Forums/NHL

2023-2024 NHL Discussion Thread #5: The Final Stretch

1 avr. à 23 h 14
Démarrer sujet
Amirov Forever
Rejoint: mars 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 6,073
Quoting: NHLfan10506
Huge get. And took him right from under the noses of a rival too.

No kidding, I thought someone was getting me with a late April Fools joke when I saw the announcement.

Oh well, Boston fans will forget all about Quillan when they get Graf
2 avr. à 0 h 15
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 21,016
Matthews if he stays hot these last few games is 8 goals away from 70 and 4 away from passing Ovie's 2008 season

Leafs have 8 games left probs will be HS the final game so maybe 7 left (TBL x 2, MTL, PIT, NJ x 2, DET, FLA)

Lets see
2 avr. à 1 h 43
Rejoint: mai 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 1,177
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
No kidding, I thought someone was getting me with a late April Fools joke when I saw the announcement.

Oh well, Boston fans will forget all about Quillan when they get Graf

Been trying to come up with a reasonable comparable for Quillan. He plays a lot like Al Iaffalo coming out of Minnesota Duluth, I love his grit and I favor players like him. It’s painful to lose, but if they think they can secure Graf … he probably fills a bigger need in the org.
NorthernLeafsFan05 a aimé ceci.
2 avr. à 1 h 46
Démarrer sujet
Amirov Forever
Quoting: Celtics21
Been trying to come up with a reasonable comparable for Quillan. He plays a lot like Al Iaffalo coming out of Minnesota Duluth, I love his grit and I favor players like him. It’s painful to lose, but if they think they can secure Graf … he probably fills a bigger need in the org.

Feels like a fantastic DeBrusk replacement, and for cheap no less. Graf in Boston will be nasty and I would be genuinely surprised if he signed somewhere other than Boston

Great comp for Quillan too, I get the same impression. Defensively capable, smaller frame, tenacious player.
2 avr. à 10 h 16
Feels like a fantastic DeBrusk replacement, and for cheap no less. Graf in Boston will be nasty and I would be genuinely surprised if he signed somewhere other than Boston

Great comp for Quillan too, I get the same impression. Defensively capable, smaller frame, tenacious player.

Bruins signed Jaxon Nelson to a one year ELC - ATO and assigned him to Providence. According to Mark Divver, they have not been pursuing Collin Graf so losing out on Quillan was losing out on their top choice.
2 avr. à 10 h 56
Démarrer sujet
Amirov Forever
Quoting: Celtics21
Bruins signed Jaxon Nelson to a one year ELC - ATO and assigned him to Providence. According to Mark Divver, they have not been pursuing Collin Graf so losing out on Quillan was losing out on their top choice.

For what it's worth, Nelson is a fantastic pickup and is a real gem himself. Huge frame and produces well, should fill the same niche that they were hoping Quillan would fill. Nelson just seems like a Bruin, which is something Sweeney and co. are real good at identifying.
2 avr. à 11 h 5
Leafs going to Leafs
Rejoint: déc. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 2,996
I was surprised no scrum at the end of the Leafs-Panthers game... Usually, there is one
2 avr. à 11 h 9
For what it's worth, Nelson is a fantastic pickup and is a real gem himself. Huge frame and produces well, should fill the same niche that they were hoping Quillan would fill. Nelson just seems like a Bruin, which is something Sweeney and co. are real good at identifying.

He’s a big / tough kid and I like his defense. I struggle with him because he’s been a disappointment offensively until this last stretch

At 24, he should be dominating college kids. He’s got an NHL frame. He’s good for a FA signing, but I view Graf and Quillan as players that should have been 3rd round picks. Nelson is an interesting flyer for him as a free agent. I’d rate him below Bavaro.

I am curious if they also take a flyer on Riese Gaber whose been at their last two developmental camps since they are walking through a lack of signing possibilities outside of Dyck and Jelvik in this years class.
2 avr. à 11 h 49
Rejoint: juin 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 303
Quoting: Leafsfan98
I was surprised no scrum at the end of the Leafs-Panthers game... Usually, there is one

Because Keefe put Reaves out there in the last 2 minutes (which almost cost them the 2 points).

He made a b-line to Bennett at the end of the game.

The first 2 periods were a ****show from Florida. I think Nashville stole their mojo.
2 avr. à 13 h 36
Leafs going to Leafs
Rejoint: déc. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 2,996
Quoting: MGK
Because Keefe put Reaves out there in the last 2 minutes (which almost cost them the 2 points).

He made a b-line to Bennett at the end of the game.

The first 2 periods were a ****show from Florida. I think Nashville stole their mojo.

Or the Leafs responded to Keefe's comments after the Sabres game: "Lots of things I really liked in the game, and some that I certainly did not like. The things that I liked are what we will focus on the most tonight.
I thought we defended really hard. When I say that, I thought we defended a little too much. The game was a little chaotic. Especially in the first two periods, the majority of what looked like their scoring chances didn’t get to our net because of our guys’ second and third efforts."
2 avr. à 15 h 36
Respect Mike Grier
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 2,600
https://x.com/WaltRuff/status/1775245207308509423?s=20

Scott Morrow "Makar" has signed

the real ones know
zk97, A_Habs_fan, Hurricanes_WPG and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
2 avr. à 16 h 29
torontos finest
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,192
Newfoundland Growlers folded.

The guy who owned them also owned the Trois-Rivieres Lions and both were about to go bankrupt. AFIAK the owner bailed out Trois-Rivieres but let the Growlers cease operations. Sucks for Newfoundland that they got shafted.
KSIxSKULLS, NorthernLeafsFan05, zk97 and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
2 avr. à 16 h 31
WentWughes
Rejoint: nov. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 10,275
Quoting: mondo
Newfoundland Growlers folded.

The guy who owned them also owned the Trois-Rivieres Lions and both were about to go bankrupt. AFIAK the owner bailed out Trois-Rivieres but let the Growlers cease operations. Sucks for Newfoundland that they got shafted.

Yep, it was the only Pro team in Atlantic Canada and now they're gone. Hopefully we see one pop up in NS or NB
NorthernLeafsFan05, zk97 et Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
2 avr. à 16 h 37
Démarrer sujet
Amirov Forever
Extremely disappointing news out of Newfoundland this afternoon with the Growlers ceasing operations. They were an extremely valuable part of Toronto's developmental plans, with quite a few current Leafs having suited up for the Growlers. Sucks for the people of Newfoundland who have lost their only pro team out of nowhere, and also a tremendous loss for the Leafs
Saskleaf et mondo a aimé ceci.
2 avr. à 17 h 23
Rejoint: janv. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 5,289
Extremely disappointing news out of Newfoundland this afternoon with the Growlers ceasing operations. They were an extremely valuable part of Toronto's developmental plans, with quite a few current Leafs having suited up for the Growlers. Sucks for the people of Newfoundland who have lost their only pro team out of nowhere, and also a tremendous loss for the Leafs

Am I forgetting some people? Like Liljegren played one game down there I think and McMann had a cup of coffee... don't recall any other current Leafs playing for them.
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
2 avr. à 17 h 32
Rejoint: mai 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 18,409
Four teams have done quite well already with NCAA signings

BOS
Drew Bavaro, D, Notre Dame (Big Ten)
Ryan Bischel, G, Notre Dame (Big Ten)
Jaxon Nelson, F, Minnesota (Big Ten)
Xander Lamppa, F, Penn State (Big Ten)
Christian Sarlo, F, Penn State (Big Ten)

DAL
Justin Hryckowian, F, Northeastern (Hockey East)
Luke Krys, D, Providence (Hockey East)
Ben Kraws, G, St. Lawrence (ECAC)
Anthony Romano, F, Clarkson (ECAC)
Jack Jensen, F, Augustana (CCHA)
Connor Mylymok, F, Niagara (Atlantic)

FLA
Riese Gaber, F, North Dakota (NCHC)
Cooper Black, G, Dartmouth (ECAC)
Ben Steeves, F, Minnesota-Duluth (NCHC)
Pito Walton, D, Northeastern (Hockey East)
Adrien Bisson, D, Mercyhurst (Atlantic)
Dustyn McFaul, D, Clarkson (ECAC)
Craig Needham, F, Providence (Hockey East)

TOR
Jacob Quillan, F, Quinnipiac (ECAC)
Matthew Barbolini, F, Miami (NCHC)
Mathieu Gosselin, F, Clarkson (ECAC)
Brandon Tabakin, D, Arizona State (Ind)

If Pittsburgh adds Collin Graf (to Jared Westcott and Scooter Brickey), they will jump to top.

Minnesota sounds to be favorite for TJ Hughes and Dylan Anhorn...would jump them to top tier too.

Here are best guys remaining...

F: Collin Graf, F, Quinnipiac (ECAC); TJ Hughes, F, Michigan (Big Ten); Christian Fitzgerald, F, Wisconsin (Big Ten); Jack Williams, F, Northeastern (Hockey East); Carter Wilkie, F, RIT (Atlantic)*; Gabriel Seger, F, Cornell (ECAC); Joey Larson, F, Michigan State (Big Ten); Luke Grainger, F, Western Michigan (NCHC); Karsen Dorwart, F, Michigan State (Big Ten); Ondrej Psenicka, F, Cornell (ECAC); Dylan Wendt, F, Western Michigan (NCHC); Josh Eernisse, F, Michigan (Big Ten); Garrett Schifsky, F, Michigan (Big Ten); Carter King, F, Denver (NCHC); Liam McLinskey, F, Holy Cross (Atlantic); Jack Musa, F, Mass-Amherst (Hockey East); Dalton Bancroft, F, Cornell (ECAC); Lynden Breen, F, Maine (Hockey East)

D: Dylan Anhorn, D, St. Cloud State (NCHC); Zach Bookman, D, Merrimack (Hockey East); Jacob Bengtsson, D, Boston College (Hockey East); Colton Huard, D, New Hampshire (Hockey East); Tim Lovell, D, Arizona State (Ind)*; Evan Murr, D, Minnesota State (CCHA)

G: Victor Ostman, G, Maine (Hockey East); Kyle McClellan, G, Wisconsin (Big Ten); Blake Pietila, G, Michigan Tech (CCHA)

(* transfer portal)
2 avr. à 17 h 41
Rejoint: juin 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 122
Quoting: aadoyle
Muzzin trade was fine. Who could have within 2 years a predicted PLD cross check to his back would lead to an early career exit. That one play started his spiral to permeant LTIR. He was one of the better Dman in the NHL and we still wish we could have him back over the cap relief. Durzi is an offensive minded Dman, The guy LA drafted with the pick = bust, and Grundstrom's a in and out bottom 6 guy.

And why trade a 40 goal scoring JVR when you were having a competitive season?.

A lot is just conjecture.

TOR had Matthews, Marner, Kadri, Nylander, Rielly, Bozak, JVR, Anderson, etc. What mainly ****ed them was Lou and Babcock being to conservative that was the year to go aggressive at the TDL in the time the boys were on their ELC's and Babcock never made adjustments

Rangsey aint wrong as lady luck has not been kind to them in many playoff series making em look cursed.

Notables: Muzzin and JT injuries, Kadri getting suspended b2b, refs ignoring a call leading to a game winner, etc.

I know Bjornfot is a bust, but:
1-just because he became a bust in LA doesn't mean he would've become a bust in TOR as well
2-the Leafs wouldn't have necessarily drafted him in 2019

Look at the playoff results bud:

2017: Round 1 loss to the Caps in 6
2018: Round 1 loss to the Bruins in 7 after trailing 1-3
2019: Round 1 loss to the Bruins after leading 1-0, 2-1 and 3-2
2020: Play-In Round loss to a team with 3 times less talent, shutout twice
2021:Round 1 choke to a lesser team after leading 3-1
2022: Round 1 loss to TB after leading 3-2
2023: Round 1 win to TB in 6 and Round 2 loss in 5 to FLA

The fact is that, in the playoffs, the Leafs completely stalled after 2018. They only started progressing again in 2023. Is this normal? Why did this happen? Why did their organizational development stall begin at precisely the season they started going all in with a team that wasn't ready?
2 avr. à 17 h 45
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 2 avr. à 18 h 6
Quoting: WJC_Enthusiast
I know Bjornfot is a bust, but:
1-just because he became a bust in LA doesn't mean he would've become a bust in TOR as well
2-the Leafs wouldn't have necessarily drafted him in 2019

Look at the playoff results bud:

2017: Round 1 loss to the Caps in 6
2018: Round 1 loss to the Bruins in 7 after trailing 1-3
2019: Round 1 loss to the Bruins after leading 1-0, 2-1 and 3-2
2020: Play-In Round loss to a team with 3 times less talent, shutout twice
2021:Round 1 choke to a lesser team after leading 3-1
2022: Round 1 loss to TB after leading 3-2
2023: Round 1 win to TB in 6 and Round 2 loss in 5 to FLA

The fact is that, in the playoffs, the Leafs completely stalled after 2018. They only started progressing again in 2023. Is this normal? Why did this happen? Why did their organizational development stall begin at precisely the season they started going all in with a team that wasn't ready?

Muzzin was not there in 2017 and 2018

Came in 2019
2020 was hurt game 2 vs. CBJ
2021 hurt in MTL game 5
2022 Played and was fine
2023 DNP

Again conjecture. There is more than just him

Playoff opponent, goaltending, scoring, coaching all come into play

If it all came down to one Dman they traded for every team would be ****ed lul.

Rangsey be right they just be cursed
2 avr. à 17 h 54
Muzzin was not there in 2017 and 2018

Came in 2019
2020 was hurt game 2 vs. CBJ
2021 hurt in MTL game 5
2022 Played and was fine
2023 DNP

Again conjecture. There is more than just him

Playoff opponent, goaltending, scoring, coaching all come into play

If it all came down to one Dman they traded for every team would be ****ed lul.

The problem isn't merely Muzzin.

Muzzin is more of a symptom than the problem itself if that makes sense.

TOR didn't have pressure in 2017 and 2018 because they were rookies and sophomores, respectively.

Again, they were not ready to go all in in 18-19. They still lacked organizational depth (this is in part due to the Lamoriello/Hunter era btw, I'm not letting Lou off the hook at all here). How can a team sustain itself long term? By building organizational depth, which, again, the Leafs badly lacked.
2 avr. à 18 h 10
Hakuna Matata
The problem isn't merely Muzzin.

Muzzin is more of a symptom than the problem itself if that makes sense.

TOR didn't have pressure in 2017 and 2018 because they were rookies and sophomores, respectively.

Again, they were not ready to go all in in 18-19. They still lacked organizational depth (this is in part due to the Lamoriello/Hunter era btw, I'm not letting Lou off the hook at all here). How can a team sustain itself long term? By building organizational depth, which, again, the Leafs badly lacked.

2018-2019 Leafs

Johnsson-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-JT-Marner
Marleau-Kadri-Kapenan
Brown-Ennis-Moore

Extra: Gauthier, Petan

Rielly-Hainsey
Muzzin-Zaitsev
Gardiner-Dermott

Extra: Oghigenov, Holl

Anderson
Sparks
Hutchinson

Prospects in the system pushing: Sandin and Liligren

Team was deep back then issue was their Dcore and coaching. So where's the lack of depth?

If anything the Muzzin trade was a step in the right direction but it came to late as the Trio's deals were coming up and so the ELC era was over. Should have went in the year prior adding JTM and McDonagh then did the Muzzin trade the following season
2 avr. à 18 h 12
torontos finest
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,192
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
Am I forgetting some people? Like Liljegren played one game down there I think and McMann had a cup of coffee... don't recall any other current Leafs playing for them.

Only four players who played for the Growlers have (or do) play in the NHL: McMann, Liljegren, Brazeau (Boston) and Johnstone (Pittsburgh). ECHL to NHL is very difficult but it's a worthwhile organization investment.

Also this had nothing do with the revenue or travel for the team, the owner was terrible. There's still hope that under a new owner they could be reinstated.
aadoyle et Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
2 avr. à 18 h 14
2018-2019 Leafs

Hyman-JT-Marner
Marleau-Kadri-Kapenan
Brown-Ennis-Moore

Extra: Gauthier

Rielly-Hainsey
Muzzin-Zaitsev
Gardiner-Dermott

Anderson
Sparks
Hutchinson

Prospects in the system pushing: Sandin and Liligren

Team was deep back then issue was their Dcore and coaching. So where's the lack of depth?

Lol, having two prospects when you've got multiple holes at D and you're not (yet) in your window is not enough. Need another one.

Tavares was too old IMO, so you needed 1-2 prospects at C and probably 2 at the wing also.
2 avr. à 18 h 15
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: mondo
Only four players who played for the Growlers have (or do) play in the NHL: McMann, Liljegren, Brazeau (Boston) and Johnstone (Pittsburgh). ECHL to NHL is very difficult but it's a worthwhile organization investment.

Also this had nothing do with the revenue or travel for the team, the owner was terrible. There's still hope that under a new owner they could be reinstated.

Im honestly surprised MLSE didnt get involved
2 avr. à 18 h 17
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 2 avr. à 18 h 28
Lol, having two prospects when you've got multiple holes at D and you're not (yet) in your window is not enough. Need another one.

Tavares was too old IMO, so you needed 1-2 prospects at C and probably 2 at the wing also.

Again if Management played their cards right earlier TOR could have made the JTM and McDonagh trade

Add those two and Muzzin along with JT FA signing and u got

Hyman-JT-Marner
Marleau-Kadri-Miller
Brown-Ennis-Kapenan

Extra: Gauthier

Rielly-Hainsey
McDonagh-Gardiner
Muzzin-Zaitsev

They were to passive during the ELC era of this team. Could have traded picks earlier and filled in the holes sooner

2017-2019 was the prime chance and they let it go as the flat cap forced them to make tougher choices after. Caps going back up and come 2026 JT is off the books.

This is where they need to take full advantage

As in the end cup wins are not always quick look how long it took WSH and TBL to get. Cause in the end competitive teams do not always rely on prospects. Often they are traded away with picks to add help now

TBL traded Foote + picks for Goodrow + Coleman wise move

VGK from their start till now where be the prospects?
2 avr. à 18 h 28
WentWughes
Rejoint: nov. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 10,275
Im honestly surprised MLSE didnt get involved

They'll probably add a 3rd team in Ontario now. It's better that way for them anyways.
NorthernLeafsFan05 et aadoyle a aimé ceci.

To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage