SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Lets Have An Honest And Objective Discussion About Mitch Marner

3 août 2020 à 13 h 20
Rejoint: janv. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 2,275
Quoting: MitchMarnerElite
Just because that’s what the fans think doesn’t make it accurate. The GMs around the league are aware of his nonsensical play, they’ll stay far away. Basically Marner is like a reclamation project at this point so most likely Toronto will have to add a sweetener or take salary back.

What do you know what GMs think. You posted confirmed lineup yesterday and had Engvall in when Gauthier was in.
3 août 2020 à 13 h 23
Démarrer sujet
Banni
Rejoint: sept. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 1,636
Quoting: ChiHawk
I've watched him in all the big games (playoffs) and more often then not, he's been far from elite. For that kind of cap hit, an acquiring team needs to know they are getting a player that single handedly will carry a team on his back in big games and win it for them. Crosby, Panarin, Kane, Ovy, McDavid, Matthews all are elite players that show they are able to do this in big games when needed, it is rare when Marner has shown this in a big game. For $11M cap hit, he can't be consistently blanking on the score sheet in the playoffs. I think that will change as he gets better, but teams would have to bet big on it and know that he will need a great center next to him.

IIRC, Marner played w/Kadri during the second half of 2017/18 & scored 33 points in 36 games which is a 90 point pace, plus scored 9 points in 7 playoff games. So he has shown the ability to play without a top center. However, he’s faded significantly since the 2018-19 regular season. He keeps fumbling the puck, misplacing passes & just floats around when he doesn’t have then puck. Most of the game he seems like he’s trying to avoid the play happening in front of him. No GM is going to want to acquire him cuz they have no idea if it’s attitude is going to change & go back to pre-contract form. If he was making 5 Million, maybe someone would give him another chance but not at 11. It’s gonna take a significant sweetener for Toronto to get rid of him or they’ll have to take salary back. But they need to do it cuz he’s preventing the team from reaching their potential.
3 août 2020 à 13 h 24
Démarrer sujet
Banni
Quoting: Leafs_and_Sens_Fan
What do you know what GMs think. You posted confirmed lineup yesterday and had Engvall in when Gauthier was in.

That was not me, that was @MitchMarner_16
Leafs_and_Sens_Fan a aimé ceci.
3 août 2020 à 13 h 25
Rejoint: avr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 1,640
The effort has been there all season with Marner, I'd argue he actually tried to much on his own, trying to force plays to justify his hold-out ( this will playout very similar to the Nylander situation a year ago) Marner will have a career year in the next season
Lenny7 a aimé ceci.
3 août 2020 à 13 h 28
retired
Rejoint: avr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 4,761
i enjoyed this. 10/10
3 août 2020 à 13 h 29
Lenny7
Rejoint: janv. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 11,051
I'm always curious about the hatred towards Marner. IMO, if he's playing anywhere else, he's not getting this type of heat.The contract negotiations soured the media, and the media soured *some* of the fans. Guy is an elite playmaker, and you're lucky to have him.

Signed: Darren Dreger (Paul Marner's burner account)
3 août 2020 à 13 h 33
Meh
Rejoint: juill. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 239
Agree with everything you are saying besides him being a game breaker...he doesn't show that enough especially in big games but he will grow as a player.

I agree, hence I said potential game breaker. For instance, Marner has played a lot better with Hyman on his wing than without. I am sure that several GMs think they could get more out of Marner with a different cast of characters around him.

Quote:
He doesn't have negative value, but Leafs will need to retain $1M to $2M on that cap hit if they expect a great package back. Teams, doesn't matter who besides Ottawa, can't take on that cap hit in today's flat cap environment without knowing they are getting a elite guy that will get them to the playoffs and be able to carry the team on his back into the playoffs...Marner hasn't shown that he can lead a team into the playoffs and win games with a C on or A on his chest and for $11M, he should.

Perhaps. I think that is certainly the case for a team that plans on competing (as was the case with Pittsburgh trading for Kessel). But I see a team that wants to shed salary and doesn't really care about competing right now while still attracting fans to the games as potentially finding Marner's contract appealing. They are saving 4M in cash compared to the cap hit and they can use the higher cap hit as proof to their fans that they are not cheaping out. If you don't plan on spending the cap anyways then the extra 1M or 2M of cap hit doesn't matter and almost half of cash savings would go to Toronto.
3 août 2020 à 13 h 35
Rejoint: juin 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 2,763
Elite players can put a team on their back in big games and win it for them. Marner rarely does that.

0 points yesterday
Last season playoffs in 7 games - 4 games without a point and only 2 goals scored in the series both in game 7 but 1 game in 7 doesn't mean elite
That is not elite!

Any team acquiring Marner for his cap hit, wants to know they are getting a guy that can literally change the outcome of a game in a big games and Marner so far can't; Kane, Crosby, Ovy, Panarin, McDavid, Matthews....those are elite players that consistently are able to put the team on their back and win big games. Now, Marner has upside for sure and maybe he will be able to carry a team on his back one day, but so far he hasn't shown consistency to do that in big games...that's one of the biggest reasons he MIGHT be hard to trade for that cap hit. The other being, what is Marner like without Matthews or JT?

excuse me but matthews? mcdavid? even panarin? really? what have they won as stars themselves? they havent taken over a series like crosby or even malkin does sometimes. Marner is a do it all winger. but first and foremost hes a playmaker. he isnt a scorer. he is your assist guy. he is your puck carrying passer. you listed a bunch of players that are primary scorers for their teams. marner isnt a primary scorer. which is why its laughable he got paid so much.
3 août 2020 à 13 h 37
Rejoint: avr. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 9,330
Quoting: Miles_Togo
I agree, hence I said potential game breaker. For instance, Marner has played a lot better with Hyman on his wing than without. I am sure that several GMs think they could get more out of Marner with a different cast of characters around him.

Quote:
He doesn't have negative value, but Leafs will need to retain $1M to $2M on that cap hit if they expect a great package back. Teams, doesn't matter who besides Ottawa, can't take on that cap hit in today's flat cap environment without knowing they are getting a elite guy that will get them to the playoffs and be able to carry the team on his back into the playoffs...Marner hasn't shown that he can lead a team into the playoffs and win games with a C on or A on his chest and for $11M, he should.

Perhaps. I think that is certainly the case for a team that plans on competing (as was the case with Pittsburgh trading for Kessel). But I see a team that wants to shed salary and doesn't really care about competing right now while still attracting fans to the games as potentially finding Marner's contract appealing. They are saving 4M in cash compared to the cap hit and they can use the higher cap hit as proof to their fans that they are not cheaping out. If you don't plan on spending the cap anyways then the extra 1M or 2M of cap hit doesn't matter and almost half of cash savings would go to Toronto.

Well it's not a short term contract or short term problem for a team taking on that $11M cap hit. Teams have one goal, to make revenue and you do that by getting fans in the seats and making it to the playoffs. I don't care what the team's cap situation is today, they need to look at it long term....including Ottawa. I just don't see many teams wanting to take on $11M cap hit long term for a guy that hasn't shown he can put the team on his back consistently (being the key word) and wear a C or at least A on his chest. Any team acquiring his $11M is purely betting Marner grows into that cap hit because he hasn't earned it yet IMO.
3 août 2020 à 13 h 37
Meh
Rejoint: juill. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 239
No chance you get a return of Jones/Hamilton/Pesce/Ekblad for Marner, that’s way too much even he was making 9 Million a year. The others are a possibility but given the way he’s performed this season, it seems be a pipe dream as well. The GMs around the league are aware of his nonsensical play, they’ll stay far away. Basically Marner is like a reclamation project at this point so most likely Toronto will have to add a sweetener or take salary back.

I understand that fans are really emotional right now. But GMs are not. Marner has 161 points over the past two seasons - in 141 games and just turned 23. He is among the players in the league who are farthest away from being a reclamation project.
3 août 2020 à 13 h 41
Quoting: hanson493
excuse me but matthews? mcdavid? even panarin? really? what have they won as stars themselves? they havent taken over a series like crosby or even malkin does sometimes. Marner is a do it all winger. but first and foremost hes a playmaker. he isnt a scorer. he is your assist guy. he is your puck carrying passer. you listed a bunch of players that are primary scorers for their teams. marner isnt a primary scorer. which is why its laughable he got paid so much.

McDavid, Panarin or Matthews haven't taken over big games? I'm not saying they have done it like Kane, Crosby, Malkin or Ovy but those former players certainly have won big games for their teams by putting them on their backs. You seem to be referring to only players that have won cups which is not what I am saying...teams win cups not players, but elite players are able to put a team on their back and win a game or two in a playoff series....doesn't need to be a cup game exclusively.

Yes, that is the entire point I'm making...the Leafs will have a hard time trading his $11M cap hit without retaining or not getting huge value back like a Matthews would as an example. Someone that carries a $11M hit, better be able to put the team on their backs in big games which does include scoring. Blanking in playoff games...last night was only one of many, does not constitute a $11M cap hit. That said, Marner is only 23.
3 août 2020 à 13 h 44
Rejoint: juin 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 2,763
McDavid, Panarin or Matthews haven't taken over big games? I'm not saying they have done it like Kane, Crosby, Malkin or Ovy but those former players certainly have won big games for their teams by putting them on their backs. You seem to be referring to only players that have won cups which is not what I am saying...teams win cups not players, but elite players are able to put a team on their back and win a game or two in a playoff series....doesn't need to be a cup game exclusively.

Yes, that is the entire point I'm making...the Leafs will have a hard time trading his $11M cap hit without retaining or not getting huge value back. Someone that carries a $11M hit, better be able to put the team on their backs in big games which does include scoring.

mcdavid, panarin, and matthews have not won a "big game" no. have they carried the team at points to wins during the regular season of course. but they havent carried the team to wins in the playoffs no. not even talking about cups.
3 août 2020 à 13 h 55
Brad Boyes please Wq
Rejoint: août 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 714
#Forums
3 août 2020 à 13 h 55
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 443
Elite players can put a team on their back in big games and win it for them. Marner rarely does that.

0 points yesterday
Last season playoffs in 7 games - 4 games without a point and only 2 goals scored in the series both in game 7 but 1 game in 7 doesn't mean elite
That is not elite!

Any team acquiring Marner for his cap hit, wants to know they are getting a guy that can literally change the outcome of a game in a big games and Marner so far can't; Kane, Crosby, Ovy, Panarin, McDavid, Matthews....those are elite players that consistently are able to put the team on their back and win big games. Now, Marner has upside for sure and maybe he will be able to carry a team on his back one day, but so far he hasn't shown consistency to do that in big games...that's one of the biggest reasons he MIGHT be hard to trade for that cap hit. The other being, what is Marner like without Matthews or JT?

ChiHawk

I understand your comments and totally respect your opinion. However, let me start by telling you in my opinion Marner is one of the most elite, elite hockey players I have come across in my time as a hockey fan.

I personally flew out to Red Deer, Alberta to watch him play a game in the Memorial Cup because it was obvious to me that he is a special, special hockey player. I can assure you i was not disappointed as I think he put up 4 assists in that game but did not really notice him. I think you are right when you say he does not put a team on his back in big games and win it for them. That is not the type of player that Marner is as a hockey player. He is more of an elite, elite hockey player who sets up his teammates in big games to help them win the game. But make no mistake, he is an elite hockey player.

He had an unbelievable final year of junior hockey with the London Knights and won every possible award that year. You should google Mitch Marner awards won in final year of junior hockey playing of the London Knights and name me a player in the NHL who has ever won that many awards in one year. Marner is a rare player that can play 5x5, PP and PK and thinks the game at a level beyond most other hockey players and is a tremendous play maker.

I am not questioning his abilities based on a tough low scoring playoff game loss against a team like Columbus who was the playing the old New Jersey Devils trap to perfection when none of the other Leafs star offensive players did anything as well. You need to realize that this years playoffs are a bit of a joke in that the players have had no exhibition games or regular games to work out their bugs before actually playing and would not be surprised if these trap first type teams are going to be very effective in playing against elite offensive teams until the elite talent starts to take over.

I think it is time for the Leafs to free up Marner and put him with Matthews and then you are going to see pure magic at work and you know exactly what I mean as you know what the Hawks were like with Kane and Toews playing together. Marner and Matthews are born for each other and both think the game at a different level and then you will see how elite Marner is as a hockey player. Should watch the Leafs vs Hurricanes game earlier this year if you have any doubts about Marner being an elite hockey player.
3 août 2020 à 14 h 5
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 443
@MitchMarnerElite

I want to say that I am very disappointed that you did not include me in this conversation when you know I am the most die hard Mitch Marner fan on this site.

This trade is total nonsense as Marner is a franchise player for the Leafs who plays 5x5, PP and PK and is in my opinion is an even better person on and off the ice and does nothing but good things for less fortunate people in this world. The Leafs have waited a generation to have a player like Marner and you are willing to give up on a young player who is probably going to be a 90-100 point per year player for the rest of his career.

Your trade is a total joke in terms of value for Marner and just confirms you are really a Penguins fan who is highly jealous of Marner and the Leafs.
3 août 2020 à 14 h 6
Démarrer sujet
Banni
Quoting: Miles_Togo
I understand that fans are really emotional right now. But GMs are not. Marner has 161 points over the past two seasons - in 141 games and just turned 23. He is among the players in the league who are farthest away from being a reclamation project.

Well, it was Dubas who constructed this current team & to see them not doing well, he has to be panicking. Both him & Keefe have questioned the maturity of Marner so that is not a good sign.
3 août 2020 à 14 h 9
Quoting: TML_Tika
ChiHawk

I understand your comments and totally respect your opinion. However, let me start by telling you in my opinion Marner is one of the most elite, elite hockey players I have come across in my time as a hockey fan.

I personally flew out to Red Deer, Alberta to watch him play a game in the Memorial Cup because it was obvious to me that he is a special, special hockey player. I can assure you i was not disappointed as I think he put up 4 assists in that game but did not really notice him. I think you are right when you say he does not put a team on his back in big games and win it for them. That is not the type of player that Marner is as a hockey player. He is more of an elite, elite hockey player who sets up his teammates in big games to help them win the game. But make no mistake, he is an elite hockey player.

He had an unbelievable final year of junior hockey with the London Knights and won every possible award that year. You should google Mitch Marner awards won in final year of junior hockey playing of the London Knights and name me a player in the NHL who has ever won that many awards in one year. Marner is a rare player that can play 5x5, PP and PK and thinks the game at a level beyond most other hockey players and is a tremendous play maker.

I am not questioning his abilities based on a tough low scoring playoff game loss against a team like Columbus who was the playing the old New Jersey Devils trap to perfection when none of the other Leafs star offensive players did anything as well. You need to realize that this years playoffs are a bit of a joke in that the players have had no exhibition games or regular games to work out their bugs before actually playing and would not be surprised if these trap first type teams are going to be very effective in playing against elite offensive teams until the elite talent starts to take over.

I think it is time for the Leafs to free up Marner and put him with Matthews and then you are going to see pure magic at work and you know exactly what I mean as you know what the Hawks were like with Kane and Toews playing together. Marner and Matthews are born for each other and both think the game at a different level and then you will see how elite Marner is as a hockey player. Should watch the Leafs vs Hurricanes game earlier this year if you have any doubts about Marner being an elite hockey player.

I have zero interest in talking about what players did in lesser leagues (juniors in this case)....it's not relevant. What is relevant is he carries one of the top 5 highest cap hits in the league is not a top 5 player. I've also clearly shown his stats, not just last night's game, but last year too in the playoffs that he is not a game changer. Marner is so far great but not elite (elite players are Malkin, Crosby, Ovy) and certainly not elite enough for his $11M cap hit as of today...maybe he will be in the future but not now. Elite means you are top 5 offensive player in the league and Marner simply is not as of now.

BTW...Kane and Toews don't and haven't played on the same line very often
3 août 2020 à 14 h 18
Démarrer sujet
Banni
Quoting: Bcarlo25
Matthews wanted the most he could get, and got it. Same with nylander. If the leafs don’t respect marner for those reasons, why not the other two guys?

Tagging a million people in this kind of thing is such a scummy move. It gets quoted once and all of a sudden notifications are going out like crazy.

The difference is, Matthews & Nylander have shown that they’ve earned their money. Pretty much every game, they are playing with high intensity, creating chances & giving a full effort. It’s the complete opposite from Marner. He’s lazy, sloppy & goes missing for 90% if games. So the reason why fans respect Matthews & Nylander but not Marner is very clear to me.
3 août 2020 à 14 h 20
Démarrer sujet
Banni
Quoting: Halidec
I agree that his intensity and effort needs to improve but we were saying the same thing about nylander last year this time. I think marner is like most young players trying to hard to live up to his contract and not playing what come natural for them. I honestly think if the core does not show significant improvement soon this offseason nylander is the one shopped around. He is skilled but is easier to replace and would wake up the rest of the roster that they need to start living up to their potential or more will go.

To me, trading Nylander isn’t fair to him. He’s worked so hard to get to the level that he’s played & has been consistent with his effort every single game. He’s earned his money. You move the guy that is hurting the team, which is Marner.
3 août 2020 à 14 h 22
torontos finest
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,192
Marner was pretty bad last night, yeah. He definitely needs to be the player that got him a 8 digit salary.

But please stop proposing this trade. It's laughably horrendous and you will never convenience anyone it's fair value.
3 août 2020 à 14 h 23
Démarrer sujet
Banni
Quoting: Lenny7
I'm always curious about the hatred towards Marner. IMO, if he's playing anywhere else, he's not getting this type of heat.The contract negotiations soured the media, and the media soured *some* of the fans. Guy is an elite playmaker, and you're lucky to have him.

Signed: Darren Dreger (Paul Marner's burner account)

There’s no denying that he’s elite & has all the abilities to be a game breaker. But the effort is not there. Yesterday was an example, he had so many misplaced passes, shot the puck wide of the net, fumbled it & just floating around. For 95% of this season, he’s played like that. That is not acceptable regardless of how much or how little he makes. A minimum wage guy who plays like him would be sent to the AHL.
3 août 2020 à 14 h 25
Rejoint: mars 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 696
So no, I’m still not interested in trading Marner. He’s a player that’s very important to the leafs roster, and getting something of equal value is next to impossible. Marner had a down year and his value to the team shouldn’t be judged based on that and the negotiations. Marner plays a good 2 Way game and will only get better. It would be insane to trade him.
3 août 2020 à 14 h 25
Bcarlo25
Rejoint: mai 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 6,988
The difference is, Matthews & Nylander have shown that they’ve earned their money. Pretty much every game, they are playing with high intensity, creating chances & giving a full effort. It’s the complete opposite from Marner. He’s lazy, sloppy & goes missing for 90% if games. So the reason why fans respect Matthews & Nylander but not Marner is very clear to me.

Well you’re the one that mentioned the contract hold out and trying to get as much money as possible. Nylander really held out. How is that different?
3 août 2020 à 15 h 8
Rejoint: nov. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 2,223
Marner should not be made to drive his line, that's his centers job (either JT or Matthews). Too often his linemates just give Mitch the puck and try to spread the defensive out and stand still hoping the "wiz kid" can make the perfect one timer pass for an easy goal. Too bad the defending teams have learned to double cover the one timer and than pressure Mitch into making a bad pass, since they know Marner can't get the puck to the net with a shot.
3 août 2020 à 15 h 12
Banni
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 4,837
I mean, he literally held out & squeezed the GM for every last penny which he didn’t deserve. If that’s not being toxic, IDK what is. I agree that he’s gifted, but it’s about how you perform. Right now, he hasn’t proven to 1 GM that he’s worth an elite defenceman in a trade. Especially at that cap hit. It’s not only me who sees him as a negative value asset, fans from other teams agree as you can see the quotes below:

nice fake quote LOL people on here

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage