SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2023-2024 NHL Discussion Thread #6: The Quest for Lord Stanley's Cup

sam. à 21 h 26
Rejoint: déc. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 3,541
Quoting: Rangsey
How you calculating that? Some pretty arbitrary numbers there. Did you factor in the Skinner coefficient? Multiply by McDavids constant? The Bobrovsky gradient?

Haha. My calculations are much more elementary than that, but all of those factors would change the odds.
dim. à 8 h 1
Rejoint: janv. 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 513
I woke up today like cool, finally we can award a cup.

No. There’s another off day.

This season is a meme for how long a hockey season can be.

Why does it seem soooo long? Is it longer than most?
Saskleaf et Rolfadinho a aimé ceci.
dim. à 11 h 45
Rejoint: juill. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 3,017
Is this McGroarty guy gonna be another Shultz/Vesey case were the highlight of their careers was their "sweepstakes"?
CantStopWontStop a aimé ceci.
dim. à 11 h 46
Quoting: CantStopWontStop

The pandemic shortened season broke our brains to what the normal length of a hockey season is.
CantStopWontStop a aimé ceci.
dim. à 12 h 37
Is this McGroarty guy gonna be another Shultz/Vesey case were the highlight of their careers was their "sweepstakes"?

It’s kinda telling when the other option is Adam Fox: Great at hockeying, but soooooo expensive while still young. Worth it, but sheesh. At best you never get those sweet low ratio cap hit to performance years.
dim. à 13 h 1
its been a pleasure
Rejoint: févr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 8,626
Michkov is apparently close to coming over to PHI now
dim. à 13 h 18
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 21,425
Modifié dim. à 20 h 33

I think this has Adam Fox potential where he could just come out and say where he wants to go hurting the Jets

Like the leverage is falling considering in 2 years he can just go see yah

https://twitter.com/Hockey_Robinson/status/1804597022709911730
dim. à 23 h 12
I make typos
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 5,010
Quoting: justaBoss
Stuart Skinner is a different kind of man when EDM is put against the wall.

In games 4-7 in the playoffs the dude is 10-0-0 with SV% over .940 and GAA less than 1.5.

Bro's pulling the new Adin Hill here.

Adin Hill was a 3rd string goalie before last years playoffs though where as Skinner has been a starter for 2 seasons and was All Star and 2nd in Calder voting
lun. à 10 h 9
torontos finest
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,296

it's the constant three day gaps between games.
lun. à 10 h 59
Rejoint: juin 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 1,049
It’s kinda telling when the other option is Adam Fox: Great at hockeying, but soooooo expensive while still young. Worth it, but sheesh. At best you never get those sweet low ratio cap hit to performance years.

Quoting: zk97
Michkov is apparently close to coming over to PHI now

The "NCAA factor" is much more concerning for NHL teams than the "Russia factor"; wonder when the media will adopt this talking point.

Fox, Gauthier, and now McGroarty; I'm sure there have been others.

How many high end Russia players refused to play for, or come over to North America within 3-4 years post-draft to the team that drafted them?

Vadim Shipachyov (undrafted) and Anton Slepyshev (a 3rd rounder) are the ones that come to mind (different situations of course) but the "Russia factor" is more about them not wanting to play in the AHL to develop; they'd rather develop at home in the KHL versus AHL. Much more money, native language, closer to home vs foreign countries, bus rides, and a fraction of the cash.
lun. à 11 h 0
Rejoint: août 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 139

It definitely feels deeper into the summer. Today's the anniversary of the Hawks' 17 seconds SC win which was a game 6 of a lockout delayed season and from what I remember there was a lot of talk about how long that season felt despite it being shortened. likely due to how late into June playoffs went
CantStopWontStop et Rolfadinho a aimé ceci.
lun. à 12 h 48
JimmyPaek
Rejoint: avr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 1,284
https://www.capfriendly.com/forums/thread/856247?post_id=5018436

Literally 99% of them are out of their minds. Like what is wrong with that fanbase? I never had any issue with the wings until I joined this site. Now I hate them lol.

Edit: I deleted it. The wings fans are so insufferable here that it’s not even worth trying to talk to them.
lun. à 13 h 29
Thank you Pavelski
Rejoint: oct. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 31,517
Quoting: oilersguy
Adin Hill was a 3rd string goalie before last years playoffs though where as Skinner has been a starter for 2 seasons and was All Star and 2nd in Calder voting

Speaking in terms of these playoffs, he's turning into an absolute wall in the most important games of the year, similar to Hill.

Statistically speaking he's been average or below average as a starter.
zk97, oilersguy, Rolfadinho and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
lun. à 14 h 44
Rejoint: juin 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 1,049
Quoting: justaBoss
Speaking in terms of these playoffs, he's turning into an absolute wall in the most important games of the year, similar to Hill.

Statistically speaking he's been average or below average as a starter.

Quoting: oilersguy

I think these are great examples of the reasons more and more teams will go with a 1A/1B type of setup. Look at Tampa when Vasy went down; and the Isles with a huge Sorokin extension now looking risky.

Teams would rather have 2 guys ready to go at any time and expect that at least 1 of them will rise to the playoff challenge when called upon; rather than putting all your eggs into one basket for the whole season's success.

I've looked at the evolution of goalie deployment and cap investment over the years and this is the way I would define them:

Goaltender Setup------Games Started Split
1) Workhorse/Backup----59-72/10-23
2) 1A/1B-----------------------47-58/24-35
3) Tandem--------------------36-46/36-46 (true tandem is 41/41 but rarely accomplished due to injuries, etc
4) Spot duty/call-up-------1-9 (these are injury call-ups from the AHL or 3rd goalies; used to be the "backup" that only played on B2B nights).

I've also found that generally GM's budget their goalies based on expected starts; it was around $83,850 per start last season.
This means that the average NHL goalie cap hit per team is $6,875,751; and that includes all rostered goalies. Pittsburgh Penguins were right about there along with St. Louis, Ottawa, NYI, and Nashville.
Every year the cap hit per start shifts up slightly; I haven't calculated 2024-25 because many contracts and trades are still pending.

The Cap $/start figure is not exact science but I've found that it matches up with GM's expectations of goalie starts. For example the Red Wings signed Ville Husso to a $4.75 million contract with the expectation of him getting around 50 starts (a "1A" goalie). They also signed James Reimer as a "1B" to $1.5 million (expecting about 20 starts) and Alex Lyon to a Backup contract at $900k (expecting about 12 starts).

Of course there are other market forces (supply/demand) for goalies that affect prices; but when you see teams like the Avs avoid paying Kuemper, Grubauer, and others to big contracts along with the Red Wings, Hurricanes, and other teams being prudent about their investment it starts to resonate.
justaBoss a aimé ceci.
lun. à 15 h 9
Hakuna Matata
NJ being interested in Pesce makes no sense

They have

Nemec, Marino, and Hamilton

Unless Marino's being moved I dont see the fit

And if NJ decides to move Marino now it makes no sense either as his value's lowered thanks to his meh season this year
lun. à 15 h 10
I wonder if teams have agreed that if their pending free agent isn’t mega elite, then if they decide not to resign, all tampering is off the table and discussions are free for all. I could see this being the case since it’s likely happening behind the scenes anyway, and as long as the playing field is level who cares what the rules are really.

It seems over the past years the discussion of “rumors” regarding specific teams and players has gotten much more prevalent and specific. Ofc there’s always speculation but the reporting seems as specific as ever this year in regards to gms wanting ufas.

If they haven’t all kinda agreed to something, looks like we’ve got some agents that need to get spanked a little. The owners/gms cannot like these leaks, and by the literal rules the leaks can’t be from teams/owners/gms. It doesn’t do a team owner or gm any favor to have the media reporting that they’re tampering with a ufa when they aren’t.
lun. à 19 h 48
Hakuna Matata
Ullmark to the Sens

25 OA pick + Kastelic + Korpisalo (25% ret) going to BOS
Saskleaf, Rangsey et kdawg32086 a aimé ceci.
lun. à 19 h 48
Quoting: aadoyle
Ullmark to the Sens

Korpi retained. 1st.
lun. à 19 h 50
Hakuna Matata
Modifié lun. à 20 h 11
Korpi retained. 1st.

Yea I updated it

25th OA pick, Kastelic, and Korpi (25% ret)

Not bad but helping a divisional rival feels odd for BOS to do. Like this could end up being a win/win or if OTT follows the usual trend Ullmark numbers will tank
lun. à 20 h 11
Bo Horvat enjoyer
Rejoint: mars 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,965
Last game on capfriendly history also the most important game in nhl history… enjoy the ride
Rangsey, Saskleaf et zk97 a aimé ceci.
lun. à 20 h 23
Quoting: AndrewLadd
Last game on capfriendly history also the most important game in nhl history… enjoy the ride

Let's F-ing go.

Cue the anticlimactic shutdown game and an epic dummy spit from a superstar.
edeangel84 a aimé ceci.
lun. à 20 h 24
Quoting: aadoyle
Yea I updated it

25th OA pick, Kastelic, and Korpi (25% ret)

Not bad but helping a divisional rival feels odd for BOS to do. Like this could end up being a win/win or if OTT follows the usual trend Ullmark numbers will tank

Pretty underwhelming return. And taking on Korpi?
lun. à 20 h 26
JimmyPaek
Rejoint: avr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 1,284
I’ve said this a few times but now I’ll be right, this is the last game thread in CF history. RIP!!!
Rangsey et Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
lun. à 20 h 28
Hakuna Matata
Pretty underwhelming return. And taking on Korpi?

I mean if BOS works its magic and Korpi rebounds with them then they basically didnt lose anything

And knowing BOS Kastelic could be a nice 4th liner for em
lun. à 20 h 29
Goodbye my Friends
Rejoint: juill. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 645
SCF Game 7 Overtime for the first time in 70 years would be cool, and a fitting end for (what feels like) the longest season in NHL history
edeangel84 et Saskleaf a aimé ceci.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage