SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Trades

(CGY/NJD) - Markström for Bahl, 2025 1st (NJD)

Who won the trade?
Le graphique a été masqué

Options de sondage

19 juin à 13 h 17
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 21,443
Considering what Kuemper went for a few years ago made sense this is the price tag

Now will NJ get the good Markstrom or bad one is the question
dopplsan a aimé ceci.
19 juin à 13 h 17
I Love J Boqvist
Rejoint: janv. 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 3,883
Quoting: HockeyScotty
Playing next to either Weegar or Andersson should be good for him, especially if he is on the 2nd pair and not asked to do too much, but in Calgary there isn't a lot of options for their top pair on the left side right now (Kylington or Bahl).

He played alongside one of the most defensively responsible dmen in the NHL last year
19 juin à 13 h 18
Rejoint: mai 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 3,710
Calgary wins this, and the amount of people who wanted to pay big assets to acquire Markstrom boggle my mind. Markstrom has been a good goalie who has occasionally been great, but more often good. I'd have been very happy to have him as my started over the last 5ish years. But he's 34. That is well PAST the prime of the majority of goalies. Can he keep it up longer? Sure. Is he likely to? Impossible to say, but statistically he's likely to decline soon. Maybe this year, maybe in a few years. But even if you look at his last few years: Dominant 3 years ago, really bad 2 years ago, good but not great last year. I'd have signed him if he was a UFA this year without question if I needed a goalie and take the gamble. But I wouldn't go out of my way to pay significant assets to acquire him today at 34. Particularly with his contract, though certainly made more palatable by the retention.

Calgary wins by getting more than a middling return.
Tintin, Random2152 et Boutch a aimé ceci.
19 juin à 13 h 19
Rejoint: mai 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 3,710
Quoting: NHLfan10506
Devils gave up more than Colorado, but are getting 2 years of Markstrom vs 1 year of Kuemper.

Markstrom is 34 vs Kuemper was about 29 or 30
Boutch a aimé ceci.
19 juin à 13 h 21
Rejoint: juin 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 1,051
Quoting: dgibb10
He played alongside one of the most defensively responsible dmen in the NHL last year

Sure, but the knock on Bahl was that he isn't great at breaking pucks out. In Calgary he can defer that to Weegar/Andersson and focus on shutdown role.
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
19 juin à 13 h 23
Rejoint: mai 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 4,595
I'd say fair to slightly in favor of CGY.

If you look at Markstrom over the last 4 seasons, he has 1 season with a SV% above .905 which isn't great. His GSAA rank over the last 4 seasons:

'23-'24: 9th
'22'-'23: 77th
'21-'22: 12th
'20-'21: 81st

He's 34yrs old and its not like he's got development left. With that said, I would lean more towards CGY if they weren't retaining on this deal.
19 juin à 13 h 42
Rejoint: mai 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 19,671
Quoting: BCAPP
Markstrom is 34 vs Kuemper was about 29 or 30

Both players under contract…it’s not like either was FA signing. I am not worried about age so much.

Quoting: ON3M4N
I'd say fair to slightly in favor of CGY.

If you look at Markstrom over the last 4 seasons, he has 1 season with a SV% above .905 which isn't great. His GSAA rank over the last 4 seasons:

'23-'24: 9th
'22'-'23: 77th
'21-'22: 12th
'20-'21: 81st

He's 34yrs old and its not like he's got development left. With that said, I would lean more towards CGY if they weren't retaining on this deal.

Listen, Bruins fan, not all of us can prance around with two Vezina candidates. If he gives us 50 starts at .910 we are already a much better team.
HockeyScotty a aimé ceci.
19 juin à 13 h 45
Rejoint: mars 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 959
Quoting: Devil
I was told he was gonna cost Mercer, Holtz, Casey or a 2024 first…

We were all told he was going to cost only a 2nd?
KingofRnR a aimé ceci.
19 juin à 13 h 45
Rejoint: juin 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 845
I’ll give a slight edge to NJ, mainly for getting the retention. Pretty fair trade in my eyes, Calgary gets a 1st in a deep draft for 2025, and a decent nhl level Dman and NJ gets their starting G for at least 2 years at a manageable cap hit. Win win
19 juin à 13 h 46
Quoting: HockeyScotty
Sure, but the knock on Bahl was that he isn't great at breaking pucks out. In Calgary he can defer that to Weegar/Andersson and focus on shutdown role.

“Isn’t great” is sugarcoating it. He is simply bad at passing the puck. Defends, disrupts well…but is not a good fit for any team built on possession and transition game.
HockeyScotty a aimé ceci.
19 juin à 14 h 1
Pat Steinberg tweet: “Jacob Markstrom has a full NMC and Devils were the team he and his camp were focused on all along. Getting a deal done this summer was in best interests of both Calgary and Markstrom.”

If Markstrom was only waiving to NJD…it’s a good return for Calgary.

(But it’s probably still less than Holtz offer at deadline)
sensonfire et rrgdsafgerwrgwr a aimé ceci.
19 juin à 14 h 13
JT Miller for Hart
Rejoint: févr. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 845
Seems fair. This is why I think Saros gets more than a 1st W/o retention.
rrgdsafgerwrgwr a aimé ceci.
19 juin à 14 h 17
You know nothing JS
Rejoint: janv. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 4,630
Quoting: Boutch
Crazy trade, tough to get my head aroud who won... but for sure MTL is not getting that second round pick (Allen playing 40+ games)

Quoting: Just_A_Guess
Still a chance they move him for their other inhouse options, where he would possibly have the opportunity for more play time. Or the inevitable injury risk could come into play as well.

Yeah, that's a little bit overconfident for a near 35 y.o. goalie coming out of a lower-body injury plagued season.
Just_A_Guess a aimé ceci.
19 juin à 14 h 19
Majors and minors
Rejoint: mai 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 45
its alright for both teams, for now, I'll say Calgary got the deal, Markstrom is 34 yrs limited time left, Bahl's 23 and already played a full season (81 games) at NHL level, besides the first round pick. Good luck Washington.
19 juin à 14 h 26
Rejoint: janv. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 12,506
A perfectly reasonable price to pay for a starting goalie.

I'm sure this will do nothing to stop the wave of people saying Ullmark will cost Ottawa Chychrun, a 1st ++
19 juin à 14 h 30
Rejoint: janv. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 243
Absolute joke. Hopefully Devils fire Fitzgerald before the trade deadline.

Who needs 1st round picks, who needs to develop prospects, F**k it, just overpay for aging players. Look over here we have the Hughes brothers.
19 juin à 14 h 30
DiscouragedBruinsFan
Rejoint: sept. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 514
I'm not sure I like this trade as a precedent for a potential Ullmark deal. I'd expect Sweeney to keep both goalies if that's the return.
19 juin à 14 h 51
Orr28
Rejoint: juill. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 313
Calgary retains over 30%.

1st rounder is top 10 protected, so Devils can tank and still have Markstrom for another year.

It's Kevin Bahl, not someone like Nemec or Hughes. Not a needle mover.

Devils win.
19 juin à 14 h 55
Fruad
Rejoint: mai 2024
Mentions "j'aime": 12
All this to just miss the playoffs because of the flyers
19 juin à 14 h 55
lottery team fan
Rejoint: juill. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 556
vanecek 2.0 but older and more expensive

if we suck next year it's a fair deal, if we're mediocre at worst calgary fleeced us

thanks fitz
19 juin à 15 h 3
Quoting: NHLfan10506
Pat Steinberg tweet: “Jacob Markstrom has a full NMC and Devils were the team he and his camp were focused on all along. Getting a deal done this summer was in best interests of both Calgary and Markstrom.”

If Markstrom was only waiving to NJD…it’s a good return for Calgary.

(But it’s probably still less than Holtz offer at deadline)

Darren Dreger tweet “Credit Markstrom for allowing Cgy to expand trade discussions with other clubs. Calgary was given flexibility to see what the true market was. There were discussions with other clubs…Ott and Tor included. In the end the best deal was made with the Devils.“

Sounds like Markstrom allowed other teams in at some point.
19 juin à 15 h 14
Brayden Yager Next
Rejoint: oct. 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 260
On the one hand Markstrom hasn't been good in a long time, On the other the Flames didn't get much in return, A likely late 1st and Kevin Bahl
Im gonna say fair trade
19 juin à 15 h 15
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 906
If New Jersey gets significantly worse the next two seasons, then Calgary wins this deal. I don't think that's happening. They would have to be bottom ten both years for Calgary to get enough value with the retention.
If New Jersey makes the playoffs this season, then they win the deal. I think that's going to happen.

New Jersey wins.
rollie1967 et rrgdsafgerwrgwr a aimé ceci.
19 juin à 15 h 18
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 906
Quoting: Orr28
It's Kevin Bahl, not someone like Nemec or Hughes. Not a needle mover.

Bahl scored just 11 points last year. Meanwhile, he took three times more penalties than he drew and his on-ice goal differential was ~10 below expected. He's not worth $1 million.
19 juin à 15 h 19
Quoting: FireFitzgerald
Absolute joke. Hopefully Devils fire Fitzgerald before the trade deadline.

Who needs 1st round picks, who needs to develop prospects, F**k it, just overpay for aging players. Look over here we have the Hughes brothers.

Quoting: SnakeDelilah
vanecek 2.0 but older and more expensive

if we suck next year it's a fair deal, if we're mediocre at worst calgary fleeced us

thanks fitz

We just got a good goalie without giving up any good players…I don’t really know how Devils fans would be upset with the deal.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Chargement de l'animation
Soumettre les modifications du sondage