SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Toronto Maple Leafs signed William Nylander (8 Years / $11,500,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
Le graphique a été masqué

Options de sondage

8 janv. à 16 h 2
Rejoint: déc. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 3,523
This is exactly why you should sign players before the massive offensive season occurs. That's easier said than done, but it's done all the time. Waiting 3 months into the season cost the Leafs about 15-20% more AAV. If they have the confidence that he's worth this much over the next 8 years, then why didn't they have the confidence to sign him for less during the summer? And yes, I highly doubt he'd have turned down $9.5M or $10M AAV for 8 years before this season started.
Aebexz et SlavaDark a aimé ceci.
8 janv. à 16 h 10
Rejoint: déc. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 3,523
My thoughts are that the Leafs ride it out over the next 2 seasons with Tavares and Marner playing out their current contracts. Then, they'll have the option to rethink their top-heavy strategy. Only then, will the big 4 become the big 3 and they can build a true Cup contender with depth. And if Marner's next contract has a floor of 13% of total cap, then maybe the big 4 becomes. the big 2.
8 janv. à 16 h 20
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 855
Quoting: Saskleaf
Surprisingly it’s not as bad as you’d think. Nylanders raise is more or less covered by the rising cap. But that doesn’t change the fact that it’s an overpay.

He's on pace for almost exactly 120 points. He would have gotten $12 million on the free market, maybe more.
8 janv. à 16 h 29
Rejoint: janv. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 2,275
The Leafs overpaid again. Signed Nylander at his absolute peak value for about a million more than they should have.
SlavaDark a aimé ceci.
8 janv. à 16 h 39
torontos finest
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,192
My thoughts on this signing:

A) I'm happy he's back and he signed for 8 years. It's been irritating that the big guys aren't going for max terms with this team, so Nylander and Rielly committing long term says a lot.
B) I don't care about the NMC. Every UFA is getting one.
C) 11.5 million comparably is more than what Nylander is expected to provide and it's entirely because of his production this season. In the offseason you were looking at maybe a 10 million AAV maximum. It's extremely frustrating that his cap hit % came in higher than Pastrnak and Huberdeau. You'd need a very convincing argument he was better than those two pre-contract signing.
D) As for the future cap, Toronto will figure it out. I'm less concerned with Nylander making 11.5 than I am with Brad giving guys like Kampf and Klingberg significant money to be burdens to the roster.
E) I have some strong opinions on the hard cap but they will not go over well here because the Leafs are burdened the most by it currently.
trademaster20 a aimé ceci.
8 janv. à 16 h 39
Leafs going to Leafs
Rejoint: déc. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 2,948
Quoting: Newgod77
Toronto expecting Minten and Cowan to make significant contributions next year

Minten should, he used up half of his 10 games this year, so should slot in at 3C

Using that, I have created a team that distributed the money to each spot where they need to go (Players are the ideal targets) here: https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/4800692

The issue is though that it makes any TDL acquisition in 25 very hard to do

Quoting: AK50
On one hand, good for Toronto that he’s sticking around, arguably their best guy in the postseason and fits great on the team. On the other hand, 11.5 is way too much. If he signed for 4 years, fine, but this is a terrible contract considering it takes him well into his mid 30s meaning they have to pay for his decline. This contract will sets a bad precedent as well for other players(I’m sure Petey’s looking at this deal), Leaf’s lose. If they couldn’t have signed him for under 11, I woulda dealt him to a place where he would’ve(team in a tax-free state).
IMO, pretty reminiscent of Huberdeau’s deal. But At least he’ll be a top 15 winger for at least half of this deal.

He's not been though... He's had 1 playoff round over a PPG all of his career and he's 2 years older than Matthews...

I'm genuinely concerned for how the Leafs will look 2-3 years down the line as their prospect pool is thin beyond Minten and Cowan
Newgod77 a aimé ceci.
8 janv. à 16 h 42
Good nerd
Rejoint: juin 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 419
Modifié 9 janv. à 0 h 20. Raison: Fixed spelling error
Quoting: Random2152
First of all, Nylander is worth 11 mil. I've been saying this for a long time now. If you don't think so - you're simply wrong

Second, he signed at a similar cap% as comparable wingers at the time like Benn, Stone, and Perry. Don't let the raw number fool you this isnt out of the blue.

Third and most importantly, Trev completely ****ed this negotiation up. If they were scared Nylander might walk - the time to "cave in" was in the summer. As it stands Nylander is at peak value and there is no reason to cave now 30 some odd games after refusing to go above 9mil. They should have waited out the year and let Reinhart get a comparable deal or let Willie cool off. Even if he didn't they could always just pay him this in June no problem. No one in the league can match 92 million dollars!

There was no risk!

What a horrible GM Trev has turned out to be. Worst fears confirmed about him

Fourth, I am very exited to have Willie be a life long leaf. Amazing player who has the perfect mentality for the market. Ideal Leaf and for that reason its still a good deal even with Trev being a panicky idiot.

I expect CF to vote it down. They also voted down both Matthews deals so that should tell you how little you should value that

Of course there are the usual worries about deals like this aging but I don't see any reason to suggest the risk is any more than any other comparable star so whatever. Would have liked us to get this down to 5 or 6 years given the aav, but I'll live with it.

GDVC7IAWgAI_jSc?format=jpg&name=small

I figure he will drop down to somewhere around a point per game to a 100 point pace for the next few years, and that's fine for what he will cost

Excellent excellent post. I agree with pretty much everything you said. The man got what he deserved, and Toronto is lucky to have him. Tre really screwed the pooch though, should have done closer to 10m in the offseason and this would have been seen as a huge win at this point in the season. Now, it is a slight overpayment.
Random2152 et AK50 a aimé ceci.
8 janv. à 16 h 49
Go leafs go
Rejoint: avr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 9,192
Quoting: CSStrowbridge
He's on pace for almost exactly 120 points. He would have gotten $12 million on the free market, maybe more.

Yah and his previous career high is 87. Making him the highest payed winger in the league would have been beyond idiotic
seanrushton, AK50, RawDeal and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
8 janv. à 17 h 24
Rejoint: févr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 94
Wow Treliving love's to put his teams in cap hell! I guess the leafs won't be winning for another decade
8 janv. à 17 h 30
Rejoint: juill. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 729
Quoting: Brian2016
This is exactly why you should sign players before the massive offensive season occurs. That's easier said than done, but it's done all the time. Waiting 3 months into the season cost the Leafs about 15-20% more AAV. If they have the confidence that he's worth this much over the next 8 years, then why didn't they have the confidence to sign him for less during the summer? And yes, I highly doubt he'd have turned down $9.5M or $10M AAV for 8 years before this season started.

They screwed up by not signing him right after Aho signed. They had a contract to go off right in front of them and ignored it.
8 janv. à 17 h 35
Rejoint: mars 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 290
Does Nylander deserve 11.5? Yes.
Did Brad Treliving **** up? Yes.
Could they have gotten him cheaper if they resigned him in the summer of 23 or 24? Yes.
Will Toronto win a cup with Nylander? No.
Will it be his fault? No.
rollie1967 et Ghost789 a aimé ceci.
8 janv. à 17 h 38
Rejoint: juin 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 233
Quoting: mondo
My thoughts on this signing:

A) I'm happy he's back and he signed for 8 years. It's been irritating that the big guys aren't going for max terms with this team, so Nylander and Rielly committing long term says a lot.
B) I don't care about the NMC. Every UFA is getting one.
C) 11.5 million comparably is more than what Nylander is expected to provide and it's entirely because of his production this season. In the offseason you were looking at maybe a 10 million AAV maximum. It's extremely frustrating that his cap hit % came in higher than Pastrnak and Huberdeau. You'd need a very convincing argument he was better than those two pre-contract signing.
D) As for the future cap, Toronto will figure it out. I'm less concerned with Nylander making 11.5 than I am with Brad giving guys like Kampf and Klingberg significant money to be burdens to the roster.
E) I have some strong opinions on the hard cap but they will not go over well here because the Leafs are burdened the most by it currently.

What's your opinion on the hard cap?
8 janv. à 18 h 28
Rejoint: mai 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 272
Love this deal as it means the Leafs arent serious about winning the Cup. Another expensive top forward hasnt worked so far, so keep on doing it again! perfect sense. Dont worry about a weak defense and a terrible goal tending situation...that just fixes itself, its science.
RawDeal et SlavaDark a aimé ceci.
8 janv. à 18 h 38
Rejoint: mai 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 18,355

Permit performance bonuses for all contracts and allow their cap hit to be spread over same term as contract. It means some carry-over would apply for eight years…and sometimes would continue for players no longer on roster. Guys would get paid more for performing well, teams would avoid ginormous carry-over in single year, the bigger contracts would go for lower AAV and dead weight would be easier to move (since bad players wouldn’t be hitting bonus thresholds).

That’s my fix.
8 janv. à 18 h 39
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Rejoint: juill. 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 22,687
Quoting: HonestHockeyNYI
‪Seems like the salary cap doesn’t apply to Toronto…and they still haven’t learned their lesson in cap management.‬

Really??? How about the the teams that spend to the cap (or nearly to it) that don't even make the playoffs.
Leafs have managed their cap somewhat differently in the past few year than most team, but doesn't mean they have mismanaged their cap worse than most other teams.
For example the Oilers have 30,6m tied in three players where has it got them.
8 janv. à 19 h 8
Go Habs Go
Rejoint: mars 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 4,091
I'm going to have a tough time adjusting to double digit salaries if everyone is going to get them.

The question I ask is whether this is a player that gets it done regardless of the team around him. I'm not sure that applies to Nylander.
I don't mean to discredit him, but there are bigger threats in Toronto. If there are no Matthews and Marner, does Nylander still produce at that rate? I'm not convinced.
$9M is my limit for that next tier of players which I feel Nylander fits into. Still great, just not on the same level.
RawDeal, SlavaDark et rollie1967 a aimé ceci.
8 janv. à 19 h 17
Rejoint: janv. 2024
Mentions "j'aime": 0
Been one of the most consistent players for the leafs these last years and has really stepped it up to deserve this contract. The cap will be going up in the next few years drastically and everyone saying this is a terrible contract will come back to say otherwise soon. Amazing term of course. Always a risk but the lad is in his prime and is shining so let’s see how this evolves.
8 janv. à 19 h 18
torontos finest
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,192
Quoting: PurpleHippo
What's your opinion on the hard cap?

The NHL salary cap and contract structures a massive hindrance on the sport; the inflexibility of it only rewards teams for undervaluing their players, it restrains teams from being competitive, the contract value of a player absolutely dominates any discussion around said player over everything else and it's grossly in the favour of owners.

Quoting: NHLfan10506
Permit performance bonuses for all contracts and allow their cap hit to be spread over same term as contract. It means some carry-over would apply for eight years…and sometimes would continue for players no longer on roster. Guys would get paid more for performing well, teams would avoid ginormous carry-over in single year, the bigger contracts would go for lower AAV and dead weight would be easier to move (since bad players wouldn’t be hitting bonus thresholds).

That’s my fix.

The NHL needs to look at the NBA for ways to make the salary cap more viable. Bird rights, soft cap with luxury tax, etc. Performance bonuses being applicable on standard contracts too would be a viable addition.
RawDeal a aimé ceci.
8 janv. à 19 h 23
Rejoint: oct. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 69
Not surprised one bit by this deal. I had him making
$11-12M AAV .. maybe a tad more on the open market. Nothing wrong with that Nylander is worth that. The problem Toronto has is they’ve got 4 forwards making WAAAY too much $$$ and not to say they aren’t worth what they’re making but in the modern day salary cap NHL you CANNOT afford to pay 4 guys $10-13M AAV and think you’re going to win… let alone 4 f’in Forwards. The leafs will HAVE to part ways with either Tavares or Marner. Their defense and goaltending is atrocious and has been for a decade. No clue how they’ll get out of this one. Treliving better hope he’s got some magic up his sleeve to figure out the rest of this lineup or else Toronto may have to petition the league and only skate with 14 players during games.
8 janv. à 19 h 29
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 855
Quoting: Saskleaf
Yah and his previous career high is 87. Making him the highest payed winger in the league would have been beyond idiotic

The salary cap is going up by just over $4 million this off season. Idiotic is going to be the standard for a UFA this summer.
8 janv. à 19 h 30
Rejoint: oct. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 69
Quoting: Aebexz
Does Nylander deserve 11.5? Yes.
Did Brad Treliving **** up? Yes.
Could they have gotten him cheaper if they resigned him in the summer of 23 or 24? Yes.
Will Toronto win a cup with Nylander? No.
Will it be his fault? No.

They 100% should have locked him up last summer 2023 after they lost in playoffs. Could’ve gotten him for
$9-10M AAV and saved some $$ for depth players. Their top two Forward lines might be sick but after that they’ll have to fill their roster with a bunch of AHL/ECHL guys making league minimum just to stay under the cap. What a joke. This team will continue to have defensive/goaltending issues forever.
Aebexz, seanrushton et rollie1967 a aimé ceci.
8 janv. à 19 h 46
MOVE THE COYOTES
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 1,549
That's a big overpayment. Off. 4 players. 45 million dollars.
SlavaDark a aimé ceci.
8 janv. à 19 h 48
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 531
turnover in 24-25' is going to be very interesting
Expect Marner is going to get bumped up ~2mil 25-26' when Tavares goes bye bye or takes pay cut
pray to the cap gods (bettman)
8 janv. à 19 h 49
Go leafs go
Rejoint: avr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 9,192
Quoting: CSStrowbridge
The salary cap is going up by just over $4 million this off season. Idiotic is going to be the standard for a UFA this summer.

Yes fair enough but still, Willys good but he’s not THAT good
SlavaDark a aimé ceci.
8 janv. à 20 h 21
Rejoint: mai 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 18,355
The NHL salary cap and contract structures a massive hindrance on the sport; the inflexibility of it only rewards teams for undervaluing their players, it restrains teams from being competitive, the contract value of a player absolutely dominates any discussion around said player over everything else and it's grossly in the favour of owners.

The NHL needs to look at the NBA for ways to make the salary cap more viable. Bird rights, soft cap with luxury tax, etc. Performance bonuses being applicable on standard contracts too would be a viable addition.

Flexibility is key. Don’t think luxury tax works (gap between high revenue clubs and lower revenue clubs is not as high as other sports). For another thread though.
PurpleHippo a aimé ceci.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Chargement de l'animation
Soumettre les modifications du sondage