SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

The NHL needs to change these things

11 mars à 10 h 40
Matt1567
Rejoint: janv. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 237
as for the tax-adjusted cap, a simple solution would be to just make the cap hits be the amount after tax is deducted, but the owners of teams in higher-tax cities would hate having to pay more than the leagues salary cap to keep their players around, so I don't think there's a real solution to it unless they copy the NBA and have a luxury tax
11 mars à 10 h 41
Lifelong Leafs Fan
Rejoint: sept. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 201
Quoting: MitchJr
Parity has its merits (I’m not arguing MLB type system where Pirates are already out of it) but obsession with it is hurting the NHL. Have to find a way to ensure some level of parity and fairness but when Canes (as an example) can spend same amount of money as Leafs (or any of the top revenue generating teams) while generating significantly less revenue to the league, that system is not fair. But more importantly, it’s limiting growth of the league. NHL is not the NFL so copying their system was major mistake imo but Bettman cared more about punishing players than growing the league. NBA has grown exponentially more than NHL is past years /decades 🤷🏻

Coincidentally, Bettman used to work for the NBA and the NHL was growing until he took over
MitchJr, EHMatt, jonh514 and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
11 mars à 10 h 43
Rejoint: juin 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 768
Quoting: MitchJr
Get rid of hard cap; punitive and actively hurting the league’s chances of growth. I suggest allowing teams to spend over cap (say 10% max) but it has to be tied to revenue. So the more popular teams have an advantage because Leafs, Habs, Rangers, Avs, Oilers & Bruins (etc) generate 👀 which improve overall ratings which grows the game. Smaller markets also have a chance to be competitive because there is still a cap (albeit more flexible than current hard cap) & revenue sharing

Me personally, I wouldn’t want that. All it does is benefit big market teams and would have smaller markets in perpetual rebuilds. Small markets draft players, they leave to big market, big market wins cup. Basically makes 2 classes of teams. It’s a good revenue boost because obviously the draw of teams like T.O and Mtl will be higher than teams like Ottawa but I don’t know it just feels to me like whichever teams have the biggest pockets will always win, and teams can essentially “buy” cups. Maybe I don’t have the greatest understanding of it but surface level that’s what it seems like to me.
EHMatt, Huge_Caniac_Abe_Lincoln, jonh514 and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
11 mars à 10 h 54
Rejoint: mars 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 7,749
Quoting: SharkTank
Get rid of national anthems before games.

I don't really care either way, but just for once I'd like to see a game start on time. If it's set for 7:30, then that's when the puck should be dropped. Some of the opening ceremonies mean the puck drop doesn't happen for another 15-20 minutes, it's ridiculous.
jonh514 et Mike7856 a aimé ceci.
11 mars à 10 h 55
Rejoint: juin 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 46
1) I don't like the idea of favouring teams that just miss the playoffs. The whole premise of the draft priority is so that teams who need help the most get the better players. I think the adjustments that have been made so that a team doesn't keep winning the lottery is much better than it has been. As I mentioned in my other reply, it'll be interesting to see how the PWHL format goes.

2) I'm all for anything that encourages player movement, but I don't think that's the holdup. As you saw between Montreal and Carolina, teams take offer sheets personally. A lot of GM's have respect for each other and will likely not do it unless the compensation is lowered drastically.

3) This definitely seems to be becoming a problem. I personally don't see how you can be ok for game 1 of the playoffs, but not ok for game 82 of the regular season. I'm not sure if a series is the way to go, but maybe 4 games. I also do like the idea that the 20 skaters on the ice in the playoffs have to be within 10% over the cap at most. Or maybe even cap compliant.

4) I think the tax thing helps in a player's decision. More so at the end of their career. But if the team is winning or has a good potential to win, then players will sign there.

5) Other changes I would make are:
a) Go to a 3 point system all the time. 3 points for a regulation win. This keeps playoff chases alive for longer in the regular season.

b) Go back to the 1-8 playoff format. This current system has way too many really juggernaut match-ups in the first 2 rounds. The only difference from the old system I would want is that division winners
are guaranteed a playoff spot and not 3rd place.

c) Get rid of coaches challenges. Have an off-ice official. If there is goaltender interference or a blatant offside that was missed, the off-ice official calls it and then they can have a review or discussion. This
would also give opportunity to refs who want to continue to be involved in the game, but have to retire because of physical demands. It would also remove the close ones that we have to wait 10 minutes
for the review to be done. If it's that close, then just let it go.

d) Expand OT to 8 or 10 minutes, but maybe also throw in a floating blue-line. I would prefer to not see players skate back to their own zone and go behind their net to maintain possession. A floating blue-
line would be once you cross the offensive blue-line, you can then only go back as far as you own blue-line, but the offensive blue-line is no longer offside. They have this rule in some ball hockey leagues
I've played in. It works really well. This expands the offensive zone and keeps the offensive flow going in OT. If they extended it to the red line, that could work too.

e) This isn't really anything to do with the rules, it's more for broadcasting and help grow the audience. They need to get rid of this model where there is a contract for nationally televised games and
regionally televised games. Stop with these blackouts. Especially if you buy the NHL Gamecentre package. Blackouts are giving cable companies way too much control. You should be able to buy a
subscription to get all of your team's broadcasts. I would like to see teams have their own team of broadcasters and create their own production for the game. I don't know about all other fan-bases, but I
know there are quite a few that don't like the Sportsnet broadcasts. There are some in the US that don't like what ESPN does for their broadcasts either.
OldNYIfan et jonh514 a aimé ceci.
11 mars à 10 h 57
Rejoint: janv. 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 1,177
Quoting: Mike7856
Me personally, I wouldn’t want that. All it does is benefit big market teams and would have smaller markets in perpetual rebuilds. Small markets draft players, they leave to big market, big market wins cup. Basically makes 2 classes of teams. It’s a good revenue boost because obviously the draw of teams like T.O and Mtl will be higher than teams like Ottawa but I don’t know it just feels to me like whichever teams have the biggest pockets will always win, and teams can essentially “buy” cups. Maybe I don’t have the greatest understanding of it but surface level that’s what it seems like to me.

Fair point, but I’m talking about system that pretty much all other leagues have (aside from NFL, as far as I am aware). It can be done so that small market teams have a chance to be competitive while ensuring a bit more fairness - if you have lots of fans and generate a lot of $ (which is also given to small market teams already via revenue sharing program) , you are allowed to use some of your own money to improve the product you are selling.
Mike7856 et jonh514 a aimé ceci.
11 mars à 10 h 58
Quoting: CD282
I don't really care either way, but just for once I'd like to see a game start on time. If it's set for 7:30, then that's when the puck should be dropped. Some of the opening ceremonies mean the puck drop doesn't happen for another 15-20 minutes, it's ridiculous.

Part of me thinks it has something to do with the broadcast. I've noticed that TSN broadcasts start at 7:08 when the game is scheduled for 7. But Sportsnet is 7:15.
LeafsForLife et jonh514 a aimé ceci.
11 mars à 10 h 59
Rejoint: mars 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 7,749
Quoting: EHMatt
Part of me thinks it has something to do with the broadcast. I've noticed that TSN broadcasts start at 7:08 when the game is scheduled for 7. But Sportsnet is 7:15.

Broadcasts will follow whatever timeline NHL implements. Somehow MLB is able to start on time, why not NHL?
jonh514 a aimé ceci.
11 mars à 11 h 0
Habs 2010
Rejoint: mai 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 951
Quoting: jonh514
1) The mix of a play-in and equal odds for the bottom 12 teams makes the most sense to me. We cannot have Chicago and San Jose get rewarded for intentionally losing. The draw needs to be removed.

2) The media circus is important to draw attention to the game which is losing ground to MLS in the US. We need to grow the game and that means more personality in the superstar players and more media. GMs and owners should understand that.

3) Your suggestion punishes teams too harshly and hurts players who are genuinely injured. A waiting period is more fair. The 1st round of the playoffs is by far the most competitive, so teams would be discouraged enough from sheltering their star players until round 2.

4) Seems like there is evidence this does not matter to the players.

1. I really like this. Equal odds is fair if it's only 12 teams missing the playoffs and it eliminates the purpose of sucking on purpose. Basically all 12 of those teams would have a 8.333% chance of winning the lottery... which is a longshot so even a team in 12th would rather push for the play in for a chance at playoff hockey. It's really stupid that every position in the standing gives you better odds at winning the lottery because you're already giving yourself a better draft postion. It creates a desire for tanking all the way from last to 16th... like MTL for example, finishing 5th last would be preferable to 7th or 8th... not necessarily because of a huge jump between 5th and 7th position in the draft but because of better lottery odds. The last place team would still have a good pick even if they don't win the lottery, whether that is 2nd, 3rd or 4th or whatever.

2. Can't argue with that. The fans love it.

3. It is harsh, but the way I see it that's the breaks. If a team isn't able to be cap compliant before the playoffs, that's on management of that team. Another solution could just be that teams have to be cap compliant with their 20 man roster for every game of the playoffs.

4. Yep, if it gets to be a real problem one day the NHL might need to get involved with player taxes. For example, players would file for "tax returns" (money lost due to tax in a high state) through the NHL and maybe get some reimbursement through revenue sharing or something. I don't know, something might be necessary one day.
OldNYIfan et jonh514 a aimé ceci.
11 mars à 11 h 1
Lifelong Leafs Fan
Rejoint: sept. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 201

Absolutely, I never turn on a hockey game until at least 10 minutes after it’s scheduled to start. I think it’s another case of Bettman trying to get as much money from the networks and advertisers as possible
jonh514 a aimé ceci.
11 mars à 11 h 10
I've gotta say, this post is great and love that it's created some good discussion.
Shanesaw9, OldNYIfan, jonh514 and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
11 mars à 11 h 56
Once a Kings Fan Too
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 25,237
Congratulations to you for creating a real subject of intelligent discussion!! And let's take time out to thank the mods who usually move a thread like this to the Forums, where far fewer people see it. (I bet that I wouldn't have.)

My input on previous points is that the 3-2-1 system is a must.

I have a brand new topic: the season-ending weekend.

I think that the season-ending weekend should be a home-and-home series with each team's closest (geographically and historically) rival.

Too many times, end-of-season games have little significance except for teams fighting for a playoff spot. As a result, fan interest is lowered, even though that last weekend always includes Fan Appreciation Day for every franchise. (Picture Arizona entertaining -- and I use the term ironically -- San Jose and Chicago or Buffalo traveling to Columbus and Pittsburgh.) Here's my lineup:
Vancouver vs. Seattle
Los Angeles vs. Anaheim (The Freeway Series)
Calgary vs. Edmonton (The Battle of Alberta)
San Jose vs. Las Vegas
Minnesota vs. Winnipeg
Arizona vs. Colorado
Chicago vs. Nashville
Dallas vs. St. Louis
Florida vs. Tampa Bay
Montreal vs. Toronto
Boston vs. Buffalo
Detroit vs. Ottawa
Islanders vs. Rangers
Carolina vs. Washington
Columbus vs. Pittsburgh
Philadelphia vs. New Jersey
Huge_Caniac_Abe_Lincoln, jonh514, Mike7856 and 2 others a aimé ceci.
11 mars à 12 h 0
On the Rod Meal Plan
Rejoint: mai 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 304
To chime in a bit on "growing the game" I think hockey's #1 obstacle is not Bettman - hear me out - but the barrier to entry for playing it. Sports like soccer and basketball that require a ball and a hoop are cheaper, but also much easier to play. If kids can't play the sport at home, they are not going to be as interested in it. Just my two cents.
jonh514, ricochetii et EHMatt a aimé ceci.
11 mars à 12 h 5
Rejoint: févr. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 868
I like the idea of the gold draft more than just doing away with the lottery, but I'm don't think things are too wrong with some tanking. and for LTIR playoffs, I think the roster they ice each night should independently have to be cap compliant, but they can carry extra players to their heart's content
jonh514 a aimé ceci.
11 mars à 12 h 20
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Rejoint: juill. 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 22,686
Quoting: Huge_Caniac_Abe_Lincoln
I'll add that increased offersheets, even if the compensation were lower, will likely never happen as:
1) They are seen as incredibly hostile moves, and most of these GMs want to make future trades with each other
2) The more realistic reason is that RFA status keeps costs down for owners, as littlejerryseinfeld says, and players will only sign offersheets that are much larger contracts. This is both bad for GMs who want to keep salaries down to fit within the cap, and has the additional cost of raising contracts across the league, which 32 very rich people do not want.

Virtually all teams spend to the cap anyway, so it's the distribution of money that's the issue. If UFA and RFA money rise significantly, well you half the team making 1m or less. Remember half the NHLPA are the bottom enders not making THAT much, do you think these members want their pay reduced just so a relatively few get more?
11 mars à 12 h 28
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 13
- Get rid of TV blackouts.
- 10 min OT, add a no “backcourt” rule
- Limit coach challenge review to 3 mins. If inconclusive, then call on the ice stands.
- Salary cap limit to ice players during playoff game. You can carry a team that exceeds the limit, but can only play players within the limit.
- Reduce max player salary to cap ratio from 20% to 17.5%
- buyouts up to 5% of cap don’t count towards cap (bad contracts happen and sometimes are a result of decline to injury - need to have a system that allows for bad contracts to be shed without as strict of a penalty as it exists today)
- career ending LTIR should not be LTIR but categorized differently.
- mandatory neck guards
- reduce the UFA age (the league is getting younger and it’s ridiculous that players have no rights until age 27). By this age, every UFA signing is considered as an overpay because you are paying them until age 35 and well beyond their prime, which leads to those bad contracts stated above and need for buyouts.
jonh514 a aimé ceci.
11 mars à 12 h 34
Démarrer sujet
HuGo is a Boss GM
Rejoint: déc. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 3,038
Quoting: Ledge_And_Dairy
I think you have this pretty backwards. The draw for teams not to intentionally lose is that the league is still gate driven in terms of revenue and most owners are cheapskates. Not being willing to bottom out because "anything can happen if you make the playoffs" is in my opinion the problem. I think there should 100% be a lottery for the top pick(s) in the draft but there is nothing you can say that will convince me the team that finished 12th last should have an equal shot at getting 1st OA. I think right now where they have a 0% chance of drafting 1st OA is far better. I remember a few years ago when Detroit was just simply a bad team and ended up with the 4th OA pick because they had over a 50% chance of picking 4th with the best odds at getting 1st. To me that is just ridiculous and I am glad they changed it

San Jose, however is not intentionally losing games. They exhausted every resource they had for like 2 decades to try and win the cup. They have simply become a genuine bad team due to inflated aging contracts. Chicago tanked a little bit but they were contending for years, throwing assets out the door to stay in contention.

The problem with tanking is that you can end up like Buffalo and be perpetually at the bottom for a decade.

I mean... I appreciate your perspective, but I very much disagree. GMs can and DO make moves that force their coaches and players to lose, even if it's not on purpose. We can dress it up any way we like, but the Habs got Dach to facilitate Chicago getting Bedard.
11 mars à 12 h 36
Démarrer sujet
HuGo is a Boss GM

I always groan when we need to honour others. I appreciate it because it's classy, but I groan a little cause I just wanna see them drop the puck already.
LeafsForLife a aimé ceci.
11 mars à 12 h 40
Démarrer sujet
HuGo is a Boss GM
1) I don't like the idea of favouring teams that just miss the playoffs. The whole premise of the draft priority is so that teams who need help the most get the better players. I think the adjustments that have been made so that a team doesn't keep winning the lottery is much better than it has been. As I mentioned in my other reply, it'll be interesting to see how the PWHL format goes.

2) I'm all for anything that encourages player movement, but I don't think that's the holdup. As you saw between Montreal and Carolina, teams take offer sheets personally. A lot of GM's have respect for each other and will likely not do it unless the compensation is lowered drastically.

3) This definitely seems to be becoming a problem. I personally don't see how you can be ok for game 1 of the playoffs, but not ok for game 82 of the regular season. I'm not sure if a series is the way to go, but maybe 4 games. I also do like the idea that the 20 skaters on the ice in the playoffs have to be within 10% over the cap at most. Or maybe even cap compliant.

4) I think the tax thing helps in a player's decision. More so at the end of their career. But if the team is winning or has a good potential to win, then players will sign there.

5) Other changes I would make are:
a) Go to a 3 point system all the time. 3 points for a regulation win. This keeps playoff chases alive for longer in the regular season.

b) Go back to the 1-8 playoff format. This current system has way too many really juggernaut match-ups in the first 2 rounds. The only difference from the old system I would want is that division winners
are guaranteed a playoff spot and not 3rd place.

c) Get rid of coaches challenges. Have an off-ice official. If there is goaltender interference or a blatant offside that was missed, the off-ice official calls it and then they can have a review or discussion. This
would also give opportunity to refs who want to continue to be involved in the game, but have to retire because of physical demands. It would also remove the close ones that we have to wait 10 minutes
for the review to be done. If it's that close, then just let it go.

d) Expand OT to 8 or 10 minutes, but maybe also throw in a floating blue-line. I would prefer to not see players skate back to their own zone and go behind their net to maintain possession. A floating blue-
line would be once you cross the offensive blue-line, you can then only go back as far as you own blue-line, but the offensive blue-line is no longer offside. They have this rule in some ball hockey leagues
I've played in. It works really well. This expands the offensive zone and keeps the offensive flow going in OT. If they extended it to the red line, that could work too.

e) This isn't really anything to do with the rules, it's more for broadcasting and help grow the audience. They need to get rid of this model where there is a contract for nationally televised games and
regionally televised games. Stop with these blackouts. Especially if you buy the NHL Gamecentre package. Blackouts are giving cable companies way too much control. You should be able to buy a
subscription to get all of your team's broadcasts. I would like to see teams have their own team of broadcasters and create their own production for the game. I don't know about all other fan-bases, but I
know there are quite a few that don't like the Sportsnet broadcasts. There are some in the US that don't like what ESPN does for their broadcasts either.

Great point on the blackouts. I don't buy NHL packages for precisely this reason. I watch most games on the network of my choosing and I will let you imagine how I might make that happen. It's bad for the league. I want to watch the version of the game that I like and I won't compromise on it.
EHMatt a aimé ceci.
11 mars à 12 h 41
Démarrer sujet
HuGo is a Boss GM
Quoting: Shanesaw9
1. I really like this. Equal odds is fair if it's only 12 teams missing the playoffs and it eliminates the purpose of sucking on purpose. Basically all 12 of those teams would have a 8.333% chance of winning the lottery... which is a longshot so even a team in 12th would rather push for the play in for a chance at playoff hockey. It's really stupid that every position in the standing gives you better odds at winning the lottery because you're already giving yourself a better draft postion. It creates a desire for tanking all the way from last to 16th... like MTL for example, finishing 5th last would be preferable to 7th or 8th... not necessarily because of a huge jump between 5th and 7th position in the draft but because of better lottery odds. The last place team would still have a good pick even if they don't win the lottery, whether that is 2nd, 3rd or 4th or whatever.

2. Can't argue with that. The fans love it.

3. It is harsh, but the way I see it that's the breaks. If a team isn't able to be cap compliant before the playoffs, that's on management of that team. Another solution could just be that teams have to be cap compliant with their 20 man roster for every game of the playoffs.

4. Yep, if it gets to be a real problem one day the NHL might need to get involved with player taxes. For example, players would file for "tax returns" (money lost due to tax in a high state) through the NHL and maybe get some reimbursement through revenue sharing or something. I don't know, something might be necessary one day.

Glad we could find some middle ground! Thanks for sharing your perspective.
11 mars à 12 h 43
Démarrer sujet
HuGo is a Boss GM
I've gotta say, this post is great and love that it's created some good discussion.

Thanks! I like to say my posts are often an acquired taste. Even a broken clock is right twice a day though!
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
11 mars à 12 h 45
Démarrer sujet
HuGo is a Boss GM
Quoting: OldNYIfan
Congratulations to you for creating a real subject of intelligent discussion!! And let's take time out to thank the mods who usually move a thread like this to the Forums, where far fewer people see it. (I bet that I wouldn't have.)

My input on previous points is that the 3-2-1 system is a must.

I have a brand new topic: the season-ending weekend.

I think that the season-ending weekend should be a home-and-home series with each team's closest (geographically and historically) rival.

Too many times, end-of-season games have little significance except for teams fighting for a playoff spot. As a result, fan interest is lowered, even though that last weekend always includes Fan Appreciation Day for every franchise. (Picture Arizona entertaining -- and I use the term ironically -- San Jose and Chicago or Buffalo traveling to Columbus and Pittsburgh.) Here's my lineup:
Vancouver vs. Seattle
Los Angeles vs. Anaheim (The Freeway Series)
Calgary vs. Edmonton (The Battle of Alberta)
San Jose vs. Las Vegas
Minnesota vs. Winnipeg
Arizona vs. Colorado
Chicago vs. Nashville
Dallas vs. St. Louis
Florida vs. Tampa Bay
Montreal vs. Toronto
Boston vs. Buffalo
Detroit vs. Ottawa
Islanders vs. Rangers
Carolina vs. Washington
Columbus vs. Pittsburgh
Philadelphia vs. New Jersey

I would LOVE that. I watch most of the games, but I will admit I need to motivate myself by saying, "I want to see how many points Slaf can get? Or will Suzuki hit a PPG?" I ALWAYS get up for a game against the Leafs though. I don't care about draft rankings. I don't care about potential injuries. I want to win...
11 mars à 12 h 46
Démarrer sujet
HuGo is a Boss GM
Quoting: Huge_Caniac_Abe_Lincoln
To chime in a bit on "growing the game" I think hockey's #1 obstacle is not Bettman - hear me out - but the barrier to entry for playing it. Sports like soccer and basketball that require a ball and a hoop are cheaper, but also much easier to play. If kids can't play the sport at home, they are not going to be as interested in it. Just my two cents.

No doubt. Hockey is for the wealthy, and it sucks.
11 mars à 12 h 47
Démarrer sujet
HuGo is a Boss GM
Quoting: emoprettyboy
I like the idea of the gold draft more than just doing away with the lottery, but I'm don't think things are too wrong with some tanking. and for LTIR playoffs, I think the roster they ice each night should independently have to be cap compliant, but they can carry extra players to their heart's content

Interesting point. I think they really are gonna look at that during the next CBA. Too many owners are pissed off about Kutcherov...
11 mars à 12 h 49
Démarrer sujet
HuGo is a Boss GM
Quoting: palhal
Virtually all teams spend to the cap anyway, so it's the distribution of money that's the issue. If UFA and RFA money rise significantly, well you half the team making 1m or less. Remember half the NHLPA are the bottom enders not making THAT much, do you think these members want their pay reduced just so a relatively few get more?

I think Lebron moving around every year is exceptional for the NBA. Contracts in the NHL need to be shorter and players need to have more flexibility to choose where they play. 8 year deals are way too long IMO.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage