SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Prospect Discussion Thread #2

14 juin 2022 à 10 h 3
Jinx god
Rejoint: sept. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 13,730
Stankoven finishes number 1 for P/GP in both the regular season and playoffs for the WHL, plus wins MVP and most sportsmanship, not too bad of a season.
SevenLeg, MatthewsFan, zk97 and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
14 juin 2022 à 15 h 2
Rejoint: août 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 8,968
Quoting: TZ11
Then they should've let Nazar play Wing if Gauthier projects to be a Center. Haven't actually heard that take a lot (Gauthier projecting to be a C), or at least I can't remember hearing it. I personally think he'd work best as a Winger. Especially on a team like the Ducks, I think he'd fit into the future top 6 well. Something like this seems plausible:
Pastujov-Zegras-Terry
Gauthier-McTavish-Perreault/???
I'd put Gauthier on the 2nd line because the lines would be more balanced that way (or else there would be three snipers/shoot-first players on a line).

Found the tweet I was looking for:

And a quote from Pronman’s article today:

Quoting: Corey_Pronman
Top 2023 prospect Charlie Stramel and center was injured for the first half of the season, and thus Gauthier, who normally lined up at wing, got extended time down the middle. He excelled when he did and it was when watching a 6-2/6-3 center who can skate, provide offense and play the middle that the NHL hype train really started to build. He played the middle at the All-American Prospects Game as well.

Also Gauthier is a shoot first guy as well.

And I reckon that teams view both Nazar and Gauthier as NHL centres, I haven’t heard as much about Nazar being moved to the wing recently (while I have heard a lot about that for Savoie for example).
TZ11 et yikes a aimé ceci.
14 juin 2022 à 15 h 33
Rejoint: avr. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 1,946
Modifié 14 juin 2022 à 15 h 40
Quoting: Alfie11
Found the tweet I was looking for:

And a quote from Pronman’s article today:

Also Gauthier is a shoot first guy as well.

And I reckon that teams view both Nazar and Gauthier as NHL centres, I haven’t heard as much about Nazar being moved to the wing recently (while I have heard a lot about that for Savoie for example).

Don't know how I didn't see that tbh. Thanks for sharing the tweet. Then I think it depends on the team that drafts him. If for example the Ducks or the Sens took him, I think he'd play Winger in the long run. But if a team like the Red Wings, the Isles or CBJ took him, I think he'd play at C.

I know he shoots first. But that doesn't automatically make him a better C than LW imo.

Since Nazar is also able to play RW, I've heard people say he might be a Winger at the NHL level. But that was, admittedly, quite a while ago and I don't recall who exactly it was.
Alfie11 a aimé ceci.
14 juin 2022 à 15 h 35
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 17,386
Don't know how I didn't see that tbh. Thanks for sharing the tweet! Then I think it depends on the team that drafts him. If for example the Ducks or the Sens took him, I think he'd play Winger in the long run. But if a team like the Red Wings, the Isles or CBJ took him, I think he'd play at C.

I know he shoots first. But that doesn't automatically make him a better C than LW imo.

Since Nazar is also able to play RW, I've heard people say he might be a Winger at the NHL level. But that was, admittedly, quite a while ago and I don't recall who exactly it was.

It's so hard to tell who's more of a natural center than winger, to me Savoie's a center, it's his natural position and he plays bigger than his size but for guys like Nazar, McGroarty, etc, it can be confusing
TZ11 et Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
14 juin 2022 à 15 h 40
Rejoint: avr. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 1,946
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
It's so hard to tell who's more of a natural center than winger, to me Savoie's a center, it's his natural position and he plays bigger than his size but for guys like Nazar, McGroarty, etc, it can be confusing

Exactly. I think with Savoie the team that drafts him should just try both options and see which works best, C or RW. Nazar and McGroarty are both confusing and I think it, once again, depends on the team that drafts them.
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
14 juin 2022 à 17 h 27
Go leafs go
Rejoint: avr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 9,193

Exactly. I think with Savoie the team that drafts him should just try both options and see which works best, C or RW. Nazar and McGroarty are both confusing and I think it, once again, depends on the team that drafts them.

Like don’t forget both of Marner and Nylander were centres in junior.
TZ11 a aimé ceci.
14 juin 2022 à 17 h 29
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 20,960
Quoting: Saskleaf
Like don’t forget both of Marner and Nylander were centres in junior.

Yep

Nylander at times has played C at the NHL level to

People claim Marner also did at one point in the NHL but I never saw it
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
14 juin 2022 à 17 h 32
Quoting: aadoyle
Yep

Nylander at times has played C at the NHL level to

People claim Marner also did at one point in the NHL but I never saw it

Yeah and despite being an excellent RW, every time Nylander has played C it’s pretty much been a disaster, which is why it doesn’t happen anymore lol. Whereas Stutzle started at LW and was just okay, but then he broke out when he was moved to C. Some guys just fit better at a certain position in the NHL, which is why it’s good to experiment, but not try to force things that don’t work.
Saskleaf et TZ11 a aimé ceci.
15 juin 2022 à 15 h 12
Rejoint: août 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 12,096
I would trade him

capsfan2121 a aimé ceci.
15 juin 2022 à 17 h 41
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Db1899
I would trade him

I feel he might be on the team in 2022. As you got to think Lambert might have a different vision of who he wants on each line and may inject some youth in.
15 juin 2022 à 18 h 0
I feel he might be on the team in 2022. As you got to think Lambert might have a different vision of who he wants on each line and may inject some youth in.

I’d be shocked if he made the isles . He’s not close to NHL ready, probably needs 2 years in the AHL
capsfan2121 et A_Habs_fan a aimé ceci.
15 juin 2022 à 18 h 6
Hakuna Matata
I’d be shocked if he made the isles . He’s not close to NHL ready, probably needs 2 years in the AHL

Seems then hes still perfect as Bailey is up in 2 years so a spot opens up
15 juin 2022 à 18 h 8
Seems then hes still perfect as Bailey is up in 2 years so a spot opens up

If Bailey is on the islanders next season I’m not watching 1 game lol. But I agree, Dufour could probably make the isles out of camp in 2 years when contracts expire. He looks like he can be a good bottom 6 wing with PP upside
aadoyle et yikes a aimé ceci.
15 juin 2022 à 23 h 54
Ovchinnikov 137
Rejoint: avr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,982

Love this player. Pls end up on the Leafs
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
16 juin 2022 à 14 h 24
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: MatthewsFan

Love this player. Pls end up on the Leafs

If Dubas trades down I could see it

As rn only 3 rankings I have seen of him have him going late 2nd to mid 3rd round
17 juin 2022 à 19 h 48
Even with the Russia situation I’d still take Yurov as high as 8
Saskleaf et oilersguy a aimé ceci.
17 juin 2022 à 20 h 12
Even with the Russia situation I’d still take Yurov as high as 8

Pretty sure I have Yurov at 7, his passing skills, smarts and defence make him at the very least a good middle 6 guy, has that high potential too
Db1899 et MatthewsFan a aimé ceci.
17 juin 2022 à 20 h 14
Pretty sure I have Yurov at 7, his passing skills, smarts and defence make him at the very least a good middle 6 guy, has that high potential too

Yeah he killed it in the MHL, I think he has the potential to be a top 3 player in his class. He’s like a mix of Kucherov and Buchnevich IMO
17 juin 2022 à 21 h 12
Démarrer sujet
EklundCelebriniSmith
Rejoint: sept. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 12,828

Yeah he killed it in the MHL, I think he has the potential to be a top 3 player in his class. He’s like a mix of Kucherov and Buchnevich IMO

So what’s Yurovs biggest drawback?

I can’t believe it’s he’s Russian as if you’re drafting him you’re already assuming he’s committing to coming over from your draft interviews or communication with him and his team.
17 juin 2022 à 21 h 17
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: yikes

I can’t believe it’s he’s Russian as if you’re drafting him you’re already assuming he’s committing to coming over from your draft interviews or communication with him and his team.

3 things

1. His shot selection and how much power he puts into them
2. His puck handling at times can be questionable
3. His backchecking needs a lot of work

But if he can work on these issues and adapt to NA hockey then he could be a very good player
17 juin 2022 à 21 h 21
Quoting: yikes

3 things

But if he can work on these issues and adapt to NA hockey then he could be a very good player

I only agree with @aadoyle 1st comment. Yurovs puck skills are top 5 in the draft and he’s very good defensively and always hustles when backchecking
17 juin 2022 à 21 h 26
Hakuna Matata
I only agree with aadoyle 1st comment. Yurovs puck skills are top 5 in the draft and he’s very good defensively and always hustles when backchecking

Read 10 scouting reports on him all said puck handling and backchecking are things he needs to work on

But those are easy fixes for a young player.
17 juin 2022 à 21 h 35
Hakuna Matata
Im torn rn between Owen Pickering and Jiri Kulich with the 25OA

As Jiri Kulich if he can develop consistency and bulk up a bit would be a nice 2-way center addition for Toronto who kind of should be eyeing C prospects rn

But at the same time Pickering has all the tools and size to be a solid future 2-way LD for us
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
17 juin 2022 à 22 h 54
Im torn rn between Owen Pickering and Jiri Kulich with the 25OA

As Jiri Kulich if he can develop consistency and bulk up a bit would be a nice 2-way center addition for Toronto who kind of should be eyeing C prospects rn

But at the same time Pickering has all the tools and size to be a solid future 2-way LD for us

The Leafs desperately need a C in the pipeline that isn’t 5’9”. LD is fine with Rielly + Sandin for the next 8 years. Use a later pick on one maybe, but the Leafs are like 3 years from being concerned about potentially drafting a LD in the 1st. The debate should be Kulich vs. Gaucher vs. Ostlund at 25
18 juin 2022 à 9 h 11
3 things

Shot absolutely for Yurov, puck skills not really, defence definitely not, Yurov’s defence is one of his main assets. It’s why he played a bunch of KHL games ( even if he had limited ice time ). I think people just don’t like Yurov because of said limited KHL ice time so he isn’t really able to showcase his full skills

To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage