrOiT dOeSn'T wAnT pEtRy" fanclub looking amazing today!

Edit: In his post trade presser Kent Hughes said he told Petry he'd work expeditiously and wouldn't drag it out trying to maximize every piece of value in the trade. Kent has done right by Petry and it explains the return we got.

I don’t think the return we got was too far off what we would have had on a true open market. I always hoped the best case was a 2nd rounder from a contender. I’m happy we have a young defenceman on the right who can fight for bottom pairing minutes.
17 août 2023 à 16 h 48
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Rejoint: juill. 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 22,693
Great for the Wings. Great for Petry. Montreal did well...via the Pittsburg trade, getting two assets for Petry who didn't want to be in Montreal.
HabsFan61 a aimé ceci.
19 août 2023 à 11 h 14
Go leafs go
Rejoint: avr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 9,194
Funny how habs fans were celebrating the trade to reacquire Petry and this trade happens. It’s a fine deal considering the context of the first deal but it’s understandable now how Montreal got a second round pick to take him on.
19 août 2023 à 17 h 38
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 548
For Montreal, you have to look at this trade in the context of the Karlsson trade, because clearly they did not intend to keep Petry when they acquired him from Pittsburgh. I believe these trades are not about dumping salary. They’re strictly about making room in the lineup for young players, and getting back whatever futures they can for the older players they’re moving out. The cap implications don’t matter to them, because as long as they have Carey Price’s contract on the books, they can’t accrue cap space. That’s why they didn’t mind giving up a year of Hoffman, only to take on a similar amount spread over two years for a player (Petry) they don’t even have.

To make the Karlsson trade a success for Montreal, all they had to do was move Petry out and get a positive asset – anything, really – back for him. Retaining salary made him attractive enough for Detroit to do that. I wouldn’t be surprised to see them do something similar with DeSmith if they can find a taker.

Detroit didn’t look like they needed Petry either, but at that price, the deal was too good to pass up. They were willing to let Lindstrom go for nothing less than two months ago, so the draft pick was really the only thing of value they gave up. They have plenty of cap space, so it doesn’t matter if they’ll be paying their #7 defenseman $3M. However, when Edvinsson’s ready for the NHL, they’ll probably need to move out a veteran, like Montreal has been doing, to clear a spot for him.

Good trade for both teams considering their strategies -- Montreal building their defence with youth, Detroit with experience.
KSIxSKULLS et TenYearsGone a aimé ceci.
20 août 2023 à 0 h 32
BostonTerriers
Rejoint: août 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 15
Quoting: jr400
For Montreal, you have to look at this trade in the context of the Karlsson trade, because clearly they did not intend to keep Petry when they acquired him from Pittsburgh. I believe these trades are not about dumping salary. They’re strictly about making room in the lineup for young players, and getting back whatever futures they can for the older players they’re moving out. The cap implications don’t matter to them, because as long as they have Carey Price’s contract on the books, they can’t accrue cap space. That’s why they didn’t mind giving up a year of Hoffman, only to take on a similar amount spread over two years for a player (Petry) they don’t even have.

To make the Karlsson trade a success for Montreal, all they had to do was move Petry out and get a positive asset – anything, really – back for him. Retaining salary made him attractive enough for Detroit to do that. I wouldn’t be surprised to see them do something similar with DeSmith if they can find a taker.

Detroit didn’t look like they needed Petry either, but at that price, the deal was too good to pass up. They were willing to let Lindstrom go for nothing less than two months ago, so the draft pick was really the only thing of value they gave up. They have plenty of cap space, so it doesn’t matter if they’ll be paying their #7 defenseman $3M. However, when Edvinsson’s ready for the NHL, they’ll probably need to move out a veteran, like Montreal has been doing, to clear a spot for him.

Good trade for both teams considering their strategies -- Montreal building their defence with youth, Detroit with experience.

Getting Petry at that cheap a price is a smart move. I’d rather have 7 experienced defencemen than not have enough.
20 août 2023 à 1 h 32
Rejoint: janv. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 233
Apparently Hughes informed Petry that he would do his best to trade him to an American team (Detroit if possible) as quickly as he could and would try to get the deal done in time for Petry to get his family settled before his son started school. Hughes probably could have held onto him and got more value, Petry probably would have understood trades can take time, especially when the GM is trying to get you to a specific team at your request, but Hughes wanted to get it done and do right by Petry (and probably valued opening up a spot for the younger guys a decent amount). Not the best trade, in a vacuum it's an L for MTL, but they already got assets and moved a bad contract for taking him so I can understand not worrying about maximizing the return. If Petry is even 75% of what he was through most of his time in MTL it's a great deal for Detroit at that cap hit.
16 oct. 2023 à 13 h 38
You know nothing JS
Mentions "j'aime": 4,431
Petry benched in the 3rd game of the season. This haven't aged well for Detroit in a heartbeat...
Andy_Dick a aimé ceci.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Chargement de l'animation
Soumettre les modifications du sondage