SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2021-22 NHL Off-season Discussion Thread - #2

29 mai 2022 à 21 h 28
Bedard23
Rejoint: mai 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 4,483
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
Joel Armia makes it 3-1 and Finland will likely win gold.

- Claude Julien isn't an NHL caliber coach anymore. Many questionable decisions.
- Who tf picked our goalies. Biggest weakness of the tournament (also Penalties).

Well played Finland, there's a reason you are the best hockey country on the planet.

That Sillinger penalty should’ve never been called
A_Habs_fan a aimé ceci.
29 mai 2022 à 21 h 41
Ban Price trades
Rejoint: oct. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 6,455
Quoting: Juiceman
Well if the Olympics for the best of the best to compete, it kinda does make sense to have the NHL there since they are the best of the best

Except the Olympics was never meant to be for professional athletes. It's merely gotten to be that way due to the massive price tags associated with hosting the events. The inclusion of professional athletes is a very recent phenomena (literally since the 1986) as the biggest names in sport attract more dollars, higher viewership totals, and more revenue from sponsors. The NHL is already a best-on-best tournament, the difference being is that it takes 9 months for each tournament to finish.

If you want a best-on-best based on nationality, then support the World Cup once it's revived as it will likely be NHL-sanctioned.

Val Filppula, a non-NHL affiliated hockey player, won an Olympic gold medal against the best non-NHL affiliated players in the world. There is no asterisk, there is no "it doesn't count", it's objectively what happened. There's no need to diminish that fact.
29 mai 2022 à 21 h 41
Rejoint: janv. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 5,295
Quoting: BeterChiarelli
The Olympics were always intended to be held amongst amateur athletes and the inclusion of professional NHL players ruins the nature of the tournament imo.

Either way, yours is a terrible argument and only serves to take away from those that competed, lost, and won. The past two Olympics were probably the most evenly-matched tournaments since before NHL players were a regular. Winning it today is no less a feat than winning it in 2010 or 2014.

We already get best-on-best hockey every year. By definition, it's the NHL.

That's a fascinating discussion, because the intention/nature of the Olympics and it's 'amateur' status is always talked about with reverence, but really it was just an elitist means of preventing lower classes from participating.
29 mai 2022 à 21 h 50
Ban Price trades
Rejoint: oct. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 6,455
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
That's a fascinating discussion, because the intention/nature of the Olympics and it's 'amateur' status is always talked about with reverence, but really it was just an elitist means of preventing lower classes from participating.

You can easily argue that the inclusion to the point of dedication to professional athletes has only widened that gap.

With the right dedication and a gym membership, any human being - in theory - could have made it as an Olympic power lifter before that paradigm shift. Financial independence to the extent of freedom to pursue athletics is now required en-masse across sports as a whole.
LeafsFanForSomeReason a aimé ceci.
29 mai 2022 à 22 h 29
Rejoint: août 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 12,105
I wonder who’s going to give Kadri a long term contract in a few months
29 mai 2022 à 22 h 32
Démarrer sujet
v5 Minnesota GM
Rejoint: janv. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 4,684
Quoting: Db1899

Boston?
29 mai 2022 à 22 h 34
Quoting: DucharmetheDOMinator
Boston?

Boston usually doesn’t give up bad long term deals but maybe that’s changing with the Lindholm signing
zk97 a aimé ceci.
29 mai 2022 à 22 h 45
Rejoint: août 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 6,060
The Olympics were always intended to be held amongst amateur athletes and the inclusion of professional NHL players ruins the nature of the tournament imo.

Either way, yours is a terrible argument and only serves to take away from those that competed, lost, and won. The past two Olympics were probably the most evenly-matched tournaments since before NHL players were a regular. Winning it today is no less a feat than winning it in 2010 or 2014.

We already get best-on-best hockey every year. By definition, it's the NHL.

Filppula played in the National League in Switzerland this year (which is a pro league too). Why is the NHL the only pro league to be excluded?

I cant agree that winning it in 2022 is as big of a feat as winning in 2010 or 2014. The 2022 olympics was much lower quality since they did not include the majority of the best players in the world. Definitely still a major accomplishment but hands down the 2010 or 2014 gold medal teams would destroy every team that competed in 2022 - it would be like the NHL all stars taking on the AHL all stars

Being evenly matched has no impact on the level of hockey. For an extreme example I can go find a timbits hockey game thats more evenly matched than a TBL vs ARZ series would be, but that doesnt mean the winning timbits hockey team is better/equal to the winner of a TBL-ARZ series (obviously TBL)
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
29 mai 2022 à 22 h 46
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 21,074

Philly or Seattle
Db1899 a aimé ceci.
29 mai 2022 à 22 h 48
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 21,074

Babcock gonna have to write a list about that tears of joy
Saskleaf, A_Habs_fan et zk97 a aimé ceci.
29 mai 2022 à 22 h 57
Rejoint: août 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 8,968
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
Chabot trips the Finnish player and then the Finnish player trips him.... only Canada gets called lmao

I’ve done some reffing myself, and honestly that was horrendous. I was legitimately shocked that after the Chabot hook (which yes, was a penalty, although given the fact that it’s OT of a very important game I’ve been bred as a hockey fan to ignore all penalties in that situation) the Finn didn’t also get called for grabbing his leg and dragging him down lmao. Like, drawing a penalty doesn’t give you immunity to do whatever you want. The play was still active, he tripped Chabot. And this is putting aside that him going down was weak, because the Chabot penalty ended up being hooking and not tripping, but yeah, shoulda been both going off regardless.

I only switched over during the intermission between the 3rd and OT (was watching a recording of the Monaco GP), but the fact that the intermission people were talking about how horrible the refereeing was throughout the game (and especially the 3rd apparently) is actually horrifying. The referees should NEVER be a topic of discussion, and the fact that that was the biggest talking point between the 3rd period and OT of the GOLD MEDAL GAME of the world championship is terrible for the sport and the IIHF. Just brutal.

Also what happened to Driedger? Was he injured?
29 mai 2022 à 23 h 13
Rejoint: août 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 8,968
Modifié 29 mai 2022 à 23 h 23
You can easily argue that the inclusion to the point of dedication to professional athletes has only widened that gap.

With the right dedication and a gym membership, any human being - in theory - could have made it as an Olympic power lifter before that paradigm shift. Financial independence to the extent of freedom to pursue athletics is now required en-masse across sports as a whole.

See the problem with having exclusively amateurs (besides the elitist roots) is that it dramatically lowers the quality. Like, do you want the guy who works out after his 9-5 every day competing, or do you want the guy who does that full time? Even in other sports without established leagues, athletes get sponsored by governments (food, travel, expenses, etc.), other sponsorships if they’re famous enough (like Penny Oleksiak is in every ad), and purses for winning other events on the calendar, because being an athlete at that high of a level IS a full time job, and nobody wants to pay to watch someone only slightly better than them compete.

Also, the NHL is the only professional league that didn’t go. Like, the KHL, SHL, Liiga, etc. all sent players. Just because they’re not in the BEST pro league doesn’t mean that they aren’t professionals, those are all professional leagues.

I will agree there shouldn’t really be an asterisk next to the gold medal, because they won a tournament where everyone had the same handicap (no NHLers) although it would be foolish to pretend that not sending NHLers doesn’t adversely affect North American teams significantly more than European teams (Europeans that aren’t quite high end enough to be impact NHLers tend to go back home and be stars there than depth guys in the NHL [see: Lehtonen, Shipachyov, etc.], as well as go home to play the last couple years [see: Krejci, who would still have been good enough to play in the NHL this year, but went home and represented Czechia at both the Olympics and WC]). On the other hand, despite heavily affecting Canada and the USA’s chances, it does level the playing field among other countries (Finland, Sweden, and Russia are among the traditional big 5, but without NHLers, nations like Germany, Slovakia, and Czechia are a lot closer to those 3, or at least on par with the North American countries). So yeah, there shouldn’t be an asterisk, but the asterisk would just be that it’s different, not worse, just like there shouldn’t be an asterisk next to Tampa’s COVID bubble cup, but some people think there should be, and if there is, it’s just that it’s different and more teams were in the running, although I would argue if anything that was harder than a regular cup, because there were no home games (which is basically the only point of the regular season), and you had to win 19 games instead of 16. But I digress.
BeterChiarelli et yikes a aimé ceci.
30 mai 2022 à 5 h 7
retired
Rejoint: avr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 4,761

habs or seattle
Db1899 a aimé ceci.
30 mai 2022 à 11 h 28
Elliotte Friedman on 32 thoughts talking as if there is a possibility Sandin is traded.
AndrewLadd, DirtyDangle et zk97 a aimé ceci.
30 mai 2022 à 11 h 35
Bo Horvat enjoyer
Rejoint: mars 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,932
Elliotte Friedman on 32 thoughts talking as if there is a possibility Sandin is traded.

He’s gonna look great in an islanders jersey
Db1899 a aimé ceci.
30 mai 2022 à 11 h 46
Go leafs go
Mentions "j'aime": 9,232

Quoting: AndrewLadd

Sandin for Wahlstrom?
30 mai 2022 à 11 h 51
Tintin over 1122
Rejoint: mai 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 10,168
Quoting: Saskleaf
Sandin for Wahlstrom?

That’s interesting
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
30 mai 2022 à 11 h 51
retired
Mentions "j'aime": 4,761

if you can get varly to waive
30 mai 2022 à 11 h 51
Quoting: Saskleaf
Sandin for Wahlstrom?

No, but I would give pick #13 for Sandin
capsfan2121, zk97 et Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
30 mai 2022 à 11 h 55
Bo Horvat enjoyer

I would not
30 mai 2022 à 11 h 57
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 17,403

Really? If the Isles had a 1st around 20 they'd maybe trade that for Sandin but at 13, there's a decent chance you get someone who projects as a higher ceiling
zk97 a aimé ceci.
30 mai 2022 à 11 h 58
I would not

I would at least consider it, Sandin is on a top pair trajectory and he’s one of the better puck movers in the NHL.
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
30 mai 2022 à 11 h 59
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Really? If the Isles had a 1st around 20 they'd maybe trade that for Sandin but at 13, there's a decent chance you get someone who projects as a higher ceiling

If Nazar is there at 13 I wouldn’t do it, but if the choice is between Lekerimaki, Mintkuyov, Korchinksi, Gauthier, or Geekie then I’d rather trade for sandin
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
30 mai 2022 à 12 h 15
Speak of the Devil
Rejoint: nov. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 26,436

Sandin for Sorokin
Saskleaf et A_Habs_fan a aimé ceci.
30 mai 2022 à 12 h 21
Bo Horvat enjoyer
If Nazar is there at 13 I wouldn’t do it, but if the choice is between Lekerimaki, Mintkuyov, Korchinksi, Gauthier, or Geekie then I’d rather trade for sandin

J would mind Lekkerimaki at all, and if Lambert is still there, I want Lambert. If Lekkerimaki, Lambert and Nazar are all gone, I wouldn’t mind trading the pick, but I’d want more value back than sandin. It could be Sandin+ for 13
Db1899 et A_Habs_fan a aimé ceci.

To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage