SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2023-2024 NHL Discussion Thread #5: The Final Stretch

11 avr. à 11 h 18
Leafs going to Leafs
Rejoint: déc. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 2,996
Quoting: mokumboi
Heh. Nah, that's what happens when Dom cherry picks to write a fanboy article. As usual.

Considering goal scoring totals were higher in the 80s and 90s compared to now... I wouldn't call it "cherry picks to write a fanboy article"

I would, though, if the Ovechkin season wasn't high up the list/not on the list or if he were to put an outrageous claim like this is the best goal scoring season ever, etc.
11 avr. à 11 h 26
Go leafs go
Rejoint: avr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 9,209
Quoting: CameronSquires
Some names I thought of for Utah

Salt Lake City Lions
Salt Lake Coyotes
Utah Coyotes
Utah Warriors
Salt Lake City Rams
Salt Lake City Cougars
Salt Lake City Bison
Salt Lake Cyclones
Utah Tornadoes
Utah Cyclones
Utah Blizzard
Salt Lake City Cheetahs
Utah Dragons
Salt Lake Lizards

Are any of these not total trash? Lol

My favourites team names:
5. Salt Lake Stags
4. Utah Blizzard
3. Salt Lake Stingers
2. Utah Yeti
1. Utah Coyotes
NHLfan10506 et BigBallsBriere a aimé ceci.
11 avr. à 11 h 27
Leafs going to Leafs
Yes, a relatively simple, nonsense calculation. And most of those 80s and 90s goal totals were done with wooden sticks, but that never gets mentioned. Or how certain crazy talented scoring teams threw off the averages. Or how clutching and grabbing and hooking and all sorts of things were allowed back then. No two line passes. Etc etc etc.

When folks start elevating 100% subjective, cherry picked and inherently faulty stats to gospel, it's just nonsense.

You say this... But you have to remember; goalies just started wearing masks, getting the puck off the ice basically meant a goal...

Grant Fuhr won the Vezina while posting an .881... Jack Campbell, this season, had an .873 and was called unusable....

Everyone's faster, stronger and more athletic... Which is why defence is more effective...

It's a different game now then it was before... It's fair to try and use a model to see what a 66 goal season in 23-24 would be equal to (based on rough estimates) in '89-90

As for being 100% subjective, how's that any different from the MVP conversation... There's 4 worthy candidates but there's not a deciding factor, which allows people to be subjective...
11 avr. à 11 h 32
Go leafs go
Through the magic of his cherry picked "analytics" he says it's clear that this Matthews season is actually like the 7th best goal scoring season of all time. Some nonsense like that.

Maybe it’s a bit of a stretch (I didn’t read the article so maybe there’s some other crazy stuff too) but you’re acting like he just claimed that Nick Robertson was better than Mike Bossy lol, chill. 70 goals is extremely rare and if I’m not mistaken I we’ve had less than 20 of them ever in NHL history. Try to adjust for the different eras (which is not an exact science but there’s no doubt it’s harder to score 70 now days than in the 80s), and 7th best scoring season all time honestly sounds not too far off. Why is it so hard for you to give credit where credit is due?

Edit: and yes I do realize he hasn’t hit 70 yet, but my point still stands
11 avr. à 11 h 37
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 17,396
Quoting: Saskleaf
Maybe it’s a bit of a stretch (I didn’t read the article so maybe there’s some other crazy stuff too) but you’re acting like he just claimed that Nick Robertson was better than Mike Bossy lol, chill. 70 goals is extremely rare and if I’m not mistaken I we’ve had less than 20 of them ever in NHL history. Try to adjust for the different eras (which is not an exact science but there’s no doubt it’s harder to score 70 now days than in the 80s), and 7th best scoring season all time honestly sounds not too far off. Why is it so hard for you to give credit where credit is due?

There have been 14 70+ goal season (8 different players have hit 70+ goals), it is very much a rare occurence
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
11 avr. à 11 h 47
More Finns More Wins
Rejoint: juill. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 631
Quoting: Leafsfan98
Would that count for pace as well (talking about the 41 in 56 season Matthews had to win the RR)?

Yes, but only in the case where the season length was different. Something like Cam Neely's 1993-1994 where he scored 50 goals in 49 games wouldn't be adjusted because teams played 84 games that season, but for the shortened 2021 season the pace would be over 56 games (even though Matthews only played 52). That season would count for 63.5 season-adjusted goals, but unfortunately hockey-reference's single-season goal leader page doesn't show anyone with less than 47 goals in a season so it's not in the main list.

Yes, a relatively simple, nonsense calculation. And most of those 80s and 90s goal totals were done with wooden sticks, but that never gets mentioned. Or how certain crazy talented scoring teams threw off the averages. Or how clutching and grabbing and hooking and all sorts of things were allowed back then. No two line passes. Etc etc etc.

When folks start elevating 100% subjective, cherry picked and inherently faulty stats to gospel, it's just nonsense.

I'm not going to debate you on your point that this adjustment is flawed and that the game has changed, but to say that I'm cherry-picking and being subjective are both wrong. Any era-adjustment is going to be flawed because you can't say exactly how much the game has changed. Does the improvement in goaltending equipment and skill offset the improvement in scorers' equipment and skill? Have the numerous rule changes over the years favoured one side or the other?

I use overall league goals per game because that serves as some kind of measurement as to how the offense/defense/goaltending balance has shifted over the years, though nothing can perfectly measure the difference between seasons, let alone eras.

What do you contend that I'm cherry-picking, and what am I cherry-picking in service of? I don't have a narrative to push, and I decided on the criteria and methodology before I saw any results. Similarly, I don't use any subjective measurements. League goals, league game and player goals are all countable, objective measurements, far from the 100% subjective that you claim.
A_Habs_fan et Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
11 avr. à 11 h 53
mokumboi
Rejoint: avr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,371
Quoting: Hurricanes_WPG

I'm not going to debate you on your point that this adjustment is flawed and that the game has changed, but to say that I'm cherry-picking and being subjective are both wrong.

I think we have crossed wires. I did not say you were cherry picking, I was saying Dom cherry picks. Because he totally does, and he's been busted for it too many times to count.

And I was not calling you subjective, I was calling analytics and adjusted stats subjective. Because they 100% inherently are. This is inarguable. They all require a speculative man made formula to futz with the raw numbers. That is the dictionary definition of subjective.
11 avr. à 11 h 57
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: Hurricanes_WPG
Yes, but only in the case where the season length was different. Something like Cam Neely's 1993-1994 where he scored 50 goals in 49 games wouldn't be adjusted because teams played 84 games that season, but for the shortened 2021 season the pace would be over 56 games (even though Matthews only played 52). That season would count for 63.5 season-adjusted goals, but unfortunately hockey-reference's single-season goal leader page doesn't show anyone with less than 47 goals in a season so it's not in the main list.

Oh... Makes sense now, I was a little confused on how Matthews's 19-20 season was on the list and yet not his better season in 20-21
11 avr. à 11 h 57
Rejoint: juill. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 2,926
Era adjusting anything is dumb and inaccurate. Matthews would never have scored 70 goals in the 80s because Arizona didn't have a team and he would have been a chain smoking baseballer.

Can we all just admit that this season we're seeing special players do special things non of us have ever seen before. How many folks on this site were old enough to appreciate what Selanne and Mog did.

Matthews might be the next Ovi. He might be the next Bossy. But he's the first AustonMatthews and even tho he's a Leafs fan that's impressive.
11 avr. à 12 h 0
mokumboi
Quoting: Saskleaf

There have been 20 season goal totals above Matthews at this moment. For Dom to declare that "it's clear" Matthews has the 7th best goal scoring season is overtly silly, and that's before we even get to all the comments on the article pointing out obvious and glaring formula issues.

But it's not just one dumb thing out of context. This is the same guy who imagines that Timmins has been worth more than twice as much as Parayko this season. This is a routine thing. On a site that was super awesome, but now bases everything on this guy's "model" and sucks hard. But somehow these fudged numbers get elevated to gospel status.
11 avr. à 12 h 4
mokumboi
Considering goal scoring totals were higher in the 80s and 90s compared to now... I wouldn't call it "cherry picks to write a fanboy article"

I would, though, if the Ovechkin season wasn't high up the list/not on the list or if he were to put an outrageous claim like this is the best goal scoring season ever, etc.

That's not the cherry pick I was referring to. But anyway, this guy always cherry picks. If one player on a team he hates has a shooting pct slump, despite being a career high % shooter, well he was just lucky before and now he's regressed back to his suck level. If a player on a team he likes has a shooting pct slump, well he is just unlucky right now. So much analysis is conditional on who the team is and what point he wants to sell.
11 avr. à 12 h 13
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 17,396
Quoting: Rangsey
Era adjusting anything is dumb and inaccurate. Matthews would never have scored 70 goals in the 80s because Arizona didn't have a team and he would have been a chain smoking baseballer.

Can we all just admit that this season we're seeing special players do special things non of us have ever seen before. How many folks on this site were old enough to appreciate what Selanne and Mog did.

Matthews might be the next Ovi. He might be the next Bossy. But he's the first AustonMatthews and even tho he's a Leafs fan that's impressive.

I will agree partially, we don't really need era adjusted stats for anything however, everyone knows hockey has evolved and we as fans continually compare players performance to someone in the past and in that way, make era adjusted stats an important thing to know, you cannot compare Mogilny and Phil Esposito's 76 goal season as equal due to hockey evolving during that 23 year span
Saskleaf et Rangsey a aimé ceci.
11 avr. à 14 h 47
Rejoint: janv. 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 483
I think wings penguins tonight is as close to must see game as it gets for me, and read Copp was unfortunately hurt. That’s gonna really boost Geno’s line. Who’s ready for more positive Bunting headlines?
11 avr. à 15 h 51
Go leafs go
There have been 20 season goal totals above Matthews at this moment. For Dom to declare that "it's clear" Matthews has the 7th best goal scoring season is overtly silly, and that's before we even get to all the comments on the article pointing out obvious and glaring formula issues.

But it's not just one dumb thing out of context. This is the same guy who imagines that Timmins has been worth more than twice as much as Parayko this season. This is a routine thing. On a site that was super awesome, but now bases everything on this guy's "model" and sucks hard. But somehow these fudged numbers get elevated to gospel status.

Saying “it’s clear” is definitely stupid, but I think there is something to the fact that this is the first 65+ season in over 15 years and could be the first 70+ season in over 20 years, that makes it more impressive than doing it when everyone else was doing it. I’m just saying I don’t think the claim in of itself is that crazy.

But if he unironically thinks Timmins>>Parayko (unless it’s accounting for contracts) still then I can see you point about not liking him lol
11 avr. à 16 h 17
Démarrer sujet
Amirov Forever
Rejoint: mars 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 6,073
Hanifin resigns with Vegas for 8 years at 7.25m per. Great deal for Vegas IMO
11 avr. à 16 h 45
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 21,016
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
Hanifin resigns with Vegas for 8 years at 7.25m per. Great deal for Vegas IMO

7.35m but hey still good
11 avr. à 19 h 35
Kucherov. Just quietly. 98 assists on the year
11 avr. à 20 h 25
Hakuna Matata
If Matthews can get 1 more goal tonight the meme I envisioned may become a reality

DET better watch out lul
11 avr. à 20 h 33
Hakuna Matata
One thing NHL should look into is instigator penalties

As its literally a coin toss these days if one will be stapled on after a fight
11 avr. à 20 h 50
Rejoint: mai 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 18,407
Quoting: HockeyScotty
I'm sure they will use "Utah" as the placename for the team to incorporate a larger demographic into their fanbase.

I wonder if it will be the Utah Eagles. There is a connection to Smith's early hockey fandom and of course Eagles are local birds of prey in the area and they can keep some of the southwestern color schemes from Coyotes into the design (not that that is a primary concern).

“Utah Golden Eagles”

(Was the old IHL team name)

Maybe too close to Vegas
11 avr. à 21 h 30
Respect Mike Grier
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 2,600
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
utah-hockey-branding-concepts-v0-aqgblrotvsfc1.jpg?width=1000&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=2b3d7431195d493286d8e08888c3205dfdb8c6fd

This has got to be the best concept I've seen for an NHL team kit. Love the colours, hope we see something like this for the branding of the Utah team

I agree, these were definitely my favorite too. Kinda in love with them honestly. Colors are great!
11 avr. à 21 h 52
Rejoint: janv. 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 483
Well, penguins move into the abandoned wildcard slot and now have the math to control their own destiny.

Did not see that coming.
11 avr. à 21 h 56
Ridley Grieg one on one with Kucherov, seconds left in it, makes the best decision. Just grab Kuch's stick and rip it out his hands.
11 avr. à 22 h 22
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 11 avr. à 22 h 54
Matthews gonna do what he did 2 years ago vs. DET aint he lul

But instead of 60 we gonna see 70 HNIC
12 avr. à 0 h 7
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Rejoint: juill. 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 22,762
You say this... But you have to remember; goalies just started wearing masks, getting the puck off the ice basically meant a goal...

Grant Fuhr won the Vezina while posting an .881... Jack Campbell, this season, had an .873 and was called unusable....

Everyone's faster, stronger and more athletic... Which is why defence is more effective...

It's a different game now then it was before... It's fair to try and use a model to see what a 66 goal season in 23-24 would be equal to (based on rough estimates) in '89-90

As for being 100% subjective, how's that any different from the MVP conversation... There's 4 worthy candidates but there's not a deciding factor, which allows people to be subjective...

Sure is a different game. Another is difference is also the size and lighter weight of goalie equipment. Just makes for a "smaller" net.
Saskleaf et Leafsfan98 a aimé ceci.

To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage