SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Toronto Maple Leafs signed Auston Matthews (4 Years / $13,250,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
Le graphique a été masqué

Options de sondage

24 août 2023 à 4 h 42
Luguber
Rejoint: juin 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 415
Quoting: aadoyle
For those who say Matthews does not deserve to be the highest paid player should go look at the numbers

He is ahead of Ovie in Goals per games played and nobody else comes close to those two rn not even McDavid and he has only been in the NHL for 7 years

Matthews lead the league in blocked shots last season

He is getting better defensively and soon we may see him PK

No doubt we may see a few more 50-60 goal seasons in him

Money is fine as if he went to open market could have potentially earned more

What are you talking about led the league in blocked shots? According to Moneypuck he was 123rd last season in total blocked shots, and 297th in blocked shots/60.
M_Swann, A_Habs_fan, drambui and 2 others a aimé ceci.
24 août 2023 à 6 h 5
Rejoint: juin 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 719
Quoting: Luguber
What are you talking about led the league in blocked shots? According to Moneypuck he was 123rd last season in total blocked shots, and 297th in blocked shots/60.

Lol ya. I read his post and I was like ?!?!? Made me doubt the rest if his 'stats'.
V123 a aimé ceci.
24 août 2023 à 7 h 52
Rejoint: avr. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 176
No. You can't build out a proper roster with contracts like this. This isn't basketball. Hockey is a team game. The stars play 1/3 of the game at most.
24 août 2023 à 9 h 4
wheelchair briere
Rejoint: juin 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 117
No one in this league should make more than Connor McDavid. He is the standard. The BEST player in the league.

If Matthews gets over $13 million AAV, McDavid's next contract should be over $17 million AAV.

The only positive from Toronto's perspective is you have Matthews locked up for the next 5 years.
Kirja a aimé ceci.
24 août 2023 à 9 h 9
Still a Leafs Fan
Rejoint: nov. 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 661
hES GoiNG To arIZOnA

CLOWNNNNNSSSSSSSSSS
24 août 2023 à 9 h 49
Rejoint: févr. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 769
Why do the Leafs need to shore up the blue line when last season they were tied for 7th in XGA at 2.68? with only NYI, NYR, Dallas, Carolina and Boston being better.

This is just silly lul

If any team let a guy like this go to fix their blue line when they do not need it GM would be fired

Ironically Leafs will have the most cap of any competitor next season even with this extension

Why? Cuz they only won one playoff series... I mean BUF beat them all the way back

Are u saying TO doesnt nees to change?

I guess first round exits can be fun...
retro et V123 a aimé ceci.
24 août 2023 à 10 h 8
Holly Knows Best
Rejoint: juill. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 33
Auston Matthews' 8-year ask in 2019 was Connor McDavid's contract, which was 16.67% of the Cap at the time.
When Matthews' extended,that would have been an 8 year deal at $13.8M AAV, totalling $110.4M. Instead the team was able to lock him up for 5 years at $11.6m
With yesterday’s 4 year extension at $13.25, under the two contracts, Matthews will play for the Leafs for 9 years, totalling $111.2M
This means that the Leafs gave Matthews' his ask, and got a 9th year for $800k, while cap is expected to begin rising next summer.
24 août 2023 à 10 h 15
wheelchair briere
Rejoint: juin 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 117
Quoting: MadLin27
W.
5 more years of Auston.
Reasonable cap hit too

Reasonable?

Hahahahaha

I hate your picture too.
24 août 2023 à 10 h 25
Respect Mike Grier
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 2,597

he had the most blocked shots by a forward, he worded it wrong but he isn't completely wrong.
24 août 2023 à 10 h 31
couldnt afford 2nd t
Rejoint: sept. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 431
McDavid signed a contract that was half-RFA years. He also arguably took a discount, since he probably could have negotiated max as an RFA after his ELC.

This is entirely a UFA contract. It also doesn't buy up any seasons in Matthews 30s, so it's all prime years.

The other thing to consider is that he was already signed for almost 12M. In terms of the cap structure of the Leafs, a less than 2M raise doesn't change anything. Especially since the cap has gone up since Matthews signed that original contract. It's the status quo.
RawDeal a aimé ceci.
24 août 2023 à 10 h 38
Rejoint: juin 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 6
Now looks Pastrnak contract like Bargain. Toronto with contracts like that never win the cup.
V123 a aimé ceci.
24 août 2023 à 11 h 9
Mentions "j'aime": 588
Quoting: Manson
Not better than McDavid.

Bad deal.

to be fair that mcdavid contract was an underpay since the day he signed it
24 août 2023 à 11 h 12
Mentions "j'aime": 588
Quoting: Svechy37
I would've liked it at 13 or under but that's about what I expected for him. If he stays close to 100 points or 50 goals then great contract, sucks that he still gets only 4 years. At least he's staying I guess. Matthews has to step it up this season though.

if he doesn't hit 50 goals and 100 points this year then this contract is so meh
24 août 2023 à 12 h 4
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 20,979
Quoting: worldwidesensei
Why? Cuz they only won one playoff series... I mean BUF beat them all the way back

Are u saying TO doesnt nees to change?

I guess first round exits can be fun...

You dont seem to get it so will explain it to you slowly

Through the addition of Dean Chynoweth who was in charge of Carolina's defense Toronto's defense went from bottom of the league to almost top 5 and this was with Holl on their team. He got them committed to team defense and through that it helped them win a round.

If anything should see the same results if not better.

Playoff performances have nothing to do with it get your head out of the gutter
24 août 2023 à 12 h 12
Evans truther
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 1,434
Goodbye Nylander.
24 août 2023 à 12 h 14
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Wilson_W_Wilson_Jr
No one in this league should make more than Connor McDavid. He is the standard. The BEST player in the league.

If Matthews gets over $13 million AAV, McDavid's next contract should be over $17 million AAV.

The only positive from Toronto's perspective is you have Matthews locked up for the next 5 years.

Matthews had the highest goals per game of any NHL player in the modern era

To compare

Matthews rn ranks 6th at 0.622 and he has

McDavid is 18th at 0.533

With the only guy coming close is Ovie 0.61

Matthews also lead the league in blocked shots last year and occasionally was not afraid to lay the body out just ask McDavid lul.

He earned that 13.25m
24 août 2023 à 12 h 17
Rejoint: mai 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 6,733
I'm just gonna say what a lot of ppl who probably voted no are thinking. I don't like when players already making generational wealth, act like they need to be pushing for that little extra more generational wealth as if that's similar to the former 1M guy taking the 3M legacy deal opposed to the team friendly one.

Honestly, I'm not even that mad at the 4 years thing.

The writing was there for Matthew to slightly redeem his perceived ego and play the little game all the top guys in the NHL are doing and take the 12.7M contract. Which would have given him exactly what he was he is after. Then after the 4 years he could reevaluate knowing McDavid's new number and adjust to that again. Boom, everyone is happy.

I know, we're talking about 600K diff right but he could have accomplished exactly what he really wanted (The clout of being the highest paid player), endeared himself a little to the fan base and set a good precedent for his teammates future contracts. Instead he just had to do the thing that we all hate.

He's a great player and frankly keeping him at this high cap for 4 more years still beats out losing him for nothing in free agency but I think he missed out on an perfect opportunity to kick the "selfish entitlement" tag to the curb a little and chose not to, while still making it seem like "I'm taking a discount, guys".
M_Swann a aimé ceci.
24 août 2023 à 12 h 19
Hakuna Matata

Last season Matthews lead the league in blocked shots for forwards last season. Martinez lead for defense

https://www.statmuse.com/nhl/ask?q=nhl+blocked+shot+leaders+forwards+2022-2023

Did not read my post well did yah as I never said all time lul
24 août 2023 à 12 h 23
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: ARMCHAIRGMOFTHEYEAR
he had the most blocked shots by a forward, he worded it wrong but he isn't completely wrong.

Not really I said he blocked the most shots last season in the NHL

Never said all time shot blocker lul

If I had said Matthews had the most blocked shots in NHL history that would have been worded wrong

Some people seem to not realize NHL separates forward and dman stats so often they make mistakes happens from time to time lul
24 août 2023 à 12 h 25
Rejoint: août 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 16
Quoting: worldwidesensei
As a BUF fan, I love thos deal. We will gladly pay Tage & Cozens combined about the same amount of money.

Leafs had their chance. They blew it. Pun intended.

Wow...I hadn't thought of it like that...so crazy
24 août 2023 à 12 h 32
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 24 août 2023 à 12 h 39
Quoting: F50marco
I'm just gonna say what a lot of ppl who probably voted no are thinking. I don't like when players already making generational wealth, act like they need to be pushing for that little extra more generational wealth as if that's similar to the former 1M guy taking the 3M legacy deal opposed to the team friendly one.

Honestly, I'm not even that mad at the 4 years thing.

The writing was there for Matthew to slightly redeem his perceived ego and play the little game all the top guys in the NHL are doing and take the 12.7M contract. Which would have given him exactly what he was he is after. Then after the 4 years he could reevaluate knowing McDavid's new number and adjust to that again. Boom, everyone is happy.

I know, we're talking about 600K diff right but he could have accomplished exactly what he really wanted (The clout of being the highest paid player), endeared himself a little to the fan base and set a good precedent for his teammates future contracts. Instead he just had to do the thing that we all hate.

He's a great player and frankly keeping him at this high cap for 4 more years still beats out losing him for nothing in free agency but I think he missed out on an perfect opportunity to kick the "selfish entitlement" tag to the curb a little and chose not to, while still making it seem like "I'm taking a discount, guys".

Honestly both players are good in their respected rights

McDavid gets the points, Matthews the goals

To me both should be paid high as one of them had the highest goals per games played for all current NHL players (0.63) while the other leads in points per games played for current NHL players (1.49)

In a sense soon a lot more players gonna get more than McDavid till his next deal

Draisaitl for instance how much he gonna ask for 13m, 14m will fans complain he is making more than McDavid no lul

Its all just silly sometimes. Cause what many do not realize if it wasnt for Covid we would be seeing more players making around the same if not more than McDavid.
24 août 2023 à 12 h 56
Respect Mike Grier
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 2,597
Modifié 24 août 2023 à 13 h 29
would people rather have 2 Brandon Hagels or 1 Auston Matthews?
RawDeal et V123 a aimé ceci.
24 août 2023 à 12 h 58
Rejoint: mars 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 144
Quoting: BCAPP
So is MacKinnon selfish? They signed for essentially the same cap percentage (if 87.5 as expected Matthews is lower). You can say 4 years vs 8 and you'll be right, but flipside is Leafs locked in his core years without committing beyond them. 🤷

i mean yes, mac was also selfish, in the sense that he could've taken a lot less to help the team. mackinnons raise pushed out plenty of other depth talent. like matthews, he's worth it, but the other difference is mackinnon got a cup already while playing for waaaay below market value, matthews hasn't been below market value since his ELC... its easier to accept mackinnon chasing money after getting a cup than matthews doing it before getting a cup, and i realize that is subjective
24 août 2023 à 12 h 58
More Finns More Wins
Rejoint: juill. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 631
Quoting: draft_em_sign_em_trade_em
NO, you remember wrongly, re watch the Cup deciding game, Ovie sat on the bench for the last 10 minutes.

You do realize that NHL shift data is public and it's possible to just look this stuff up? Ovechkin had three shifts in the last 10 minutes of the 2018 Cup clinching game.

Anyways, on the topic of the Matthews contract, the cap percentage is fair for a top 5 player and top 1 goalscorer in the league, and the term doesn't cover any major decline years while also giving Matthews a chance to cash out again when the cap is (hopefully) way up, I think this is a good deal for both sides.
24 août 2023 à 13 h 8
Rejoint: mai 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 6,733
Honestly both players are good in their respected rights

McDavid gets the points, Matthews the goals

To me both should be paid high as one of them had the highest goals per games played for all current NHL players (0.63) while the other leads in points per games played for current NHL players (1.49)

In a sense soon a lot more players gonna get more than McDavid till his next deal

Draisaitl for instance how much he gonna ask for 13m, 14m will fans complain he is making more than McDavid no lul

Its all just silly sometimes

Not sure what points and goals has to do with what I said? I even still made the point that Matthews, at this point in time, SHOULD make more than McDavid. It was how much more that was the issue. Also had nothing to do with ability moreso his perception.

Whose going to make more than McDavid before his next contract? (Other than Draisaitl and Matthews obv) I don't see anyone getting more than what McDavid now or by the time he signs his new one. Bedard will be on his ELC still. Any other guy who is in debate is either a winger who will have a tough time justifying it or simply won't have the stats to back it up (barring having a McDavid-esque 22-23 type season) everyone who could be in contention is either signed long term or is great but not 12.5M great.

Draisaitl still has 2 more years, in the 1 year where he will be signing his new contract while McDavid is in his old one, HE SHOULD be making more than McDavid and no one will bat an eye when it happens. Not only because it unanimously agreed that he has earned it but also because of the amount of time that has passed since McDavid signed his contract.

Just to reiterate, I'm ok with Matthews getting more than McDavid at this juncture in time. Not cause he's better (Cuz he's not) but disappointed that he didn't take the opportunity to show a little added tact in accepting his new generational wealth type contract. 600K despite being a small amount in the grand scheme of things could had a huge impact in his own fane base and others perception of him.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Chargement de l'animation
Soumettre les modifications du sondage