SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Pittsburgh Penguins signed Marcus Pettersson (5 Years / $4,025,175 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
Le graphique a été masqué

Options de sondage

28 janv. 2020 à 10 h 53
gregb569
Rejoint: févr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 390
Quoting: AndrewLadd
Let’s keep in mind Charlie McAvoy is going to only be making $800,000 more than this guy

2 years less and IMO McAvoy is slightly overrated
28 janv. 2020 à 10 h 54
Bo Horvat enjoyer
Rejoint: mars 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,932
Quoting: gregb569
2 years less and IMO McAvoy is slightly overrated

McAvoy is a top pairing dman, Pettersson is fringe 3rd/2nd. Even if it’s 2 years less it’s still a steal
28 janv. 2020 à 10 h 54
Banni
Rejoint: mai 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 1,491
Quoting: Random2152
Your homer glasses are blinding you man. He is overpaid. He should be making 1mil less at least, and that is ignoring the fact that he is just an average defender.

So im a homer because I dont mind the contract? Good to know. Guess you must have missed the part where I said tanev was a bit of an overpayment. But ya, definitely a homer
OldNYIfan et mhockey91 a aimé ceci.
28 janv. 2020 à 10 h 56
Just Keep Swimming
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 5,594
Quoting: hockeyfanatic05
So im a homer because I dont mind the contract? Good to know. Guess you must have missed the part where I said tanev was a bit of an overpayment. But ya, definitely a homer

No. You can ' not mind' a contract, but he is overpaid, and the fact you don't think so and are fighting it so vehemently means you are a homer
28 janv. 2020 à 10 h 58
Banni
No. You can ' not mind' a contract, but he is overpaid, and the fact you don't think so and are fighting it so vehemently means you are a homer

So if someone has a difference in opinion about their favorite team, you immediately call them a homer? lol thats comical.
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
28 janv. 2020 à 10 h 59
Just Keep Swimming
So if someone has a difference in opinion about their favorite team, you immediately call them a homer? lol thats comical.

No, I'm calling you a homer because you are ignoring valid arguments and comparisons.
28 janv. 2020 à 11 h 1
Banni
No, I'm calling you a homer because you are ignoring valid arguments and comparisons.

You compared him to Justin Holl. A player that signed for less term, is less experienced, plays less time, and this is his only first full season.
Goavs141, gregb569, Chigurrhh and 6 others a aimé ceci.
28 janv. 2020 à 11 h 4
Banni
Mentions "j'aime": 4,837
So is Justin holl. He signed for 2 mil less. It's an overpayment

Just stop you are talking nonsense.
Holl is 27 years old and this is his 1st full NHL season.
MP is 23 and this is his 2nd full season. It's not even comparable.
hockeyfanatic05, Goavs141, Chigurrhh and 5 others a aimé ceci.
28 janv. 2020 à 11 h 7
Just Keep Swimming
You compared him to Justin Holl. A player that signed for less term, is less experienced, plays less time, and this is his only first full season.

Justin holl is a shut down dman playing top comp. His less experience is a tiny sample size and not a huge difference, 3 fewer mins if not a lot, and toi is a bad measure of dmen anyway. Usage is more important.

I'm saying Peterson should have signed a contract closer to holl the fact that they are different terms didn't help your point
28 janv. 2020 à 11 h 7
Rejoint: oct. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 191
All of the pens fans expected he would get between 3.25 and 4.5. So to get him at 4 mill isn't terrible
gregb569, OldNYIfan et vmark a aimé ceci.
28 janv. 2020 à 11 h 8
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: pharrow
Just stop you are talking nonsense.
Holl is 27 years old and this is his 1st full NHL season.
MP is 23 and this is his 2nd full season. It's not even comparable.

Oh Jesus. Mr ignore everything if it goes against your point. They are very comparable players role wise. His age should have gotten him more, but not this much.
28 janv. 2020 à 11 h 10
Banni
I think this is the 1st domino to fall for the penguins.
I think they have to get their cap squared away if they are going to make plans to move forward on any kind of deal.
My guess is McCann is next in line with Kahun.
Those deals dropping would not surprise me at all.
I think most of us kind of Pegged MP at 4 million. It makes sense. It's also why they won't be looking for a top 4 defense any time soon.
I think this is a great deal. Getting a 2nd pairing guy for 4 million is not bad. Especially with the cap set to explode during the contract. On top of it they bought up a UFA year. Not bad at all.
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
28 janv. 2020 à 11 h 11
Banni
Justin holl is a shut down dman playing top comp. His less experience is a tiny sample size and not a huge difference, 3 fewer mind if not a lot, and toi is a bad measure of dmen anyway. Usage is more important.

I'm saying Peterson should have signed a contract closer to holl the fact that they are different terms didn't help your point

You call me a homer lol but talk so highly of Holl. Holl is in his first full year, no shot he was signing any other contract than what he signed for. Leafs weren't giving term to a 28 year old unproven player. Pettersson is playing his 2nd season in the top 4, and getting stronger every year. They gave him term to lock him up while still improving. If anyone is a homer, its you.... And 3 minutes less is a lot of time
EGM, OldNYIfan, HabsForEver and 2 others a aimé ceci.
28 janv. 2020 à 11 h 12
exo2769
Rejoint: juill. 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 9,762
Quoting: AndrewLadd
McAvoy is a top pairing dman, Pettersson is fringe 3rd/2nd. Even if it’s 2 years less it’s still a steal

I agree with what you're saying, but McAvoy gave a pretty nice discount to BOS. It's always going to be difficult to compare new contracts to sweetheart deals. BOS should (and does I'm sure) appreciate him.

***EDIT*** Also, does anyone else think there's a bit of Maatta regret here?!?! I'm sure PIT likes Kahun...he's playing great, but it sure feels like this is Maatta all over again to me.
rollie1967 a aimé ceci.
28 janv. 2020 à 11 h 12
Rejoint: avr. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 1,535
Great contract! Locking up a steady top 4D for 5 years at 4m throughout his prime? Love it

Steady top 4? No, this was the Pettersson signing...
AndrewLadd et HabsForEver a aimé ceci.
28 janv. 2020 à 11 h 15
Banni
Justin holl is a shut down dman playing top comp. His less experience is a tiny sample size and not a huge difference, 3 fewer mins if not a lot, and toi is a bad measure of dmen anyway. Usage is more important.

Oh Jesus. Mr ignore everything if it goes against your point. They are very comparable players role wise. His age should have gotten him more, but not this much.

they are not comparable. When Holl was 23 he was getting set to develop in the AHL for another 3 years.
MP is an NHL caliber player already, and still has room to grow and develop. He's simply has much greater potential.
You pay for that.
This is the right way to do a contract. You pay for a player while they are going through their peek years and turning into the best they are ever going to be. Instead of paying for players who are aging out which is what usually happens in FA as people pick up guys who are 27 and 28 and on the decline having peeked.
When you look at Holl, he's peeked. Period. What you see is what you get.
MP has not peeked as a player yet. They will get more out of him as he continues to grow as a player. It's a good deal.
OldNYIfan et justaBoss a aimé ceci.
28 janv. 2020 à 11 h 17
Banni
Quoting: exo2769
I agree with what you're saying, but McAvoy gave a pretty nice discount to BOS. It's always going to be difficult to compare new contracts to sweetheart deals. BOS should (and does I'm sure) appreciate him.

***EDIT*** Also, does anyone else think there's a bit of Maatta regret here?!?! I'm sure PIT likes Kahun...he's playing great, but it sure feels like this is Maatta all over again to me.

I think BOS got a discount on CM due to the concussions. He has an injury history. It causes a concern.
I don't know, I saw recently some BOS fans trying to run him out of town already because he's having a down year.
exo2769 a aimé ceci.
28 janv. 2020 à 11 h 18
gregb569
Rejoint: févr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 390

He got more for a number of reasons. Age is better, skill is better, plays a bigger roll, has a higher ceiling, took less on his last deal to help the team.
SydBarrett, OldNYIfan et HabsForEver a aimé ceci.
28 janv. 2020 à 11 h 21
Chiggy
Rejoint: mai 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 590
Currently better than Rasmus Andersson, who is the same age. Maybe Andersson has better upside down the road but I'd rather pay 4 million to Pettersson than 4.5 million to Andersson. Pettersson is significantly better in the offensive zone and puts up more offense.

ENzLVfHX4A0h1ud?format=png&name=900x900
gregb569, hockeyfanatic05, BradTolliverGoalie and 2 others a aimé ceci.
28 janv. 2020 à 11 h 29
Chiggy
Rejoint: mai 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 590
Not sure why he got so much. Good dman and all but he should have been closer to the holl contract than this massive overpay

Justin Holl is 27 years old and has played 61 NHL games. Acting like a 23-year-old defenseman who should be getting better over the course of his contract is comparable in anyway is insane.

Perfect example of Leafs homerism and "but what does this mean for the Leafs?" that I have come to expect from this user.
BradTolliverGoalie, SydBarrett, pinslack and 5 others a aimé ceci.
28 janv. 2020 à 11 h 34
Sensible Commentary
Rejoint: juill. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 536
i think it's fiiiiine.

the $3.5M - $4.5M range is what most teams appear to be giving mid-tier defenders, outside of the ones that have weird and wonky cap situations (and you can argue, for those defenders that are getting underpaid, that it's frankly unfair to them to be so, from a labor perspective). good on Pettersson for getting his money, and good on the Penguins for making a decent bet on a 24-year-old who at least hasn't peaked out on his aging curve yet.
gregb569, Chigurrhh, OldNYIfan and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
28 janv. 2020 à 11 h 48
No regretzkys
Rejoint: août 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 389
Not sure why he got so much. Good dman and all but he should have been closer to the holl contract than this massive overpay

Top 4 dman making $4 mill a year after signing a very very team friendly 1 year deal. Not a massive overpay

I would call this an overpay now, but could easily turn into a bargain in 2 years.
gregb569 a aimé ceci.
28 janv. 2020 à 11 h 51
No regretzkys
Rejoint: août 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 389
Quoting: AwesomeMatthews
Cap Crunch gets even Crunchier.

They actually have quite a bit of cap space.. Sure they have to work through their goalies and Mccann, but otherwise they have some mobility.
gregb569 a aimé ceci.
28 janv. 2020 à 11 h 53
Bo Horvat enjoyer
Rejoint: mars 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,932
Quoting: exo2769

Well unlike Maata, Pettersson can actually skate
gregb569 et OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
28 janv. 2020 à 11 h 53
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: Chigurrhh
Justin Holl is 27 years old and has played 61 NHL games. Acting like a 23-year-old defenseman who should be getting better over the course of his contract is comparable in anyway is insane.

Perfect example of Leafs homerism and "but what does this mean for the Leafs?" that I have come to expect from this user.

Damn dude, comparing him to another player is Leafs homerism all of a sudden?!? Christ we just have the holy trinity of idiots here don't we. Pharrow, Hockeyfanatic, and yourself.

You call me a homer lol but talk so highly of Holl. Holl is in his first full year, no shot he was signing any other contract than what he signed for. Leafs weren't giving term to a 28 year old unproven player. Pettersson is playing his 2nd season in the top 4, and getting stronger every year. They gave him term to lock him up while still improving. If anyone is a homer, its you.... And 3 minutes less is a lot of time

You keep citing that he is in his second year as if that is that is a large sample size that proves him in anyway more than Holl. Toi means very little, role matters a ton. Holl is on our shut down pair playing top comp each night, Peterson is not. I will say it again, I like him as a defender, but he is a bottom 4 guy who can play on your second pair in a pinch and you paid him like a top 4 guy. That is an overpay.

And Holl IS on our shut down pair. That isn't an opinion, rather a fact. Citing that isn't being a homer lol.

He got more for a number of reasons. 1)Age is better, 2)skill is better, 3)plays a bigger roll, 4)has a higher ceiling, 5)took less on his last deal to help the team.

1)True
2)Debatable
3)Justin Holl is our Shutdown Dman playing against McDavids. I very much doubt that Peterson has a bigger role.
4)Maybe, but I don't see it
5)No he didn't. He took his QA the same way Mango did last year to get a larger sample size and try for a bigger contract now. It was a calculated bet on himself, not a discount. It also has no relevance to this contract.

Quoting: pharrow
they are not comparable. When Holl was 23 he was getting set to develop in the AHL for another 3 years.
MP is an NHL caliber player already, and still has room to grow and develop. He's simply has much greater potential.
You pay for that.
This is the right way to do a contract. You pay for a player while they are going through their peek years and turning into the best they are ever going to be. Instead of paying for players who are aging out which is what usually happens in FA as people pick up guys who are 27 and 28 and on the decline having peeked.
When you look at Holl, he's peeked. Period. What you see is what you get.
MP has not peeked as a player yet. They will get more out of him as he continues to grow as a player. It's a good deal.

I actually agree with this. My contention is that they paid too much, even for a bet. Should have been 3-4@3 ish.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Chargement de l'animation
Soumettre les modifications du sondage