SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Toronto Maple Leafs signed Martin Jones (1 Year / $875,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
Le graphique a été masqué

Options de sondage

9 août 2023 à 17 h 38
Ovchinnikov 137
Rejoint: avr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,982
Literally one of the worst goalies over the past 5 seasons. Erik Kallgren had a grand total of 28 AHL games with 0 NHL experience before he came in. I’d be hard pressed to believe one of Petruzzelli or Hildeby couldn’t come in and give you the same type of goaltending as Jones.

Waste of a SPC and potentially blocking the development of one of the Marlies IF he ends up. Who knows, maybe more moves are coming and TOR keeps him in the main roster.

Needless signing IMO

F3G7gj2X0AYh0Wp?format=jpg&name=large
BCAPP et jbru a aimé ceci.
9 août 2023 à 18 h 20
Amirov Forever
Rejoint: mars 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 6,036
Quoting: Ritzy
Minimal money for a 3rd string goalie, still not sure where BT is coming up with the cap space.

Better not be doing something crazy like leaving Woll in the AHL.

Woll is no longer waiver exempt; he will be a mainstay on the roster. Jones will be waived and will act as the 3rd string. It's insurance in the net, simple as that. This contract is fully buriable
9 août 2023 à 18 h 26
hey look a squirrel
Rejoint: mai 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 3,754
Better than Hutchinson or Elliott IMO.
9 août 2023 à 18 h 36
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: Trickster
Better than Hutchinson or Elliott IMO.

Is it?

His .895 save percentage since the 2018-19 season is 34th among the 34 goalies who have logged at least 150 games in that time, and his .887 save percentage last season — 35th among NHL goalies with a minimum 35 games played is far from stellar.

TOR needed 17 games played outside their Samsonov and Murray tandem last season (16 starts). The year before they needed 18 games outside of Campbell and Mrazek, and in the shortened 2021 season they had 12 games played outside of Andersen and Campbell. If the over/under is around 20 games possible for Jones.

I realize this is nothing to get worked up over but what I hate is TOR always signing depth players instead of trusting the drafted/unsigned prospects they’ve spent time/money on developing.
9 août 2023 à 18 h 44
hey look a squirrel
Quoting: MatthewsFan
Is it?

His .895 save percentage since the 2018-19 season is 34th among the 34 goalies who have logged at least 150 games in that time, and his .887 save percentage last season — 35th among NHL goalies with a minimum 35 games played is far from stellar.

TOR needed 17 games played outside their Samsonov and Murray tandem last season (16 starts). The year before they needed 18 games outside of Campbell and Mrazek, and in the shortened 2021 season they had 12 games played outside of Andersen and Campbell. If the over/under is around 20 games possible for Jones.

I realize this is nothing to get worked up over but what I hate is TOR always signing depth players instead of trusting the drafted/unsigned prospects they’ve spent time/money on developing.

Your not wrong on your stats but could Hutchinson and Elliott even play that much?

I would have tried to Kallgren over Jones but that didn't happen.

All in all, this is a signing in case of X.
Hard to cry foul.
9 août 2023 à 18 h 50
hey look a squirrel
Interesting thing of note, Leafs are one of the few teams with their AHL affiliate in the same city.

Meaning very little travel.
9 août 2023 à 18 h 52
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: Trickster
Your not wrong on your stats but could Hutchinson and Elliott even play that much?

I would have tried to Kallgren over Jones but that didn't happen.

All in all, this is a signing in case of X.
Hard to cry foul.

I definitely would not one anyone of those guys. And if you were happy with Kallgren (who has 0 NHL games played and 28 AHL games under his belt) whose to say one of the Marlies options do the same.

For a team who has no idea who there starting goaltender will be next year, I would have thought giving some opportunities to your own prospects first would have been the better approach.

But who knows, TOR could very well put him on waivers opening night and he gets claimed and this was all for not
9 août 2023 à 19 h 0
Rejoint: nov. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 2,223
The Summer of Treliving continues.

Bertuzzi > Bunting
Domi > Kerfoot
Klingberg > Holl
Reaves > Simmonds
Gambrell > ZAR
Woll > Murray
Jones > Kallgren
9 août 2023 à 19 h 25
Rejoint: mars 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 34
I voted no. because he's quite literally awful at playing goalie. therefore it can't be a "good" signing...
9 août 2023 à 19 h 30
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Rejoint: juill. 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 22,687
He's a the third Marlie goalie. He might be a Leaf in case of injury to Samsonov or Woll. I believe at least one of the two Russian Marlie goalies are back to Russia, Hildeby is a Marlie, but Pettruzzi, would be guys waived if anyone is.

Remember if a player is waived and claimed, he has to go on the claiming teams NHL roster.
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
9 août 2023 à 20 h 38
Leafs going to Leafs
Rejoint: déc. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 2,948
Biggest FA transaction of the decade
9 août 2023 à 20 h 41
Leafs going to Leafs
Rejoint: déc. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 2,948
Quoting: KrakenTheCode
The Kraken definitely got their money's worth out of Jones last year. There weren't high expectations with him but he played quite well over the first half of the season and was part of the reason why Seattle got off to as good of a start as they did. However, his gaudy win totals were a bit misleading, since a number of them had more to do with the Kraken's goalscoring in front of him rather than his play. Sure enough, Jones came crashing back down to earth down the stretch and Grubauer reclaimed the starter's net. With Gru, Daccord, and the returning Driedger, Seattle's pretty set in net for this year so there wasn't really room to bring Jones back. I am a bit surprised he signed with the Leafs; Jones is pretty clearly the third option there and I thought he'd latch on with a team where he'd have a much cleaner path to a backup role. However, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets claimed off waivers by a team who loses one of their goalies to injury during training camp and needs a replacement.

Too many words but I think what you're trying to say is that he sucks and I will agree with you on that
jbru a aimé ceci.
9 août 2023 à 22 h 27
Rejoint: mai 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 3,695
Quoting: VaderJeff
Signing (former) SJS goalie as number 3 hoping to repeat same run as Adin Hill. You can't fool me Toronto, I am familiar with your move. cool

Adin hill was acquired by trade and hasn't been awful for 5 straight years.
9 août 2023 à 22 h 40
Black Lives Matter
Rejoint: mars 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 4,651
Low-risk signing, and you never know how many goalies you'll need. I'd say good signing.
jr400 a aimé ceci.
10 août 2023 à 8 h 46
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 548
Quoting: KrakenTheCode
The Kraken definitely got their money's worth out of Jones last year. There weren't high expectations with him but he played quite well over the first half of the season and was part of the reason why Seattle got off to as good of a start as they did. However, his gaudy win totals were a bit misleading, since a number of them had more to do with the Kraken's goalscoring in front of him rather than his play. Sure enough, Jones came crashing back down to earth down the stretch and Grubauer reclaimed the starter's net. With Gru, Daccord, and the returning Driedger, Seattle's pretty set in net for this year so there wasn't really room to bring Jones back. I am a bit surprised he signed with the Leafs; Jones is pretty clearly the third option there and I thought he'd latch on with a team where he'd have a much cleaner path to a backup role. However, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets claimed off waivers by a team who loses one of their goalies to injury during training camp and needs a replacement.

I appreciate these comments because I was trying to figure this guy out. I remember people singing his praises last season and giving him a lot of credit for Seattle’s success. He got a lot of starts in the regular season even when Grubauer was healthy, and his W-L record was similar to Samsonov, but his GAA was unimpressive and his save percentage was terrible, so the numbers tell a mixed story.

Anyway, I believe this is more about insurance in case Samsonov gets hurt (which happened three times last season so it is a legitimate concern), than it is about not yet being sure Woll is an NHL goalie. Woll’s sample size is still pretty small, but I don’t think they’d risk losing him to waivers before giving him a chance to play a full season in the NHL. Unlike a young goalie they’re trying to develop, they don’t have to worry about getting Jones playing time. There’s no harm in having him warm the bench or sit in the press box. If Samsonov stays healthy and they have to waive Jones to get under the cap or free up a roster spot, and somebody claims him, it’s no big loss. Easy come, easy go. So even if Jones is no good, I can’t call this a bad signing.
KrakenTheCode a aimé ceci.
10 août 2023 à 11 h 27
idunno
Rejoint: août 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 0
Quoting: aadoyle
Only problem I see is this guy could be stolen off waivers

I'm not sure anyone wants to do the Leafs that favour lol
10 août 2023 à 12 h 11
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 20,957
Modifié 10 août 2023 à 13 h 25
Quoting: jbru
I'm not sure anyone wants to do the Leafs that favour lol

That does not do them a favor at all lul it actually hurts them

As they lose their goalie insurance
10 août 2023 à 12 h 53
Orr28
Rejoint: juill. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 244
Quoting: AK50
Why??
Good price, but you have like 3 younger goalies in the minors who could be called up and if you send him down, he'll likely get claimed off of waivers anyways. On top of that Leafs have negative cap so it's not like he's gonna be a scratch.

Two of their young goalies (Petruzzelli and Hildeby) need more time in the AHL before they fill in due to injury.
11 août 2023 à 8 h 51
Rejoint: févr. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 317
Quoting: BCAPP
No I do not like it. He has been legitimately bad every year since 2017/2018. To put that in perspective that is 2 years before the pandemic. He had 3 good years from 25-27. He's 33. NHL teams shouldn't be signing him.

If he is the third string goalie in the AHL wahtever, but if there is any thought of him playing over Woll, even with a great camp its dumb.

What about the thought of him being the backup in case Sammy or Woll get hurt? We don't have anyone else ready to come up
CameronSquires a aimé ceci.
12 août 2023 à 10 h 11
Quoting: kous
What about the thought of him being the backup in case Sammy or Woll get hurt? We don't have anyone else ready to come up

He has been terrible. I'd rather just give someone like hildeby a shot. I see no reason to expect Jones to be better.

Besides he has to be waived to be sent down. Doubt he makes it
12 août 2023 à 11 h 14
He has been terrible. I'd rather just give someone like hildeby a shot. I see no reason to expect Jones to be better.

Besides he has to be waived to be sent down. Doubt he makes it

Yes he will be placed on waivers and will most likely clear. If he get claimed it cost the Leaf's nothing.

For a cup contender you can't take a chance at giving someone a shot. You need someone who has NHL experience and there is not a lot of options for a cheap #3 that will clear waivers for the AHL

If the Leaf's find themselves in need to use their #3 he is serviceable
12 août 2023 à 15 h 1
Yes he will be placed on waivers and will most likely clear. If he get claimed it cost the Leaf's nothing.

For a cup contender you can't take a chance at giving someone a shot. You need someone who has NHL experience and there is not a lot of options for a cheap #3 that will clear waivers for the AHL

I would agree with you accept for one thing:
Jones has been absolutely terrible. I don't think there is any reason to believe he'll be better than any random ahl starter. He's been that bad.

In the last 5 years there have been 93 goalies with 40 or more games (40 total over 5 years). He's 90th of 93 in save percentage. Only 3 worse

https://www.nhl.com/stats/goalies?reportType=season&seasonFrom=20182019&seasonTo=20222023&gameType=2&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,40&sort=savePct&page=0&pageSize=93

Even if we decrease to 10 gp to try to get all the random guys with a few games it grows to 120 goalies and he's 101st. And he's getting older so likely will get worse not better. Simply put I don't think there is any reasonable expectation he'd be better than whoever our ahl starter is. May as well give a young guy the crease in the ahl and call him up if needed.
12 août 2023 à 15 h 4

Maybe this will put it in better perspective:

In the last 3 years

Jones 0.894 save percentage and 3.21 gaa
Mrazek 0.897 and 3.30

He's terrible.
12 août 2023 à 15 h 8
Maybe this will put it in better perspective:

In the last 3 years

Jones 0.894 save percentage and 3.21 gaa
Mrazek 0.897 and 3.30

He's terrible.

I get that but this is your 3rd string goalie If you don't have a kid in the system capable what do you expect his numbers to be?

Also If it came down to it and they actually needed to use him he could be a stop gap while the look via the trade route. I don't see any better options
12 août 2023 à 21 h 49
I get that but this is your 3rd string goalie If you don't have a kid in the system capable what do you expect his numbers to be?

Also If it came down to it and they actually needed to use him he could be a stop gap while the look via the trade route. I don't see any better options

I'd just let it be hildeby.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Chargement de l'animation
Soumettre les modifications du sondage