SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/GM Game 2018-19

2018-19 GM Game - General Discussion

Would you guys be ok with me being a GM simultaneously with my Commissioner duties?
Le graphique a été masqué

Options de sondage

16 févr. 2019 à 1 h 54
Black Lives Matter
Rejoint: mars 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 4,651
Quoting: TMLSage
barzal for Patty KANE

No
16 févr. 2019 à 1 h 55
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: BoltsPoint21
How did you misspell Brent Seabrook that badly

Well, he already traded Seabrook, so it fits the theme of the NYI-CGY-WPG trade. The theme is trading other teams' players.
TMLSage et flamesfan419 a aimé ceci.
19 févr. 2019 à 20 h 22
Former Hockey Fan
Rejoint: juin 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 10,516
After a few unexpected things happened in my life that made me unable to focus on the GM Game, but the Panthers are back and open for business. I’m sorry for any inconvenience and I will try to get to all of the offers as soon as possible.
20 févr. 2019 à 13 h 15
Lets Go Blues
Rejoint: juin 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 4,333
Modifié 20 févr. 2019 à 13 h 34
@brenfox31 @HallforHart @l9guysports @beanie2911 @flamesfan419 @Turner33 @TMLSage @DontToewsMe19 @matt59 @Mr_cap @Missouri @Max/@Dylan1995 @EthanK24 @Pross @Icegirl @ricochetii @Math @alwaysnextyear @rangersandislesfan @Gronk @NateElder12 @mhockey91 @MacWinnon @A_K @BoltsPoint21 @Rodzikhockey93 @TonyStrecher @TabooPenguo @krakowitz @TrueNorth @phillyjabroni

The consensus after discussing with GMs is that we will use a voting system to determine the winners of each playoff matchup. I have designed the voting to take place for 1 week per round of the postseason.

I'm looking for some input as to how we can make the voting fair/unbiased/logical.

At the end of the season we will have final standings that are based on statistical rankings. The best-performing teams over the season will be easily identified, but I think the reason that GMs prefer the voting is because the best team doesn't always win. However, figuring out the underdogs, the dragon-slayers, is going to be extremely tough while avoiding personal bias from each GM... so here is my first idea, let me know what you think.

Matchup voting is head-to-head, based on 7 categories, 17 total points:

Offense - 3 pts
Defense - 3 pts
Starting Goaltending - 3 pts
Star Power - 2 pts
Depth (including backup G) - 2 pts
Team Chemistry/Identity/Character - 2 pts
Pick a color, red, black, or white - 2 pts

The last category will assign "puck luck". I will choose beforehand which team is which color and it will be a blind vote. The third color will split the vote.

In 3-point categories, you may vote 3-0 or 2-1. In 2-point categories, you may vote 2-0 or 1-1. So, the poll (on Google Forms) will look like this:

Matchup: 1 STL v 8 EDM

Offense:
- STL >>>
- STL >
- EDM >
- EDM >>>

Star Power:
- STL >
- even
- EDM >

After a week of voting (1 ballot per GM) we will total up the points for each team and publish a result in terms of a 7-game series.

Ok, opening it up for questions/concerns/input/please don't make it any more complicated this is already gonna be a pain in the ass happy (but I wouldn't do it if I didn't think that it will make this really fun)
matt59, flamesfan419, Bo53Horvat and 5 others a aimé ceci.
20 févr. 2019 à 13 h 35
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: A_K
@brenfox31 @HallforHart @l9guysports @beanie2911 @flamesfan419 @Turner33 @TMLSage @DontToewsMe19 @matt59 @Mr_cap @Missouri @Max/@Dylan1995 @EthanK24 @Pross @Icegirl @ricochetii @Math @alwaysnextyear @rangersandislesfan @Gronk @NateElder12 @mhockey91 @MacWinnon @A_K @BoltsPoint21 @Rodzikhockey93 @TonyStrecher @TabooPenguo @krakowitz @TrueNorth @phillyjabroni

The consensus after discussing with GMs is that we will use a voting system to determine the winners of each playoff matchup. I have designed the voting to take place for 1 week per round of the postseason.

I'm looking for some input as to how we can make the voting fair/unbiased/logical.

At the end of the season we will have final standings that are based on statistical rankings. The best-performing teams over the season will be easily identified, but I think the reason that GMs prefer the voting is because the best team doesn't always win. However, figuring out the underdogs, the dragon-slayers, is going to be extremely tough while avoiding personal bias from each GM... so here is my first idea, let me know what you think.

Matchup voting is head-to-head, based on 7 categories, 17 total points:

Offense - 3 pts
Defense - 3 pts
Star Power - 2 pts

The last category will assign "puck luck". I will choose beforehand which team is which color and it will be a blind vote. The third color will split the vote.

In 3-point categories, you may vote 3-0 or 2-1. In 2-point categories, you may vote 2-0 or 1-1. So, the poll (on Google Forms) will look like this:

Matchup: 1 STL v 8 EDM

Offense:
- STL >>>
- STL >
- EDM >
- EDM >>>

Star Power:
- STL >
- even
- EDM >

After a week of voting (1 ballot per GM) we will total up the points for each team and publish a result in terms of a 7-game series.

Ok, opening it up for questions/concerns/input/please don't make it any more complicated this is already gonna be a pain in the ass happy (but I wouldn't do it if I didn't think that it will make this really fun)

Love this idea!
A_K a aimé ceci.
20 févr. 2019 à 15 h 38
Go Habs Go
Mentions "j'aime": 4,091
Quote:

Translation: Shut up Rico Sticking Out Tongue.

I'll look over it later when I'm not on mobile.
rangersandislesfan a aimé ceci.
20 févr. 2019 à 15 h 39
Lets Go Blues
Quoting: ricochetii
Quote:

Translation: Shut up Rico Sticking Out Tongue.

I'll look over it later when I'm not on mobile.

Haha looking forward to it buddy, thanks!
20 févr. 2019 à 16 h 8
get ur corsi up
Rejoint: mai 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 1,558
I like this idea as it will allow for upsets and will make the weeks during the trade freeze much more entertaining. However, I think a lot of the voting will be tainted with bias. It won't have huge impacts but teams will vote against other teams if they own that teams pick. For example, if someone has WSH's 1st rounder aren't they likely to vote harshly against WSH solely to get that pick higher in the draft? My point is, GM's will likely vote out of the desire to enhance their own position at the draft. Considering draft picks have been traded so much this could effect lots of teams, even with 2nd and 3rd rounders.
20 févr. 2019 à 16 h 26
Lets Go Blues
Quoting: Daryl
I like this idea as it will allow for upsets and will make the weeks during the trade freeze much more entertaining. However, I think a lot of the voting will be tainted with bias. It won't have huge impacts but teams will vote against other teams if they own that teams pick. For example, if someone has WSH's 1st rounder aren't they likely to vote harshly against WSH solely to get that pick higher in the draft? My point is, GM's will likely vote out of the desire to enhance their own position at the draft. Considering draft picks have been traded so much this could effect lots of teams, even with 2nd and 3rd rounders.

That is true, and it's the worst part about getting the involved parties to vote on the outcomes.... The hope is that a couple of biased voters don't skew the results, or that the bias is random enough to actually end up cancelling out, but it's a very valid concern. One thing that can help, we'll need to have maximum participation. I'd be open to trying to add some sort of additional weight to the favorites (based on standings at the end of the year), but other than that I don't know how we can stop the bias.

My other concern is that people will vote based on team name recognition when there are huge differences between IRL and v3 rosters...
Daryl a aimé ceci.
20 févr. 2019 à 16 h 34
Lets Go Blues

@TonyStrecher has a solution that could work - since I'll be sending the ballots via email, we can remove GMs that have an implicated 1st from being able to vote in those matchups. The only part that is trickier (I said not to make it harder on me squinting with tongue out ) is that I'll have to send each matchup vote as a separate invite. (I was going to make it one big ballot.) Do you guys like this solution?
TonyStrecher a aimé ceci.
20 févr. 2019 à 16 h 43
get ur corsi up
Mentions "j'aime": 1,558
@TonyStrecher has a solution that could work - since I'll be sending the ballots via email, we can remove GMs that have an implicated 1st from being able to vote in those matchups. The only part that is trickier (I said not to make it harder on me squinting with tongue out ) is that I'll have to send each matchup vote as a separate invite. (I was going to make it one big ballot.) Do you guys like this solution?

Makes sense. If we don't let people vote on games that have direct impacts on how they draft then we'll avoid any bias results.
A_K a aimé ceci.
20 févr. 2019 à 16 h 52
Lets Go Blues
Makes sense. If we don't let people vote on games that have direct impacts on how they draft then we'll avoid any bias results.

We're going to do a mock vote to see how the results come back and I think another thing we can do is drop the most extreme results to try to get a better sample.
Daryl et rangersandislesfan a aimé ceci.
20 févr. 2019 à 20 h 30
CFGM Game Moderator
Mentions "j'aime": 1,502
Modifié 21 févr. 2019 à 8 h 24
21 févr. 2019 à 8 h 59
NBABound
Rejoint: oct. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 1,392
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
Love this idea!

Honestly suprised you didnt ask what the colours mean
21 févr. 2019 à 12 h 49
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: Mr_cap
Honestly suprised you didnt ask what the colours mean

What do you mean? awesome face
21 févr. 2019 à 13 h 0
Go Habs Go
@A_K

Quote:

Transparency for starters. Your credibility and integrity as a GM among your peers is the only real deterrent we have. Anonymous voting is open to campaigning and indefensible choices being made because you don't have to defend your stance to anybody. At least a reason to think twice and attempt to appear unbiased might prevent people from just giving all the points to the person that campaigns the best on twitter. Voting can be private until the series is decided, so people aren't influenced and following others' choices, but ballots should be made public after the fact.

Quote:
Offense - 3 pts
Defense - 3 pts
Star Power - 2 pts

Star Power should be removed. That already overlaps into the Offense/Defense/Goal categories. If anything, I would say experience is a more significant factor, but that would also overlap in similar fashion.
Depth in the playoffs is just as important as any other category. At least 3 points in this system. I might even suggest higher.

Backup goalie should be included in the Goaltending, not the depth, maybe even it's own separate thing. People are going to put too much weight towards the goalie in relation to the depth of the lineup. They'll do 50/50 for skater/G, when it's probably more like 90/10 (or less). Basically, they'll deduct a point for a poor backup goaltender regardless of how deep your lineup is. If you are running a star goalie and mediocre backup or rookie, that's full value and typical of IRL. If you are running a decent quality tandem, that's also full value. If you have a star goaltender and also a strong backup, that's just bonus points. If you lose your starter for the rest of the post-season, 9 times out of 10 you've lost your post-season anyway.

Team chemistry can be a bonus consideration for having a good mix of youth, vets, speed, skill, toughness, etc. I'll call this "Composition".

Luck seems silly at first glance, but it keeps things interesting and is actually a factor in real life. Not just puck luck, but injury luck, penalty luck, etc. So it makes sense to have some sort of "X-factor".

I'd suggest a factor for home ice advantage as well. Obviously a set value, nothing too significant, but last change and home crowd can be the difference in close games.

This would all work better if each game was done individually, but due to time and effort constraints, we'll have to settle for a series vs. game-by-game setup. We should all take into account that this is actually a (potential) 7 game series and vote accordingly however. If you're thinking of voting overwhelmingly in favor of one team, you're basically saying it's a series sweep. There have been 2 of those per year at most over the last several seasons, only 1 a couple of times, and in one year there were 0.

Perhaps the total points percentage can reflect the actual series result? If there are 100 points total:
50-60 points = 4/3, 61-68 = 4/2, 69-75 = 4/1, 76+ = 4/0
Doesn't impact anything, just dresses up the result.

As for balloting.
Sliding scales (middle means the teams are even in that category)
Offense: 10 (5 is even 0 is max for home, 10 is max for away : A - - - - - 5 - - - - - B)
Defense: 10
Goal: 10
Depth: 6 (3 is even 0 is max for home, 5 is max for away : A - - - 3 - - - B)

Bonus points (Assign additional points for various factors)
A Backup Goal: 0 - 1 - 2
B Backup Goal: 0 - 1 - 2
A Composition: 0 - 1 - 2
B Composition: 0 - 1 - 2
A Power Play: 0 - 1 - 2
B Power Play: 0 - 1 - 2
A Penalty Kill: 0 - 1 - 2
B Penalty Kill: 0 - 1 - 2
X-Factor: 0 - 1 - 2 (I just replaced the colors with numbers)
A Home Ice: 1 - 2 (You can give the home team 1 or 2 points for home ice advantage depending on how big of a factor you think it is. They get 1 point for last change automatically. Give them another point if you think the crowd or their play at home are better than the other team's.)

I tried to work with what you set out and just refine it a little and make it more comprehensive without making it too complicated. Not sure if I succeeded. Sticking Out Tongue
Look it over anyway and let me know what you think about the adjustments.
A_K a aimé ceci.
21 févr. 2019 à 13 h 15
NBABound
Rejoint: oct. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 1,392
@A_K

Quote:

Transparency for starters. Your credibility and integrity as a GM among your peers is the only real deterrent we have. Anonymous voting is open to campaigning and indefensible choices being made because you don't have to defend your stance to anybody. At least a reason to think twice and attempt to appear unbiased might prevent people from just giving all the points to the person that campaigns the best on twitter. Voting can be private until the series is decided, so people aren't influenced and following others' choices, but ballots should be made public after the fact.

Quote:
Offense - 3 pts
Defense - 3 pts
Star Power - 2 pts

Star Power should be removed. That already overlaps into the Offense/Defense/Goal categories. If anything, I would say experience is a more significant factor, but that would also overlap in similar fashion.
Depth in the playoffs is just as important as any other category. At least 3 points in this system. I might even suggest higher.

Backup goalie should be included in the Goaltending, not the depth, maybe even it's own separate thing. People are going to put too much weight towards the goalie in relation to the depth of the lineup. They'll do 50/50 for skater/G, when it's probably more like 90/10 (or less). Basically, they'll deduct a point for a poor backup goaltender regardless of how deep your lineup is. If you are running a star goalie and mediocre backup or rookie, that's full value and typical of IRL. If you are running a decent quality tandem, that's also full value. If you have a star goaltender and also a strong backup, that's just bonus points. If you lose your starter for the rest of the post-season, 9 times out of 10 you've lost your post-season anyway.

Team chemistry can be a bonus consideration for having a good mix of youth, vets, speed, skill, toughness, etc. I'll call this "Composition".

Luck seems silly at first glance, but it keeps things interesting and is actually a factor in real life. Not just puck luck, but injury luck, penalty luck, etc. So it makes sense to have some sort of "X-factor".

I'd suggest a factor for home ice advantage as well. Obviously a set value, nothing too significant, but last change and home crowd can be the difference in close games.

This would all work better if each game was done individually, but due to time and effort constraints, we'll have to settle for a series vs. game-by-game setup. We should all take into account that this is actually a (potential) 7 game series and vote accordingly however. If you're thinking of voting overwhelmingly in favor of one team, you're basically saying it's a series sweep. There have been 2 of those per year at most over the last several seasons, only 1 a couple of times, and in one year there were 0.

Perhaps the total points percentage can reflect the actual series result? If there are 100 points total:

As for balloting.
Offense: 10 (5 is even 0 is max for home, 10 is max for away : A - - - - - 5 - - - - - B)

A Home Ice: 1 - 2 (You can give the home team 1 or 2 points for home ice advantage depending on how big of a factor you think it is. They get 1 point for last change automatically. Give them another point if you think the crowd or their play at home are better than the other team's.)

I tried to work with what you set out and just refine it a little and make it more comprehensive without making it too complicated. Not sure if I succeeded. Sticking Out Tongue

DFA7DFF6CE680FAEDAE9EFA167407DE286B46CB5
21 févr. 2019 à 13 h 16
Lets Go Blues
@A_K

Quote:

AK: good idea, I will send the ballots via email which means I should receive the responses per GM, and I can publish those ballots after each matchup. Will we have any way to handle after-the-fact disputes, though? To keep schedule, we might have 1-2 days after a matchup before we move on to the next round. If we publish the ballots and there is obvious tampering, is that enough time to halt everything and intervene? If so, do you think this might cause too much drama?

Quote:
Offense - 3 pts
Defense - 3 pts
Star Power - 2 pts

AK: I disagree, I think you need equal parts depth and star players. Let's try to get some more feedback on those categories to be democratic. We can definitely consider increasing the pts for those categories but I think they are a sort of yin and yang.

AK: My thinking was that for a short time, like a playoff series, the starter is much more important, but you have a good point about the backup goalie skewing the "depth" rankings. I will change "goaltending" to encompass the tandem, not just the starter. Depth will be skaters only.

AK: Nice, that's what I was getting at. Something that combines character and players/lines with identities. Composition is good, I'll use that and try to define it clearly in the primer that goes out before voting.

AK: @TMLSage is putting together a sheet to tally the votes, and I think he is devising some sort of home-ice advantage. Stay tuned.

AK: This is also part of @TMLSage 's sheet, it randomizes the luck game-by-game and spits out a result for each game.

As for balloting.

AK: the sliding scales are something I just brought up to @NateElder12; it's doable in Google Forms and would be more accurate on those categories. Good call. Depending on how the final pts scale turns out, we'll apply the sliding scales to each category, dependent on the cat. total.

Thanks Rico, tons of good stuff here. I'm going to attack it line by line and sorry if it's messy, but i'm not gonna break up your quotes so my comments will be mixed into the above...
21 févr. 2019 à 13 h 56
Go Habs Go
Quote:
AK: good idea, I will send the ballots via email which means I should receive the responses per GM, and I can publish those ballots after each matchup. Will we have any way to handle after-the-fact disputes, though? To keep schedule, we might have 1-2 days after a matchup before we move on to the next round. If we publish the ballots and there is obvious tampering, is that enough time to halt everything and intervene? If so, do you think this might cause too much drama?

We don't need to necessarily do anything with it, except for maybe count it on a GM's reputation/record. If we can manage to discuss reasoning civilly, it might be something to talk about for the week, but I'm not interested in drama. If someone is significantly differing in their evaluation from everyone else (aka: suspicious), the BOG could "flag" that ballot, not count it, and then explain their reasoning when they reveal the ballots. Anything else would be too late or disruptive.

Quote:
AK: I disagree, I think you need equal parts depth and star players. Let's try to get some more feedback on those categories to be democratic. We can definitely consider increasing the pts for those categories but I think they are a sort of yin and yang.

Connor McDavid isn't making the playoffs. Laine hasn't scored in 20+ games. It took Ovechkin 10(?) tries to win a cup. Star power sells tickets. It only wins games because they contribute to the team's offense and defense. You're already accounting for their contributions to the stat line, their name value doesn't matter.

The rest I can't comment on until you guys have figured it out, so once we get mock ups of the sheets we can look through them. smile
21 févr. 2019 à 14 h 23
GM - Canucks
Rejoint: déc. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 1,218
Quote:

We don't need to necessarily do anything with it, except for maybe count it on a GM's reputation/record. If we can manage to discuss reasoning civilly, it might be something to talk about for the week, but I'm not interested in drama. If someone is significantly differing in their evaluation from everyone else (aka: suspicious), the BOG could "flag" that ballot, not count it, and then explain their reasoning when they reveal the ballots. Anything else would be too late or disruptive.

Quote:

Connor McDavid isn't making the playoffs. Laine hasn't scored in 20+ games. It took Ovechkin 10(?) tries to win a cup. Star power sells tickets. It only wins games because they contribute to the team's offense and defense. You're already accounting for their contributions to the stat line, their name value doesn't matter.

The rest I can't comment on until you guys have figured it out, so once we get mock ups of the sheets we can look through them. smile

If you send me your email, I can send you the a look.
21 févr. 2019 à 14 h 30
Lets Go Blues
Quote:

Quote:

The recent winners though... Crosby/Malkin, Kane/Toews, Kopitar/Doughty, Ovi/Kuznetsov
21 févr. 2019 à 16 h 58
Go Habs Go
Quoting: TMLSage

Quote:

If you send me your email, I can send you the a look.[/quote]

Where can I find your email posted?

Quote:

The recent winners though... Crosby/Malkin, Kane/Toews, Kopitar/Doughty, Ovi/Kuznetsov[/quote]

I'm not saying Stanley Cup teams don't have star players on them.
I'm saying that all of the player's stats are already accounted for in evaluating their on-ice contributions, so why would you add an additional evaluation for certain players, on a separate basis. Crosby is already giving you a lot of points in your offense evaluation, what's the *reason* for applying his contributions to an additional category. It's not like the opposing team goes "OoOOoo it's Crosby" and forfeits.
A player with "star power" contributes the same way on the ice as everyone else, through offense and defense, which you are already counting. They aren't awarded style points. A category for star power is just how many "OoOOoo" names you can get on your roster.

If Ovechkin and Lindholm have the same point totals, why is Ovechkin worth more points?
You could say "because Ovechkin has more goals", which is fine, but we aren't separating goals and assists. That goes under "Offense".
You can't say "because it's freakin Ovechkin". Sticking Out Tongue
A_K a aimé ceci.
21 févr. 2019 à 17 h 5
Black Lives Matter
Do AGMs get to vote? And i'm guessing no GM can vote on a series involving their team, correct?
21 févr. 2019 à 17 h 7
Lets Go Blues

I guess so. Like I said, I just thought it brought a nice balance when you look at who has the better top-end guys and who has the better all-around depth... but I said we can let other opinions be heard and @TonyStrecher seems to agree with you so I'm in the minority right now. Looks like we're going to re-structure the point totals anyway so I'll probably end up cutting that category when we do.
21 févr. 2019 à 17 h 9
Lets Go Blues
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
Do AGMs get to vote? And i'm guessing no GM can vote on a series involving their team, correct?

Only GMs will vote, no AGMs. And GMs of the teams involved AND GMs of the teams that own 1st round picks of the teams involved will not be able to vote on those series.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Chargement de l'animation
Soumettre les modifications du sondage