SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Toronto Maple Leafs signed Auston Matthews (4 Years / $13,250,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
Le graphique a été masqué

Options de sondage

23 août 2023 à 19 h 13
Just Keep Swimming
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 5,595
Quoting: drambui
lets be real though, the numbers are only in your favor because covid and the flat cap happened. it.turned out well for the leafs. im not saying this is a bad contract thougt, he like what he signed for.

And the Leafs got screwed by the flat cap through the last deals.
You play the cards you have - This is a great deal
23 août 2023 à 19 h 14
Leafs going to Leafs
Rejoint: déc. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 2,948
Quoting: svensk_forskare
once again leafs players show they are selfish. is he worth this much, sure, especially when it will expire before he ages out of his prime.
but the culture there is so self-centered with all these big contracts, no wonder they cant manage to keep guys like bunting and kerfoot, no room for any depth

I thought Kerfoot was supposed to be a cap dump
23 août 2023 à 19 h 21
Hockey IQ
Rejoint: mai 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 1,484
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
4 years lol

Quoting: HockeyManiac95
Wth? Y'all are already in cap hell and this happens?

And only 4 years?

Quoting: BroadwayBlueshirts
Ok, time to move the Coyotes

Quoting: Wqrrior
Avs fans have got to be really pleased with the MacKinnon contract after seeing this.

Half the term, more money for an arguably worse player.

Quoting: beantownboy17
Get paid now, then sign a long deal in ARZ for a little less and make them relevant. Still won't win a cup with the Leafs

Quoting: justaBoss
voted yes, simply because it could be a lot worse.

OVERRATED. He should not be the highest paid player in the NHL. He and the leafies will never win a cup bc he’s more concerned with making as much $ as humanly possible.
HockeyManiac95 et V123 a aimé ceci.
23 août 2023 à 19 h 25
Rejoint: févr. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 769
Quoting: CameronSquires
People just say no bc it’s the Leafs. I’m happy with it

People say no because he will be the highest paid player in the league. That is never a good deal.

Tage will make $7.1 and Cozens $7.1.

Those are good deals. AM making almost the same as them combined is a terrible deal.
NARC311, M_Swann et Luguber a aimé ceci.
23 août 2023 à 19 h 25
HonestHockeyNYI
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 278
So the Leafs would rather handcuff themselves instead of using that money to shore up the depth and blue line…have fun with that.
23 août 2023 à 19 h 26
Rejoint: nov. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 2,223
I hear this is a sign and trade, the trade will be announced tonight.
Pens3lieve et NARC311 a aimé ceci.
23 août 2023 à 19 h 32
Hockey IQ
Quoting: AK50
Too much for the term. IMO, this isn’t a good contract for the team, depth wins cups, not 3 guys making 42% of the team budget. Bad move. If it was 6+ years, I’d say it’s fair cuz the cap’ll go up.

Quoting: CSStrowbridge
He has never scored more than 11 points in the playoffs. He isn't worth the most expensive contract in the league.

Quoting: ARMCHAIRGMOFTHEYEAR
Too add to this I think we're in for 2 more offseasons of record setting contracts with Drai and McDavid, and this contract doesn't even start till next year.

Quoting: Devil
4 more years of playoff disappointments

Quoting: Missouri
Matthews highest paid nhl player now Huh? McDavid next contract going to be in the 15MIL mark.

I’d love to see a study on teams that win cups and how many players they have that take up a high % of the cap and I’d bet the more balanced teams that don’t have mega contracts are more likely to win… I’m immediately thinking of Tampa bay, Pittsburgh, Boston, Carolina, now even New Jersey should be great for awhile… I think it’s great when players can sacrifice some $ so the team can build out depth and acquire other good players…
I’m not even a leaf’s hater, I’m from Toronto, but I just don’t see cups in the leafs future with tavares at 11, AM at 13.25, Marner at 10.9 till his raise, Reilly at 7.5, and Nylander at around 9-10 probably… even with the cap going up any good player they get will want maximum $ unless they’re 37… way too too heavy and I don’t like treliving as the guy to find the bargain contracts that will perform… unpopular opinion for sure but I’ll stand by it until I’m proven wrong
CSStrowbridge, Luguber, AK50 and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
23 août 2023 à 19 h 35
Rejoint: mars 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 144
Quoting: MatthewsFan

yeah i think they admitted the marleau deal was a mistake in trading the pick that became Jarvis just to dump him... thornton was cheap in TOR... youre right to point out too SJ has an equally atrocious if not worse history of contracts too

i love the 4 year term because you wont be stuck with him when he's declining, but none of these guys are willing to shave 1-2 mil off the top of their deals to improve the depth, and it all looks ok on paper, but man another 1-2mil in depth players would go a long way in the playoffs
23 août 2023 à 19 h 35
Rejoint: janv. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 2,275
No discount but Leafs kept the AAV palatable by giving him the term he wanted.
23 août 2023 à 19 h 36
Hockey IQ
Quoting: draft_em_sign_em_trade_em
I hear this is a sign and trade, the trade will be announced tonight.

That would be golden
V123 a aimé ceci.
23 août 2023 à 19 h 37
Rejoint: mars 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 144
Quoting: Leafsfan98
I thought Kerfoot was supposed to be a cap dump

haha crazy how he wound up being worth exactly the same cap hit by the end of the deal... although with that said, his value was higher when he played LW with better linemates than when they asked him to drive a line as 3C... but clearly he wasn't always used in the most productive roles, and that's not his fault... nobody wouldve ever tried to dump him if leafs weren't in perpetual cap hell for the last 4 years
23 août 2023 à 19 h 59
and proud of it
Rejoint: févr. 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 1,605
Quoting: aadoyle
It doesnt kick in till next season when cap goes up 4-4.5m lul

So this does nothing to their cap situation

My bad lol
23 août 2023 à 20 h 1
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 1
Ends up being 12.243125mill/yr for 8 years after ELC. At least it's lower than McDavid and a decent amount lower than the originally reported 13.25mill for 8yrs that was on the table for McDavid before he took a discount.
23 août 2023 à 20 h 2
and proud of it
Rejoint: févr. 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 1,605
Quoting: Pens3lieve
OVERRATED. He should not be the highest paid player in the NHL. He and the leafies will never win a cup bc he’s more concerned with making as much $ as humanly possible.

I don't wholeheartedly agree with that but mostly yeh
V123 et Pens3lieve a aimé ceci.
23 août 2023 à 20 h 12
Mentions "j'aime": 548
Quoting: CSStrowbridge
Next year, Toronto has ~$35 million locked up in three players. They 12 players signed for next season with ~$33 million left to sign the rest of the team, and that's with the cap going up by $4 million. They will be in cap hell for next season at which point they will lose half the team.

You're probably going to be right, depending on what happens with Nylander, but Matthews isn't the guy you get rid of to solve that problem. You get your best player signed, and you make adjustments elsewhere to make it work. This is a raise of only $1.6M, which is probably less than the amount the cap is going to go up, so if they can't afford to keep their core together, it's not because of this contract.
23 août 2023 à 20 h 22
Vegas Repeat
Rejoint: juill. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 761
Quoting: worldwidesensei
People say no because he will be the highest paid player in the league. That is never a good deal.

Tage will make $7.1 and Cozens $7.1.

Those are good deals. AM making almost the same as them combined is a terrible deal.

Matthews now will almost have the same salary as those two combined. I mean Matthews sir, you want to win a cup so why not take a discount. I mean you’ve already maddie lots in your career, do you really need 13 million dollars a season. Take like a 5 million dollar discount. That can go a long long way for your team with signings and ETC.
23 août 2023 à 20 h 25
Rejoint: juill. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 1,559
Modifié 23 août 2023 à 20 h 35
Embarassing

4 x 13,2M roughly translates into 8 x 17M

Imagine getting 1/3 higher AAV than McDavid for 1/3 less production ( in before homers come with "inflation argument" )

Never imagined i will have to give Chiarelli credit about being good GM, but anyone that touches Matthews just pushes that narrative higher.

50 Homers voted GOOD SIGNING already
NARC311 a aimé ceci.
23 août 2023 à 20 h 27
lottery team fan
Rejoint: juill. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 541
arizona in shambles
BigBallsBriere a aimé ceci.
23 août 2023 à 20 h 31
NHL Insider
Rejoint: août 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 711
Nowhere near as good a player as McDavid and Mackinnon yet he asks for significantly more. What a tool
23 août 2023 à 20 h 38
Rejoint: mai 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 3,695
Quoting: svensk_forskare
once again leafs players show they are selfish. is he worth this much, sure, especially when it will expire before he ages out of his prime.
but the culture there is so self-centered with all these big contracts, no wonder they cant manage to keep guys like bunting and kerfoot, no room for any depth

So is MacKinnon selfish? They signed for essentially the same cap percentage (if 87.5 as expected Matthews is lower). You can say 4 years vs 8 and you'll be right, but flipside is Leafs locked in his core years without committing beyond them. 🤷
23 août 2023 à 20 h 41
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 20,962
Modifié 23 août 2023 à 20 h 50
Quoting: HonestHockeyNYI
So the Leafs would rather handcuff themselves instead of using that money to shore up the depth and blue line…have fun with that.

Why do the Leafs need to shore up the blue line when last season they were tied for 7th in XGA at 2.68? with only NYI, NYR, Dallas, Carolina and Boston being better.

This is just silly lul

If any team let a guy like this go to fix their blue line when they do not need it GM would be fired

Ironically Leafs will have the most cap of any competitor next season even with this extension
23 août 2023 à 20 h 41
Rejoint: nov. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 2,223
Quoting: NARC311
Nowhere near as good a player as McDavid and Mackinnon yet he asks for significantly more. What a tool

I think Ovie is the biggest tool, imagine a 36 year old UFA asking for $9.5 million on a 5 year deal.
23 août 2023 à 20 h 42
Mentions "j'aime": 548
One more year probably would have been perfect, but remember when he signed his last contract, everybody assumed he wanted to get out of Toronto as soon as possible, so I’m pretty happy that he’s not going to free agency and they’ve got him signed for the next five years, which are likely to be his best five, at only $1.6M more than his last contract. I get that some people are worried about what it might cost them to keep him beyond that, but if it’s too much, just let him go. By then he’ll have been with them for 12 years. If that’s all they get out of him, I can live with that.
Joe_La_Garnotte a aimé ceci.
23 août 2023 à 20 h 44
NHL Insider
Rejoint: août 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 711
Quoting: draft_em_sign_em_trade_em
I think Ovie is the biggest tool, a 35 year old UFA asking for over $9 million on a 5 year deal.

At least Ovi won a cup before his deal pal
M_Swann a aimé ceci.
23 août 2023 à 20 h 46
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 20,962
For those who say Matthews does not deserve to be the highest paid player should go look at the numbers

He is ahead of Ovie in Goals per games played and nobody else comes close to those two rn not even McDavid and he has only been in the NHL for 7 years

Matthews lead the league in blocked shots last season

He is getting better defensively and soon we may see him PK

No doubt we may see a few more 50-60 goal seasons in him

Money is fine as if he went to open market could have potentially earned more

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Chargement de l'animation
Soumettre les modifications du sondage