Forums/Armchair-GM

Pettersson deal and TDL

Créé par: CertifiedAverage
Équipe: 2023-24 Blue Jackets de Columbus
Date de création initiale: 26 févr. 2024
Publié: 26 févr. 2024
Mode - plafond salarial: Basique
Description
Assuming Pettersson doesn't re-sign in Vancouver and that he's willing to do so in Columbus, who have playoff aspirations.

Peeke and Roslovic basically goes for draft picks to whoever gives the best offer.

---

Clarifications summarising my confused ramblings in the comments section:
The Pettersson deal:
- Pettersson wants out of Vancouver for tax reasons.
- Due to this and the very high salary that re-signing him would require, only a handful of teams are seriously involved.
- This is an opening offer. Due to the many factors playing into the situation based on the assumptions above, it's going to be impossible to find any kind of sweet spot. Therefore, I gave the opening offer and note that Columbus, if need be, could probably add someone like Brindley to the deal, exchange Johnson for Marchenko, Ceulemans for Svozil, throw in a later round draft pick, you name it.
- Given Vancouver's situation, I'd imagine they'd generally prefer players to draft picks.
- The 2024 1st included is unprotected and likely top 5. With that, you can get a player like Celebrini, Catton, Demidov, Dickinson, Levshunov or Silayev. That might give Vancouver a player in 24-25 or 25-26.
- The trade would be made in the off-season, before the draft.
- The only players completely off limits are Fantilli and Jiricek. Mateychuk, Werenski and Jenner would warrant something more coming back from Vancouver or subtracting something from Columbus' side.
- An example of a more realistic representation of the upper region of what Columbus would offer is this trade:
https://www.capfriendly.com/forums/thread/808174

The other deals:
- They are TDL moves. The Peeke and Roslovic trade could be with any team.
- The NJ trade is based on another post:
https://www.capfriendly.com/forums/thread/806181
Transactions
CBJ
  1. Choix de 2e ronde en 2024 (CBJ)
PHI
  1. Choix de 2e ronde en 2025 (CBJ)
Détails additionnels:
Deferring the pick to 2025.
CBJ
  1. Choix de 2e ronde en 2024 (CAR)
CAR
  1. Roslovic, Jack (2 000 000 $ retained)
CBJ
  1. Choix de 7e ronde en 2024 (OTT)
  2. Choix de 7e ronde en 2024 (TOR)
CBJ
  1. Vanecek, Vitek
  2. Choix de 1e ronde en 2024 (NJD)
  3. Choix de 3e ronde en 2024 (NJD)
  4. Choix de 5e ronde en 2024 (COL)
NJD
  1. Merzlikins, Elvis (1 000 000 $ retained)
Détails additionnels:
Based on this: https://www.capfriendly.com/forums/thread/806181
Rachats de contrats
Transactions impliquant une retenue de salaire
Repêchage1e ronde2e ronde3e ronde4e ronde5e ronde6e ronde7e ronde
Logo de NJD
Logo de CBJ
Logo de CAR
Logo de CBJ
Logo de LAK
Logo de NJD
Logo de CBJ
Logo de CBJ
Logo de COL
Logo de CBJ
Logo de OTT
Logo de TOR
Logo de CBJ
Logo de CBJ
Logo de CBJ
Logo de CBJ
Logo de CBJ
Logo de CBJ
Logo de VGK
Logo de CBJ
Logo de CBJ
Logo de CBJ
Logo de CBJ
Logo de CBJ
Logo de CBJ
Logo de PIT
Logo de CBJ
TAILLE DE LA FORMATIONPLAFOND SALARIALCAP HITEXCÉDENTS Info-bulleBONISESPACE SOUS LE PLAFOND SALARIAL
2183 500 000 $66 183 333 $0 $4 900 000 $17 316 667 $
Ailier gaucheCentreAilier droit
Logo de Blue Jackets de Columbus
3 750 000 $3 750 000 $
C, AG
M-NTC
UFA - 3
Logo de Canucks de Vancouver
7 350 000 $7 350 000 $
C, AG
UFA - 1
925 000 $925 000 $ (Bonis de performance850 000 $$850K)
AD
RFA - 1
9 750 000 $9 750 000 $
AG
NMC
UFA - 6
950 000 $950 000 $ (Bonis de performance3 200 000 $$3M)
C
RFA - 3
975 000 $975 000 $
AD, C
UFA - 1
1 525 000 $1 525 000 $
AG, C, AD
RFA - 1
925 000 $925 000 $
AG, C, AD
RFA - 2
800 000 $800 000 $
AD, AG
RFA - 1
2 500 000 $2 500 000 $
C, AG
M-NTC
UFA - 2
925 000 $925 000 $ (Bonis de performance850 000 $$850K)
C
RFA - 1
1 100 000 $1 100 000 $
AD
UFA - 2
775 000 $775 000 $
AD, AG
RFA - 1
Défenseur gaucherDéfenseur droitierGardien de but
2 333 333 $2 333 333 $
DG/DD
RFA - 1
2 600 000 $2 600 000 $
DD
RFA - 2
Logo de Devils du New Jersey
3 400 000 $3 400 000 $
G
UFA - 2
9 583 333 $9 583 333 $
DG
NMC
UFA - 5
6 250 000 $6 250 000 $
DD
NTC
UFA - 8
1 050 000 $1 050 000 $
G
RFA - 2
825 000 $825 000 $
DG/DD
UFA - 1
4 000 000 $4 000 000 $
DD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
Laissés de côtéListe des blessés (IR)Liste des blessés à long terme (LTIR)
8 700 000 $8 700 000 $
C, AD, AG
M-NTC
UFA - 3

Code d'intégration

• Pour afficher cette équipe sur un autre site Web ou blog, ajoutez ce iFrame à la page appropriée
  • Personnalisez les dimensions dans le code IFrame ci-dessous pour adapter votre site de manière appropriée. Minimum recommandé: 400px.

Texte intégré

Cliquer pour surligner
26 févr. à 17 h 31
Rejoint: juill. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 9,433
If I’m the Canucks I’m pushing super hard for either Fantilli (I know he’s a pipe dream) or Jiricek to be included. But this is a strong offer

Also haven’t been following Columbus much this year but what’s up with Johnson’s production this year? Just a sophomore slump? Or something to do with coaching?
theleano1, squashmaple, benjgc and 2 others a aimé ceci.
26 févr. à 17 h 33
Rejoint: mai 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 203
Why on earth would he want to sign in Columbus?

That being said, Jiricek would be the starting point on any deal.
theleano1 a aimé ceci.
26 févr. à 17 h 35
Future Norris guy
Rejoint: août 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 8,625
laugh If Elias Pettersson doesn't re-sign with Vancouver, Than why in the hell would he go to one of the most mismanaged teams in all of hockey. And that offer doesn't get him.
theleano1, athrin et BUFF742 a aimé ceci.
26 févr. à 17 h 35
Rejoint: mai 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 7,382
Peeke is a pure cap dump and wouldn't make the leafs roster
BUFF742 a aimé ceci.
26 févr. à 17 h 35
PDG over PDO
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 4,107
We'd need Fantilli coming back, and it would have to be a off-season deal
26 févr. à 17 h 44
Démarrer sujet
Rejoint: févr. 2024
Mentions "j'aime": 117
Modifié 26 févr. à 17 h 51
Quoting: DFinn91
Why on earth would he want to sign in Columbus?

That being said, Jiricek would be the starting point on any deal.

I don't even know why he'd want to leave Vancouver, so I'll just say tax reasons.

In all seriousness, Columbus have the potential to be very good in the coming years. That would basically be the reason. But as I said, I don't even understand why he'd want to leave Vancouver in the first place. I'm just throwing an offer out there. I think Columbus can offer one of the strongest offers that Vancouver are going to get.

Jiricek is off-limits.
benjgc et CaseyFlyman a aimé ceci.
26 févr. à 17 h 49
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: mv21227
If I’m the Canucks I’m pushing super hard for either Fantilli (I know he’s a pipe dream) or Jiricek to be included. But this is a strong offer

Also haven’t been following Columbus much this year but what’s up with Johnson’s production this year? Just a sophomore slump? Or something to do with coaching?

Yeah, Fantilli and Jiricek are not going to happen, though of course the Canucks should try.

A bit of a sophomore slump in combination with limited ice time and the coach wanting him to work more on the physical/defensive part of his game, I'd say. Other CBJ fans can fill in.

Quoting: MoSeider53
laugh If Elias Pettersson doesn't re-sign with Vancouver, Than why in the hell would he go to one of the most mismanaged teams in all of hockey. And that offer doesn't get him.

I don't think the Canucks are getting a much better offer. It's something like this or losing him to free agency. Consider it a starting point.
CaseyFlyman a aimé ceci.
26 févr. à 17 h 54
not a he )
Rejoint: avr. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 4,437
Columbus can put together arguably the strongest offer you’d get even without Fantilli or Jiricek because the unprotected 24 first and KJ would be the basis, plus pretty much whatever else you’d want (I’d take Voronkov off the table but seriously, anything but those three guys). And if it happened in the off-season, you don’t even have to take cap back because Columbus has a ton of space, which other candidates can’t offer.

The best place for him is Vancouver. It’s basically a negative chance he (or his agent) would consider signing in Columbus, so this is very moot.
CertifiedAverage, Viqsi, Indy and 2 others a aimé ceci.
26 févr. à 17 h 54
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: theleano1
it would have to be a off-season deal

I was just too lazy to make it for the 2024-25, because I'd just feel obliged to do contract re-signings then. So yes, it's meant to be an off-season deal.
26 févr. à 18 h 7
Rejoint: juill. 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 137
Other than CBJ, what team says yes?
26 févr. à 18 h 11
Nah.
Rejoint: sept. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 4,386
Welcome to CapFriendly 🤙
26 févr. à 18 h 26
Rejoint: janv. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 1,026
I imagine Vancouver would have a number of better offers on the table if they made Pettersson available.
athrin a aimé ceci.
26 févr. à 18 h 48
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: dopplsan
Welcome to CapFriendly 🤙

Thank you!

Quoting: Burnout
I imagine Vancouver would have a number of better offers on the table if they made Pettersson available.

If you say so. For what it's worth, I'd be willing to add complementary pieces, but this is the basis of the deal.
26 févr. à 18 h 59
we miss leo k
Rejoint: févr. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 5,124
-CBJ has a nice roster of prospects they could deal from to make this work - there's a lot of U23 guys I feel like you could build a solid package out of (Ceulemans, Mateychuk, Johnson, Sillinger, Knazko, Luca DBB, Jordan Dumais, Gavin Brindley) without touching Fantilli or Jiricek - and for everyone saying Pettersson wouldn't sign there, well, how many of you had Columbus as Johnny Gadreau's destination a couple summers back?

-Both the Peeke and Roslovic trades are a little big on the return - I think the Jackets have to retain fully on both guys to get near that type of value.

-Devils pass this trade, I think - do you really think the upgrade from Vanecek (.890, 3.18 GAA -11.2 GSAx) to Elvis (.902, 3.29, 0.1 GSAx) is worth that kind of prospect haul? I think the Devils can get back to league-average goaltending without having to give up a 1st if they really wanted to make the move.
26 févr. à 19 h 11
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: dannibalcorpse
-CBJ has a nice roster of prospects they could deal from to make this work - there's a lot of U23 guys I feel like you could build a solid package out of (Ceulemans, Mateychuk, Johnson, Sillinger, Knazko, Luca DBB, Jordan Dumais, Gavin Brindley) without touching Fantilli or Jiricek - and for everyone saying Pettersson wouldn't sign there, well, how many of you had Columbus as Johnny Gadreau's destination a couple summers back?

-Both the Peeke and Roslovic trades are a little big on the return - I think the Jackets have to retain fully on both guys to get near that type of value.

-Devils pass this trade, I think - do you really think the upgrade from Vanecek (.890, 3.18 GAA -11.2 GSAx) to Elvis (.902, 3.29, 0.1 GSAx) is worth that kind of prospect haul? I think the Devils can get back to league-average goaltending without having to give up a 1st if they really wanted to make the move.

Yes, this is basically an opening offer. Complimentary pieces can be added.

I modified the Peeke and Roslovic trades. I think CBJ would retain on Roslovic but not on Peeke. Peeke is basically a cap dump.

The Devils trade was based on this:
https://www.capfriendly.com/forums/thread/806181
It's meant to be a TDL deal, so I could see the Devils paying a fair amount for decent goaltending. I'd add some later round picks from CBJ for the NJ 1st rounder.
dannibalcorpse a aimé ceci.
26 févr. à 19 h 58
Quoting: CertifiedAverage
Thank you!

If you say so. For what it's worth, I'd be willing to add complementary pieces, but this is the basis of the deal.

Teams like Anaheim, Chicago, Arizona, Buffalo and Montreal could/would likely beat that basis of the deal. Columbus could too and if Pettersson was available demand would likely be too high for them to compete with that offer.

I also don't see New Jersey moving a first + for Merzlikins if Markstrom or Saros is available and I doubt Roslovic goes for quite that much either, especially from Carolina who historically don't like paying for rentals.
26 févr. à 20 h 14
Indy
Rejoint: nov. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 293
Modifié 26 févr. à 20 h 19

Here's the problem...what other team has the Cap room to pull off the offer he wants right now? Of the 4 you listed Columbus has the best tax burden and has a very strong prospect pool. If he wants paid Columbus isn't as bad as people make it out to be its not some cow pasture.
26 févr. à 20 h 17
Indy
Rejoint: nov. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 293
Quoting: squashmaple
Columbus can put together arguably the strongest offer you’d get even without Fantilli or Jiricek because the unprotected 24 first and KJ would be the basis, plus pretty much whatever else you’d want (I’d take Voronkov off the table but seriously, anything but those three guys). And if it happened in the off-season, you don’t even have to take cap back because Columbus has a ton of space, which other candidates can’t offer.

The best place for him is Vancouver. It’s basically a negative chance he (or his agent) would consider signing in Columbus, so this is very moot.

Looking at both sides involved this is just theater and a giant game of chicken. EP very well could get that 11mil paycheck but Vancouver wants to keep a viable team. Right now vancouver is starting to look very 2016-2019 CBJ and we all know how that ended.
squashmaple a aimé ceci.
27 févr. à 1 h 50
Démarrer sujet
Modifié 27 févr. à 4 h 4
Teams like Anaheim, Chicago, Arizona, Buffalo and Montreal could/would likely beat that basis of the deal. Columbus could too and if Pettersson was available demand would likely be too high for them to compete with that offer.

I also don't see New Jersey moving a first + for Merzlikins if Markstrom or Saros is available and I doubt Roslovic goes for quite that much either, especially from Carolina who historically don't like paying for rentals.

In general, I think the Canucks would prefer young players that can make an impact next year or, at the most, the one after that.

This deal gives them a high potential player that's coming into the NHL in 2024 or 2025, Johnson who should break through any season now, an experienced D in Provorov and a D prospect in Ceulemans. I think Columbus would make this trade if they had the opportunity.

Anaheim could, yes, but they don't have the same immediate playoff aspirations that Columbus do. They also have two young potential top two centres in MacTavish and Carlsson.

Chicago and Montréal have worse prospect pools than Columbus. They could maybe offer more picks, but I don't think that's what Vancouver would be looking for. Montréal could offer Suzuki or Caufield, true enough, but firstly would they do so and secondly do they have enough complementary pieces to make the Canucks accept such a deal? I personally don't think so, not unless they win the draft lottery. That's why I don't see them making a better offer. But I would be intrigued to see a better basis for a trade proposal from a Canadiens fan. Also, if the taxes in Canada would be the reason for Pettersson leaving, he would not re-sign in Montréal, which should decimate their interest.

Arizona would have to make a deal centred around Keller. Could they? Yes. Would they? I don't know.

Buffalo would probably have to include Power, Thompson or someone like that. Would they do that? I think not.

In conclusion, I think the ceiling for what Columbus would be willing to give Vancouver is higher than what those teams would.

This, in combination with Columbus' high amount of cap space, gives this deal a slightly higher theoretical probability of turning into something, in my opinion. But I'm probably biased as a CBJ fan.

See my previous comments regarding the Merzlikins trade. The Roslovic and Peeke trades can basically be to any TDL buyer.
27 févr. à 10 h 52
Quoting: Indy
Here's the problem...what other team has the Cap room to pull off the offer he wants right now? Of the 4 you listed Columbus has the best tax burden and has a very strong prospect pool. If he wants paid Columbus isn't as bad as people make it out to be its not some cow pasture.

Tax burden is irrelevant to Vancouver in a trade and each of those teams can offer what he wants. Its not that Columbus is bad, its that they aren't the only option.

Quoting: CertifiedAverage
In general, I think the Canucks would prefer young players that can make an impact next year or, at the most, the one after that.

This deal gives them a high potential player that's coming into the NHL in 2024 or 2025, Johnson who should break through any season now, an experienced D in Provorov and a D prospect in Ceulemans. I think Columbus would make this trade if they had the opportunity.

Anaheim could, yes, but they don't have the same immediate playoff aspirations that Columbus do. They also have two young potential top two centres in MacTavish and Carlsson.

Chicago and Montréal have worse prospect pools than Columbus. They could maybe offer more picks, but I don't think that's what Vancouver would be looking for. Montréal could offer Suzuki or Caufield, true enough, but firstly would they do so and secondly do they have enough complementary pieces to make the Canucks accept such a deal? I personally don't think so, not unless they win the draft lottery. That's why I don't see them making a better offer. But I would be intrigued to see a better basis for a trade proposal from a Canadiens fan. Also, if the taxes in Canada would be the reason for Pettersson leaving, he would not re-sign in Montréal, which should decimate their interest.

Arizona would have to make a deal centred around Keller. Could they? Yes. Would they? I don't know.

Buffalo would probably have to include Power, Thompson or someone like that. Would they do that? I think not.

In conclusion, I think the ceiling for what Columbus would be willing to give Vancouver is higher than what those teams would.

This, in combination with Columbus' high amount of cap space, gives this deal a slightly higher theoretical probability of turning into something, in my opinion. But I'm probably biased as a CBJ fan.

See my previous comments regarding the Merzlikins trade. The Roslovic and Peeke trades can basically be to any TDL buyer.

If all your willing to give is a 1st, a young recent draft pick who has struggled in the NHL, a young prospect that hasn't looked great being drafted and a veteran D-man, then every one of those teams can beat that proposal.

The difference between Columbus' prospect pool and teams like Anaheim, Chicago, Montreal, Arizona and Buffalo is not what you seem to think. Even putting aside the Ducks, each of those teams has the prospect/young NHLer/pick depth with available veterans to beat that offer. Your overrating the pieces you're offering here. Especially if you're putting names like Suzuki, Caufield, Keller and Power from other teams up. Your not offering Fantilli, Jiricek, Sillinger or Voronkov here. Hell, your not even offering Mateychuk or Brindley.

Everyone is biased in favour of other teams, but I don't think your familiar with the depth and quality of what other teams have.
27 févr. à 11 h 5
Rejoint: janv. 2024
Mentions "j'aime": 244
so if we offer sheet elias, vancouver gets four of our next 5 first round picks and it's whichever four are available first. so you're getting this year's high lotto pick for sure. but then you gotta do some math on how much worse the picks down the line will get with fantilli healthy and developing and petey on the roster. kent was a 5th overall with a ton of potential, so he's probably worth more than our 2025 first would be. provorov is worth a mid-first pick. and ceulemans is a late first and the weakest part of the package. svozil looks more ready than ceulemans and so maybe they ask for him instead.

so basically the offer for elias here is no different than what they would get if we just offer sheeted him. and that's not gonna get it done. if they're making a deal rather than letting him go to RFA, they're gonna want more than the equivalent to the draft comp.
27 févr. à 11 h 8
I Love J Boqvist
Rejoint: janv. 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 3,189
Quoting: JacketsComrade
so if we offer sheet elias, vancouver gets four of our next 5 first round picks and it's whichever four are available first. so you're getting this year's high lotto pick for sure. but then you gotta do some math on how much worse the picks down the line will get with fantilli healthy and developing and petey on the roster. kent was a 5th overall with a ton of potential, so he's probably worth more than our 2025 first would be. provorov is worth a mid-first pick. and ceulemans is a late first and the weakest part of the package. svozil looks more ready than ceulemans and so maybe they ask for him instead.

so basically the offer for elias here is no different than what they would get if we just offer sheeted him. and that's not gonna get it done. if they're making a deal rather than letting him go to RFA, they're gonna want more than the equivalent to the draft comp.

An offseason offersheet would start at the 2025 1st, not 2024. The 2024 1st isn't in play for offer sheets
JacketsComrade a aimé ceci.
27 févr. à 11 h 9
Rejoint: janv. 2024
Mentions "j'aime": 244
Quoting: dgibb10
An offseason offersheet would start at the 2025 1st, not 2024. The 2024 1st isn't in play for offer sheets

oh **** ur right thank you offer sheet date is july 1

okay that being said this offer here definitely beats the draft comp VAN would get.
27 févr. à 12 h 52
Démarrer sujet
Modifié 28 févr. à 1 h 31
Tax burden is irrelevant to Vancouver in a trade and each of those teams can offer what he wants. Its not that Columbus is bad, its that they aren't the only option.

If all your willing to give is a 1st, a young recent draft pick who has struggled in the NHL, a young prospect that hasn't looked great being drafted and a veteran D-man, then every one of those teams can beat that proposal.

The difference between Columbus' prospect pool and teams like Anaheim, Chicago, Montreal, Arizona and Buffalo is not what you seem to think. Even putting aside the Ducks, each of those teams has the prospect/young NHLer/pick depth with available veterans to beat that offer. Your overrating the pieces you're offering here. Especially if you're putting names like Suzuki, Caufield, Keller and Power from other teams up. Your not offering Fantilli, Jiricek, Sillinger or Voronkov here. Hell, your not even offering Mateychuk or Brindley.

Everyone is biased in favour of other teams, but I don't think your familiar with the depth and quality of what other teams have.

I've already said that this is an opening offer, not "all I'm willing to give." Columbus could add more if need be, in my opinion. Ultimately this is all based on the scenario that Vancouver basically have to trade Pettersson. Then it's not going to cut it for them to wait for some ideal value, it's going to be the highest bidder that gets him. I'd be happy to see an offer that those teams would be willing and able to give that would be better than this and see if Columbus could add something to bid over them. So please share one if you have any specific ones in mind. smile

Oh, and yes, tax reasons will be irrelevant for Vancouver. But if that's the reason that he would want out, it's not irrelevant for Montréal. Or Ottawa, who could also be in the mix.

I will freely admit to my phrasing regarding the relative quality of the other teams' prospect pools and potential offers being clumsy. But my basic point stands. Columbus' prospect pool is generally considered to be of a very high quality and I believe they could put it to good use in a bidding war for Pettersson. A team like Buffalo could of course offer a lot, if they so desired. They have a lot of good young players. But as I said, this is meant to be a starting bid and as such, I think it's pretty damn strong.
27 févr. à 12 h 54
Démarrer sujet

I'd have no problem with replacing Ceulemans with Svozil if that's what it took.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage