Forums/NHL Trades

(NSH/EDM) - Ekholm and 6th for Barrie, Schaefer, 1st and 4th

Who won the trade?
Le graphique a été masqué

Options de sondage

28 févr. 2023 à 19 h 5
Rejoint: oct. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 511
Little Birdy told me Trotz was behind this one.
OldNYIfan et SadSensFan14 a aimé ceci.
28 févr. 2023 à 19 h 6
You know nothing JS
Rejoint: janv. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 4,431
Barrie will be flipped for an even bigger return. Jezz
28 févr. 2023 à 19 h 8
WentWughes
Rejoint: nov. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 10,273
Quoting: Koskinen_The_Great
I don't care if its a .0001% upgrade. McDrai's window is now and for morale, alone, it would have been a good move. Then, you consider that they both, McDavid and Draisaitl, need new deals in 3 years, this kind of commitment to winning is what will keep them in Edmonton and NOT holding on to lottery tickets because they could be worth something in 2026 when their contracts are up and they have all the cap space in the world. That isnt shortsighted either, Keeping the best players in the world happy will always come before some draft picks and mid prospects

Listen, If I'm McDavid or Drasaitl in 3 years, I look at this team will all of the old players on long term contracts, I'm not returning. Edmonton's window is right now, you're right. But moves like this are what would cause superstars to leave IMO.
28 févr. 2023 à 19 h 8
Hawks Fan
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 1,673
Poile needs to show Davidson how to trade. He rarely loses.
28 févr. 2023 à 19 h 9
Rejoint: janv. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 52
Considering horw well Barrie has played this year, this trade doesn't make sense for the Oiler's.
28 févr. 2023 à 19 h 13
Rejoint: août 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 121
Quoting: Koskinen_The_Great
How did they overpay? You would have crucified Holland had he done nothing! They had to give up something, other teams were bidding, they needed Ekholm badly.

Its TDL prices not the offseason. I dont see how they could have done better than this. Nashville also does well as they can flip Barrie next season or maybe this season for picks.

This is a win-win trade.

Barrie, I know, they could have still used but still they gave up nothing worthwhile for a legit prime top4 piece that they needed with size that can shutdown the opposition and we break up that Nurse-Ceci pairing.

Easy there big shoots, I agree with them going after Ekholm instead of Karlsson. Very well could be a win-win deal, but I'm willing to say that NSH got the better end of this deal (Provided NSH doesnt completely blow it up, which I hardly to be the case). I also loath Holland for the shambles he left the wings in.
Andy_Dick a aimé ceci.
28 févr. 2023 à 19 h 17
Rejoint: mars 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 833
Quoting: Hollands_missing_brain
Really love this for EDM bc they now get to avoid Karlsson massive length of a contract. With that said, they over paid.

Ekholm is the same age as Karlsson and signed for 1 year less than Karlsson.

He'll be 33 in the playoffs .... and 36 when his contract expires.
28 févr. 2023 à 19 h 18
Rejoint: mars 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 833
Quoting: JmoneyTalk
Oilers get arguably the best two way defender in the league. Lol

LMAO what did you just say?
28 févr. 2023 à 19 h 20
Banni
Rejoint: févr. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 2,372
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
Listen, If I'm McDavid or Drasaitl in 3 years, I look at this team will all of the old players on long term contracts, I'm not returning. Edmonton's window is right now, you're right. But moves like this are what would cause superstars to leave IMO.

The only way this causes them to leave is because Barrie was a big part of the locker room. McDavid and Draisaitl dont care about draft picks.. AT ALL! They dont have long term contracts to old ppl, youre thinking of the Penguins, Malkin, Letang and Crosby all resigned so your theory has been tested. The Pens players didnt care.
28 févr. 2023 à 19 h 28
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 548
Used to be the offensive defensemen who were in high demand. Now we’re seeing Edmonton pay a pretty high price – a 1st-round draft pick, last year’s 32nd overall pick, an additional $1.5M per year in cap hit, and taking on a contract that’s probably one or two years too long – to upgrade from a very good offensive defenseman to one who’s more defensively oriented. I’m not necessarily saying it’s a bad move – it might be just the thing that the league’s best offensive team with a below average defence needs – but I don’t think we would have seen it in past years.
28 févr. 2023 à 19 h 30
Rejoint: août 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 121
Quoting: drewjenkins
Ekholm is the same age as Karlsson and signed for 1 year less than Karlsson.

He'll be 33 in the playoffs .... and 36 when his contract expires.

The extra year and weight of the contract is a substantial difference, regardless of the this resurgence Karlsson is having
Andy_Dick a aimé ceci.
28 févr. 2023 à 19 h 35
Ban Price trades
Rejoint: oct. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 6,455

What old players? Ekholm expires the year after. They're friends with Nurse, Nugent-Hopkins, and Hyman.

If Holland had stood pat this deadline I could see them leaving. They probably stay now provided Edmonton wins at least 1 cup in the next 3 years.
Andy_Dick et Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
28 févr. 2023 à 19 h 43
Ouch
Rejoint: sept. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 540

Is has been stated countless times Ekholm is one of the best two way dmen in the league.
Saskleaf et AK50 a aimé ceci.
28 févr. 2023 à 19 h 52
MOVE THE COYOTES
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 1,549
Poile is on a roll!!!
OilednGreasy et Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
28 févr. 2023 à 20 h 17
I make typos
Mentions "j'aime": 4,991
Just give Poile GM of the year.

Nashville: Acquires a younger #4, a former 1st round pick, a 1st round pick, and a 4th.

Edmonton: Acquires a Older Injury Prone #3 that will hurt in year 3 & 4 of the contract. Might be a slight upgrade now, but holy **** is this bad long term.

your probably just upset that Holland didn't trade Bourgault for Edmundson like the Habs media told you he would

Bro what are you on right now, Ekholm is literally the exactly the kind of player the Oilers need, a legit top four Dman who can play LD or RD and is great defensively
AK50 et Andy_Dick a aimé ceci.
28 févr. 2023 à 20 h 23
I make typos
Mentions "j'aime": 4,991
Quoting: jpsnow13
Barrie will be flipped for an even bigger return. Jezz

I literally had people tell me on here that Barrie was a Cap dump and that Oilers fans where crazy for thinking he had value
BeterChiarelli et Andy_Dick a aimé ceci.
28 févr. 2023 à 20 h 28
WentWughes
Quoting: oilersguy
your probably just upset that Holland didn't trade Bourgault for Edmundson like the Habs media told you he would

Bro what are you on right now, Ekholm is literally the exactly the kind of player the Oilers need, a legit top four Dman who can play LD or RD and is great defensively

Nawh. Edmundson would be a terrible trade for Edmonton to make, He's terrible. Edmonton got the right guy, just traded the wrong pieces to get him.
oilersguy et OilednGreasy a aimé ceci.
28 févr. 2023 à 20 h 46
JT Miller for Hart
Mentions "j'aime": 715
Just give Poile GM of the year.

Nashville: Acquires a younger #4, a former 1st round pick, a 1st round pick, and a 4th.

Edmonton: Acquires a Older Injury Prone #3 that will hurt in year 3 & 4 of the contract. Might be a slight upgrade now, but holy **** is this bad long term.

He missed 8 games in the COVID-shortened season and 6 last season due to COVID protocol. Doesn't seem injury prone does it? Stand by EDM winning. Ekholm has been aging decently and his defense shouldn't be a problem 2-3 years from now. Physically and speed-wise, he's going to slow down, but his defensive awareness is likely to still be there.
Andy_Dick a aimé ceci.
28 févr. 2023 à 20 h 51
WentWughes
Quoting: AK50
He missed 8 games in the COVID-shortened season and 6 last season due to COVID protocol. Doesn't seem injury prone does it? Stand by EDM winning. Ekholm has been aging decently and his defense shouldn't be a problem 2-3 years from now. Physically and speed-wise, he's going to slow down, but his defensive awareness is likely to still be there.

Was thinking of another defender for some reason (I'll change my comment), point still stands that he's 32 and showing signs of regression. I already agreed that he's better than Barrie, but now worth 2 first round picks. Holland overpaying as per usual. Better pray McDavid/Drasaitl stick around because they'll be a lottery team once those 2 players leave.
28 févr. 2023 à 20 h 51
JT Miller for Hart
Mentions "j'aime": 715
Quoting: JmoneyTalk
Is has been stated countless times Ekholm is one of the best two way dmen in the league.

He is. It's just facts. Killer slapshot(when he takes it), good physically, can and has stopped his fair share of two on ones, shot blocking machine, doesn't get the credit on the stat sheet but he starts a lot of plays. He is one of the reasons(besides Josi), that our d-core has historically been one of the deepest in the league and our team is just a defensive PIPELINE. Weber, Subban, Muzzin, Suter, Jones and Girard have been just some that we've trained up.
JmoneyTalk et Andy_Dick a aimé ceci.
28 févr. 2023 à 21 h 54
Rejoint: févr. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 1,491
Quoting: CSStrowbridge
78 vs 72. Not a large upgrade.

https://twitter.com/JFreshHockey/status/1630700461698195459/photo/1

vs.

https://twitter.com/JFreshHockey/status/1630696634425171970/photo/1

The #1 thing Oilers struggle with is EV defence where Ekholm shows a ~60% improvement while playing against tougher assignments and with lesser teammates. A lot of Barrie's value was PP minutes but even then he wasn't really the main reason for the PP success.
Andy_Dick a aimé ceci.
28 févr. 2023 à 22 h 56
Banni
Mentions "j'aime": 2,372
Quoting: Bluetomorrow83
The #1 thing Oilers struggle with is EV defence where Ekholm shows a ~60% improvement while playing against tougher assignments and with lesser teammates. A lot of Barrie's value was PP minutes but even then he wasn't really the main reason for the PP success.

That's the point, right there. They can sacrifice a little offence for a better shutdown pair. There are always doubters which is fine but I'm quite shocked Holland didn't have to give up an A prospect or multiple 1sts+ when Edmonton usually has to 'overpay' for the players they target. This was more than a fair price with Ekholm being one of the biggest prizes at the TDL. Maybe holding on to all these 1st round picks finally paid off where he could sacrifice something for other than AA or Kulak.
28 févr. 2023 à 23 h 51
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 855
Quoting: Bluetomorrow83

I don't disagree with you. I do think the Oilers got better, but not by a large amount. Certainly not by a 1st and a prospect.
1 mars 2023 à 2 h 32
Rejoint: déc. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 3,523
Ekholm has been remarkably healthy over the course of his career. He very rarely misses extended time. Barrie, on the other hand, has never played 80 games in a season. On the ice, he's rock solid on both sides of the puck and consistent. Barrie is a defensive liability. I'm not saying he's the final piece to the puzzle, but he's precisely what the Oilers need right now. Given Chychrun's history of injuries, this was the better play. Big W for Holland.
AK50 a aimé ceci.
1 mars 2023 à 8 h 36
Leafs going to Leafs
Rejoint: déc. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 2,949
I hope to be wrong but this has Muzzin 2.0 written all over it

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Chargement de l'animation
Soumettre les modifications du sondage