SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Trades

(COL/MTL) - Newhook for Fairbrother, 2023 1st (FLA), 2023 2nd (MTL)

Who won the trade?
Le graphique a été masqué

Options de sondage

27 juin 2023 à 15 h 6
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 17,386

Something to keep in mind, Hughes knows Newhook, he was his agent
jpsnow13, SevenLeg et pinslack a aimé ceci.
27 juin 2023 à 15 h 6
Rejoint: mai 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 3,695
Honestly I kind of like this for Montreal. Newhook did fine for a 22 year old and still has upside. Its a gamble, but I think one with a reasonably good chance (not super high, but reasonably good) of paying off
Xavier02 a aimé ceci.
27 juin 2023 à 15 h 15
Leafs going to Leafs
Rejoint: déc. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 2,949
This has lined up with my other assessment of Hughes' summer
27 juin 2023 à 15 h 16
couldnt afford 2nd t
Rejoint: sept. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 431
Maybe Dorion is telling the truth about a 1st round pick not being very good in this draft....The top is stacked, but I would be curious about how people feel about prospects ranked in the 15th-40th type range.

I don't really see the issue for Montreal with this trade, they basically got a 1st round talent without having to wait out or take a risk on the development. Newhook is 22, and if he is in their middle 6 for the next 5-8 years, that is good value considering the kind of play you'd expect to get in this range of the draft.

I think from an optics POV this return looks like more than it is because of the first round pick tag. In reality, if this was 33+37, less people would see it as an overpayment. despite 33 and 31 being basically the same except one is called a 1st round pick.
Andy_Dick, drambui, Xavier02 and 2 others a aimé ceci.
27 juin 2023 à 15 h 17
Future Ducks legend
Rejoint: juin 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 6,661
Quoting: Bdawwwgy1
I feel like this is a lot for Newhook but I can’t see why Colorado did it. They need cheap forwards

He wasn't ready to step up to 2C, is too small for 3C, and is due a payday. Colorado needs to cap space to pay Byram.
OldNYIfan et jpsnow13 a aimé ceci.
27 juin 2023 à 15 h 25
Banni
Rejoint: févr. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 2,372
Quoting: jr400
At 22 I suppose Newhook could still get better, but this seems like a lot to give up based on what he’s shown so far. Colorado apparently didn’t think he was good enough to be their 2nd-line center. The fact that he’s unsigned should have lowered his value since Montreal doesn’t know what he’s going to cost them, though at least he’s not arbitration eligible so they have some control.

On the positive side, his age is a good fit for their young core of Suzuki, Caufield, Dach, etc., so maybe he’ll develop with them.

Age fits. Same draft when Caufield was picked 1 spot after Cole. They can’t hoard picks and do need to pounce on these low AAV before guys start getting paid around 2026 which includes Guhle, Slafkovsky, Dach, their 5th overall, etc.

The Newhook profile is almost the same as Danault in 2015 from Chicago. Solid defensively, smart, hard working player that wasn’t given the minutes in a loaded team.

We shall see. It may be an overpay by a slight margin but you need to identify your players and make a push in your plan whether that’s a rebuild, retool or ALL IN, the worst is not having an identity. This pushes the Habs to compete in 2024-25 with a strong squad for 2025-26 in the making.
pinslack a aimé ceci.
27 juin 2023 à 15 h 25
Mentions "j'aime": 2,507
Quoting: Koskinen_The_Great
“If you want loyalty, buy a dog”

“ you can’t trade for big time centres , you have to draft them!”

Same dude that refused a Subban trade for Draisaitl and a 1st in 2016 according to Kevin Weekes

it was hall and a first, never drai. and it makes sense since they traded hall right away.
Andy_Dick et Joe_La_Garnotte a aimé ceci.
27 juin 2023 à 15 h 27
Rejoint: juin 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 952
Modifié 27 juin 2023 à 15 h 43
Quoting: Bob_Dole
Does this mean that COL tries to keep Compher as their 3C?

Quoting: kckrebs
True they will need a few more cheap forwards but this gives them some extra trade capital to potentially acquire someone like Konecny or maybe even Debrincat. They'll have close to 15.6m to spend with only 1 hole in the top 6. Maybe they don't land a big fish but I'd actually be surprised if they keep their first rounders this year. They should be all in trying to win during the MacKinnon era.

Avs will have $6-7 million (depending upon Byram's deal) to fill 4 forward positions. A big difference. This is kind of a strange move but maybe selling high on Newhook to leverage for something else.

We can't take on much salary so there will have to be some type of retention deal in a trade which would explain needing additional draft capital that has been spent over the past few years.
27 juin 2023 à 15 h 29
Rejoint: mai 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 5,032
Montreal just gave up more for Alex Newhook than they got for Jesperi Kotkaniemi... just throwing that out there
27 juin 2023 à 15 h 32
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 17,386
Quoting: Caniac2000
Montreal just gave up more for Alex Newhook than they got for Jesperi Kotkaniemi... just throwing that out there

Well not exactly, offersheet and trades can’t be compared, also this is essentially a draft day move so the picks positions are known while the Habs had no idea how good the Canes picks would be when accepting the offersheet
27 juin 2023 à 15 h 34
Mentions "j'aime": 5,032
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Well not exactly, offersheet and trades can’t be compared, also this is essentially a draft day move so the picks positions are known while the Habs had no idea how good the Canes picks would be when accepting the offersheet

Okay, let's ignore the places of the picks. They got a 1st and 3rd for KK, they gave up a 1st, 2nd and a prospect for Newhook.
27 juin 2023 à 15 h 35
Speak of the Devil
Rejoint: nov. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 26,436

sirthisisawendysmeme.jpg
A_Habs_fan, drambui, Andy_Dick and 9 others a aimé ceci.
27 juin 2023 à 15 h 42
and proud of it
Rejoint: févr. 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 1,605
Yeah, legit knew Newhook wasn't it for Colorado. Honestly didn't care for this trade, but oh well
27 juin 2023 à 15 h 44
Mentions "j'aime": 2,507
Okay, let's ignore the places of the picks. They got a 1st and 3rd for KK, they gave up a 1st, 2nd and a prospect for Newhook.

same price they paid for dvorak too! cant wait to see in a few years how newhook and kk compare.
27 juin 2023 à 15 h 49
Rejoint: févr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 51
Quoting: F50marco
Not the player I would gone after honestly but if MSL can get him to pop off like Dach last year then we'll be laughing all the way to the bank. If he is what he is then yeah this was a bad trade. I feel the difference between him and Dach trades was we knew Dach just needed to get healthy. What was stopping Newhook exactly? He had ample chances to be a go to guy on a team that could make players look better than they were. I dunno, I think they targeted the wrong guy personally.

Also, unless Newhook was gonna be traded imminently otherwise, I would have only made this trade at the draft once we knew a little more how the draft shaped up first. Unless another trade is going down that makes this make more sense (to me). Which is more than likely but for the time being, slightly disappointed that was cost it took to get him and that he was the guy they wanted to go after.

Newhook averaged less than 14 min TOI in Colorado, and behind the big guys (and the fact he is only 22, only played 2 full seasons... I could go on) - it's hard to say by any stretch we have seen what he has to offer. He is most definitely a breakout candidate if given consistent top 6 quality linemates.
F50marco, OldNYIfan, Xavier02 and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
27 juin 2023 à 15 h 54
Rejoint: mai 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 6,733
Quoting: jtrev
Newhook averaged less than 14 min TOI in Colorado, and behind the big guys (and the fact he is only 22, only played 2 full seasons... I could go on) - it's hard to say by any stretch we have seen what he has to offer. He is most definitely a breakout candidate if given consistent top 6 quality linemates.

Fair enough! Here's hoping you're right because nothing would make me happier if he did.
27 juin 2023 à 16 h 10
hey look a squirrel
Mentions "j'aime": 3,754
Quoting: OldNYIfan
The team that wins biggest out of this trade is Winnipeg, because now Montreal is out of the PLD sweepstakes and the Jets have the leverage.

The Jets better a good prospect and Vilardi plus
27 juin 2023 à 16 h 16
Rejoint: mai 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 502
Fair deal, imo. Not super high on Newhook, but Habs didn't trade the farm either.

I don't really follow the Avalanche and I had sort of figured the RyJo move was insurance if Newhook wasn't going to pick it up fast enough. So a bit of a surprise for me. Thought they'd give Newhook carte blanche to prove himself as the 2C, and then flip him if he struggled. I know they are contending, but it's a long season, and they could handle a bit of growing pains. I'd have given him more rope as he's cheap and already in the fold. Shows what I know.
27 juin 2023 à 16 h 17
Holly Knows Best
Rejoint: juill. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 33
Quoting: mondo
kerfoot 2

100%
27 juin 2023 à 16 h 21
You know nothing JS
Rejoint: janv. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 4,431
Not a fan of Newhook starting with, but I beleive in his ex-agent to know more than I do.

Just a low 1st should had been enough. That 37th overall really hurts.

No Ethan Gauthier or goalie prospect I guess!!!
Joe_La_Garnotte et OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
27 juin 2023 à 16 h 22
Rejoint: déc. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 3,523
This is the type of trade that would never happen under prior management. Habs would've been all in on PLD. But, Hughes is playing the long game and good for him. Spending major assets on overrated players simply b/c they were born in Quebec is, and always was, short-sighted. Disappointed fans will thank him 5 years from now.
27 juin 2023 à 16 h 40
Hop on the Slaftrain
Rejoint: févr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 20,496
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
Future top 6 forward for 2 picks that will likely never become full time NHL players. Clearly makes sense for Montreal.

If everything goes as Hughes' planned, then yes it makes sense. Newhook just doesn't scream "future top 6 lock" for me right now.
27 juin 2023 à 17 h 13
Respect Mike Grier
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 2,597
Quoting: EsoYeezus69
This isn’t fairbrother.

damn you and your amazing ability to come up with good puns and memes on trade threads
EsoYeezus69 a aimé ceci.
27 juin 2023 à 17 h 14
Rejoint: janv. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 169

Are you asking to trade Kotkaniemi for Newhook?

Just curious why you are so interested in what Newhooks value is
27 juin 2023 à 17 h 57
I Love J Boqvist
Rejoint: janv. 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 3,138
Quoting: TheRealisticGuy
In Hughes we trust, Dach vs 13th + 66th seemed steep but it wasn’t after all
Let’s hope Newhook becomes a good middle six forward

You paid a mid 1st for a guy who had less 5v5 points than matt martin

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question: