SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Trades

(CGY/NJD) - Markström for Bahl, 2025 1st (NJD)

Who won the trade?
Le graphique a été masqué

Options de sondage

19 juin à 15 h 21
Orr28
Rejoint: juill. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 318
Quoting: CSStrowbridge
Bahl scored just 11 points last year. Meanwhile, he took three times more penalties than he drew and his on-ice goal differential was ~10 below expected. He's not worth $1 million.

Thanks for uhhh agreeing with me? Lol
19 juin à 15 h 23
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 929
Quoting: Orr28
Thanks for uhhh agreeing with me? Lol

I am 100% agreeing with you.
Bahl is not an asset. I wouldn't pick him up on waivers.
19 juin à 16 h 21
Rejoint: nov. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 2,417
Fair trade...well maybe might, the Flames should have squeezed a mid Rd pick for the retention.

Than it's a fair trade.
19 juin à 16 h 47
Nah.
Rejoint: sept. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 4,826
NJ short term; But Gs can be voodoo, and if he can’t replicate in NJ, CGY win.
19 juin à 17 h 7
Rejoint: août 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 2,541
Quoting: FireFitzgerald
Absolute joke. Hopefully Devils fire Fitzgerald before the trade deadline.

Who needs 1st round picks, who needs to develop prospects, F**k it, just overpay for aging players. Look over here we have the Hughes brothers.

I wish your parents hugged you more. It's not your fault bud...it's not your fault.
19 juin à 18 h 9
TrevorA
Rejoint: janv. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 2,095
Flames Win. They rid themselves of another Whiny Cry Baby in Markström who left the net when he shouldn’t and let a lot of 1st Shot on Net Goals in way too often. He’s 34, very inconsistent and he won’t help the Devils improve, so I’m happy he’s gone

As for the return, it seems light given the retention, but that 2025 Pick (if it’s not flipped beforehand) will likely be pretty good and Bahl is exactly the BIG type of guy we needed for our 3rd Pairing & Penalty Kill. He’ll improve playing in Calgary like so many defenders have in the past

Never understood why the Flames would be interested in Holtz anyways. Would have loved to retain more or add for 10th Overall or Mercer, but I understood right away Mercer wasn’t going to be made available, so it is what it is

Good Riddance to Markström and Welcome to Calgary Kev!
19 juin à 18 h 24
Rejoint: mai 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 3,721
Quoting: NHLfan10506
Both players under contract…it’s not like either was FA signing. I am not worried about age so much.

Listen, Bruins fan, not all of us can prance around with two Vezina candidates. If he gives us 50 starts at .910 we are already a much better team.

Believe it or not viteck and him have about the same save percentage over the last few seasons combined...
19 juin à 18 h 27
Quoting: Mike7856
I’ll give a slight edge to NJ, mainly for getting the retention. Pretty fair trade in my eyes, Calgary gets a 1st in a deep draft for 2025, and a decent nhl level Dman and NJ gets their starting G for at least 2 years at a manageable cap hit. Win win

Unless Markstrom declines as he's 34 and coming off an okay and bad year. There is a very real chance he doesn't have much left...
19 juin à 18 h 36
Quoting: KingofRnR
Flames Win. They rid themselves of another Whiny Cry Baby in Markström who left the net when he shouldn’t and let a lot of 1st Shot on Net Goals in way too often. He’s 34, very inconsistent and he won’t help the Devils improve, so I’m happy he’s gone

As for the return, it seems light given the retention, but that 2025 Pick (if it’s not flipped beforehand) will likely be pretty good and Bahl is exactly the BIG type of guy we needed for our 3rd Pairing & Penalty Kill. He’ll improve playing in Calgary like so many defenders have in the past

Never understood why the Flames would be interested in Holtz anyways. Would have loved to retain more or add for 10th Overall or Mercer, but I understood right away Mercer wasn’t going to be made available, so it is what it is

Good Riddance to Markström and Welcome to Calgary Kev!

How can you think Markstrom is bad but the return is light?
A_Habs_fan a aimé ceci.
19 juin à 18 h 36
Quoting: aadoyle
Considering what Kuemper went for a few years ago made sense this is the price tag

Now will NJ get the good Markstrom or bad one is the question

Kuemper was coming off much better seasons
19 juin à 18 h 38
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 21,466
Quoting: BCAPP
Kuemper was coming off much better seasons

Markstrom also put up respectable numbers and had term thats what makes things very similar

Both basically got the same return for different reasons
19 juin à 18 h 48
Rejoint: juill. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 248
Sheldon Keefe wins this trade for walking into one of the best situations imaginable to win a Jack Adams award. One of the highest winning percentage coaches in the NHL gets fired, goes to team that had disappointing season driven by injuries and suspect goaltending, and have your team immediately make an excellent trade for one of the few reliable starters in the NHL. The devils are likely projected for an extra 8-10 wins next year, which likely puts them right back in the playoffs, and boy do Adam's voters love a redemption story.

Calgary loses this trade by essentially overplaying their hand at the trade deadline, pissing off their star goalie, and being forced to trade him for even less at the end of the year.

Tidy work by Jersey.
19 juin à 19 h 31
Good nerd
Rejoint: juin 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 525
Fair deal. I haven't been tracking Markstrom, but I've been consistent in saying that Ullmark would net somewhere between a late 1st and a 2nd+3rd or some equivalent in prospects/players, and this is right in line with that (I personally don't think the Devils valued Bahl all that much). Markstrom is not as good as Ullmark at this point in time, but his contract with money retained is really good value for the Devils for the next 2 years. The Devils don't need a worldbeater in net, they just need competence. This is a fair deal.

Now with all of this said, after this contract Markstrom is probably gone or maybe up for 1 more year. I think this means that the Devils have faith in Daws. If they don't, they might be back in the exact same position they were in last season.

There is another domino yet to fall in Jersey. They were small on D before, now they are really small. The plan cannot be to play MacDermid for 82 games. It will be interesting to see who they go after there.
19 juin à 20 h 2
TrevorA
Rejoint: janv. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 2,095
Quoting: BCAPP
How can you think Markstrom is bad but the return is light?

Pretty sure I said he’s inconsistent and I’m happy he’s no longer a Flame because he was starting to get whiny. Don’t recall saying anything that he’s bad, but he does suck often enough. He can be good sometimes behind a string D-Corps I guess and many still consider him an Elite Goaltender, but I doubt he helps the Devils unless they can fix their leaky defence

That’s almost $4mil in retention over 2 seasons. We gave Monahan away for nothing and paid MTL a 1st to open up $6.375mil, so Cap Space for an entire season or two is pretty valuable and should have cost them something more imo. I’ll take it though, I just wanted the best return possible for him on his way out
19 juin à 20 h 21
SHL NJD GM
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 17,573
Fair deal right now, CGY was not getting 10 OA. We’ll see how Markstrom plays, if he plays amazing, it’s a NJ win, if he’s mid, fair trade, if he sucks, Calgary win
19 juin à 21 h 10
Rejoint: mai 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 303
I doubt Bahl gets top 4 minutes on a good team (flames need dmen- so it might happen by default rather than him earning it). so this is a big win for NJ, especially how bad their goaltending has been lately. Surprised Cgy didnt get a goalie back, they need a veteran with Wolf.
19 juin à 21 h 26
Rejoint: janv. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 243
We just got a good goalie without giving up any good players…I don’t really know how Devils fans would be upset with the deal.

Quoting: NJDevils1317
I wish your parents hugged you more. It's not your fault bud...it's not your fault.

The Devils improved their goalie situation for the next 2 years. Great.

Fitzgerald keep trading away picks and young players for a short term fix has failed twice already with Toffoli and Meier. Sharangovich had 31 goals last season, Zetterlund had 24 goals, Muk played well in the AHL, Musty the 1st put up 102 points in 53 games in the OHL, and for $1M Bahl was fine.

They have cap space to fill out the lineup but outside of Casey no more high end prospects. I don't get Fitzgerald short term mindset.
19 juin à 21 h 46
Rejoint: mai 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 19,685

Fitzgerald keep trading away picks and young players for a short term fix has failed twice already with Toffoli and Meier. Sharangovich had 31 goals last season, Zetterlund had 24 goals, Muk played well in the AHL, Musty the 1st put up 102 points in 53 games in the OHL, and for $1M Bahl was fine.

They have cap space to fill out the lineup but outside of Casey no more high end prospects. I don't get Fitzgerald short term mindset.

Can only fit so many guys in a lineup. We had one of the best prospect pools (if not the best) in league…eventually have to put all those guys towards a team. Toffoli trade was maybe short-sighted, but seemed right at time, and we got something back for him. Meier trade was a good one for us.

But more importantly, he is adding players who want to be here. The window is just opening…enjoy it.
rrgdsafgerwrgwr a aimé ceci.
19 juin à 22 h 17
Steve Durbano Fan
Rejoint: janv. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 44
Quoting: CapFriendly
Trade confirmed: [url=/teams/flames]Calgary Flames[/url] - [url=/teams/devils]New Jersey Devils[/url]

Markstrom doesnt have a lot of tread left on his tires after 500 games so even with the retention it makes sense for the Flames who are 3 or 4 years from contending again. New Jersey should be better this season with this although I still believe they should have kept Blackwood
19 juin à 22 h 38
Rejoint: août 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 2,541

Buddy, they were the third youngest team in the league last year. The reason we don't have those prospects is because guys like Luke and Nemec were so good they are already on the roster unlike teams that have to wait for them to cook for a few more years. Calm down on the idea of high end prospects. At some point you push your chips in during your window so you can win. You are also discounting whomever they get at 10 right now.

Sharangovich just wasn't going to work out here. Sometimes guys do better with another team. Look at Siegs and Marino improving after getting traded. For all those guys like Muk and such, we got Timo who played incredibly well to finish the season after playing so much of it very hurt. Getting a fresh healthy season he will be worth it.
rrgdsafgerwrgwr a aimé ceci.
20 juin à 4 h 35
SkateOrDie
Rejoint: févr. 2024
Mentions "j'aime": 672
NJ won this trade.

They got a 1st and Bahl for a 34 year old goalie.
CGY didn't need the goalie they aren't anywhere near a cup contender.

As for NJ, lets be honest, they don't look like a cup contender either.
Is that going to change in 2 years, Is a 34 year old Markstrom who puts up mediocre numbers the difference maker there? I highly doubt it.

Lots of assets for a short term fix that isn't really better than average goaltending.

I'm not sure how anyone can say NJ won that. Needing a goalie and coughing up for a guy who's not really a long term solution isn't winning.
Don't really see NJ as a cup contender next year. Probably not in the year after either.
20 juin à 5 h 9
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 31
I do think its fair team trade. I dont think Boston wanted to trade Ullmark to NJ, team who they might have to fight on Wild card positions or see in playoffs. Markström have only one season over 920save% and one season under 2,50GA (10+games). His career numbers arent great either, reminds me a little bit on Kari Lehtonen. Difference with Lehtonen and Markström is that Markström been stronger in playoffs. I think trade is fair, NJ needed goalie and you cant get those free. CGY got first round pick. I do believe Markström will play strong season.
20 juin à 7 h 39
Quoting: aadoyle
Markstrom also put up respectable numbers and had term thats what makes things very similar

Both basically got the same return for different reasons

It's one year vs two. And Markstrom is coming off one respectable year and before that an awful year
20 juin à 11 h 43
Rejoint: janv. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 243
Quoting: NJDevils1317
Calm down on the idea of high end prospects. At some point you push your chips in during your window so you can win. You are also discounting whomever they get at 10 right now.

That's were I see the problem, why are the Devils pushing their chips in now? They beat the Rangers 4-3, lost to Hurricanes 4-1 last year, and missed the playoffs by 12 pts this year. If they made it to the 2nd round or ECF before losing this year with Vanecek/Schmid/ Daws playing bad again; this trade makes sense.

But more importantly, he is adding players who want to be here. The window is just opening…enjoy it.

I know this is pessimistic but I think this will be Hall/Subban/ Gusev 2.0. Ruff took the blame for this year (like Hynes also after signing an extension) and Fitzgerald overacting in the offseason (Shero with PK/Gusev). Hopefully I am wrong.
20 juin à 12 h 34
Rejoint: mai 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 19,685
That's were I see the problem, why are the Devils pushing their chips in now? They beat the Rangers 4-3, lost to Hurricanes 4-1 last year, and missed the playoffs by 12 pts this year. If they made it to the 2nd round or ECF before losing this year with Vanecek/Schmid/ Daws playing bad again; this trade makes sense.

I know this is pessimistic but I think this will be Hall/Subban/ Gusev 2.0. Ruff took the blame for this year (like Hynes also after signing an extension) and Fitzgerald overacting in the offseason (Shero with PK/Gusev). Hopefully I am wrong.

Be optimistic.

1. The 2019 Devils were still mostly Lou's team. Seven of the twelve top scorers on that team were leftovers from pre-Shero era.

2. Hall was actually quite good for us. If you didn't notice, he won a Hart trophy here. And his sale has led to Mercer, Siegenthaler and key pieces used in Meier and Markstrom trades.

3. Subban at time of acquisition was 11.3% of cap. Markstrom will be 4.7% of cap. (Subban, Hall, Goose were combined 25% of cap)

4. The rebuild that NJD is somewhat modeled after (the late 2000s Blackhawks) went through numerous goalies before they settled on Crawford (Lalime, Khabibulin, Huet, Niemi, Turco, Emery)...maybe Markstrom is ultimately the guy who leads us to promised land, he will make the team better.

5. Be thankful that Fitzy didn't make a rash decision at deadline when other GMs were trying to get him pony up more than what he was willing to pay.

6. We did not have to include a massive contract to acquire player.

7. Markstrom chose us as much as we chose him. Just like Timo. Its a sign that players want to be here. That is good for both quality of play...and what we pay for it. (Subban, Gusev, Hall...none of them wanted to come here at first. Gusev agreed only when we threw more money at him.)

8. We now have most of our core locked in at fixed rate for next 2-3 years...(and all of our core until team control for that period).

9. We have enough prospects coming through our system that we can continue to add each year without having 1st rounders (our core is set, we just need reinforcements or guys to fill holes).

10. We only had one home-grown late 1st round pick play for us last year (Mercer was #18 overall). We also had as regulars...two 7th rounders (Palat, Haula), two 6th rounders (Marino, Bratt)...and have seen a number of our own late picks turnout well (Sharangovich, Zetterlund, Gritsyuk, etc)

11. Among the two teams in cup finals today, neither has a 1st round pick this year (nor had one last year).

12. If we were "pushing all in" now, we would have seen 10th overall pick moved, Casey, Gritsyuk, Hameenaho, Holtz, Mercer...but they are still here (and we own 19 picks in next three drafts)

Be optimistic...good things are coming.
FireFitzgerald a aimé ceci.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Chargement de l'animation
Soumettre les modifications du sondage