SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Toronto Maple Leafs 2023 2024 Offseason Discussion - Now What?

13 mai 2023 à 14 h 0
Rejoint: mai 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 5,207
Quoting: aadoyle
U move those 2 your basically moving towards rebuild territory. This is the prime definition of MLSE ****ing up

nope, prime definition of MLSE f***ing up would be keeping them and they both walk for nothing and now you're really screwed. You could get some very good, young NHL talent and still keep the team competitive. May be a step back in the very short term but avoids absolute gutter for many many years.
13 mai 2023 à 14 h 0
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 20,959
Quoting: Random2152
Explain how Matthews has earned a raise at all?
Dude shouldn't top mcdavid at all. Big boy cheques are for closers

Hes gonna get paid by someone whether its us or LAK or someone

Hes probs getting 13mill next deal
13 mai 2023 à 14 h 1
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: leafs101
nope, prime definition of MLSE f***ing up would be keeping them and they both walk for nothing and now you're really screwed. You could get some very good, young NHL talent and still keep the team competitive. May be a step back in the very short term but avoids absolute gutter for many many years.

Nope were basically gonna have b2b Kadri situations. Were gonna trade these guys lose both then they gonna go win cups on their new teams while we just sitting back realizes hey we ****ed up again.

Nylanders probs getting moved rest are staying. Kevin Pappetti's tweet sums this best
13 mai 2023 à 14 h 2
Nope were basically gonna have b2b Kadri situations. Were gonna trade these guys lose both then they gonna go win cups on their new teams while we just sitting back realizes hey we ****ed up again.

Nylanders probs getting moved rest are staying. Kevin Pappetti's tweet sums this best

so do you not think we go even further into rebuild territory if we keep them a year, don't win, and then Matthews and Nylander just decide to walk and we get absolutely nothing?

Their success at their new destination would have absolutely nothing to do with what the right move would be for the Leafs if they can't get commitments from those guys.
13 mai 2023 à 14 h 6
hey look a squirrel
Rejoint: mai 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 3,754
This might be unpopular but this core does not have enough fire or passion to get it done.

Time to rebuild, maybe it's the contract situations drivingmaybe it isn't.

My point is that stop accepting mediocrity, don't settle for 1 round playoff win.

We deserve better and this core is not gonna do it.

Bring back Dubas and go full on rebuild.
MatthewsFan, Saskleaf, oneX and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
13 mai 2023 à 14 h 7
average joe
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 92

If you are taking a step back, do you dump Marner as well. It seems he has a NMC that kicks in end of this year as well, so if you keep him you are in a situation where he holds all the cards in negotiations.
And how about going with Murray next year instead of Samsonov. And retain salary on Mitch, Auston, and Willy since you are planning on the next 1 or 2 years to be a re-grouping period.
13 mai 2023 à 14 h 10
Quoting: Messier99
If you are taking a step back, do you dump Marner as well. It seems he has a NMC that kicks in end of this year as well, so if you keep him you are in a situation where he holds all the cards in negotiations.
And how about going with Murray next year instead of Samsonov. And retain salary on Mitch, Auston, and Willy since you are planning on the next 1 or 2 years to be a re-grouping period.

I think no on Marner. I think he's the only one that I'm dead confident will re-sign if we keep a good team around him. So by getting absolute hauls for Nylander and Matthews you can do that.

I think because of the value that those two can bring, if done right, a full blown rebuild won't be needed, more of a retool.
Saskleaf et Sign_em_up000000 a aimé ceci.
13 mai 2023 à 14 h 17
hey look a squirrel
Delete
Sign_em_up000000 a aimé ceci.
13 mai 2023 à 14 h 21
average joe
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 92
I think no on Marner. I think he's the only one that I'm dead confident will re-sign if we keep a good team around him. So by getting absolute hauls for Nylander and Matthews you can do that.

I think because of the value that those two can bring, if done right, a full blown rebuild won't be needed, more of a retool.

This 2 years of NMC scared me a bit. A year from now when it's clear he won't re-sign - won't Marner just be in the exact same situation as you describe above with Auston and Willy leaving for nothing.
13 mai 2023 à 14 h 21
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Messier99

Guess that's the plan per this forum lul

It's the same **** as we saw with kadri only no suspension

Watch were gonna trade for the sake of trading and these guys gonna do well or win with other teams
13 mai 2023 à 14 h 27
Guess that's the plan per this forum lul

It's the same **** as we saw with kadri only no suspension

Watch were gonna trade for the sake of trading and these guys gonna do well or win with other teams

its not "trade for the sake of trading"

If they won't extend their contracts and you're left with nothing, the team is royally screwed for probably around the next decade.

If you trade them for proper hauls, it may mean avoiding another major dark period. That's just about the worst analogy I can think of for this, the Kadri trade that is.

It doesn't matter if they do well for other teams if they're just going to leave in a season anyways.
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
13 mai 2023 à 14 h 33
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 13 mai 2023 à 14 h 41
its not "trade for the sake of trading"

If they won't extend their contracts and you're left with nothing, the team is royally screwed for probably around the next decade.

If you trade them for proper hauls, it may mean avoiding another major dark period. That's just about the worst analogy I can think of for this, the Kadri trade that is.

It doesn't matter if they do well for other teams if they're just going to leave in a season anyways.

It is. People are doing the same thing we saw with Kadri he's the problem get rid of him. We're gonna trade these guys lose in the end and meanwhile they gonna do better on their new teams win a cup and we get the quote kadri gave

Trading matthews = rebuild

Nylander u can but u need to be careful and ensure u can at least break even

Marner u are never winning that trade
13 mai 2023 à 14 h 37
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 13 mai 2023 à 14 h 43
It is. People are doing the same thing we saw with Kadri he's the problem get rid of him. We're gonna trade these guys lose in the end and meanwhile they gonna do better on their new teams win a cup and we get the quote

Trading matthews = rebuild

Nylander u can but u need to be careful and ensure u can at least break even

Marner u are never winning that trade

Marner as I said before u ain't winning or breaking even that trade. Nylander u can break even but do not rush anything or Kadri 2.0. Matthews being moved = rebuild

Leafs got almost 20mill and there are some nice options to add. Could even go aggressive on 1 year deals

Patches, ROR, Bertuzzi, Brown, etc
13 mai 2023 à 15 h 19
Ovchinnikov 137
Rejoint: avr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,982
Quoting: Trickster
This might be unpopular but this core does not have enough fire or passion to get it done.

My point is that stop accepting mediocrity, don't settle for 1 round playoff win.

I’m fully on the rebuild train IF Matthews is uninterested in signing long-term, I would learn towards totally tearing it down and rebuilding.
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
13 mai 2023 à 15 h 46
Hakuna Matata

A rebuild would be the worst thing to happen to this team since the Ayers loss. Prime definition of MLSE ****ing up

Only way u entertain is if Matthews says I dont want to stay.

Honestly its the WSH situation. Ovie isnt the guy trade him this team cant win, Pitts got their number blah blah blah. What happened 2018 won, could have blown it all up but they didnt. Same with St. Louis in 2019. Bring in a new HC, get aggressive this FA on 1 year deals, explore trades and they can go for it all

As imagine them bringing in

ROR, Patches, Brown on 1 year deals

Patches-Matthews-Nylander
Knies-JT-Marner
Jarnkrok-ROR-Brown
Lafferty-Holmberg-Acciari

Rielly-Schenn
McCabe-Brodie
Holden-Liligren
13 mai 2023 à 17 h 2
Just Keep Swimming
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 5,595
Quoting: MatthewsFan
I’m fully on the rebuild train IF Matthews is uninterested in signing long-term, I would learn towards totally tearing it down and rebuilding.

A rebuild would be the worst thing to happen to this team since the Ayers loss. Prime definition of MLSE ****ing up

Honestly its the WSH situation. Ovie isnt the guy trade him this team cant win, Pitts got their number blah blah blah. What happened 2018 won, could have blown it all up but they didnt. Same with St. Louis in 2019. Bring in a new HC, get aggressive this FA on 1 year deals, explore trades and they can go for it all

Knies-JT-Marner
Jarnkrok-ROR-Brown

Rielly-Schenn
McCabe-Brodie
Holden-Liligren

You can tell how 'good' an idea the Leafs rebuilding is based on opposing fans creaming their pants after every leafs loss to trade away the core
13 mai 2023 à 17 h 27
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Random2152
You can tell how 'good' an idea the Leafs rebuilding is based on opposing fans creaming their pants after every leafs loss to trade away the core

They would be doing it no matter what happened

Leafs win cup

Yea but Marner had no points in the finals trade him

Well what about Nylander he had 1 goal in 6 games worthless

Then Matthews

He didnt break 20 playoff goals let him walk

Or the big old. Fine they did it do it again lul

Got to love em sometimes

I dont think the fanbase will ever be happy as they will always find something or someone to complain about
13 mai 2023 à 18 h 4
Rejoint: janv. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 5,264
Just throwing sh*t at the wall here, but if Marner was to be moved could something around Ehlers work do you guys think?

Seems like changes are coming to the Jets and Ehlers doesn't really get the minutes you'd think for a player of his caliber. Leafs would be giving up the better player obviously, but Ehlers is no slouch. They'd still be getting an elite (or at least legit top line; semantics) player back, some extra cap space to work with and likely another asset or two on top of Nik (Brad Lambert please).

Idk, just a thought.
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
13 mai 2023 à 18 h 52
hey look a squirrel

I been a big champion of Matthews but there is no denying he was a no show vs Florida when it counted
oneX a aimé ceci.
13 mai 2023 à 18 h 57
hey look a squirrel

Knies-JT-Marner
Jarnkrok-ROR-Brown

Rielly-Schenn
McCabe-Brodie
Holden-Liligren

Did you watch the same games?
Where was Matthews vs Florida?

Listen I know you want celebrate a round win but don't let it go to your head.

There have been higher expectations of this group and the one constant has been failure, not success
oneX a aimé ceci.
13 mai 2023 à 19 h 5
Ovchinnikov 137
I been a big champion of Matthews but there is no denying he was a no show vs Florida when it counted

Even putting my own fandom of Matthews to the side, it’s not like the effort wasn’t there

Yes, it’s a results driven game but sometimes you do have to tip your hat and give credit to where credit is due:

I personally have more faith in Matthews coming back stronger, hopefully healthier (been enough images going around with his wrist) to believe that he can show he is a top player in this league regular season + playoffs.

IF he is willing to resign it would be nonsense not to. But IF he isn’t, tear it down to the studs. He is the only guy you build around
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
13 mai 2023 à 19 h 10
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
Just throwing sh*t at the wall here, but if Marner was to be moved could something around Ehlers work do you guys think?

Seems like changes are coming to the Jets and Ehlers doesn't really get the minutes you'd think for a player of his caliber. Leafs would be giving up the better player obviously, but Ehlers is no slouch. They'd still be getting an elite (or at least legit top line; semantics) player back, some extra cap space to work with and likely another asset or two on top of Nik (Brad Lambert please).

Idk, just a thought.

I’m probably galaxy braining it but it’s difficult finding a landing spot for Marner. Could NJD want to swap Meier or Bratt? With Landeskog out all year, could the money work to get Byram?

I really like Ehlers, be great to just add him to the team. God knows we NEED a legit top 6 fwd IF they keep Matthews Marner Tavares Nylander
13 mai 2023 à 19 h 20
hey look a squirrel
Even putting my own fandom of Matthews to the side, it’s not like the effort wasn’t there

Yes, it’s a results driven game but sometimes you do have to tip your hat and give credit to where credit is due:

I personally have more faith in Matthews coming back stronger, hopefully healthier (been enough images going around with his wrist) to believe that he can show he is a top player in this league regular season + playoffs.

IF he is willing to resign it would be nonsense not to. But IF he isn’t, tear it down to the studs. He is the only guy you build around

Remind me again how years we have been exiting the playoffs earlier then we thought again?
Wasn't just this time around right?
MatthewsFan, Saskleaf et oneX a aimé ceci.
13 mai 2023 à 19 h 48
Rejoint: janv. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 5,264
I’m probably galaxy braining it but it’s difficult finding a landing spot for Marner. Could NJD want to swap Meier or Bratt? With Landeskog out all year, could the money work to get Byram?

I really like Ehlers, be great to just add him to the team. God knows we NEED a legit top 6 fwd IF they keep Matthews Marner Tavares Nylander

I wondered about those NJD guys too. Can't see them willing to trade Meier having just acquired him and him fitting the bill for what they wanted in "hard skill" or whatever they called it.

Feel like the Byram one may be a bit galaxy brain, but that's just me.
MatthewsFan a aimé ceci.
13 mai 2023 à 21 h 7
Hakuna Matata

Matthews had an off year everyone saw it. To me its more likely the guy we saw last year is the actual him. As for like 2months he didnt use his signature wrist shot.

Priority #1 next to extension is making sure the boyz healthy

Cause he went from 60 goals 100 points to barely cracking 40

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage