SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Toronto Maple Leafs signed William Nylander (8 Years / $11,500,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
Le graphique a été masqué

Options de sondage

8 janv. à 13 h 22
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 20,960
69m in bonus be pretty funny
CameronSquires a aimé ceci.
8 janv. à 13 h 22
Leafs going to Leafs
Rejoint: déc. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 2,948
Quoting: aktobos71
Maybe my choice of words was wrong, he was most most "showing up when matters" of 4. And if only Brad used this argument, maybe cap hit changed to 11.4.

Nylander only got that reputation bc of his 7 mill AAV...
8 janv. à 13 h 24
Rejoint: juill. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 480
I voted yes because on it's own, I think Nylander's new deal is worth it. He made noticeable strides over the last couple of seasons, and the underlying numbers back up those improvements. But where the Leafs will run into problems is with their roster construction; it was incredibly top-heavy before and will be even more so now. I think there's a world where Toronto can potentially win a cup with a roster like this, but it would require them to be incredibly savvy with filling out the rest of the lineup, finding a plethora of undervalued players who will greatly outperform their contracts. So far the Leafs have not done this.

As a side note, Nylander's two closest contract comparables are Pastrnak's and Huberdeau's recent deals. It'll be interesting to revisit his contract in a couple of years and see where it lands on that spectrum.
GiggywithGibby et A_Habs_fan a aimé ceci.
8 janv. à 13 h 26
Rejoint: nov. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 24
Quoting: IconicHawk
Not calling Nylander a scrub but this is about 2.5M too much

And he's constantly hanging out the passenger side of his best friend's ride trying to holler at me...
HockeyScotty a aimé ceci.
8 janv. à 13 h 31
No regretzkys
Rejoint: août 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 389
Quoting: Leafsfan98
Bad deal

Nylander's an 8-9 million dollar player

He plays against 2nd line competition, and he doesn't go full throttle all the time

If he hits a scoring slump, he doesn't offer positive value bc his defence sucks...

I hope TO gets a cup but it becomes harder

You lose all credibility when you say Willy is an 8-9 million dollar player.
Just a ridiculous thing to say.
I'll listen to someone saying its 250k-1mill overpay, but 2.5-3.5 overpay??? Ridiculous.
trademaster20 a aimé ceci.
8 janv. à 13 h 32
Rejoint: avr. 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 1,232
Quoting: Leafsfan98
Toronto doesn't need another goalie, Woll and Hildeby are most likely the future

Woll and Hildeby probably aren't a tandem that's going to win you a cup
AK50 a aimé ceci.
8 janv. à 13 h 33
Rejoint: mai 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 18,356
Quick-and-dirty comparison to previous big winger deals.

With age at signing, PPG for last 82 (1yr), 164 (2yr), 246 (3yr) team games along with % of cap for first year of deal.

NAME (age)…................1yr…......2yr….....3yr…...Cap%

Nylander (27.7 yrs)…...1.21…...1.13…...1.05…...13.1%

Meier (26.7 yrs)….........0.86…...0.92…...0.83…...10.5%
Pastrnak (26.8 yrs)…....1.38…...1.16…...1.17…...13.5%
Huberdeau (29.2 yrs)..1.44…...1.22…...1.23…...12.7%
Tkachuk (24.6 yrs)….....1.27…...1.05…...0.97…...11.5%
Gaudreau (28.9 yrs)…..1.40…...1.14…...1.04…...11.8%

Forsberg (27.9 yrs)…....1.22…...0.99…...0.92…...10.3%
Panarin (27.7 yrs)…......1.10…...1.06…...1.00…...14.3%
Skinner (27.1 yrs)…......0.77…...0.68…...0.72…...11.0%
Stone (26.8 yrs)….........1.05…...1.02…...0.95…...11.7%
Seguin (26.6 yrs)….......0.95…...0.91…...0.94…...12.1%

Kucherov (25.1 yrs)…..1.25…...1.20…...1.09…...11.9%
Benn (27.0 yrs)…..........1.09…...1.07…...1.04…...13.0%
Stamkos (26.4 yrs)…....0.86…...0.86…...0.90…...11.6%
Voracek (26 yrs)…........0.99…...0.87…...0.87…...11.3%
Kane (25.6 yrs)…..........1.00…...0.99…...0.98…...14.7%

Giroux (25.5 yrs)….......1.06…...1.10…...0.98…...12.0%
Perry (27.8 yrs)….........0.79…...0.97…...0.93…...13.4%
mk458 a aimé ceci.
8 janv. à 13 h 34
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: MadLin27
You lose all credibility when you say Willy is an 8-9 million dollar player.
Just a ridiculous thing to say.
I'll listen to someone saying its 250k-1mill overpay, but 2.5-3.5 overpay??? Ridiculous.

He is though...

Has Nylander hit 50 goals?
Has Nylander hit 100 points?
Is Nylander serviceable defensively?
Has Nylander carried a team the way David Pastrnak has?
Is Nylander the 5th best player in the NHL?

Why are all these answers no?
arab05, exo2769, AK50 and 4 others a aimé ceci.
8 janv. à 13 h 36
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: seanrushton
Woll and Hildeby probably aren't a tandem that's going to win you a cup

Woll is... Especially with how he's played in the NHL, sign a 3rd string vet and strengthen the defence

As we've seen with Jones, good defence can make any goalie look unbeatable, so strengthen the defence
AK50 a aimé ceci.
8 janv. à 13 h 37
Rejoint: mai 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 6,145
I think Nylander deserved the Gaudreau contract. No more, no less.
Leafsfan98, AK50, Saskleaf and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
8 janv. à 13 h 43
Rejoint: juill. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 246
Quoting: Random2152
First of all, Nylander is worth 11 mil. I've been saying this for a long time now. If you don't think so - you're simply wrong

Second, he signed at a similar cap% as comparable wingers at the time like Benn, Stone, and Perry. Don't let the raw number fool you this isnt out of the blue.

Third and most importantly, Trev completely ****ed this negotiation up. If they were scared Nylander might walk - the time to "cave in" was in the summer. As it stands Nylander is at peak value and there is no reason to cave now 30 some odd games after refusing to go above 9mil. They should have waited out the year and let Reinhart get a comparable deal or let Willie cool off. Even if he didn't they could always just pay him this in June no problem. No one in the league can match 92 million dollars!

There was no risk!

What a horrible GM Trev has turned out to be. Worst fears confirmed about him

Fourth, I am very exited to have Willie be a life long leaf. Amazing player who has the perfect mentality for the market. Ideal Leaf and for that reason its still a good deal even with Trev being a panicky idiot.

I expect CF to vote it down. They also voted down both Matthews deals so that should tell you how little you should value that

Of course there are the usual worries about deals like this aging but I don't see any reason to suggest the risk is any more than any other comparable star so whatever. Would have liked us to get this down to 5 or 6 years given the aav, but I'll live with it.

GDVC7IAWgAI_jSc?format=jpg&name=small

I figure he will drop down to somewhere around a point per game to a 100 point pace for the next few years, and that's fine for what he will cost

This is pretty bang on. This contract is far better than losing Nylander for nothing, and if you were trying to win this player over to your team, you sign it in a heartbeat.

The big L here for BT is that he allowed it to get to this point. There was a lot of risk of this happening, and it was obviously there. Expectations changed the second the NHL announced a cap increase for next season, and throw in Nylander's point streak and another year where he just plain looks better than the year prior (which has been Nylander's trajectory) and you basically have a GM that lit $1.5M in cap space on fire trying to save $500K. That's a terrible bet.

Reality is, when the Leafs ask was just under $9M and Nylander was at $10M, they should have realized there was more for Nylander to gain than the Leafs, and should have hammered away at it until a deal was done in the offseason. You could have just caved and gave him $10M and that would have been a win in hindsight.

BT's decision making has been mostly very poor with Toronto, but I think it's Shanahan that really should be feeling the heat. Forget about what people think of Dubas, but how does a president of hockey operations go from offering an extension to Dubas to firing him over a 48 hour period with no backup plan in place? What other organization would fire their GM in the middle of their competitive window? I mean I get the lack of playoff wins, but still, no other team would fire a GM of a team that has the record that the Leafs had over the last 5 seasons, especially going into an absolutely critical 24 month window where every star forward will need a new contract.

If this Leafs core ever wins, it's now going to be in spite of management, not assisted by it.
Trickster, mk458 et oneX a aimé ceci.
8 janv. à 13 h 44
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 2,513
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
Price is completely justified given Nylander's play this season IMO, but based on the larger picture I would have expected something closer to 9.5m

Not complaining about a 2m overpay of the expected deal when it comes to someone of Nylanders ability. So stoked to have him for another 8 seasons beyond this one

Yeah because guys who have absolute career years in a contract year never regress! Especially guys with questionable work ethic on the ice.
Newgod77 et Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
8 janv. à 13 h 48
Future Ducks legend
Rejoint: juin 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 6,659
Full NMC the whole way through, heavy on the signing bonuses (last two years max signing bonus) so it's basically buyout proof, and while Nylander is probably worth the cap hit, it's not a cap hit I feel Toronto realistically can stomach.

Best hope Tavares or whoever will replace him at 2C at the end of his deal will take a hell of a team friendly discount, like Giordano level discount.
8 janv. à 13 h 49
Rejoint: mai 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 3,695
Man treliving sucks at his job. How was this a negotiation? I can't imagine Nylander asked for more. He gave him a full NMC too. Treliving sucks
8 janv. à 13 h 52
Rejoint: mars 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 24
They won’t win with this core now…

Should’ve kept Dubas.

This is what happens when you sign the guy who paid and traded for Jonathan Huberdeau!!

And for those leafs fans who are drinking copium. You just signed a guy to 11.5 who does not play defensively, go in corners, and has incredible lows in performance randomly throughout the season. This is the first season he has been consistently DECENT!! Not to mention that since it’s 8 yrs he’s gonna fall off hard on the later half of the deal!! WINGERS ARE NOT WORTH 11+ in this cap unless they can run a line with no other superstars (something Willy can’t do and never will be able to do). The only way this cap hit would have been justified is if the deal was half as long.

Worst signing of this season so far no if ands or buts about it. Enjoy your cupless rebuild in 5-7 years.
AK50 et Leafsfan98 a aimé ceci.
8 janv. à 13 h 58
McMann Season
Mentions "j'aime": 941
Quoting: patti200219
They won’t win with this core now…

Should’ve kept Dubas.

This is what happens when you sign the guy who paid and traded for Jonathan Huberdeau!!

And for those leafs fans who are drinking copium. You just signed a guy to 11.5 who does not play defensively, go in corners, and has incredible lows in performance randomly throughout the season. This is the first season he has been consistently DECENT!! Not to mention that since it’s 8 yrs he’s gonna fall off hard on the later half of the deal!! WINGERS ARE NOT WORTH 11+ in this cap unless they can run a line with no other superstars (something Willy can’t do and never will be able to do). The only way this cap hit would have been justified is if the deal was half as long.

Worst signing of this season so far no if ands or buts about it. Enjoy your cupless rebuild in 5-7 years.

That’s a lot of words for sure
LeafsForLife a aimé ceci.
8 janv. à 14 h 0
Rejoint: juill. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 729
Toronto expecting Minten and Cowan to make significant contributions next year
8 janv. à 14 h 3
McMann Season
Mentions "j'aime": 941
Quoting: Newgod77
Toronto expecting Minten and Cowan to make significant contributions next year

Minten? Maybe, Cowan? I don’t think so
8 janv. à 14 h 7
Retired V2 V3 GM
Rejoint: mai 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 1,141
lol no team can win with 4 players getting paid over 40 Million. Just doesn’t happen. Team won’t be balanced.
8 janv. à 14 h 16
I Love J Boqvist
Rejoint: janv. 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 3,134
Had to do it. Nylander had all the leverage.

Tough pill to swallow tho.

Perhaps only getting 5 and 6 years to walk them straight to UFA (with trade protections to give them more leverage when it came time to extend them) on your 1st time RFAs while paying them market value was a bad idea
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
8 janv. à 14 h 23
Big Dawg JT
Rejoint: août 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 455
winning comes second frown
exo2769 et SlavaDark a aimé ceci.
8 janv. à 14 h 25
JT Miller for Hart
Rejoint: févr. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 715
On one hand, good for Toronto that he’s sticking around, arguably their best guy in the postseason and fits great on the team. On the other hand, 11.5 is way too much. If he signed for 4 years, fine, but this is a terrible contract considering it takes him well into his mid 30s meaning they have to pay for his decline. This contract will sets a bad precedent as well for other players(I’m sure Petey’s looking at this deal), Leaf’s lose. If they couldn’t have signed him for under 11, I woulda dealt him to a place where he would’ve(team in a tax-free state).
IMO, pretty reminiscent of Huberdeau’s deal. But At least he’ll be a top 15 winger for at least half of this deal.
8 janv. à 14 h 29
Go leafs go
Rejoint: avr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 9,193
Quoting: IconicHawk
Not calling Nylander a scrub but this is about 2.5M too much

I would have been fine with 10 mil especially at the pace he’s being going this year. 11.5 is an overpayment. There’s no way around it
RawDeal a aimé ceci.
8 janv. à 15 h 24
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 855
It's good in a vacuum, but how the hell can Toronto afford this.
8 janv. à 15 h 33
Go leafs go
Rejoint: avr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 9,193
Quoting: CSStrowbridge
It's good in a vacuum, but how the hell can Toronto afford this.

Surprisingly it’s not as bad as you’d think. Nylanders raise is more or less covered by the rising cap. But that doesn’t change the fact that it’s an overpay.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Chargement de l'animation
Soumettre les modifications du sondage