Forums/Armchair-GM

RNH to Colorado - Who Adds Or Is It DOA

Créé par: Anus_McLeod
Équipe: 2020-21 Avalanche du Colorado
Date de création initiale: 8 juill. 2020
Publié: 8 juill. 2020
Mode - plafond salarial: Basique
Description
My general preference is for the Avs to sign Hall and move out a couple pieces to fit him in. I'm not keen on giving up Byram, Newhook, or Timmins when it's not necessary. That said, it makes for good conversation, and it's not a given that all free agents want to play in Colorado above anywhere else, so here goes.

Who adds in the Avs/Oilers trade? Or are RNH and Byram untouchable?

The logic is that Byram is somewhat expendable for Colorado due to Makar, Girard, and Timmins. It still hurts, but RNH would be a great add and Broberg makes up for the loss of depth at LD in the system.

Edmonton could use an offensive dynamo on the back end. Byram is ahead of Broberg by a wide margin in that area and is probably ready to debut next season. Adding him to a group that will feature Bouchard, Bear, Klefbom, Nurse, and Jones really solidifies things. It can also allow for Nurse or Klefbom to be traded at some point. They lose RNH, which is a hefty price, but it may be worth it depending on how they view Byram. They also gain a solid player in Compher and cap space to pursue a free agent if they choose to do so.

Florida's first is probably a pipe dream, but I'm hoping Tallon loves Zadorov and needs to replace pending losses at the forward position. That one can be modified though and shouldn't be a huge sticking point.

Expansion draft:

Forwards --- MacKinnon, Landeskog, Rantanen, Nugent-Hopkins, Burakovsky, Nichushkin, and Jost protected (Dadonov and Kadri exposed)

Defensemen --- Graves, Makar, and Girard protected (Johnson exposed - waives NMC)

Goalies --- Whoever deserves it is protected

One of Kadri and Dodonov is lost to Seattle, and all of Cole, Calvert, and Bellemare are lost in free agency. Newhook, Bowers, O'Connor, and Broberg fill the voids and allow for continued cap compliance.
Signatures de joueurs autonomes
RFAANSCAP HIT
54 850 000 $
2750 000 $
42 850 000 $
1750 000 $
31 500 000 $
2750 000 $
42 750 000 $
2750 000 $
UFAANSCAP HIT
34 850 000 $
21 000 000 $
Transactions
COL
  1. Priskie, Chase
  2. Choix de 1e ronde en 2021 (FLA)
FLA
  1. Donskoi, Joonas
  2. Ranta, Sampo [Liste de réserve]
  3. Zadorov, Nikita [Droits de RFA]
COL
  1. Broberg, Philip
  2. Nugent-Hopkins, Ryan
  3. Russell, Kris (1 200 000 $ retained)
  4. Choix de 3e ronde en 2020 (EDM)
EDM
  1. Byram, Bowen
  2. Compher, J.T.
  3. Choix de 7e ronde en 2020 (COL)
Repêchage1e ronde2e ronde3e ronde4e ronde5e ronde6e ronde7e ronde
Logo de COL
Logo de TOR
Logo de EDM
Logo de COL
Logo de COL
Logo de FLA
Logo de COL
Logo de FLA
Logo de COL
Logo de COL
Logo de COL
Logo de COL
Logo de COL
Logo de COL
Logo de COL
Logo de COL
Logo de COL
Logo de COL
Logo de COL
Logo de COL
TAILLE DE LA FORMATIONPLAFOND SALARIALCAP HITEXCÉDENTS Info-bulleBONISESPACE SOUS LE PLAFOND SALARIAL
2281 500 000 $79 073 928 $0 $2 925 000 $2 426 072 $

Formation

Ailier gaucheCentreAilier droit
Logo de Avalanche du Colorado
5 571 429 $5 571 429 $
AG, C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
6 300 000 $6 300 000 $
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
9 250 000 $9 250 000 $
AD, C
UFA - 5
4 850 000 $4 850 000 $
AD, AG
UFA - 3
Logo de Oilers d'Edmonton
6 000 000 $6 000 000 $
AG, C
UFA - 1
4 850 000 $4 850 000 $
AD, AG
UFA - 2
1 500 000 $1 500 000 $
C
UFA - 1
4 500 000 $4 500 000 $
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
2 750 000 $2 750 000 $
AD, AG
UFA - 2
2 850 000 $2 850 000 $
AG, AD
UFA - 1
1 800 000 $1 800 000 $
C, AG
UFA - 1
863 333 $863 333 $ (Bonis de performance425 000 $$425K)
AD
RFA - 3
Défenseur gaucherDéfenseur droitierGardien de but
2 850 000 $2 850 000 $
DG
UFA - 3
880 833 $880 833 $ (Bonis de performance2 500 000 $$2M)
DD
UFA - 1
3 333 333 $3 333 333 $
G
UFA - 1
5 000 000 $5 000 000 $
DG/DD
UFA - 7
6 000 000 $6 000 000 $
DD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 3
2 000 000 $2 000 000 $
G
UFA - 2
3 450 000 $3 450 000 $
DG/DD
UFA - 1
925 000 $925 000 $
DD
RFA - 1
Laissés de côtéListe des blessés (IR)Liste des blessés à long terme (LTIR)
750 000 $750 000 $
C
RFA
Logo de Oilers d'Edmonton
2 800 000 $2 800 000 $
DG/DD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1

Code d'intégration

• Pour afficher cette équipe sur un autre site Web ou blog, ajoutez ce iFrame à la page appropriée
  • Personnalisez les dimensions dans le code IFrame ci-dessous pour adapter votre site de manière appropriée. Minimum recommandé: 400px.

Texte intégré

Cliquer pour surligner
8 juill. 2020 à 13 h 36
PLD is a stud
Rejoint: juin 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 107
edm no way
8 juill. 2020 à 13 h 46
Bringer_Of_Snow
Rejoint: avr. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 670
Not even consideration from Edmonton on that. The Nuge-Drai-Yamamoto line was arguably the hottest line in the whole league for the last 20 games of the season (starting from the game they were put together). RNH means a lot to the team, especially since EDM lacks top 6 forward talent. Having that 2nd line threat just opens up that much more space for 97. While Byram is obviously a higher touted prospect, an elite skater like Broberg could easily pan out to have a more successful career. The speculative potential between two highly ranked d prospects doesn't warrant a difference of RNH. Compher is a good depth guy, but he doesn't make up that gap either.
MisstheWhalers et CD282 a aimé ceci.
8 juill. 2020 à 13 h 50
Rejoint: juin 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 3,931
Nothing against anything in that package but nuge is massively important to oilers
MisstheWhalers a aimé ceci.
8 juill. 2020 à 13 h 52
Dr.
Rejoint: mai 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 1,438
Edmonton hasn't had much success with RNH as their second line center. He's only started producing when he got moved to drai's wing, and half of his points come from line1 PP time with mcdavid and drai. It doesn't seem worth it to break up what could be one of the best future top2 pairings in the league with makar and byram for an average 2nd line center and a top 4 dman.
8 juill. 2020 à 13 h 57
Rejoint: août 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 6,060
Nuge only having 1 year left on his deal makes this unappealing for COL. They lose the better prospect and also likely lose Nuge to UFA after this season when the Avs need to sign Landeskog, Makar, Grubauer, etc, especially since you signed Dadonov with term too. Long term this hurts COL imo. I think Nuge is one of those guys who is more valuable to EDM than he is in a trade

Also leaving Kadri/Dadonov exposed to Seattle instead of Nichushkin/Jost is a huge mistake imo
ArakinSkywalker, MisstheWhalers, DirtyDangle and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
8 juill. 2020 à 13 h 59
Démarrer sujet
Rejoint: avr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 3,444
Quoting: Bringer_Of_Snow
Not even consideration from Edmonton on that. The Nuge-Drai-Yamamoto line was arguably the hottest line in the whole league for the last 20 games of the season (starting from the game they were put together). RNH means a lot to the team, especially since EDM lacks top 6 forward talent. Having that 2nd line threat just opens up that much more space for 97. While Byram is obviously a higher touted prospect, an elite skater like Broberg could easily pan out to have a more successful career. The speculative potential between two highly ranked d prospects doesn't warrant a difference of RNH. Compher is a good depth guy, but he doesn't make up that gap either.

I probably agree with most of this TBH. I think it's an interesting proposal though, especially if Edmonton thinks they can sign Toffoli or Hoffman (as examples) in free agency. Both teams could improve, but it is largely contingent on that happening.

I do think the gap between Byram and Broberg is bigger than you make it sound, but it's likely not enough to warrant RNH, even with Compher and the salary dump. Appreciate the thoughts.
8 juill. 2020 à 14 h 6
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: moli92
Nuge only having 1 year left on his deal makes this unappealing for COL. They lose the better prospect and also likely lose Nuge to UFA after this season when the Avs need to sign Landeskog, Makar, Grubauer, etc, especially since you signed Dadonov with term too. Long term this hurts COL imo. I think Nuge is one of those guys who is more valuable to EDM than he is in a trade

Also leaving Kadri/Dadonov exposed to Seattle instead of Nichushkin/Jost is a huge mistake imo

Avs wouldn't do it unless RNH sticks around past his contract at a decent cost. The cap works, but only if they lose one of Kadri and Dadonov, which is why I exposed them. I vision RNH staying another 6 years or something. I'm hesitant to give Kadri that kind of term, as he'll soon be on the wrong side of 30.

I get the point about RNH being more valuable to Edmonton than elsewhere though. That's valid.
8 juill. 2020 à 14 h 7
Lenny7
Rejoint: janv. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 11,051
I think the rumor was that Florida wanted to reduce their payroll to somewhere around $70 mil, so that's not going to work anyway.

I'm kind of curious as to the Broberg addition to the RNH trade. How are you breaking this trade down in terms of value for each team? Broberg is obviously not Byram, but I don't see their values being SO far apart that Edmonton is essentially giving up their 4th best player, plus their best prospect (and a pick) to get a guy who hasn't even played a game in the NHL yet (which doesn't take away from the fact that he's an outstanding prospect), and JT Compher. I just feel like it's too much subtraction from Edmonton's side.

If the idea is that Edmonton won't be able to re-sign RNH, I can see something happening, but as @Bringer_Of_Snow said, that line was huge this year, and I can't see Edmonton moving him right now.
CD282 a aimé ceci.
8 juill. 2020 à 14 h 17
Rejoint: janv. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 2,275
Quoting: moli92

If they get Nuge they send Landeskog back the other way. They can't afford to re-sign both.
8 juill. 2020 à 14 h 17
Kafle
Rejoint: mai 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 483
oilers say no
Byram plays the left sid which the oilers have plenty of. Not saying those players are better than bryam but the oilers have enough to survive on the left sde
8 juill. 2020 à 14 h 18
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: Lenny7
I think the rumor was that Florida wanted to reduce their payroll to somewhere around $70 mil, so that's not going to work anyway.

I'm kind of curious as to the Broberg addition to the RNH trade. How are you breaking this trade down in terms of value for each team? Broberg is obviously not Byram, but I don't see their values being SO far apart that Edmonton is essentially giving up their 4th best player, plus their best prospect (and a pick) to get a guy who hasn't even played a game in the NHL yet (which doesn't take away from the fact that he's an outstanding prospect), and JT Compher. I just feel like it's too much subtraction from Edmonton's side.

If the idea is that Edmonton won't be able to re-sign RNH, I can see something happening, but as @Bringer_Of_Snow said, that line was huge this year, and I can't see Edmonton moving him right now.

It's not that Edmonton wouldn't be able to re-sign him, but whether they want to commit such a large chunk of the cap to a few forwards or surround their two superstar Cs with complementary players like Athanasiou.

It's hard to value the difference between Byram and Broberg, so I struggled there tbh. My thoughts in terms of value were as a whole though:

Is Edmonton minus RNH and Russel, plus Byram, Compher and Hoffman (maybe) as a UFA signing > Edmonton as they sit now. I think it's a fair question and also think it's going to take a premium to dump cap in the current environment (i.e. I put a premium on Russell). I initially left out the pick from Edmonton but then thought Avs fans would kill me and added it (lol). In the end, I don't think this one gets there. Like the description says though, I think it makes for good conversation.

Edit: Also they can trade Nurse, who will want more than he's worth after his next deal.
Lenny7 a aimé ceci.
8 juill. 2020 à 14 h 20
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: Leafs_and_Sens_Fan
If they get Nuge they send Landeskog back the other way. They can't afford to re-sign both.

They can sign both unless you think they're getting $8M each or something. I don't think so though.
8 juill. 2020 à 14 h 35
Lenny7
Rejoint: janv. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 11,051
Quoting: SuckMyAvs
It's not that Edmonton wouldn't be able to re-sign him, but whether they want to commit such a large chunk of the cap to a few forwards or surround their two superstar Cs with complementary players like Athanasiou.

It's hard to value the difference between Byram and Broberg, so I struggled there tbh. My thoughts in terms of value were as a whole though:

Is Edmonton minus RNH and Russel, plus Byram, Compher and Hoffman (maybe) as a UFA signing > Edmonton as they sit now. I think it's a fair question and also think it's going to take a premium to dump cap in the current environment (i.e. I put a premium on Russell). I initially left out the pick from Edmonton but then thought Avs fans would kill me and added it (lol). In the end, I don't think this one gets there. Like the description says though, I think it makes for good conversation.

Edit: Also they can trade Nurse, who will want more than he's worth after his next deal.

Understandable.

Really, If I'm Colorado and OK with moving Byram, I think I do it for someone similar to RNH, but cheaper, and under team control for longer. You have a really good cap situation for 2020-2021, but then you get into re-signing guys like Makar and Timmins and Landy, probably end up spending more for whoever is between the pipes...there's a lot of space today, but that'll disappear prettttttty quickly.
Anus_McLeod a aimé ceci.
8 juill. 2020 à 14 h 47
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 2,706
Broberg's ceiling is similar to Byram's floor... and Broberg is a huge risk
8 juill. 2020 à 14 h 52
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: Lenny7
Understandable.

Really, If I'm Colorado and OK with moving Byram, I think I do it for someone similar to RNH, but cheaper, and under team control for longer. You have a really good cap situation for 2020-2021, but then you get into re-signing guys like Makar and Timmins and Landy, probably end up spending more for whoever is between the pipes...there's a lot of space today, but that'll disappear prettttttty quickly.

I am kind of a cap nerd and generally try to project a few years out. I think this works, so long as Landy, Grubauer, and RNH are reasonable with their demands.

I tried Danault and Kopitar (salary retained) and got blown up in the comments on those too. That's fine, as my criteria for finding fair value is that both fan bases should probably hate the proposal, lol. In the end though the AGM thing is so easy that it doesn't have to be perfect. I had to put more thought into things in the other forum I used to post in. Not sure if that's a good or a bad thing...
Lenny7 a aimé ceci.
8 juill. 2020 à 15 h 12
Rejoint: juin 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 12,187
thats a horrible deal for the Avs

Nuge is going to be an expensive UFA and Broberg is a far way away and sounds like still quite the project of a DMan after a under whelming Dev+1 Season
I dont see how the Avs are better off with this deal, they take all the risk plus get a god awful dman in Russell who shouldn't step foot on the ice for a cup contending team
8 juill. 2020 à 15 h 12
Rejoint: avr. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 748
I am a huge fan of both teams. I don’t think either team would make this deal. Like others have said, RNH is too important to the oilers. He is excelling with Draisaitl and in case of injury can slide into the C spot, 200 foot players like him are guys you try and keep. From what I hear from friends that live in Vancouver and have watched Bryram play in person countless times is that he is an offensive force but really struggled this past year defensively.
Anus_McLeod et CD282 a aimé ceci.
8 juill. 2020 à 15 h 19
Grizzlies
Rejoint: févr. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 32
That's an easy pass for the Oilers. Nuge loves Edmonton and will be resigned. That deal hurts the Oilers in many ways. Many people undervalue Nuge, but the Oilers don't and a true fans knows he brings a lot more than offense to this team. He is probably the best 2 way forward on the Oilers.
CD282 a aimé ceci.
8 juill. 2020 à 15 h 25
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: Banman73
That's an easy pass for the Oilers. Nuge loves Edmonton and will be resigned. That deal hurts the Oilers in many ways. Many people undervalue Nuge, but the Oilers don't and a true fans knows he brings a lot more than offense to this team. He is probably the best 2 way forward on the Oilers.

The last two sentences are why I want him on the Avs.

I get that he's important, but if you think through all the dominoes falling (cap space for a UFA signing, trading Nurse for something good, and having Byram for the next decade and a half), it seems to set up the Oilers pretty well longer term. Not saying you should be a yes, but I think the easy pass is little overstated (IMO).
8 juill. 2020 à 15 h 29
Rejoint: mars 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 7,772

Is Edmonton minus RNH and Russel, plus Byram, Compher and Hoffman (maybe) as a UFA signing > Edmonton as they sit now.

Just because they can sign a replacement doesn't mean they should trade Nugent-Hopkins for less than fair value though. I think that's where you went wrong on this.

I'm going to vote DOA though, as I don't think Edmonton will move Nugent-Hopkins at all. I think he'll be re-signed by Christmas.
8 juill. 2020 à 15 h 31
Quoting: Dan10900
Broberg's ceiling is similar to Byram's floor... and Broberg is a huge risk

Risk? From what I've read, Broberg's floor is pretty high. His skating ability basically makes him a lock for an NHL career.
Anus_McLeod a aimé ceci.
8 juill. 2020 à 15 h 37
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: CD282
Just because they can sign a replacement doesn't mean they should trade Nugent-Hopkins for less than fair value though. I think that's where you went wrong on this.

I'm going to vote DOA though, as I don't think Edmonton will move Nugent-Hopkins at all. I think he'll be re-signed by Christmas.

I get that, and it's not my intent to suggest it should be for less than fair value. It's just tough to value an expiring contract vs an ELC for one of the top prospects in hockey in a flat cap environment. I think values will shift a bit from where they traditionally have been. The other thing is that I am more focused on both teams getting better than who actually "wins" from a value perspective based on the sum of the players involved. That's not how I like to look at things.

FWIW, I agree that RNH will re-sign without much of an issue and the proposal would be DOA. I also don't think the Avs make this deal, as they'll sign Hall (or at least try), keep their prospects, and then call it a day. It's fun to explore the possibilities though.
CD282 a aimé ceci.
8 juill. 2020 à 16 h 17
I get that, and it's not my intent to suggest it should be for less than fair value. It's just tough to value an expiring contract vs an ELC for one of the top prospects in hockey in a flat cap environment. I think values will shift a bit from where they traditionally have been. The other thing is that I am more focused on both teams getting better than who actually "wins" from a value perspective based on the sum of the players involved. That's not how I like to look at things.

FWIW, I agree that RNH will re-sign without much of an issue and the proposal would be DOA. I also don't think the Avs make this deal, as they'll sign Hall (or at least try), keep their prospects, and then call it a day. It's fun to explore the possibilities though.

Nuge as a LW: BEAUTIFUL

Here are his 5v5 P/60 for each of the last 3 years when playing with Connor or Leo:

2017-18: 2.61 P/60
2018-19: 2.06
2019-20: 3.51
Total: 2.76 P/60

That 2.76 puts him 4th in the NHL over these 3 years, just ahead of Panarin (2.75) and Malkin (2.70). Only Kucherov (3.10), McDavid (2.95). Marchand (2.83) and Stamkos (2.80) produced more at 5v5.

Here are his splits between those two centers:

with McDavid: 2.31
with Draisaitl: 3.21

To put these numbers into context, 2.31 puts him 25th in the NHL over the past 3 years and tied with Barkov and Huberdeau, just ahead of Bergeron and Forberg who posted 2.30 P/60. His 3.21 P/60 with Draisaitl is unmatched over the past 3 years, Kucherov is the closest at 3.10 P/60.

It's interesting that Nugent-Hopkins has made Draisaitl better too, which is incredible when you consider most of the rest of the time Draisaitl played with McDavid.

Draisaitl's 5v5 P/60 with McDavid: 3.07 (1857:31 TOI in 3 seasons: 2017-20)
Draisaitl's 5v5 P/60 with Nugent-Hopkins: 3.68 (635:07 in 3 seasons: 2017-20)

Also, Nuge is excellent on the PK and the PP.

- of 86 forwards who played >100 minutes at 4v5 this year, Nugent-Hopkins was 10th best for shots against and 3rd best for goals against.
- of 186 forwards who played >100 minutes at 5v4 this year, Nugent-Hopkins was 22nd in expected goals for and 5th in actual goals.
Anus_McLeod a aimé ceci.
8 juill. 2020 à 16 h 20
Rejoint: janv. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 2,275
They can sign both unless you think they're getting $8M each or something. I don't think so though.

You really think Avs will have that much cap space after giving Makar a massive raise?
8 juill. 2020 à 16 h 28
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: Leafs_and_Sens_Fan
You really think Avs will have that much cap space after giving Makar a massive raise?

It's tight but I do think so. They may not get Makar for 8 years at that price, but I think they can do it. All players are going to get squeezed a bit.

MacKinnon 6,300,000
Landeskog 7,250,000
Rantanen 9,250,000
Kadri 4,500,000
Nichushkin 2,850,000
Burakovsky 4,850,000
RNH 7,250,000
Jost 1,500,000
Newhook 925,000
Bowers 925,000
LOC 750,000
Kaut 894,167