SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2023-2024 NHL Discussion Thread #3: After Further Review...

11 févr. à 8 h 24
Go Habs Go
Rejoint: mars 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 4,091
Quoting: CantStopWontStop
“Don’t show up the other team” is a rule based on mutual respect, and is found in all major sports leagues despite being in none of their rule books. In baseball, football, nascar there are dozen examples - don’t celebrate on the opposing crest, don’t steal bases when you’re up by 15, don’t initiate physical contact with another driver when you’re laps ahead, etc.

If I were DOPS Morgan would get a fine. Players disrespecting each other constantly would result in way more injuries than what they currently are. Players drawing the line is what keeps that from occurring. These dudes live on the edge of rage. I think if this were any other team, and the same event, the same thing happens. Players do not extremely exaggerate engs because there is mutual respect.

Senators dude totally put his quarter into the face punching machine and pressed start. Nobody should be surprised that the machine then punched him in the face. You can punish the face punching machine all you want, it will be at every game whether it’s suspended or not.

I do gotta talk a little %$#*.

Marner skating up at the end of the scrum and doing nothing was exceptionally in character. Lol. Sorry not sorry.

I'm fine with Greig getting a punch in the face there.
Not with a stick, just enough to send a message.
That's worth a one game suspension in the regular season.

If this were the playoffs though, somebody else has to deliver the message. You can't have Rielly taking himself out of games.

Regular season or not, it should still be anyone else stepping up there. You can get by without one of the big 4 forwards for a game or two, but you can't let your best defenseman do that.
11 févr. à 8 h 40
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 21,034
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
Two things can be true at once:

1. Morgan Rielly's response to Greig was extreme

2. Greig shouldn't have done what he did

Criticizing one guy isn't praising the other.

Greig learned a valuable lesson don't do that again as imagine he did that in Tampa, Boston, Florida or any other team with tougher guys they would probably send him to the ER. Like Bennett for sure would take the suspension to make a point
LeafsForLife a aimé ceci.
11 févr. à 8 h 44
Rejoint: mai 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 502

Senators dude totally put his quarter into the face punching machine and pressed start. Nobody should be surprised that the machine then punched him in the face. You can punish the face punching machine all you want, it will be at every game whether it’s suspended or not.

I'd be totally fine with a face-punching in that situation. Penalty. Maybe a fine.

But Reilly didn't go over and drop the gloves and tune him up. He went over and hit the guy in the face with lumber. Not the same. Completely gross. Earns no and gets no "respect" from me. Hope he sits for a long time, to be honest, but won't be surprised if he gets a pass based on how many minutes a night he plays.
mokumboi et dannibalcorpse a aimé ceci.
11 févr. à 8 h 47
Bedard23
Rejoint: mai 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 4,478
I would’ve been fine if Rielly gave him a small shot somewhere that’s not at the head, sure do that

There is no circumstances where blatantly attempting to injure should be defended
Pompadour_de_Armstrong, mokumboi, ricochetii and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
11 févr. à 9 h 26
mokumboi
Rejoint: avr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,373
Modifié 11 févr. à 9 h 39
Anyone making lame excuses for Rielly is completely full of it. He should OBVIOUSLY get near the 21 games Dale Hunter got. Probably more. DUH.
IconicHawk et dannibalcorpse a aimé ceci.
11 févr. à 9 h 27
mokumboi
Quoting: aadoyle
Greig learned a valuable lesson don't do that again as imagine he did that in Tampa, Boston, Florida or any other team with tougher guys they would probably send him to the ER. Like Bennett for sure would take the suspension to make a point

Muh huh. So now how do we teach Rielly a lesson appropriate to the levels of each offense? Drive over him with a car? Drop him in a lion's den?
11 févr. à 9 h 30
mokumboi
Modifié 11 févr. à 9 h 44
“Don’t show up the other team” is a rule based on mutual respect, and is found in all major sports leagues despite being in none of their rule books. In baseball, football, nascar there are dozen examples - don’t celebrate on the opposing crest, don’t steal bases when you’re up by 15, don’t initiate physical contact with another driver when you’re laps ahead, etc.

If I were DOPS Morgan would get a fine. Players disrespecting each other constantly would result in way more injuries than what they currently are. Players drawing the line is what keeps that from occurring. These dudes live on the edge of rage. I think if this were any other team, and the same event, the same thing happens. Players do not extremely exaggerate engs because there is mutual respect.

This is truly living in a fantasy world. If the situation was reversed, you would be singing an entirely different tune. Unreal.
11 févr. à 9 h 56
Go leafs go
Rejoint: avr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 9,213
Greig knew what he was doing on this play. He was showing off and trying to rile up the leafs. And Rielly rightly went after him.

HOWEVER… a blatant cross check to the head is not acceptable under any circumstances. You can’t defend what Rielly did. I’d say he probably gets 5 games, and I think he should get 5 games.
A_Habs_fan, McGruff, Pompadour_de_Armstrong and 3 others a aimé ceci.
11 févr. à 9 h 57
Go leafs go
Quoting: mokumboi
Anyone making lame excuses for Rielly is completely full of it. He should OBVIOUSLY get near the 21 games Dale Hunter got. Probably more. DUH.

No way you are serious. 21 games?!?! A fair comparison is Perron, who got 6 games. Both examples of cross checks to the head when the play was stopped.
aadoyle a aimé ceci.
11 févr. à 10 h 4
mokumboi
Quoting: Saskleaf
No way you are serious. 21 games?!?! A fair comparison is Perron, who got 6 games. Both examples of cross checks to the head when the play was stopped.

You make a decent point, but the scenarios were not the same. Perron acted like a maniac when his teammate got hammered and was lying motionless on the ice. Rielly did the same pathetic situational thing as Hunter, but worse because he cross-checked him in the head.

And for perspective, let me just add that I think Perron's suspension was too light. Meanwhile, we got people in here acting like Rielly is some sort of victim and should walk with a formality fine.
11 févr. à 10 h 17
Leafs going to Leafs
Rejoint: déc. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 3,006
Quoting: McGruff
Next game Ryan Reaves has a little knuckle to nose talk w/ Jimmy Stu...that's the solution!
Not hoping Gary Bettman or the lame TV Panel make it better.

You mean next season?

And no Ottawa player had the courage to go up against freaking Matthew Knies, what makes you think they'll go up against Reaves?
11 févr. à 10 h 23
Leafs going to Leafs
In terms of suspension/no suspension... The question becomes; Is a punch to the face after the other (suspecting) guy disrespects your team worth more games than:

- Can opening an unsuspected player (record of doing this stuff)
- RKOing an unsuspecting player (history of fines for sure, not sure about suspensions)
- Hits from behind on unsuspecting players
- Chicken wings
- Straight cross check to neck in net front battle
- Straight cross check to back of the head x2

If you say no to any of these, Rielly should be getting less than 2 games as all examples got either fines, nothing or 2 game suspensions
11 févr. à 10 h 37
mokumboi
Quoting: Leafsfan98
In terms of suspension/no suspension... The question becomes; Is a punch to the face after the other (suspecting) guy disrespects your team worth more games than:

- Can opening an unsuspected player (record of doing this stuff)
- RKOing an unsuspecting player (history of fines for sure, not sure about suspensions)
- Hits from behind on unsuspecting players
- Chicken wings
- Straight cross check to neck in net front battle
- Straight cross check to back of the head x2

If you say no to any of these, Rielly should be getting less than 2 games as all examples got either fines, nothing or 2 game suspensions

Riiight. So because these wrongdoers were given stupidly low punishments, we should continue giving stupidly low punishments, especially to doers who did wronger stuff. Makes total sense.

And you guys want to talk about Greig's level of "disrespect" (which required nothing more than a face to face howdy-do that you forget about four seconds later). Amazing.
11 févr. à 10 h 48
Leafs going to Leafs
Modifié 11 févr. à 11 h 2
Riiight. So because these wrongdoers were given stupidly low punishments, we should continue giving stupidly low punishments, especially to doers who did wronger stuff. Makes total sense.

And you guys want to talk about Greig's level of "disrespect" (which required nothing more than a face to face howdy-do that you forget about four seconds later). Amazing.

It factors into a suspension, then add in the Greig isn't hurt, and he dove like his buddy

Here are other examples if you don't like it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPlwS09ip3I (2 games)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuAXPRrOnfs (no games)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4JJhC5iISg (1 game)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu7Eod9_9Pc (2 games)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5id0hsgiDU (Kocecny fined, Smith got 2 games)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhFf_eb1mos (1 game)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfK7b9mkW-I (1 game)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMprHc4XNsw (2 games)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq5IC80rcxU (2 games)

All of these are:
- Recent
- Head shots
- On an unsuspecting player
- Most of these guys have a history (some don't but most do)
- Some are after the play

Rielly shouldn't get more than any of those examples... I can bring up more if you want
11 févr. à 11 h 14
Go leafs go
You make a decent point, but the scenarios were not the same. Perron acted like a maniac when his teammate got hammered and was lying motionless on the ice. Rielly did the same pathetic situational thing as Hunter, but worse because he cross-checked him in the head.

And for perspective, let me just add that I think Perron's suspension was too light. Meanwhile, we got people in here acting like Rielly is some sort of victim and should walk with a formality fine.

That’s a fair argument if you want to advocate for bigger suspensions, but we all know that the DOPS is a joke and isn’t going to do that. Based on that fact I think 6 games for Perron was pretty fair and I think Riellys is slightly less bad (though I don’t have any particular reason why, I think because I looked a little softer but maybe I’m misremembering the Perron hit), so I’d say 5 games.
11 févr. à 11 h 15
mokumboi
Quoting: Leafsfan98
It factors into a suspension, then add in the Greig isn't hurt, and he dove like his buddy

Here are other examples if you don't like it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPlwS09ip3I (2 games)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuAXPRrOnfs (no games)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4JJhC5iISg (1 game)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu7Eod9_9Pc (2 games)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5id0hsgiDU (Kocecny fined, Smith got 2 games)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhFf_eb1mos (1 game)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfK7b9mkW-I (1 game)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMprHc4XNsw (2 games)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq5IC80rcxU (2 games)

All of these are:
- Recent
- Head shots
- On an unsuspecting player
- Most of these guys have a history (some don't but most do)
- Some are after the play

Rielly shouldn't get more than any of those examples... I can bring up more if you want

First of all, you're conflating several things that were either during the course of play or not near the level a cross check to the head, or both. More importantly, Greig dove??? What???

Gosh, maybe we should reward Rielly, huh? Really, he's a hero, to all the disaffected folks out there who imagine that slapper was the height of evil. We should give them all cuddles for what they've been through!

Sweet Moses, do you even hear yourself?
11 févr. à 11 h 19
mokumboi
Quoting: Saskleaf
That’s a fair argument if you want to advocate for bigger suspensions, but we all know that the DOPS is a joke and isn’t going to do that. Based on that fact I think 6 games for Perron was pretty fair and I think Riellys is slightly less bad (though I don’t have any particular reason why, I think because I looked a little softer but maybe I’m misremembering the Perron hit), so I’d say 5 games.

Rielly's was not as bad? I see you're trying to be pragmatic and relative about it, and I get that. No one should ever get away with under 10 games for the things those guys did. And frankly, that might be too lenient. This was a straight up assault. Over, and I'm sorry that I have to say it, practically nothing. People in here acting like what Greig did was some insidious form of unsportsmanship... but cross checks to the face are Kosher. It's beyond pathetic.
11 févr. à 11 h 29
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 17,401
Rielly's was not as bad? I see you're trying to be pragmatic and relative about it, and I get that. No one should ever get away with under 10 games for the things those guys did. And frankly, that might be too lenient. This was a straight up assault. Over, and I'm sorry that I have to say it, practically nothing. People in here acting like what Greig did was some insidious form of unsportsmanship... but cross checks to the face are Kosher. It's beyond pathetic.

I haven't seen anyone here say Rielly shouldn't be suspsended. My guess is Rielly gets 3-5 games for the cross check to the face. There are multiple thruths going on here, both Grieg and Rielly should've known better than to do what they did, Grieg broke an unwritten rule (which I have been on the unwritten rules in sport are stupid train for years, however, they still very much exist and one should be aware of them), while Rielly will get suspended for a dumb move that has no place in hockey
McGruff a aimé ceci.
11 févr. à 11 h 39
Rejoint: mai 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 18,428
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
I haven't seen anyone here say Rielly shouldn't be suspsended. My guess is Rielly gets 3-5 games for the cross check to the face. There are multiple thruths going on here, both Grieg and Rielly should've known better than to do what they did, Grieg broke an unwritten rule (which I have been on the unwritten rules in sport are stupid train for years, however, they still very much exist and one should be aware of them), while Rielly will get suspended for a dumb move that has no place in hockey

On the unwritten rule scale from minor-to-major, the Grieg slapshot ranks somewhere between "crossing the red line during warmups" and "not moving puck to linesman after a whistle"

Breaking his head is not the proportional response.
McGruff a aimé ceci.
11 févr. à 11 h 40
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 17,401
Quoting: NHLfan10506
On the unwritten rule scale from minor-to-major, the Grieg slapshot ranks somewhere between "crossing the red line during warmups" and "not moving puck to linesman after a whistle"

Breaking his head is not the proportional response.

I never said it was
11 févr. à 11 h 44
we miss leo k
Rejoint: févr. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 5,114
Quoting: NHLfan10506
2. The bigger factor will be that it occurred after a goal. At end of game. It was not a hockey play.

louder for the abundant Leafs-fans-cum-neurologists here saying that since Grieg skated off and wasn't hurt that this shouldn't really be an issue.
McGruff a aimé ceci.
11 févr. à 11 h 45
Rejoint: mai 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 18,428
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
I never said it was

Not challenging anything you said.

You mentioned the unwritten rule...I am just saying its a very minor unwritten rule.
Rielly could have ignored and no one would have noticed or cared.
11 févr. à 11 h 53
torontos finest
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,192
dops has the ability to do the funniest thing ever and just fine rielly 5k
11 févr. à 11 h 56
WentWughes
Rejoint: nov. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 10,277
Quoting: mondo
dops has the ability to do the funniest thing ever and just fine rielly 5k

That's not the funniest thing ever, don't think they take into effect what caused the illegal play, or else Perron would've gotten nothing.
11 févr. à 11 h 57
More Finns More Wins
Rejoint: juill. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 631
The fact that Greig skated away under his own power should not impact the length of the suspension.

Punish the intent to injure, not the end result of the play.

Greig's showboating does NOT mean that an opponent can cross-check his head three seconds after the play is over.

Honestly I think the Perron incident is very similar, well after the end of the play, same type of hit though Perron's looked more forceful, the surrounding circumstances shouldn't matter.

That said, it's all up to the Wheel of discipline, predicting this is a fool's errand.

To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage