SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Toronto Maple Leafs signed William Nylander (8 Years / $11,500,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
Le graphique a été masqué

Options de sondage

8 janv. à 20 h 34
14m in dead cap
Rejoint: mars 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 3,064
Quoting: tkecanuck341
Voted yes. Not because it's a good contract but because all the stupid trade proposals will stop.

You wish. Now we get the flood of ACGMs of teams trading good players to Toronto 50% retained to help them out of the mess their cap will be. lol
Hammerwise a aimé ceci.
8 janv. à 21 h 50
McMann Season
Rejoint: mars 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 941
Quoting: JayTea
You wish. Now we get the flood of ACGMs of teams trading good players to Toronto 50% retained to help them out of the mess their cap will be. lol

Nah, I'm happy Willy is staying
9 janv. à 1 h 11
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 855
Quoting: Random2152

GDVC7IAWgAI_jSc?format=jpg&name=small

Does this take into account expected cap increase? The NHL's hockey related revenue was over $6 billion last year and expected to be $6.2 billion this season. The salary cap should be close to $100 million, except according to the CBA it can't grow by more than 5% per year. It's going to grow at the max every year for the next four years, just to catch up to where it should be now. If the cap does hit $100 million before this contract ends, then its value will rise with inflation.
9 janv. à 1 h 27
Mentions "j'aime": 2,627
Quoting: Danny12357
This is pretty bang on. This contract is far better than losing Nylander for nothing, and if you were trying to win this player over to your team, you sign it in a heartbeat.

The big L here for BT is that he allowed it to get to this point. There was a lot of risk of this happening, and it was obviously there. Expectations changed the second the NHL announced a cap increase for next season, and throw in Nylander's point streak and another year where he just plain looks better than the year prior (which has been Nylander's trajectory) and you basically have a GM that lit $1.5M in cap space on fire trying to save $500K. That's a terrible bet.

Reality is, when the Leafs ask was just under $9M and Nylander was at $10M, they should have realized there was more for Nylander to gain than the Leafs, and should have hammered away at it until a deal was done in the offseason. You could have just caved and gave him $10M and that would have been a win in hindsight.

BT's decision making has been mostly very poor with Toronto, but I think it's Shanahan that really should be feeling the heat. Forget about what people think of Dubas, but how does a president of hockey operations go from offering an extension to Dubas to firing him over a 48 hour period with no backup plan in place? What other organization would fire their GM in the middle of their competitive window? I mean I get the lack of playoff wins, but still, no other team would fire a GM of a team that has the record that the Leafs had over the last 5 seasons, especially going into an absolutely critical 24 month window where every star forward will need a new contract.

If this Leafs core ever wins, it's now going to be in spite of management, not assisted by it.

This post is the most balanced and fair in all things that got pointed out.

That last point by you may sting the most because the fanbase deserves better.
Hammerwise et RawDeal a aimé ceci.
9 janv. à 4 h 22
Just Keep Swimming
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 5,595
Quoting: CSStrowbridge
Does this take into account expected cap increase? The NHL's hockey related revenue was over $6 billion last year and expected to be $6.2 billion this season. The salary cap should be close to $100 million, except according to the CBA it can't grow by more than 5% per year. It's going to grow at the max every year for the next four years, just to catch up to where it should be now. If the cap does hit $100 million before this contract ends, then its value will rise with inflation.

3.5% average annual cap increase. If it maxes out contract value equals 11.5 on the nose
9 janv. à 5 h 24
Rejoint: août 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 2,228
Good deal for him, I think the cap hit and length is in line with his production and in relation to his contemporaries on his own team.

Bad deal for Toronto. They really have given the market value to their top forwards (no hometown discount) and waited too long to actually have any other viable options but to resign at market value. I think we've seen that the 4 headed/half the cap approach on FOUR FORWARDS has not worked. ANd because they've tied their ship to this venture, they ae constantly stuck in this wash, rinse, repeat cycle of bargain basement depth/trading futures for temporary fixes/UFAs/and poor evaulation or lack of importance on goaltending.

I guess I'd have more faith in the leafs if I had any belief that they actually recognize the faults/weaknesses and werent just interested in regular season offense. Say for example, Woll turns out to be the ONE, but similar to Murray, Samsonov, Mrazek, Jones we cant ignore that those players came to us for specific reasons (injuries, historical meltdowns, etc...) and didnt last.

Its also this path that has led to a near league bottom prospect pool, lack of picks over the next 3 yrs, (which will get worse at this TDL) and overly reliant still on annual bargain shopping or flawed UFAs.
RawDeal et SlavaDark a aimé ceci.
9 janv. à 6 h 30
Mentions "j'aime": 22
Quoting: Leafsfan98
Toronto doesn't need another goalie, Woll and Hildeby are most likely the future

Yeah, but u still need to pay them 5M+ once they current contracts expire if they are starter material or great goalies 7M+ and u probably cant ask them to take pay cut either. But i agree Woll and Hildeby might be your future goalie tandem, and Toronto has still this season time to see how Woll play and do decision in summer if they want or not want take Gibson or some other goalie. Now Goalie markets are hotter than ever and teams have to pay huge overcharge, so if Toronto stay out of that game, that might turn win for them.
9 janv. à 8 h 0
Leafs going to Leafs
Rejoint: déc. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 2,948
Quoting: Tonir87
Yeah, but u still need to pay them 5M+ once they current contracts expire if they are starter material or great goalies 7M+ and u probably cant ask them to take pay cut either. But i agree Woll and Hildeby might be your future goalie tandem, and Toronto has still this season time to see how Woll play and do decision in summer if they want or not want take Gibson or some other goalie. Now Goalie markets are hotter than ever and teams have to pay huge overcharge, so if Toronto stay out of that game, that might turn win for them.

All of this future contract goalie talk will happen in 25-26 and 26-27 when they become RFAs
9 janv. à 9 h 17
14m in dead cap
Mentions "j'aime": 3,064
Quoting: CameronSquires
Nah, I'm happy Willy is staying

I'm not sure how you being happy he's staying disproves my statement we'll see a ton of ACGMs of Leaf fans proposing trades to send good players to the Leafs at 50%. They clearly can both be true..
9 janv. à 9 h 47
Rejoint: mai 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 4,566
Assuming CF projection for next year cap is correct, the Leafs right now have 62% of their cap committed to their big 4 forwards & Reilly for next season.
9 janv. à 10 h 13
Rejoint: avr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 454
This is the leafs making a decision, marner either takes 11.5-12 or walks also tavares will be taking 4mill or lower. if you really want to play here now is the time to prove it.
9 janv. à 11 h 41
NHL Insider
Rejoint: août 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 711
Quoting: Ritzy
Setting the over/under on pages this post will have at 15.

I'm sure it will be cordial.

Quoting: Ritzy
Setting the over/under on pages this post will have at 15.

I'm sure it will be cordial.

Way under bud
9 janv. à 13 h 52
crying Kovi
Mentions "j'aime": 0
Toronto: Tavares (11M x 7y)
Brad Treliving: Huberdeau (10,5M x 8y)
Toronto & Brad Treliving: Nylander (11,5 x 8y)

I'm not surprised..

P.S. Somewhere in the west... a tall Swedish forward laughed
9 janv. à 14 h 2
McMann Season
Rejoint: mars 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 941
Quoting: JayTea
I'm not sure how you being happy he's staying disproves my statement we'll see a ton of ACGMs of Leaf fans proposing trades to send good players to the Leafs at 50%. They clearly can both be true..

Oh yeah no I’m not saying you are wrong, I’m just saying I won’t be one of them lol
JayTea a aimé ceci.
9 janv. à 16 h 42
Rejoint: déc. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 679
*Sigh*
It's a fair value contract. But the Leafs could have had a superb below market contract in the summer if Shanahan wasn't so ridiculously stubborn. I think it's obvious by now that he's the one stretching the negotiations, considering the pattern is the same with all three GMs that have worked under him.
trademaster20 a aimé ceci.
9 janv. à 21 h 14
Rejoint: mai 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 44
Seems that Toronto is under the impression that the cap will be at least $100 million next year.
9 janv. à 21 h 30
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Rejoint: juill. 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 22,691
Quoting: SoFlaSooner
Seems that Toronto is under the impression that the cap will be at least $100 million next year.

Really??? Leafs have lots of expiring contracts in the next two season. "Lots" of cap available. Most teams are top heavy, and some teams are at the cap and don't even make the playoffs. We do people think the Leafs are unique?
9 janv. à 21 h 36
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Rejoint: juill. 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 22,691
Quoting: weirfanno1
The Toronto overpayment...

Yikes. Top heavy and guys that can play in net or in front of the goalies in there own end. What a mess the Leafs are.

Really, check the standings....Check the last four games....four wins, three goals allowed.
9 janv. à 22 h 8
Rejoint: févr. 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 108
Quoting: Devil
All that to lose in the round

Lose in the round
10 janv. à 9 h 54
Rejoint: août 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 13
Quoting: palhal
Really??? How about the the teams that spend to the cap (or nearly to it) that don't even make the playoffs.
Leafs have managed their cap somewhat differently in the past few year than most team, but doesn't mean they have mismanaged their cap worse than most other teams.
For example the Oilers have 30,6m tied in three players where has it got them.

Toronto has one, one playoff round win in the last how many years. Edmonton has. Checks my facts, last 2 years Conference Semi-Finals and Conference Finals. So they use less money than Toronto on their top3 players and better success...
10 janv. à 10 h 29
Leafs going to Leafs
Rejoint: déc. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 2,948
Quoting: drizzt
Toronto has one, one playoff round win in the last how many years. Edmonton has. Checks my facts, last 2 years Conference Semi-Finals and Conference Finals. So they use less money than Toronto on their top3 players and better success...

They haven't though... Edmonton's ratio of lotteries won to playoff series wins is the exact same to Toronto's despite playing in a much weaker conference...
10 janv. à 11 h 31
Hockey/Caps fan
Rejoint: sept. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 148
I guess this contract woke Marner up, 2G + 2A last night...
10 janv. à 11 h 51
Rejoint: août 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 13
Quoting: Saskleaf
Surprisingly it’s not as bad as you’d think. Nylanders raise is more or less covered by the rising cap. But that doesn’t change the fact that it’s an overpay.

They have been ****ed by the cap the last 2years. Now they will be ****ed the next 5+. So great deal...
10 janv. à 13 h 11
Go leafs go
Rejoint: avr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 9,193
Quoting: drizzt
They have been ****ed by the cap the last 2years. Now they will be ****ed the next 5+. So great deal...

I mean not really, they’ve been able to get out of it find the past few years. And the future should be fine. This next year is the only somewhat tough year and even it’s fine.
10 janv. à 13 h 44
Rejoint: juill. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 246
Quoting: Brad_Treliving
No blame on Tre for this terrible contract. If calculator boy Dubas set the culture straight in Toronto, there will be discounts. Started by overpaying on both Marner and Tavares, the others followed suit. Ultimately, glad Nylander is here for 8 years

Tre was in a lose-lose situation. Either let Nylander walk, get minimal value in a trade, or overpay him

This is a bad take, and not backed up by evidence.

Dubas signed Willy to a $7M contract where he averaged 33G - & 77Pts per 82 Games so far over the life of that contract. Likely finishes that deal ahead of that pace. Excellent value.

Marner signed for $10.9M, average 32G & 98 pts per 82GP so far over the life of that contract, again excellent value.

Matthews signed for 11.6M and average an ridiculous 59 goals & 103pts per 82GP over that contract, and seems intent on pushing that higher again this year. Excellent value.

Treliving is the one of the two GMs with a penchant for signing bad deals to players near and entering their 30's, so I don't really get how this contract is somehow Dubas mess, given that the track record of the two GMs would indicate which of them has been better at managing the cap, and it's clearly Dubas, as BT's track record in that regard speaks for itself.
palhal a aimé ceci.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Chargement de l'animation
Soumettre les modifications du sondage