SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2023-2024 NHL Discussion Thread #2: Early Overreactions

24 nov. 2023 à 13 h 31
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 21,086
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
image0.jpg?ex=657359c7&is=6560e4c7&hm=9f40b22bef0792a9a0baa070479fe4142ca1b1232cca714436abe75004631472&

I love this website

Still remember when Zadorov requested a trade good times good times
24 nov. 2023 à 13 h 45
Leafs going to Leafs
Rejoint: déc. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 3,047
Quoting: zk97
Nathan MacKinnon before his extension: 111 pts in 71 gp - 128 pt pace over a full season
Nathan MacKinnon after his extension: 23 pts in 18 gp (so far) - 105 pt pace over a full season

Connor McDavid before his extension: 108 pts in 82 gp
Connor McDavid after his extension: 116 pts in 78 gp - 127 pt pace over a full season

MacKinnon fell off a bit, but he didn't fall off a cliff lmao. McDavid went up in production. Not sure your examples make sense. Better examples are probably Huberdeau and Gaudreau

Or Nylander after his ELC
24 nov. 2023 à 13 h 50
Ban Price trades
Rejoint: oct. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 6,455
Quoting: yikes
Here’s what I don’t get about EDM and some of their fans.

Let’s take the Pens, Crosby comes in, plays for a few years - they realize this is a winning team (Crosby Malkin aka Connor Leon).

2008 before their first cup they trade a first, and handful more to get Dupuis/ Hossa. During the years 2008-2023

2008 - traded first + assets (prospects / players)
2013 - traded first + assets (prospect / players)
2015 - traded first (Barzal) to EDM (who traded that pick for Griffin Reinhart lmfao)
2015 - traded another first + boatload
2017 - traded a first + assets
2018 - traded another first + more
2020 - traded a first + assets
2020 - traded another first + assets
2023 - traded another first + assets

9 firsts + boatloads more always going all in with Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Fleury etc. I get EDM doesn’t got a Letang/ Fleury (well they internally think they do with Nurse lol) but cmon..

EDM since 2015 (if we don’t count traded Barzal for Reinhart lol)/ McDavids arrival…

Have:
2021 SWAPPED FIRSTS; Wallstedt for Xavier lmfao
2022 SWAPPED FIRSTS
2023 traded first + 2022 pick (Reid) for Ekholm.

I’m sorry, and I know well studied fans like BeterChiarelli may disagree with me. But I think watching a in 8 near 9 years with McDavid, RNH, Leon, Nurse just no goalie - not actually have the ability to buy in.. it’s astonishing. It’s some form of complacency that the team’s management has - that fans don’t want to see the team to try and be fixed now that it’s gotten to this situation. There’s also something rotten within the organization and their misdirection on scouting (pro and amateur) and coaching for their goalies.

I’m a Sharks fan; they were a pinnacle of success for nearly 2 decades and never quite got their cup, damn close though. And not for a second was I ever upset our GM did everything possible to try to win. The Sharks current situation is not result of going all in each year for years: it was the belief they didn’t need to rebuild sooner. But it was not the result of buying in when your team could win.

I don't disagree with your premise here and I personally think that all of the first round picks under Holland should have been traded. Side note, fun thought experiment is consider what the Oilers look like if they took the very next player at each pick. Anywho, it's important at least to consider the following:

When the Penguins won the 2008-09 Stanley Cup, they had 13 players they had drafted themselves on their roster within the previous 10 years (very generous window). 14 if you include Whitney until he was flipped for Kunitz. Of those 14, only 4 were top picks (Fleury, Crosby, Staal, Malkin). That's 10 players drafted in the second round or later making up major parts of the Penguins' depth and crucial positions. Of those names, and unless I'm horrendously mistaken, Jordan Staal would have been the youngest member. Those Penguins teams were not solely reliant on their youth and maintained excellent veteran support. Everyone on that team was in (at least) their third NHL season.

An equivalent benchmark to look at for the Edmonton Oilers would be when they floundered their 2018-19 season, a similar four year window. On that roster, there were 11 drafted Oilers (Brodziak and Gagner fall outside the 10-year buffer). The damage done by the Hall-for-Larsson and Eberle-for-Strome deals were already done and the top talent on the roster was reduced down to McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH, and Nurse (mileage may vary). All of Bouchard, Jones, Puljujarvi, Yamamoto only played partial roles in the season, meaning that the only Oilers draft picks doing anything of value were Klefbom and Khaira. Reider had a miserable season and the Oilers maintained a lack of depth that should never be compared to any of the cup-winning Penguins' roster.

Buying-in has only been one part of the problem, but the drafting and development of the Oilers has been nightmarish since finding Anderson, Lowe, and Messier all in the same draft. Even the back-to-back cup wins the Penguins saw in the mid-2010s was largely in part due to finding Matt Murray and turning him into a very good NHL goaltender for a short period of time. Not outright losing on trades, such as when the Penguins turned Jordan Staal, and eventually a 2016 3rd, into Dumolin and Bonino will really help keep your cup chances alive.

Find me three trades (not just pick swaps) the Oilers have objectively won since drafting McDavid. By my count the Ekholm and Kulak deals have been wins, but you have to go all the way back to February 2016 when Edmonton acquired Patrick Maroon from the Ducks to find the next one.

When you can't draft past the first round (and even then I'm skeptical of their ability to do that), and you virtually insist on losing every trade you make (they did break even on a few by my eye), you won't survive to win a Stanley Cup. The Oilers have done everything possible to get in their way and all we're left with in their wake is an Eric Andre "Who Killed Hannibal" meme.
yikes, ricochetii, Saskleaf and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
24 nov. 2023 à 14 h 2
JimmyPaek
Rejoint: avr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 1,181
Quoting: zk97
58 pt pace seems like breaking out to me considering he's totaled 91 points in seasons prior

And that confirms his position as a draft bust. He is his generation’s Daigle.
24 nov. 2023 à 14 h 4
JimmyPaek
Quoting: ricochetii
People get so irate. It's not like it's going to happen just because it gets posted a lot. We aren't willing trades into existence by proposing them. XD

A couple of off the wall Pens fans are losing their minds over on Armchair GM. I’d pay them little attention as they aren’t the usual decent Pens fans on this site.
ricochetii a aimé ceci.
24 nov. 2023 à 14 h 4
torontos finest
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,197
Quoting: aadoyle
Still remember when Zadorov requested a trade good times good times

earlier this week there was a list of like 20 oilers acgms in a row. people are relentless.
24 nov. 2023 à 14 h 39
EklundCelebriniSmith
Rejoint: sept. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 12,844
Modifié 24 nov. 2023 à 14 h 48
Quoting: BeterChiarelli
I don't disagree with your premise here and I personally think that all of the first round picks under Holland should have been traded. Side note, fun thought experiment is consider what the Oilers look like if they took the very next player at each pick. Anywho, it's important at least to consider the following:

When the Penguins won the 2008-09 Stanley Cup, they had 13 players they had drafted themselves on their roster within the previous 10 years (very generous window). 14 if you include Whitney until he was flipped for Kunitz. Of those 14, only 4 were top picks (Fleury, Crosby, Staal, Malkin). That's 10 players drafted in the second round or later making up major parts of the Penguins' depth and crucial positions. Of those names, and unless I'm horrendously mistaken, Jordan Staal would have been the youngest member. Those Penguins teams were not solely reliant on their youth and maintained excellent veteran support. Everyone on that team was in (at least) their third NHL season.

An equivalent benchmark to look at for the Edmonton Oilers would be when they floundered their 2018-19 season, a similar four year window. On that roster, there were 11 drafted Oilers (Brodziak and Gagner fall outside the 10-year buffer). The damage done by the Hall-for-Larsson and Eberle-for-Strome deals were already done and the top talent on the roster was reduced down to McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH, and Nurse (mileage may vary). All of Bouchard, Jones, Puljujarvi, Yamamoto only played partial roles in the season, meaning that the only Oilers draft picks doing anything of value were Klefbom and Khaira. Reider had a miserable season and the Oilers maintained a lack of depth that should never be compared to any of the cup-winning Penguins' roster.

Buying-in has only been one part of the problem, but the drafting and development of the Oilers has been nightmarish since finding Anderson, Lowe, and Messier all in the same draft. Even the back-to-back cup wins the Penguins saw in the mid-2010s was largely in part due to finding Matt Murray and turning him into a very good NHL goaltender for a short period of time. Not outright losing on trades, such as when the Penguins turned Jordan Staal, and eventually a 2016 3rd, into Dumolin and Bonino will really help keep your cup chances alive.

Find me three trades (not just pick swaps) the Oilers have objectively won since drafting McDavid. By my count the Ekholm and Kulak deals have been wins, but you have to go all the way back to February 2016 when Edmonton acquired Patrick Maroon from the Ducks to find the next one.

When you can't draft past the first round (and even then I'm skeptical of their ability to do that), and you virtually insist on losing every trade you make (they did break even on a few by my eye), you won't survive to win a Stanley Cup. The Oilers have done everything possible to get in their way and all we're left with in their wake is an Eric Andre "Who Killed Hannibal" meme.

Yeah that’s why I didn’t want to include the actual drafting in my post because you’ve been on it for a while (that’s why I put a sentence about the goalie coach/ scouting).

But it’s certainly a weird situation - that no one with a voice has been able to make any change or is just negligent like everyone else.

Most fans (I believe I was too but I can’t remember lol) knew Chiarelli into Holland was tomato tomatoe. And like you’ve addressed not only has the drafting been bad - the overall scouting for both pros and below have been questionable if we’re generous; abysmal if we’re being honest. Plus the goalie saga you’ve highlighted before. It’s just mind blowing the guy who’s spending hundreds of millions on the team hasn’t got one voice in his circle to right the ship or anyone else on the staff for that matter.

Broken record incoming - but I talked about this one another Oilers post. And this is a conversation worth having.

Rebuttal with me; it’s welcomed
I’ll tattoo this on me lmao.

Name a trade worse since 2021 that has had worse consequences then Holland trading for Xavier/ not selecting Wallstedt.

Holland essentially trading Wallstedt (if we dumb it down), is the single worst trade across the ENTIRE LEAGUE. It has had irreversible consequences on the Oilers organization and potentially has yet to fully develop into the teeming, retched monster it could become.

By not selecting Wallstedt -> the Oilers made 3 unforgivable sins, and it’s all on Holland + the Scouts who allowed it or forced it.

1) Not selecting the BPA
- For an organization with a poor drafting record; they made a boneheaded decision of not only trying to right their past wrongs. But continue to slam their heads into a wall. The BPA (Wallstedt had a franchise tag from many experts) and they passed for a forward they realistically never will need.

2) The biggest SIN, they did not fill a void, and instead created a black hole
- By not addressing their evident goalie issues, the Oilers CONTINUED, to be braindead, and did not select the best goalie (imo) we’ve seen in years (I like him more the Knight and Askarov). Not only does this mean they did not select to fill a gaping hole, but they also consequently made the hole bigger by knocking over a set of dominoes that led to signing Campbell.

If the Oilers selected Wallstedt - plain and simple; the Oilers not only would have a solution to their goaltending dilemma but also Wallstedt would also be ready by this TDL if not next year. (maybe they would have rushed and broken)

(To also clarify, I would certainly bet Wallstedt would hire or have his own pro coach like many elite pros. And to not allowing rushing or breaking but we’ll never know)

This also would have made signing Campbell unnecessary. Skinner and Smith hold it down, then Smith is replaced with a backup until Wallstedt is ready.

By not selecting Wallstedt, the Oilers essentially selected Campbell for 5m x long term.

3) Didn’t fire the entire management staff who passed on Wallstedt the moment they made the decision
- self explanatory, you let these baffoons keep running your team, while a team with Fleury and good goaltending said (WELL WHY THE F*** WOULD WE NOT WANT WALLSTEDT).
And now we’re seeing that same staff walk into 2023 with the same team as last year like they didn’t need fixes - thought they were the Tampa Bay Lightning “Let’s Run It Back!!!”. And well, the Oilers dirty flaws are all showing at once.
BeterChiarelli a aimé ceci.
24 nov. 2023 à 15 h 15
torontos finest
REAVES GOAL
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
24 nov. 2023 à 15 h 26
Amirov Forever
Rejoint: mars 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 6,096
Quoting: HockeyScotty
Was it cap compliant?

Yup, ~525k to spare
HockeyScotty a aimé ceci.
24 nov. 2023 à 15 h 28
Démarrer sujet
Bedard23
Rejoint: mai 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 4,487
Hey Luke, is Ryan Reaves scoring on your team not enough of an alarm bells for you to do anything?
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
24 nov. 2023 à 15 h 49
Respect Mike Grier
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 2,605
oh look Blue Jackets up 2-1 against the Devils.

Gaudreau has an assist, 3rd point in last 4 games.

crazy what a bit of confidence can do for a team.
24 nov. 2023 à 15 h 51
Go Habs Go
Rejoint: mars 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 4,091
Quoting: edeangel84
A couple of off the wall Pens fans are losing their minds over on Armchair GM. I’d pay them little attention as they aren’t the usual decent Pens fans on this site.

Not just in the Pens/Anderson trades. Happens every time someone (anyone) drops a hint of a trade idea and then there's a bunch of variations on it.
It's not something to get upset about.
edeangel84 a aimé ceci.
24 nov. 2023 à 15 h 51
JimmyPaek
Quoting: mondo
REAVES GOAL

Stanley Cup will be paraded down Dundas street shortly!!
24 nov. 2023 à 15 h 52
JimmyPaek
Quoting: ricochetii
Not just in the Pens/Anderson trades. Happens every time someone (anyone) drops a hint of a trade idea and then there's a bunch of variations on it.
It's not something to get upset about.

Josh Anderson trades really get people going too.
ricochetii a aimé ceci.
24 nov. 2023 à 16 h 11
Rejoint: juin 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 970
Avs are going to be without Nathan MacKinnon (Foot injury from blocked shot vs Canucks) and Sam Girard (appears to be chronic headaches) for at least tonight but possibly longer.
24 nov. 2023 à 16 h 42
Démarrer sujet
Bedard23
Rejoint: mai 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 4,487
Toronto to the shock of nobody, blows a 3-0 lead to the ****ing blackhawks
24 nov. 2023 à 16 h 45
Hakuna Matata
Big 4 really decided to take a nap against a lottery team again

Now granted Willy's breakaway was the one wow factor that im still surprised didnt go in

But still they just dont play like they want it when they go up against non playoff teams
24 nov. 2023 à 16 h 47
Quoting: IconicHawk

Quoting: aadoyle
Big 4 really decided to take a nap against a lottery team again

Now granted Willy's breakaway was the one wow factor that im still surprised didnt go in

But still they just dont play like they want it when they go up against non playoff teams

Watching them blow that game and Edmonton keeping their foot on the Caps throat made me think that the Eye of Sauron is about to shift back to TML defense/netminders again.
24 nov. 2023 à 16 h 49
Rejoint: août 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 12,105
People were really calling Byfield a bust at 20 YO…
24 nov. 2023 à 16 h 53
Quoting: Db1899
People were really calling Byfield a bust at 20 YO…

I just flipped over to that game and there are 4 Kings in the penalty box and 3 Ducks and I've been watching for 5 minutes and still no idea what is going on and no actual hockey being played.
Db1899 a aimé ceci.
24 nov. 2023 à 16 h 55
I just flipped over to that game and there are 4 Kings in the penalty box and 3 Ducks and I've been watching for 5 minutes and still no idea what is going on and no actual hockey being played.

And now Adrian Kempe is playing Defense haha
24 nov. 2023 à 17 h 2
torontos finest
toronto's been horrible at keeping leads and closing out games. only half their wins have come in regulation.

thinking they should give woll a good run of games to see if he's the real deal; samsonov hasn't be completely reliable this year.
24 nov. 2023 à 17 h 9
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 24 nov. 2023 à 17 h 20
Quoting: mondo
toronto's been horrible at keeping leads and closing out games. only half their wins have come in regulation.

thinking they should give woll a good run of games to see if he's the real deal; samsonov hasn't be completely reliable this year.

To me it's a combo of big 4 not trying and defense still having holes

Lagesson-Timmins ew

Big 4 quiet

Like at least the bottom 6 was fun

But yea to me these guys need to be held accountable

A good benching would be fun
24 nov. 2023 à 17 h 21
Hakuna Matata
Watching them blow that game and Edmonton keeping their foot on the Caps throat made me think that the Eye of Sauron is about to shift back to TML defense/netminders again.

Big 4 not showing up + sloppy defense + leaving the goalie to dry = playing lottery team

Honestly wish Keefe had the balls to start benching but he just cant

He did it twice and one was only for 10mins
24 nov. 2023 à 17 h 29
Amirov Forever
Rejoint: mars 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 6,096
Quoting: IconicHawk

Actually it was a 3 - 1 lead
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.

To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question: