SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2023 NHL Offseason Discussion Thread #3 - Free Agent Frenzy

One of the more popular debates online recently has been Malkin vs Kane. Who do you guys think had the better career? I'm going with Geno
Le graphique a été masqué

Options de sondage

9 juill. 2023 à 11 h 17
Tintin over 1122
Rejoint: mai 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 10,168
I need Debrincat on the caps
9 juill. 2023 à 11 h 32
Rejoint: août 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 12,102
Quoting: aadoyle
CBJ didnt desperatly need a RD

They had Peeke, Boqvist, Bean, Jiricek, Bjork, and Gudbranson

They did it to be in win now mode as look at the moves that team's making rn

Provarov
Severson

And I doubt Johnston gonna get 5mill considering if we look at production his comparable rn is Necas before this season. Marchenko will probs get the mid range deal in the 4-5mill range but also I doubt hes a guy who will struggle on the third line lul as he will have Fantilli

But in the end based on the above moves I would not be shocked if CBJ GM targets Willy as mentioned before top 9 of

Gaudreau-Jenner-Nylander
Johnston-Roslavic-Laine
Texier-Fantilli-Marchenko

Is solid. And come next season depending on the cap jump they got slightly more than 24mill so they can afford everyone especially once Gudbranson gets bought out

All of those D you listed are bottom pair defenseman or worse - Jiricek is the only D who has a high chance of being a top pair D.

Johnston is on a similar trajectory points wise to Tim stutzle. It wouldn’t be surprising if he’s a PPG player this season, that’s worthy of a 5 mill + contract.

Fantilli will be in the top 6 within the 1st month of the season. He’s an Eichel level talent.
Tintin a aimé ceci.
9 juill. 2023 à 12 h 7
Ovchinnikov 137
Rejoint: avr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,982

Give this man some top 6 mins

BigBallsBriere, A_Habs_fan, Juiceman and 3 others a aimé ceci.
9 juill. 2023 à 12 h 31
Ex Nucks fan
Rejoint: juin 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 17,624
Quoting: MatthewsFan

Give this man some top 6 mins

He’d be in the top 6 if he had any sort of finishing. That’s fixable though. Super underrated
9 juill. 2023 à 13 h 8
Tintin over 1122
Anyone think the capitals wasted orlov s career. He showed flashes of what he could do but it fully came out with the bruins.
9 juill. 2023 à 13 h 55
Ex Nucks fan
Rejoint: juin 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 17,624
Quoting: capsfan2121
Anyone think the capitals wasted orlov s career. He showed flashes of what he could do but it fully came out with the bruins.

You guys literally won a Stanley cup….
NorthernLeafsFan05, Saskleaf, kdawg32086 and 5 others a aimé ceci.
9 juill. 2023 à 18 h 14
Respect Mike Grier
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 2,602

Not sure the complete accuracy of this, but this same guy has reported Flyers stuff in the past. (New Jerseys, details of Giroux trade, etc)

Anyway if this is correct it feels like a fair deal to me. I figured Sandin and Liljegren deals would be comparables for this sitaution.
9 juill. 2023 à 19 h 30
Respect Mike Grier

9 juill. 2023 à 19 h 38
Démarrer sujet
Amirov Forever
Rejoint: mars 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 6,083
Quoting: ARMCHAIRGMOFTHEYEAR

Really sucks that the Sens had to trade him within the division. I feel pretty bad for the fans right now, hopefully they get a decent return. Berggren could be a nice add.
9 juill. 2023 à 19 h 39
Démarrer sujet
Amirov Forever
Wonder if the Isles would have interest in Nylander if he does become available. They were seemingly in on DeBrincat to the bitter end. Not sure they necessarily have the cap space to accommodate a 10 million dollar extension, but I like the fit. They've definitely got some pieces that could entice the Leafs
9 juill. 2023 à 19 h 43
What in tarnation
Rejoint: oct. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 31,451

F0ofEWJXoAYIEC0?format=jpg&name=small
BigBallsBriere, NorthernLeafsFan05, capsfan2121 and 10 others a aimé ceci.
9 juill. 2023 à 19 h 46
Respect Mike Grier

He got Laine deal
CantStopWontStop a aimé ceci.
9 juill. 2023 à 20 h 7
Tintin over 1122

9 juill. 2023 à 20 h 7
What in tarnation

Dorion needs to start learning Chinese
capsfan2121, Juiceman, A_Habs_fan and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
9 juill. 2023 à 20 h 10
Rejoint: janv. 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 484
I feel that’s great aav, and great value for Ottawa all things considered.

I wonder where Detroit sits as a bubble team now. They were not super far off last year. With their additions seems like they’re gonna let in a few more but score even more than that.

Rare top 6 trade between divisional rivals too.
9 juill. 2023 à 20 h 12
What in tarnation
Quoting: CantStopWontStop

I wonder where Detroit sits as a bubble team now. They were not super far off last year. With their additions seems like they’re gonna let in a few more but score even more than that.

Great value for Ottawa?

Imo that's absolutely terrible for them, considering how much they paid for Cat.
A_Habs_fan et MatthewsFan a aimé ceci.
9 juill. 2023 à 20 h 14
What in tarnation
You know what's fun?

Ottawa got DeBrincat from Chicago. For 7th overall pick + later picks.

Detroit got Kubalik from Chicago. For free.

Detroit got DeBrincat from Ottawa. For Kubalik, nobody prospect, and a potentially low conditional first.

Holy f*cking L.
MatthewsFan et capsfan2121 a aimé ceci.
9 juill. 2023 à 20 h 14
Démarrer sujet
Amirov Forever
Oof, thats tough for Ottawa. I'll concede that I dont know a ton about Sebrango, but that's just not enough. I like Kubalik though
9 juill. 2023 à 20 h 17
Bedard23
Mentions "j'aime": 4,478
Can I start digging Dorian’s grave?
9 juill. 2023 à 20 h 21
Rejoint: janv. 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 484
Quoting: justaBoss
Great value for Ottawa?

Imo that's absolutely terrible for them, considering how much they paid for Cat.

Absolutely: bad value compared to price paid

But good value considering the next step was a deadline rental.

Good value if you count only today and the coming days.

They weren’t getting what they got today at the deadline.

I think they got the best they could considering an extension to limited teams was a part of the process.

Anddddd I see there’s an opinion some have that DeBrincat wasn’t super amazing in Ottawa last year, which I somewhat agree with, so it’s not a tremendous loss from an on-ice perspective. The return would have been better if DeBrincat had scored 40 last year, but he didn’t, that’s that.
9 juill. 2023 à 20 h 36
What in tarnation
Absolutely: bad value compared to price paid

But good value considering the next step was a deadline rental.

Good value if you count only today and the coming days.

They weren’t getting what they got today at the deadline.

I think they got the best they could considering an extension to limited teams was a part of the process.

I have my doubts about that. Last deadline showed that assets have more value during the deadline compared to the offseason, when there's more variables involved. There's teams that aren't sure where they stand during the offseason and are thusly afraid of taking a risk, but during the deadline teams would be willing to include future assets especially to strengthen their core. I mean for crying out loud, Lars Eller got more (2nd) in return than Oliver Bjorkstrand (3rd+4th). Granted their contract situations were different, but in a vacuum I think everyone agrees Bjorkstrand is the superior player.

Ottawa and Detroit were pretty much in the exact same stage of their retools, and last year both of them were near the deadline somewhat close the playoff race. Their approaches were different - OTT decided to add (Chychrun), while DET decided to subtract (Bertuzzi, Hronek). Now, Detroit has used Bertuzzi's return to upgrade Kubalik to DeBrincat - which is a massive win for them.

I am under the impression DeBrincat never claimed to not want to continue with Ottawa, he only declined to sign long-term with them cuz he wanted to see what direction is the team going towards. Ironically, he gets to do that exact thing in Detroit, with Ottawa being left with pennies on the dollar, considering how much they invested in Cat a year ago.

I can't say for sure how feasible would've Ottawa and DeBrincat reaching a deal in arbitration been for Ottawa in terms of cap space, but if he had signed a one year deal for this year with them for, let's say $7M, and played a good year with them, I wouldn't have counted a Horvat, Giroux or Lindholm type returns out of question for him.
CantStopWontStop a aimé ceci.
9 juill. 2023 à 20 h 43
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 17,402
Quoting: IconicHawk

Yes, Dorion has outlasted his welcome imo, I think the Sens need a new GM, I’d imagine Andlauer will bring in his own guy soon
MatthewsFan a aimé ceci.
9 juill. 2023 à 21 h 25
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 21,034
Quoting: IconicHawk

Why a grave just send him to the tire fire pit he made
9 juill. 2023 à 21 h 26
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
Wonder if the Isles would have interest in Nylander if he does become available. They were seemingly in on DeBrincat to the bitter end. Not sure they necessarily have the cap space to accommodate a 10 million dollar extension, but I like the fit. They've definitely got some pieces that could entice the Leafs

The team I am keeping an eye on is CBJ but SEA or CAR also can be prime contenders for him

SEA though is growing considering their HC knows Nylander and their GM also apparently had connections
9 juill. 2023 à 22 h 29
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 10 juill. 2023 à 14 h 51
What I dont get is how Sens think they are getting Tarasenko or Tatar when they got 5mill and still need to extend Pinto

If they didnt sign Korpisalo I could have seen it. If anything I think its more likely one of Comtois, Gregor, Suter, or Sundqvist becomes a sen with the cap left over.

Cause Tarasenko probs gonna want the same kind of deal Bertuzzi got and even if they get the Murray retention back still not enough
zk97 a aimé ceci.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Chargement de l'animation
Soumettre les modifications du sondage