SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Team Canada Scandal

30 janv. à 18 h 32
Rejoint: mai 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 18,356
I read today that a trial is not expected until 2026.

Hockey Canada had put a blanket ban on the entire team for international events until a final verdict or conclusion was reached.

It’s probably a little early, but has anyone seen any updates on this ruling? If there is going to be a World Cup 2025, I imagine there would be some attempt to remove the other players who that have not been implicated. But have not seen anything about it.
30 janv. à 18 h 34
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 17,386
Quoting: NHLfan10506

Hockey Canada had put a blanket ban on the entire team for international events until a final verdict or conclusion was reached.

It’s probably a little early, but has anyone seen any updates on this ruling? If there is going to be a World Cup 2025, I imagine there would be some attempt to remove the other players who that have not been implicated. But have not seen anything about it.

Hockey Canada is currently doing a report on the assault, I’d imagine, after their report is done, they’d remove the blanket ban and change it to the names they feel should be banned
30 janv. à 18 h 53
WentWughes
Rejoint: nov. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 10,273

2026 is wild, Not only do the "victims" have to wait until 2026 for a ruling, but if these guys are innocent, that's 2 years off of their playing careers.
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
30 janv. à 20 h 16
EklundCelebriniSmith
Rejoint: sept. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 12,828
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
2026 is wild, Not only do the "victims" have to wait until 2026 for a ruling, but if these guys are innocent, that's 2 years off of their playing careers.

If even one of them is innocent, they likely know who did it and didn’t speak up/ didn’t provide information that was informative. There’s a reason why each of these 5 have been selected to be charged.

Losing 2 years off their careers seems kinda light compared to what they’ve helped “hide”
mokumboi a aimé ceci.
30 janv. à 21 h 20
Steve Durbano Fan
Rejoint: janv. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 44
Quoting: OldHabsFan61
Wow. People should sabotage themselves for “change” is your basic thesis here. I have no desire to debate politics with you or anyone. You’ve made your politics incredibly clear. Mine are the opposite of yours so let’s leave that there. I also have no problem with nuking Hockey Canada and replacing every current employee. We

Here’s where I’m taking issue with you:
My issue with your approach is simple
“Have you no genuine empathy for the victims of these sexual assaults or are you so firmly entrenched as a product of your time that you cannot see this as anything other than "boys will be boys"?”

Let me tell you about the “product of time”, yes I’m from a different time, one where people were presumed to be innocent until a court of law found them guilty. This is one of the bedrocks of a society founded on constitutional law, monarchy or republic aside. This is as crucial to a democratic society as free speech is. I don’t know who you are other than some person on the internet but let me tell you about the times you’re living in, people are now destroyed in their private lives by ACCUSATIONS.

Accusation: a charge or claim that someone has done something illegal or wrong.

Victim- a person harmed, injured, or killed as a result of a crime, accident, or other event or action.

Now everyone today loves the sound of their voice and their opinion but the beauty of a language is that words having actual meanings free from our opinions. The people bringing forth these allegations are “alleged victims”. Those who have been accused are “alleged offenders”.

What scares the heck out of me is to see what you and most younger people (I’m not assuming your age other than doubting you’re my age) say… “the victims of these sexual assaults…”

Your lack of acknowledging that these are allegations and not facts is absolutely frightening. You have already made up your mind that 6 or 7 members of the 2018 Canadian junior team are rapists. That’s seems like a settled fact for you, which is absolutely mind boggling to me when we have absolutely no charges and no court proceedings at this point, yet you’ve skipped the indictment and trial and went straight to a verdict.

Why are you going to a guilty verdict on these players without as much as an indictment? Does that not make you wonder why you’re so comfortable jumping to this conclusion? Do you do this with criminal accusations? Or is it just high profile sexual assault accusations? I’m trying to understand this because our entire justice system is based off the opposite thinking.

Here’s where I’m taking issue with this thread
My issue with the approach is simple in that people think you can declare guilt before a verdict which is far to common in this day and age. Let them have a fair trial outside of public scrutiny and then forcast a reasonable course forward based on the judgement of the court and not what you read on the internet which may or may not be true.
Let me give you a scenario that shows the danger in your approach. Lets say you are living your life minding your own business and someone of power and influence moves in next door and decides he does not like you.He concocts a story of you do something both illegal and immoral and uses his influence to destroy you in social media and that information flows to your employer (costing you your job and the finacial means to defend yourself) and friends (making an isolated paryra out of you.) Do you think you have any hope of recovering from this issue which is not your fault. The answer absolutely no chance for you as you will just be another trampled citizen sacrificed for someone else;s power trip. This is why the courts and publication bans are becoming more neccessary than ever. Ruining lives to enhance the news of the day is unfair and undemocratic.
30 janv. à 22 h 13
Bedard23
Rejoint: mai 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 4,476

I won’t be shocked if the case drags into 2028 considering the canadian legal system moves at about the speed of me waking up on a Monday morning
30 janv. à 22 h 18
Bedard23
Rejoint: mai 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 4,476
As for the 2025 world cup, you’re assuming Canada will even have a national team by 2025, because I could see anyone who is even considered a top 6 player boycotting the team and they’ll be forced to play guys who under no circumstance would be playing for them
30 janv. à 23 h 20
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Hockey Canada is currently doing a report on the assault, I’d imagine, after their report is done, they’d remove the blanket ban and change it to the names they feel should be banned

Quoting: IconicHawk
I won’t be shocked if the case drags into 2028 considering the canadian legal system moves at about the speed of me waking up on a Monday morning

It’s a tough road ahead for Hockey Canada…just got to do the next right thing. On one hand, that means avoiding punishing those that did not play a part (nor the fans). On the other, acknowledging the problems and being patient in correcting them. I do not envy their spot.

Wonder if pushing back World Cup another year or two becomes an option. Imagine there will be a lot of pressure to do that.
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
30 janv. à 23 h 49
Rejoint: juin 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 952
Wonder if pushing back World Cup another year or two becomes an option. Imagine there will be a lot of pressure to do that.

This is a legal issue for one country's governing body. I know Canada invented hockey, but they aren't the entire hockey universe anymore. If English futbol had the same problem how ridiculous would it be if they asked to delay the World Cup? I get it, you are trying to process the impacts but this is an overreaction.
A_Habs_fan a aimé ceci.
30 janv. à 23 h 53
Leafs going to Leafs
Rejoint: déc. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 2,948
Quoting: HockeyScotty
This is a legal issue for one country's governing body. I know Canada invented hockey, but they aren't the entire hockey universe anymore. If English futbol had the same problem how ridiculous would it be if they asked to delay the World Cup? I get it, you are trying to process the impacts but this is an overreaction.

To add, the only impact would be that Makar, Kyrou, Thomas and Hart can't play...

They'll still have other guys and more importantly;

Hopefully the Canadian Justice system punish those in violation of laws and don't punish who isn't based on fact

Innocent until proven guilty
31 janv. à 1 h 35
mokumboi
Rejoint: avr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,359
If this is true, Dube is a real lame excuse for a human. If it's true, how many years has he hid this from the team FCOL? Unreal.

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/news/calgary-flames-say-they-had-no-knowledge-of-dillon-dubes-pending-charges-before-granting-leave

Quoting: Leafsfan98
To add, the only impact would be that Makar, Kyrou, Thomas and Hart can't play...

They'll still have other guys and more importantly;

Hopefully the Canadian Justice system punish those in violation of laws and don't punish who isn't based on fact

Innocent until proven guilty

1 - I'd imagine those temporary formality suspensions will be lifted before too long. Kyrou and IIRC Makar weren't even in town when this happened.

2 - I would not hold your breath for the verdict you're hoping for.
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
31 janv. à 8 h 32
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: mokumboi

1 - I'd imagine those temporary formality suspensions will be lifted before too long. Kyrou and IIRC Makar weren't even in town when this happened.

2 - I would not hold your breath for the verdict you're hoping for.

1 - Most likely, but I think even if they can't play, it's not like it's some travesty or something

2 - It will be a long trial, and I'm just hoping for the justice system to do its thing, if those 5 are truly guilty... Punish them... If those 5 are truly innocent, don't punish them
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
31 janv. à 13 h 57
mokumboi
1 - Most likely, but I think even if they can't play, it's not like it's some travesty or something

Hmm. Probably would seem like a travesty to Kyrou, Makar, etc.
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
31 janv. à 17 h 26
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: mokumboi
Hmm. Probably would seem like a travesty to Kyrou, Makar, etc.

It would... But I'm saying in the grand scheme of things
31 janv. à 19 h 48
mokumboi
It would... But I'm saying in the grand scheme of things

Hmm. In the grand scheme of things, Hockey Canada would be even a bigger joke of a clown car than it already is. Punishing some of your best and brightest for an incident they weren't even in town for when you covered up for the actual rapists for six years (and millions of contract dollars). You can't go punishing the innocent and protecting the guilty, man. They've done more than enough of that already, and people/government officials are fed up.

And anyway, what if Makar, Thomas and Kyrou all say, fine F you old fat scumbags, I'm never playing for Canada again? That grand scheme would get real fast.
2 févr. à 12 h 5
average joe
Mentions "j'aime": 92

It is wild. It appears this was investigate thoroughly a half decade ago. This was in the era of #MeToo, when prosecutors were giving all benefits of the doubt to the victim. They determined no charges were warranted.
Now that politicians get involved - surprise - charges ensue.
What happens if it's found these charges were politically motivated, and these 5 are innocent.
It will have cost these players north of $100M cumulatively in lost salaries and destroyed their lives.
In a just society, if they are found innocent, they should collect (between the 5 of them) about 1/4 Billion dollars for damages.
capsfan2121 et NHLfan10506 a aimé ceci.
2 févr. à 13 h 15
Rejoint: juin 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 435
Quoting: Messier99
It is wild. It appears this was investigate thoroughly a half decade ago. This was in the era of #MeToo, when prosecutors were giving all benefits of the doubt to the victim. They determined no charges were warranted.
Now that politicians get involved - surprise - charges ensue.
What happens if it's found these charges were politically motivated, and these 5 are innocent.
It will have cost these players north of $100M cumulatively in lost salaries and destroyed their lives.
In a just society, if they are found innocent, they should collect (between the 5 of them) about 1/4 Billion dollars for damages.

"Politically motivated"? Are these hockey players involved in politics?
A_Habs_fan et OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
2 févr. à 16 h 8
WentWughes
Quoting: Bflo_Soldier
"Politically motivated"? Are these hockey players involved in politics?

No, but the whole situation is most definitely. Messier is 100% spot on.
2 févr. à 16 h 19
Mentions "j'aime": 17,386
No, but the whole situation is most definitely. Messier is 100% spot on.

not really, this situation was the catalyst for the changes at Hockey Canada, whether the player involved are guilty or not, hockey Canada using funds to pay for people's silence is unacceptable, and there's a reason why the public and sponsors wanted answers. I don't think anyone will say the changes at hockey Canada weren't warranted if it turns out these people are innocent
Bflo_Soldier, Eissportclub, BeterChiarelli and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
5 févr. à 13 h 58
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
not really, this situation was the catalyst for the changes at Hockey Canada, whether the player involved are guilty or not, hockey Canada using funds to pay for people's silence is unacceptable, and there's a reason why the public and sponsors wanted answers. I don't think anyone will say the changes at hockey Canada weren't warranted if it turns out these people are innocent

Criminal and civil proceedings are different in many ways, as I am sure you know. But there two separate issues related here….one is public right to know, another is public right to influence.

1. Should these types of cases be allowed to be settled out of court like any other civil case? Or should public interest force all parties, including victims, to publicly identify themselves? Should Hockey Canada, or any entity really, cover liability for their members? Should liability insurance be disallowed? If one seeking damages is then unable to recover them from individuals responsible, has justice been done?

2. Should external pressure or ‘catalysts for change’ or public opinion have an impact on civil cases? Should they have an impact on criminal cases? What if criminal investigations are inconclusive, but the public wants a guilty verdict? What if trial by jury finds innocence and public wants a guilty verdict? What if victim says innocent, public says guilty?

…sometimes the ‘change’ isn’t always for the better. Maybe a bunch of people with pitchforks can overturn the system…but I don’t think they will like the alternative.

But what do I know
5 févr. à 14 h 19
torontos finest
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,192

Press Conference from London Police regarding the investigation.

2 counts of SA for McLeod, 1 count of SA for the other four.
KSIxSKULLS et zk97 a aimé ceci.
5 févr. à 14 h 21
WentWughes
McLeod got an addition charge for aiding the offense, that's one the other count of SA is.
5 févr. à 15 h 19
torontos finest
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,192
LPS don't look fantastic after that press conference. Reporters honed in a lot of questions on a) the length of the investigation, b) the process, results and review of the initial investigation and c) accountability from the police department.

Obviously because the case is ongoing, there are a lot of things that the Chief/Sargent weren't going to answer, but they definitely dodged a lot of questions related to the above three. The Chief had a big spiel about how the media's portrayal of women is a contributor to sexual assault (which was in response to a question about what the police department is doing to be better about address SA cases), and the next question he got was if an SA investigation taking six years was also a contributor.

As this goes forward and the details are revealed I don't think the initial LPS investigation is going to turn out looking great.
5 févr. à 15 h 34
Quoting: mondo
LPS don't look fantastic after that press conference. Reporters honed in a lot of questions on a) the length of the investigation, b) the process, results and review of the initial investigation and c) accountability from the police department.

Obviously because the case is ongoing, there are a lot of things that the Chief/Sargent weren't going to answer, but they definitely dodged a lot of questions related to the above three. The Chief had a big spiel about how the media's portrayal of women is a contributor to sexual assault (which was in response to a question about what the police department is doing to be better about address SA cases), and the next question he got was if an SA investigation taking six years was also a contributor.

As this goes forward and the details are revealed I don't think the initial LPS investigation is going to turn out looking great.

The comment about women’s portrayal in media was cringeworthy. Not the right time or place for that.

The media looked really bad too… asking the same question over and over.

The only newsworthy item, I think, was the Detective said that new evidence came in from the community after they reopened case.
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
5 févr. à 15 h 52
Rejoint: juin 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 435
Criminal and civil proceedings are different in many ways, as I am sure you know. But there two separate issues related here….one is public right to know, another is public right to influence.

1. Should these types of cases be allowed to be settled out of court like any other civil case? Or should public interest force all parties, including victims, to publicly identify themselves? Should Hockey Canada, or any entity really, cover liability for their members? Should liability insurance be disallowed? If one seeking damages is then unable to recover them from individuals responsible, has justice been done?

2. Should external pressure or ‘catalysts for change’ or public opinion have an impact on civil cases? Should they have an impact on criminal cases? What if criminal investigations are inconclusive, but the public wants a guilty verdict? What if trial by jury finds innocence and public wants a guilty verdict? What if victim says innocent, public says guilty?

…sometimes the ‘change’ isn’t always for the better. Maybe a bunch of people with pitchforks can overturn the system…but I don’t think they will like the alternative.

But what do I know

Okay. But what about any of this is "political"?
A_Habs_fan et OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage