Forums/Armchair-GM

Transitioning from rebuilding to competing with caution

Créé par: jonh514
Équipe: 2023-24 Canadiens de Montréal
Date de création initiale: 7 déc. 2022
Publié: 7 déc. 2022
Mode - plafond salarial: Basique
Description
What's going on with the NYR's young players right now should be a cautionary tale for the Habs management. When you take the "rebuilding" tag off of your team, the pressure from the fans and the media are unlike anything our rookies have experienced thus far. It causes everyone, especially the coaching staff, to measure you differently and treat you differently.

Do you think Guhle, Harris, Xhekaj, Kovacevic, Slafkovsky would all be able to handle the pressure Lafreniere and Kakko are feeling from the NYR's fanbase right now? Some of them might, but hearing daily how you are "a bust" has got to be pretty demoralizing.

Habs should wait "as long as possible" before taking that tag off, and should only do it after giving contract extensions to their coaching staff.

Just to be clear. I do NOT expect this team to compete, but I want to give the rookies bigger roles without too much pressure.
Signatures de joueurs autonomes
LISTE DE RÉSERVEANSCAP HIT
2900 000 $
RFAANSCAP HIT
43 362 500 $
67 875 000 $
32 000 000 $
Transactions
MTL
  1. Lafrenière, Alexis [Droits de RFA]
NYR
  1. Choix de 1e ronde en 2023 (MTL)
  2. Choix de 2e ronde en 2024 (COL)
MTL
TOR
  1. Edmundson, Joel
  2. Wideman, Chris
Détails additionnels:
Traded anywhere for fair value
MTL
  1. Ceulemans, Corson [Liste de réserve]
Détails additionnels:
1 for 1 trade of depth for depth
CBJ
  1. Farrell, Sean [Liste de réserve]
MTL
  1. Ristolainen, Rasmus
Détails additionnels:
Habs take a chance on Risto while making room for their young defenders on the left
Rachats de contrats
Repêchage1e ronde2e ronde3e ronde4e ronde5e ronde6e ronde7e ronde
Logo de FLA
Logo de MTL
Logo de MTL
Logo de MTL
Logo de PIT
Logo de VGK
Logo de MTL
Logo de CGY
Logo de MTL
Logo de MTL
Logo de MTL
Logo de MTL
Logo de MTL
Logo de MTL
Logo de MTL
Logo de MTL
Logo de EDM
Logo de MTL
Logo de CGY
Logo de MTL
Logo de MTL
Logo de MTL
Logo de MTL
Logo de MTL
Logo de MTL
TAILLE DE LA FORMATIONPLAFOND SALARIALCAP HITEXCÉDENTS Info-bulleBONISESPACE SOUS LE PLAFOND SALARIAL
2286 000 000 $70 386 666 $1 170 000 $4 195 000 $15 613 334 $
Ailier gaucheCentreAilier droit
Logo de Canadiens de Montréal
7 875 000 $7 875 000 $
AG, AD
UFA - 8
7 875 000 $7 875 000 $
C
UFA - 7
3 362 500 $3 362 500 $
AG, AD
RFA - 2
950 000 $950 000 $ (Bonis de performance3 500 000 $$4M)
AD, AG
RFA - 2
3 362 500 $3 362 500 $
C, AD
RFA - 3
5 500 000 $5 500 000 $
AD, AG
M-NTC
UFA - 4
4 500 000 $4 500 000 $
AG
UFA - 1
4 450 000 $4 450 000 $
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
6 500 000 $6 500 000 $
AD, AG
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 4
1 100 000 $1 100 000 $
AG, AD
UFA - 1
1 700 000 $1 700 000 $
C
UFA - 2
3 400 000 $3 400 000 $
AD, AG
UFA - 2
Défenseur gaucherDéfenseur droitierGardien de but
863 333 $863 333 $ (Bonis de performance420 000 $$420K)
DG/DD
RFA - 2
766 667 $766 667 $
DD
UFA - 2
1 925 000 $1 925 000 $
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Logo de Flyers de Philadelphie
5 100 000 $5 100 000 $
DD
UFA - 4
1 000 000 $1 000 000 $
G
UFA - 1
828 333 $828 333 $
DG/DD
RFA - 1
3 500 000 $3 500 000 $
DD
UFA - 2
2 000 000 $2 000 000 $
DG/DD
RFA - 2
925 000 $925 000 $ (Bonis de performance275 000 $$275K)
DD
RFA - 1
900 000 $900 000 $
DG
RFA - 2
Laissés de côtéListe des blessés (IR)Liste des blessés à long terme (LTIR)
10 500 000 $10 500 000 $
G
NMC
UFA - 3

Code d'intégration

• Pour afficher cette équipe sur un autre site Web ou blog, ajoutez ce iFrame à la page appropriée
  • Personnalisez les dimensions dans le code IFrame ci-dessous pour adapter votre site de manière appropriée. Minimum recommandé: 400px.

Texte intégré

Cliquer pour surligner
7 déc. 2022 à 8 h 56
Rejoint: avr. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 1,079
Take your time rebuilding patiently instead. It’s worth it.

Love,
Devils Fans
jonh514, ColonelX et dannibalcorpse a aimé ceci.
7 déc. 2022 à 9 h 5
Démarrer sujet
HuGo is a Boss GM
Rejoint: déc. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 3,035
Quoting: Tbrew
Take your time rebuilding patiently instead. It’s worth it.

Love,
Devils Fans

Wait... What did I do that was not patient? Trading for Laffy? I thought I was pretty clear that I don't want to compete...

I traded Eddy, Matheson, Wideman in order to make space for Harris, Xhekaj, Barron & Struble to get some consistent NHL reps.

I traded Farrell who is in his last College Year this year and is by all accounts ready to challenge for an NHL spot for Ceulemans who as if next year will have another 2 years of College if he wants them

I traded for Lafreniere because he'll be 21 next year and it's insane to give up on a 21 year old. I believe in the player and think he simply needs a situation with less "win-now" pressure to develop in.

Were you saying any of these moves were "rushing it"?
7 déc. 2022 à 9 h 7
Rejoint: nov. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 6,437
I don't disagree with you, however I do not think that management see it the same way. I don't know how to give some of the kids bigger roles though, Zuke, Caufield, Guhle and Dach are all already playing top roles on the team. Guys like Harris, Kovacevic and Xhekaj aren't more than 2nd or 3rd pairing guys and that is what they are playing. Slaf would be the only one of the kids not playing being utilized to his potential but since he was just drafted 6 months ago that is to be expected lol. Also no way is Kavacevic a 1st pairing guy.
jonh514 a aimé ceci.
7 déc. 2022 à 9 h 8
Rejoint: févr. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 2,825
Jackets decline they aren’t trading young cost controlled RD unless it’s in a package for a 1C. Corson is on Guhle/Barron level as a prospect
jonh514, Ajp_18, Viqsi and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
7 déc. 2022 à 9 h 9
Quoting: jonh514
Wait... What did I do that was not patient? Trading for Laffy? I thought I was pretty clear that I don't want to compete...

I traded Eddy, Matheson, Wideman in order to make space for Harris, Xhekaj, Barron & Struble to get some consistent NHL reps.

I traded Farrell who is in his last College Year this year and is by all accounts ready to challenge for an NHL spot for Ceulemans who as if next year will have another 2 years of College if he wants them

I traded for Lafreniere because he'll be 21 next year and it's insane to give up on a 21 year old. I believe in the player and think he simply needs a situation with less "win-now" pressure to develop in.

No, I think he was agreeing with you lol.
jonh514 a aimé ceci.
7 déc. 2022 à 9 h 15
Démarrer sujet
HuGo is a Boss GM
Quoting: Campabee
I don't disagree with you, however I do not think that management see it the same way. I don't know how to give some of the kids bigger roles though, Zuke, Caufield, Guhle and Dach are all already playing top roles on the team. Guys like Harris, Kovacevic and Xhekaj aren't more than 2nd or 3rd pairing guys and that is what they are playing. Slaf would be the only one of the kids not playing being utilized to his potential but since he was just drafted 6 months ago that is to be expected lol. Also no way is Kavacevic a 1st pairing guy.

Thanks for the response. Here's my thinking:

Guhle should not be playing on the right. It's hurting him whatever we all think of his ceiling.

Harris should not be in the stands. He was playing well enough to hold down a permanent spot. He was actually number 4 to start the year and now he's number 7 in terms of depth because Xhekaj passed him organically and Matheson & Edmundson have been "grandfathered in ahead of him, not on merit but on experience, contract size, and status".

Xhekaj has earned that number 4 spot with his hits, defense, goal scoring, and shooting through traffic. He brings things neither Eddy nor Math do and yet they are ahead of him.

I like how they have managed Slaf. But he needs to stay top 9 now. No more 4th line minutes. He's paid his dues enough.

Lafreniere also would benefit from a low pressure situation. The wheels came off for him when NYR starting talking playoffs.
7 déc. 2022 à 9 h 19
Démarrer sujet
HuGo is a Boss GM
Quoting: SK101
Jackets decline they aren’t trading young cost controlled RD unless it’s in a package for a 1C. Corson is on Guhle/Barron level as a prospect

IMO Farrell has more upside than Barron. I was just thinking Ceulemans was gonna have a hard time finding a place with the Jackets because of the RHD depth and since the team is under pressure to compete soon/now a rookie ready to play in the NHL next season on the wing could be just the thing?

I understand if you are not interested though.
7 déc. 2022 à 9 h 32
GM
Rejoint: juill. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 1,716
I don't think Laffy and Kakko are under that much pressure. First half year last year was really grim but there is a different feel this year. They missed a lot of opportunity yes, but at least they create chances. Gallant even been very open lately that they do not get the same opportunity as some of these other prospects. I think of those points laffy has in total I think like 4 is on the powerplay (total in his career) playing top 9 min that is not awful. Would it be nice if they could go in and dominate at once, of course. But even Jack Hughes took his time and he been in a top 6 position from the get go. So cut them some slack.

Of course I see the beauty in Laffy playing for MTL but we are not giving up on him, and certainly won't give him away just because the MTL fanbase is disappointed in Laffy development.

He is a good kid, done most of his time in the top 9. NYR has bigger issues than Kakko and Laffy not being point per game players right now.
jonh514 a aimé ceci.
7 déc. 2022 à 9 h 34
Démarrer sujet
HuGo is a Boss GM
Quoting: AG_sweden
I don't think Laffy and Kakko are under that much pressure. First half year last year was really grim but there is a different feel this year. They missed a lot of opportunity yes, but at least they create chances. Gallant even been very open lately that they do not get the same opportunity as some of these other prospects. I think of those points laffy has in total I think like 4 is on the powerplay (total in his career) playing top 9 min that is not awful. Would it be nice if they could go in and dominate at once, of course. But even Jack Hughes took his time and he been in a top 6 position from the get go. So cut them some slack.

Of course I see the beauty in Laffy playing for MTL but we are not giving up on him, and certainly won't give him away just because the MTL fanbase is disappointed in Laffy development.

He is a good kid, done most of his time in the top 9. NYR has bigger issues than Kakko and Laffy not being point per game players right now.

Fair enough. I just see a lot of posts for Laffy trades originating from NYR fans. It seems the pressure on them from the outside looking in is enormous. I imagine just walking in the streets people in NYC are giving them hell for not producing just like Drouin in Montreal experienced.
AG_sweden a aimé ceci.
7 déc. 2022 à 9 h 35
Thanks for the response. Here's my thinking:

Guhle should not be playing on the right. It's hurting him whatever we all think of his ceiling.

Harris should not be in the stands. He was playing well enough to hold down a permanent spot. He was actually number 4 to start the year and now he's number 7 in terms of depth because Xhekaj passed him organically and Matheson & Edmundson have been "grandfathered in ahead of him, not on merit but on experience, contract size, and status".

Xhekaj has earned that number 4 spot with his hits, defense, goal scoring, and shooting through traffic. He brings things neither Eddy nor Math do and yet they are ahead of him.

I like how they have managed Slaf. But he needs to stay top 9 now. No more 4th line minutes. He's paid his dues enough.

Lafreniere also would benefit from a low pressure situation. The wheels came off for him when NYR starting talking playoffs.

Guhle playing the right side isn't really hurting his development, he played the right side quite often in jr.

Harris, I agree he should be in the lineup but trying to carry 7 or 8 D men means a couple of guys sit daily. However if we are planning on trading one or both of Eddy or Matheson then they need to play, it is unfortunate but it is what it is.

Xhekaj isn't a top 4 guy IMO, he can fill in occasionally but he shouldn't be there permanently.

Slaf yeah he has earned a top 9 role but again he is here long term and the others need to be showcased for trades.

Laf would be great but I still think that is a pipedream at this point.
7 déc. 2022 à 9 h 48
GM
Fair enough. I just see a lot of posts for Laffy trades originating from NYR fans. It seems the pressure on them from the outside looking in is enormous. I imagine just walking in the streets people in NYC are giving them hell for not producing just like Drouin in Montreal experienced.

Yeah, I don't live in NYR so I don't know. I believe most pressure is from media personally. I wonder how many is he a bust videos there are on Laffy on Youtube? But if you watch the game, it is not that bad (at least this year).
It is not golden either. But NYR need to play the kids if they want to become a better team, I think Gallant sees that too now. If not they will continue to be a mediocre team.

I'm not disappointed in them, but sure I hope for more by now. But 10 games on the top line per season and the rest is on the top 9 is not how you develop players playing top line min their whole career.

Historically NYR are a bad organisation developing forwards, why that is I don't know... unsure
7 déc. 2022 à 9 h 49
we miss leo k
Rejoint: févr. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 5,107
Quoting: AG_sweden

Not gonna lie - if i'm the Rangers and I see Montreal dangling *their* 2023 1st for Laf(plus another pick) I think lonnnnng and hard about it. That's most likely a lottery pick that could get you one of the big boys this year, maybe even the Big Big Boy. It would be incredibly tempting to that swing if that offer crossed my desk.
jonh514 a aimé ceci.
7 déc. 2022 à 10 h 5
Rejoint: févr. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 2,825
IMO Farrell has more upside than Barron. I was just thinking Ceulemans was gonna have a hard time finding a place with the Jackets because of the RHD depth and since the team is under pressure to compete soon/now a rookie ready to play in the NHL next season on the wing could be just the thing?

Jackets already have too many young wingers that they can’t find playing time for even though half the team is injured. Jackets are really only in the market for a 1C or 1RD.
jonh514, Ajp_18, Viqsi and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
7 déc. 2022 à 10 h 5
GM
Quoting: dannibalcorpse
Not gonna lie - if i'm the Rangers and I see Montreal dangling *their* 2023 1st for Laf(plus another pick) I think lonnnnng and hard about it. That's most likely a lottery pick that could get you one of the big boys this year, maybe even the Big Big Boy. It would be incredibly tempting to that swing if that offer crossed my desk.

As a fan I am. Trust me. If that is a top 10 pick it is very tempting. But I like the kid too. So hard decision. Very very tough.
dannibalcorpse et jonh514 a aimé ceci.
7 déc. 2022 à 10 h 7
not a he )
Rejoint: avr. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 4,290

I agree that he's probably going to have a hard time finding a spot, but like the other poster said, he's more likely to be packaged in a deal for an established player at a position of need rather than another team's blocked prospect at a position the Jackets don't need (they've got too many young wings looking for playing time as it is). And no, I don't think the team's under pressure to win now. Gaudreau fell into their laps, but this season was never intended to be a playoff year if you look at the roster or any other move Jarmo made. It was like Panarin falling into the Rangers' lap in 2019, and if we could swing the first overall pick the next offseason like they did after that, gravy.
Ajp_18, jonh514, Viqsi and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
7 déc. 2022 à 10 h 10
Evans truther
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 1,434

Trading assets away and trading for an offensive defender with one of the worst contract in the league who sucks at defending and has 0 point this year is what I think is rushing it (or plain bad asset management in this case). Boring but smart thinking tells you to play Matheson on the right side and not grab a contract with an extra year and quarter of a million extra for an even worst defender.

Under what kind of pressure Lafreniere is under really? He's playing 3rd line minutes (15 minutes average TOI) behind two top scorers (Panarin, Kreider) and looking at previous years he was on a 20 goal pace last year while playing 13 minutes a game and has never been relied heavily upon to score in the top moments. NYR fans would like him to take the next step in his game but this "under pressure" thing is non-sense. In Dach's case, Chicago was a rebuilding tire fire who didn't care to trade away a stalling 21 year old with upside while the Rangers are in the mix for a wildcard spot and a much more cap strapped team than The Hawks while having little personnel to replace Alexis' low cost third line production/upside other than Will Cuylle who's far from ready to play in the NHL. Most of their core pieces are 29 or older and their goalie is right in his prime so I don't see how a pick is going to help them at the moment as it's crazy to think they could even trade the pick away to get a player signed medium/long term under 2 million with Lafreniere's upside.
AG_sweden a aimé ceci.
7 déc. 2022 à 10 h 22
Démarrer sujet
HuGo is a Boss GM

I'm assuming it's happening at the draft and that it's known to be 11-16th OA.
7 déc. 2022 à 10 h 29
we miss leo k
Rejoint: févr. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 5,107
I'm assuming it's happening at the draft and that it's known to be 11-16th OA.

Still - Rangers have their own & Dallas' pick already for this year's 1st (gonna safely assume Dallas finishes better than a top 10 picking team) - I mean, they probably can't get up to #1, but let's hypothetically say they have #12, #18, and #24 - most draft pick value charts would say that's more than enough to get into the top 3. Hell, if you go by Dom Luszczszyn's draft pick value chart, just #12 & #24 (what I'd assume are the Montreal & Dallas picks they've acquired) would equal 9.0 future GSVA - equivalent to the value of the #4 pick. (I know you have your qualms with GSVA but I think it's good shorthand for draft pick value - I haven't really found a draft pick value chart that keeps it as clean & simple as Dom's GSVA chart which you can find here if you have an Athletic sub)
jonh514 a aimé ceci.
7 déc. 2022 à 10 h 31
Démarrer sujet
HuGo is a Boss GM
Quoting: ColonelX
Trading assets away and trading for an offensive defender with one of the worst contract in the league who sucks at defending and has 0 point this year is what I think is rushing it (or plain bad asset management in this case). Boring but smart thinking tells you to play Matheson on the right side and not grab a contract with an extra year and quarter of a million extra for an even worst defender.

Under what kind of pressure Lafreniere is under really? He's playing 3rd line minutes (15 minutes average TOI) behind two top scorers (Panarin, Kreider) and looking at previous years he was on a 20 goal pace last year while playing 13 minutes a game and has never been relied heavily upon to score in the top moments. NYR fans would like him to take the next step in his game but this "under pressure" thing is non-sense. In Dach's case, Chicago was a rebuilding tire fire who didn't care to trade away a stalling 21 year old with upside while the Rangers are in the mix for a wildcard spot and a much more cap strapped team than The Hawks while having little personnel to replace Alexis' low cost third line production/upside other than Will Cuylle who's far from ready to play in the NHL. Most of their core pieces are 29 or older and their goalie is right in his prime so I don't see how a pick is going to help them at the moment as it's crazy to think they could even trade the pick away to get a player signed medium/long term under 2 million with Lafreniere's upside.

Let's be honest. Matheson is not exactly who you want on your team either. The past 2 games he's blown a tire as the last man back which has lead to 1 on 0 scoring chances, one of which was converted on.

He is a high risk/mid reward kind of player. The reason to move him is simply that he is in the way and they are screwing up Guhle's development as a result. It's essentially addition by subtraction. Yes we would be taking a risk with Risto but we would get a player at a position of weakness and if it doesn't work out we can bury him or but him out. I honestly don't care about Risto, but no one will take on Matheson without sending salary back.
7 déc. 2022 à 10 h 35
Démarrer sujet
HuGo is a Boss GM
Still - Rangers have their own & Dallas' pick already for this year's 1st (gonna safely assume Dallas finishes better than a top 10 picking team) - I mean, they probably can't get up to #1, but let's hypothetically say they have #12, #18, and #24 - most draft pick value charts would say that's more than enough to get into the top 3. Hell, if you go by Dom Luszczszyn's draft pick value chart, just #12 & #24 (what I'd assume are the Montreal & Dallas picks they've acquired) would equal 9.0 future GSVA - equivalent to the value of the #4 pick. (I know you have your qualms with GSVA but I think it's good shorthand for draft pick value - I haven't really found a draft pick value chart that keeps it as clean & simple as Dom's GSVA chart which you can find here if you have an Athletic sub)

You know how much I appreciate Dom's work! I do love that chart.
dannibalcorpse a aimé ceci.
7 déc. 2022 à 10 h 36
Go Habs Go
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 29
I say no way to Risto since he's a career -175. Thought the change in Philly would help, but doesn't seem to be the case.
jonh514 a aimé ceci.
7 déc. 2022 à 11 h 4
realwheels_5
Rejoint: mai 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 20
Most of this makes good sense, think the long and relatively tame comments are proof. Only thoughts are if you trade your first for laf you are losing 4 years of team control over a high prospect in a deep draft, and you can find around 200 defencemen better and cheaper than Ristolainen. Patience is definateky the way they need to keep building
jonh514 a aimé ceci.
7 déc. 2022 à 13 h 41
Démarrer sujet
HuGo is a Boss GM
Quoting: wheeler5
Most of this makes good sense, think the long and relatively tame comments are proof. Only thoughts are if you trade your first for laf you are losing 4 years of team control over a high prospect in a deep draft, and you can find around 200 defencemen better and cheaper than Ristolainen. Patience is definateky the way they need to keep building

I agree if the Risto hate is all I have to deal with, I might be onto something!

For Lafreniere, it's honestly more about timing. I think because he has not really exploded offensively yet, we can get him signed for something similar to Dach's contract. I like the full package of size and skill and honestly I feel it's a win if he's playing in the top 6 for his career. Does not need to specifically be a top line winger (though it would be nice).

Obviously since he's a "gars de chez nous", it makes it a little more fun cause the French media will go ballistic.
7 déc. 2022 à 13 h 55
Démarrer sujet
HuGo is a Boss GM
Quoting: Samsquanch14
I say no way to Risto since he's a career -175. Thought the change in Philly would help, but doesn't seem to be the case.

Ok Ok. I say no on Matheson who has been directly responsible for 2 goals against in 2 games.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage