(OTT/BOS) - Kastelic, Korpisalo, 2024 1st (BOS) for Ullmark

Who won the trade?
Le graphique a été masqué

Options de sondage

lun. à 20 h 2
couldnt afford 2nd t
Rejoint: sept. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 461
If Boston had to take Korpisalo with only 1M retained to get the 25th pick, it leaves you wondering what the return on Ullmark would have been without taking Korpisalo, and what the sweetener would have been for Ottawa to dump Korpisalo @ 3M on a different team.

Maybe Boston has something creative in the works to dump Korpisalo to a third team with additional retention either by them or a third party team? At what point does Korpisalo start to look like a valuable asset in the current goalie market? If they retain 1.5M, is he worth a 2nd?

I don't think taking back money is that surprising in a trade like this, but taking back as much term as they did is crazy. Especially with the return being as it was.
sensonfire, gmgb et HockeyScotty a aimé ceci.
lun. à 20 h 2
Just Keep Swimming
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 5,791
Goalies never cost much. The market is far too narrow for them to be valued highly. The people expecting hauls were always in for disappointment - and yet they always forget the lesson
habitantlecolon et Trickster a aimé ceci.
lun. à 20 h 2
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 1,152
Quoting: JackAce91
I think it's possible, I just don't understand why they would care to bother trying. They're a cash strapped team, so a $3 million backup goalie that might revive his career is risky. Especially when they've got Brandon Bussi sitting in the minors who I thought was meant to be the backup soon, if not this year.

Just really strange

When I saw him get signed I had a feeling we'd see an Ullmark trade soon. Regardless 3 million for a backup is 500k/1 million to much. While I do think Boston will revive his career just not enough especially considering this is an in division trade
JackAce91 a aimé ceci.
lun. à 20 h 3
Goodbye everyone
Rejoint: avr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 9,304
I think the sens win this one, but not by as much as people think. Korp is going to be better in Boston and Ullmark is going to be worse in Ottawa. But I still like this better for Ottawa
palhal, sensonfire, OldNYIfan and 4 others a aimé ceci.
lun. à 20 h 3
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 321
I don't see a world in which this helps Boston. If you're trading Ullmark, you should want back 1 of two things: cap space or a top-6 center/forward. They didn't really get back either with this. Saved just over $1 million in cap space and the player they got back is a 4th liner.

I have to wonder if there is something else coming. 25th overall pick doesn't really do much for a team trying to win immediately.
sensonfire et gmgb a aimé ceci.
lun. à 20 h 4
Le patriote
Rejoint: déc. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 1,506
Boston wins that. Prove me wrong wink
Samuel_Legare et Jfstompers a aimé ceci.
lun. à 20 h 5
couldnt afford 2nd t
Rejoint: sept. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 461
Quoting: Claesson4Norris
All that said, Korpisalo will probably be a fine backup to Swayman

There is a chance that he is perfectly fine next year in a different system or whatever.

The issue is more, why is Boston taking the risk? Why it is difficult to get goalies right now, Korpisalo's term is a bigger issue than his cap hit. If they took Forsberg for example, who has a similar cap hit at 1 year, nobody would bat an eye. If you asked someone what it would cost to dump Korpisalo at 3M x 4Y, they likely would have thought 25th or at the very least a few 2nd or 3rd round picks.

If I am Boston, I would rather take a 2nd round pick and not have to take back the contract.

Maybe they have an avenue to get rid of him and get another asset through some cap wizardry, and he isn't staying.
sensonfire et JackAce91 a aimé ceci.
lun. à 20 h 5
pmb
Rejoint: nov. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 190
its funny because of all the people that always say ''thats not enough'' ''x team laugh in your face and hang up the phone'' etc etc but when the trade comes in real life its always less than that
TheBoyDuddus et sensonfire a aimé ceci.
lun. à 20 h 5
Rejoint: juin 2024
Mentions "j'aime": 73
Thoughts from a Senators fan:

1. Pay attention other Senator fans. Your return expectations isn't going to be close to what you want back in a trade. I am looking at all you salvating at an amazing Chychrun return.

2. Not completely sold on Ullmark as a bonafide starter. He's an amazing 1A, but has never played more than 44 games in a year. He needs a reliable backup and I don't think Forsberg and his busted legs are it.

3. That said, I am glad it wasn't an overpayment for Ullmark. Good return for Ottawa. Good cap relief for Boston once they buy out Korpo.
mart a aimé ceci.
lun. à 20 h 6
pmb
Rejoint: nov. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 190
Quoting: habitantlecolon
Boston wins that. Prove me wrong wink

avec la defense d'ottawa, probablement
mart a aimé ceci.
lun. à 20 h 7
Rejoint: juin 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 3,652
Almost like people on this site know absolutely nothing about what certain players will return in trades. Countless times this site has been shocked by what the actual trade is vs the mock trades on here lol.
mv21227 a aimé ceci.
lun. à 20 h 12
Rejoint: févr. 2024
Mentions "j'aime": 542
Cool, now we can stop the Ullmark to Detroit for 15 threads.
lun. à 20 h 12
Fruad
Rejoint: mai 2024
Mentions "j'aime": 12
Quoting: Claesson4Norris
Still lowkey think Chabot is the one whe ends up there idk

I'll take either
lun. à 20 h 15
SkateOrDie
Mentions "j'aime": 641
WPG fans, take note.... objects in the mirror are closer than they appear.
mart a aimé ceci.
lun. à 20 h 15
torontos finest
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,315
capfriendly is going down so the gms are making all the forbidden trades
sensonfire, mart et RawDeal a aimé ceci.
lun. à 20 h 19
SkateOrDie
Mentions "j'aime": 641
Honestly, BOS GM is to blame for his one.

His ask was ridiculous and that chased out the only team willing to pay. They took Markstrom instead and then the market was tanked.
He could have probably done much better if he was more realistic.

As is there isn't a whole lot of value here. 1st... I'd say a lot of that first is just for taking back Korpi. It's 6 years of over 1 mil cap hit on a buyout
Now matter how Ullmark plays, this deal looks like a wash as is.
lun. à 20 h 20
Rejoint: juin 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 145
Wow, what a great trade for Ottawa.

And I know we've said that a couple of times in the past few years where things didn't quite come off, but whatever, this genuinely looks very promising.

Boston must be hoping that their defence can make Korpisalo serviceable, but all the same, I really don't get this from their perspective unless Ullmark really tied their hands.
sensonfire a aimé ceci.
lun. à 20 h 21
I like many teams
Rejoint: mars 2024
Mentions "j'aime": 9
Hot take here but Boston actually wins this (unless Ullmark can miraculously be a .915 goalie in Ottawa, which I would have to see).
They get a young forward, over $1 mil in cap space, a goalie (retained) who can easily bounce back in Boston, and a late first round pick.
Ullmark was definitely overhyped as a trade target and this trade seems more reasonable to what he should be returning, especially if this was the best offer Boston got.
Sens fans just have to pray he does not get extended massively only to fall off.

Ottawa did fine here - loss of a bit of cap space and some asset value but if Ullmark plays close to the way he played in Boston, Ottawa could have a huge improvement next season.
HockeyScotty a aimé ceci.
lun. à 20 h 29
Rejoint: juin 2024
Mentions "j'aime": 73
Quoting: RagsWingsAvsDucks
Hot take here but Boston actually wins this (unless Ullmark can miraculously be a .915 goalie in Ottawa, which I would have to see).
They get a young forward, over $1 mil in cap space, a goalie (retained) who can easily bounce back in Boston, and a late first round pick.
Ullmark was definitely overhyped as a trade target and this trade seems more reasonable to what he should be returning, especially if this was the best offer Boston got.
Sens fans just have to pray he does not get extended massively only to fall off.

Ottawa did fine here - loss of a bit of cap space and some asset value but if Ullmark plays close to the way he played in Boston, Ottawa could have a huge improvement next season.

Staois's first move if you don't count Katchouk. Hopefully he starts improving the team's defense next.

Before Boston, Ullmark was on horrible Buffalo teams, doing well, so I have faith he can play behind subpar teams. Swayman on the other hand... don't know how he's going to react to a goalie looking to take his place instead of giving him a hug after every game and increasing his work load by 10-15 games after getting the pressure of a raise.
sensonfire a aimé ceci.
lun. à 20 h 36
Rejoint: janv. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 160
Awful for BOS. They took 4 years of Korp for basically Kastelic. Sweeny should be fired for this, especially before he has a chance to waste the 1st at the draft
lun. à 20 h 38
I Love J Boqvist
Rejoint: janv. 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 3,883
Checks out for rental goalie
NJDevils1317 a aimé ceci.
lun. à 20 h 40
Pop Pop
Rejoint: févr. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 8,488
Korpisalo will have better numbers than ullmark this season, you can see it coming
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
lun. à 20 h 43
IG vincemark78
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 97
lol they could get way more than that at the deadline AND they got out of the korpi deal... i'd be pumped if i was Ottawa rn this looks silly bad... they valued the 25 pick that highly?? geeze don
sensonfire a aimé ceci.
lun. à 20 h 47
Rejoint: mai 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 3,711
I feel like Boston actively made this return worse for them as I sort of assume they wanted a retained korpi. It in the end they save 2 million on their backup to massively downgrade and now have to pay one of the worst goalies in the league 3 mil for 4 years. Korpi is an objectively bad goalies. Literally one of the worst since he entered the league. So... Boston screwed up

Flipside, I guess we will see if Boston's system truly does make goalies seem better than they are
sensonfire et Trickster a aimé ceci.
lun. à 20 h 49
Rejoint: mai 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 3,711
Quoting: budgeteam
If Boston had to take Korpisalo with only 1M retained to get the 25th pick, it leaves you wondering what the return on Ullmark would have been without taking Korpisalo, and what the sweetener would have been for Ottawa to dump Korpisalo 3M on a different team.

Maybe Boston has something creative in the works to dump Korpisalo to a third team with additional retention either by them or a third party team? At what point does Korpisalo start to look like a valuable asset in the current goalie market? If they retain 1.5M, is he worth a 2nd?

I don't think taking back money is that surprising in a trade like this, but taking back as much term as they did is crazy. Especially with the return being as it was.

Korpisalo is literally one of the worst goalies in the league.

Since korpisalo entered the league 64 goalies have played 140 gp. ie enough for 2 goalies per team

https://www.nhl.com/stats/goalies?reportType=season&seasonFrom=20152016&seasonTo=20232024&gameType=2&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,140&sort=savePct&page=0&pageSize=64

He's 3rd last in save percentage and 5th last in gaa

Last 4 years he's 4th last in sv% and 7th last in gaa. He sucks.
Trickster a aimé ceci.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Chargement de l'animation
Soumettre les modifications du sondage