SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Ottawa Senators signed Jake Sanderson (8 Years / $8,050,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
Le graphique a été masqué

Options de sondage

7 sept. 2023 à 0 h 46
couldnt afford 2nd t
Rejoint: sept. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 431
Quoting: Conbon
Buyout costs 1.3m this is not nearly as risky as everyone is saying it is.

That is something people need to consider with these U26 contracts.

The fan sentiment towards Sanderson has been negative ever since he was drafted because people online who aren't in the scouting community have a bias against risers. He had an extremely strong draft year and would have been taken by multiple teams in the top 5 ahead of Drysdale. Yet, because people get attached to names that hyped up for years ahead of the draft, he was a controversial pick at 5 - and because the Senators aren't a popular team right now, not a lot of people watched him as a rookie.

This is a no-brainer contract.
RawDeal, YoungPattyKane et yikes a aimé ceci.
7 sept. 2023 à 0 h 46
Amirov Forever
Rejoint: mars 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 6,037
I remember getting called crazy for thinking the Stutzle deal was a slam dunk. I have a similar feeling about this deal. Love the gamble for the Sens
7 sept. 2023 à 0 h 47
Rejoint: juill. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 2,911
Quoting: HelmutCool
He gets 11M now then? grin Or more?

Does this contract not make you at least ask the question?
HelmutCool a aimé ceci.
7 sept. 2023 à 0 h 49
couldnt afford 2nd t
Quoting: Rangsey
Did the Senators just sign this deal to screw over the Buffalo Sabres? Did this deal make Dahlin an extra million dollars

Dahlin's deal was basically a UFA deal. It only has 1 RFA year in it. For Dahlin, the comparison's would be Karlsson, Dougthy Pietrangelo, etc.

It's likely the opposite, that Dahlin signing for 10.5 put into perspective that 8M for an 8 year deal with 6 RFA years is market value for Sanderson. If you combined both of Dahlin's two contracts and just take the 8 years after his ELC, his AAV would have been about 8.8M. Given that Dahlin is better than Sanderson, that makes sense.
7 sept. 2023 à 0 h 55
couldnt afford 2nd t
Quoting: exo2769
I'm curious how pissed off Chychrun is. Dude came off a .38ppg season as a 1st pair D in AZ and signed a 6 year $4.6M per deal when the cap ceiling was $81.5M. Sanderson coming off ONE YEAR at .41ppg season NOT on the 1st pair while the cap was $83.5M...got EIGHT MILLION PER!!!!

***EDIT*** Honest question here. How is his contract even up? He played zero games in 2021-2022. He signed his deal on March 22nd of 2022. I know I'm the one missing something, but it still feels off.

-Chychrun only signed for 6 years.
-He had added incentive to secure the bag due to facing injuries in his first two seasons that he played before signing.
-Chychrun did not have rookie or sophomore years anywhere near as strong as Sanderson's rookie year. He wasn't a top pairing defenseman.
-Chychrun's resume prior to entering the NHL also was nowhere near as strong as Sanderson's.

They are apples to oranges. Chychrun was a bottom pairing D as a rookie, and a mid-pairing D as a sophomore, He didn't break out as a top pairing defenseman until after signing the contract. Sanderson was the Senators #1 defenseman by the end of the season and overall had the toughest deployment all season.
7 sept. 2023 à 1 h 3
couldnt afford 2nd t
Quoting: MatthewsFan
Gotta ask, why did OTT trade for Jakob Chychrun. Are they planning on paying 3 LD over 7+ million.

Ottawa needed another top 4 defenseman. Chychrun had term on a great contract, and had local ties. He can play both sides so handedness is less relevant. None of the three have strong trade protection, so it isn't as though they couldn't make a change if they felt they needed to move someone out. Chychrun is also a local boy, who seems to be excited to play for Ottawa. Similar to how Debrincat signed a soft contract to go to Detroit, Ottawa might be able to convince Chychrun to take a little bit less because he wants to be in Ottawa.

The cap is also projected to go up by a large amount. Capfriendly has it set at 92 million for the year a Chychrun extension would kick in. Chabot and Sanderson at 8M under a 92M cap would be like having them at 7.25M under the current 83.5M cap. If they can convince Chychrun to take a hometown discount and come in at somewhere around 8 million, that's doable.

I could also see them possibly trading Chabot at one point before the rest of the league realize he is shell-shocked from being made to play 30 minutes a game on a budget Ottawa Senators team for many years. The thing is, they really don't have any good prospects on defense, so I can't seem them doing that unless there is a deal to bring in another top 4 defenseman from somewhere else. Unless someone breaks out unexpectedly, they don't have anybody in the system who could fill a top 4 spot internally.
7 sept. 2023 à 1 h 12
Rejoint: juill. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 2,911
Quoting: budgeteam
Dahlin's deal was basically a UFA deal. It only has 1 RFA year in it. For Dahlin, the comparison's would be Karlsson, Dougthy Pietrangelo, etc.

It's likely the opposite, that Dahlin signing for 10.5 put into perspective that 8M for an 8 year deal with 6 RFA years is market value for Sanderson. If you combined both of Dahlin's two contracts and just take the 8 years after his ELC, his AAV would have been about 8.8M. Given that Dahlin is better than Sanderson, that makes sense.

Valid but Karlsson, Doughty Pietro were signed a long time ago.

Deals for Makar and Fox would have lowered the Dahlin deal. Now this one comes along and regard of UFA/RFA status LHD in the NHL can expect to get paid more than they would have yesterday.
7 sept. 2023 à 1 h 20
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 855
Too much money for too long for such a short resume.
7 sept. 2023 à 1 h 31
couldnt afford 2nd t
Quoting: Rangsey
Valid but Karlsson, Doughty Pietro were signed a long time ago.

Deals for Makar and Fox would have lowered the Dahlin deal. Now this one comes along and regard of UFA/RFA status LHD in the NHL can expect to get paid more than they would have yesterday.

Makar signed coming right off his ELC. He has 4 RFA years in the deal, Dahlin only has 1. Had Makar signed a bridge like Dahlin, and played out his remaining RFA years, he also would be in the 10-12 million range.

Fox also didn't bridge. His deal has 4 RFA years in it.

That is why they aren't entirely comparable. Dahlin's contract was basically a UFA contract since it only had 1 (arb) RFA year in it.

Werenski, Jones, McAvoy, Nurse, etc - those players are all north of 9M and at a similar age bracket to Dahlin. They all signed for north of 9 on contracts that either entirely or almost entirely buy up UFA years. The Dahlin deal makes sense in the context of those deals.

The Sanderson deal does nothing to push forward or change how young defensemen are dealt with. If a player is a top pairing defenseman on their ELC, and they sign 7-8 years, they get 10-11 percent of the cap. Sanderson is considered to be a blue chip defense prospect who was just the best defender on his team as a rookie, and played top pairing minutes with difficult assignments. The only thing that is peculiar about this contract is Sanderson getting it after 1 season instead of 2, but that is not enough to dictate that it has somehow reset or changed the market.

If Buffalo is negotiating with Owen Power, it's not like they were about to sign him for 7.5 x 8 and now they are going, WAIT A MINUTE SANDERSON GOT 8...and then someone butts in and goes "Excuse me sir, it was actually 8.05!" - They likely already know that Power is going to get anywhere from 8.2M-9.2M (on 7-8 years), because that is what all the historical comparisons would put him at, and Sanderson's contract did nothing to alter those comparisons. Power is seen as the better player, and was seen as the more coveted prospect, so he's already lined up to get more.
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
7 sept. 2023 à 3 h 45
Rejoint: juin 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 768
Love it! Sanderson is an absolute stud! Probably one of those contracts that looks high at the time of signing and in 2/3 years everyone will praise for locking him up! Great player and deal.
AlTintin1122 a aimé ceci.
7 sept. 2023 à 5 h 32
WentWughes
Rejoint: nov. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 10,273
This is quite an overpayment, no?

It might be worth it in the future and I understand the pay off if it works, but he had a decent season as a top 4 defender, nothing indicates he will become an top pairing defender. I'd think he would get between 6-7 long term.
7 sept. 2023 à 6 h 29
hey look a squirrel
Rejoint: mai 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 3,754
After 77 games played?
That contract is outrageous.

Take off the homer glasses before you judge this one.
oneX a aimé ceci.
7 sept. 2023 à 6 h 46
exo2769
Rejoint: juill. 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 9,778
Quoting: HelmutCool
One year of his ELC contract got the College slide.

That's right. After UND was out of it, he signed...didn't play at all, but his year went by for 2021/2022.

Thanks!
7 sept. 2023 à 6 h 49
exo2769
Rejoint: juill. 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 9,778
Quoting: budgeteam
-Chychrun only signed for 6 years.
-He had added incentive to secure the bag due to facing injuries in his first two seasons that he played before signing.
-Chychrun did not have rookie or sophomore years anywhere near as strong as Sanderson's rookie year. He wasn't a top pairing defenseman.
-Chychrun's resume prior to entering the NHL also was nowhere near as strong as Sanderson's.

They are apples to oranges. Chychrun was a bottom pairing D as a rookie, and a mid-pairing D as a sophomore, He didn't break out as a top pairing defenseman until after signing the contract. Sanderson was the Senators #1 defenseman by the end of the season and overall had the toughest deployment all season.

I guess Bedard gets $13.26M next week? smile cheers
7 sept. 2023 à 7 h 7
Rejoint: mai 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 1,650
4ijwvcirp1t71.jpg?width=1080&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=fe1fbb3198bbf7d15fa8cf2f7d2c60a1c363be94

Pierre might have taken this idea from one of you guys.
RawDeal, OldNYIfan et IconicHawk a aimé ceci.
7 sept. 2023 à 7 h 25
Leafs Sufferer
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 3,511
I'm a little confused.

Why didn't Dorion give Sanderson the Bouchard kind of contract (3.9Mx2), then give him the 8-8.5Mx8 after? Seems like an unnecessary contract to hand out after 77 games.
A_Habs_fan et Trickster a aimé ceci.
7 sept. 2023 à 7 h 31
Rejoint: mai 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 18,356
He is worth it.
AlTintin1122 et Mike7856 a aimé ceci.
7 sept. 2023 à 7 h 42
Leafs going to Leafs
Rejoint: déc. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 2,948
Modifié 7 sept. 2023 à 9 h 19
So this is Ottawa's 1rst and last year to actually compete? Sweet

On a side note: how do these GMs pull out infinite money whenever they feel like it... They now have 13 mill in cap space without Pinto signed and an incomplete top 6... And don't tell me Pinto's number didn't raise after seeing this
7 sept. 2023 à 7 h 50
Rejoint: août 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 13
All the people saying that this contract will look good in year 2-4 are so weird... Basically you are saying that they could have made basically an identical deal next year when Sanderson would have played 100+ games so there would be a bigger sample size... So less risk.

Lets say he would make 60p next season, he wont, but for arguments sake lets say that... Then he would cost max 8,5m per year for 8 years... Every other scenario he would get the same deal (or less) next year... Stupid to make this kind of a deal after 77 games played. He will propably not be a bust but there is a risk of it.

There is no major upside of making this deal
7 sept. 2023 à 7 h 58
ej15 BYATCH
Rejoint: mai 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 236
Quoting: TheresAlwaysNextYear
I can't be the only one who thinks this is a lot after just 77 NHL games

youre not
OldNYIfan et Trickster a aimé ceci.
7 sept. 2023 à 8 h 49
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 548
Quoting: Ritzy
I'm a little confused.

Why didn't Dorion give Sanderson the Bouchard kind of contract (3.9Mx2), then give him the 8-8.5Mx8 after? Seems like an unnecessary contract to hand out after 77 games.

That's easy. The teams are in different situations. Edmonton is in win-now mode so they are willing to risk a higher cap hit on Bouchard's next contract to free up cap space now to add pieces to put them over the top. Ottawa is a younger team building for a longer term. They want to get their core locked up now to maximize their window of contention while those guys are in their prime. If Bouchard was on Ottawa and Sanderson was on Edmonton, probably Sanderson would get the bridge and Bouchard would get the long term.
7 sept. 2023 à 8 h 56
and proud of it
Rejoint: févr. 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 1,605
Bro this guy doesn't even look all that great. 30 something points in 77 games is not worth $8M
7 sept. 2023 à 9 h 10
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 17,386
Quoting: HockeyManiac95
Bro this guy doesn't even look all that great. 30 something points in 77 games is not worth $8M

I will defend Sanderson here a bit, he's only 21 and has a high ceiling, he just played his rookie season and had a good year, this contract has the chance to be amazing if Sanderson continues to grow into the top pair D he could become, however, I will give you that it's a bit early to give him this kind of money, a bridge then long term deal would've been my move
HockeyManiac95 a aimé ceci.
7 sept. 2023 à 9 h 26
Rejoint: nov. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 24
Quoting: Random2152
Its certainly risky, but its about par for the course in the modern NHL. You pay for what you think a player will do over the term of the deal - not what theyve done so far.
Clearly they like him. I'm not totally convinced myself though.

Edit: I think I'm going to vote yes for the same reason I voted No on Miro's deal.
OTT sucks, so there is little opportunity cost lost by locking him up compared to bridging.

Still don't see how he could have gotten much more if they waited a year though, and that would have helped lower the risk a tad

You voted no on the Miro deal? Miro Heiskanen? That deal was a bargain before the ink was even dry.
7 sept. 2023 à 9 h 29
Leafs going to Leafs
Rejoint: déc. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 2,948
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
I will defend Sanderson here a bit, he's only 21 and has a high ceiling, he just played his rookie season and had a good year, this contract has the chance to be amazing if Sanderson continues to grow into the top pair D he could become, however, I will give you that it's a bit early to give him this kind of money, a bridge then long term deal would've been my move

TBH, My move would have been to trade him...

Ottawa already has 2 good LHD defensemen (Chabot and Chychrun) and a bottom of the league right side... They also have no depth but had over 20 mill to work with next year... But, by resigning him to this deal, you are now raising Pinto's price and you are putting yourself in cap trouble bc of only having 13 mill in cap space with 3/9 of your top 9 left unsigned and a very limited prospect pool to fill the gaps...

And this is not including the goaltending issue that can easily arise if Korpisalo bombs like most of us think he will do

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Chargement de l'animation
Soumettre les modifications du sondage