SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2023-2024 NHL Discussion Thread #4: Deadline is Approaching

10 mars à 19 h 36
Rejoint: mai 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 18,356
So it appears Michael McLeod will break the record for highest face-off winning percentage in a season. I have no other comment at this time.
CantStopWontStop a aimé ceci.
10 mars à 20 h 8
Rejoint: juin 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 303
Based on the ridiculous OT game from the other day, not having your team ready to get back on the ice should be an automatic fine/suspension for the coach.
10 mars à 20 h 26
Go Habs Go
Rejoint: mars 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 4,091
Quoting: ARMCHAIRGMOFTHEYEAR
nhl is a joke... torts suspended 2 games, 50K?!!?! fine

Not sure what you expect. You can't just tell the ref to effoff and refuse to serve a penalty.
You can throw a fit on the way out, damage is done at that point, but you still have to leave.
10 mars à 20 h 27
Rejoint: juill. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 2,911
Quoting: aadoyle
In general players will probs always admit to wanting to score more goals than assists. As goal scoring is fun ask Mark Stone. That man always acts like he scored his first. Now not to say nothing is bad with generating assists but its arguably a secondary goal unless your a Dman.

As you do need a goal to generate a primary or secondary assist wink

Both are good accomplishments but got to admit when looking at modern scoring reaching 70 goals be crazy. As the last guy to almost do it was Ovie with 65. How he has not reached 70 be a surprise

Both are super impressive. Only 3 guys with 100 assists. Bonkers.

And the scoring 70 goals doesn't even get you in the hall of fame!?!? Wtf.

Be interesting to see how McDavid Matthews end up compared to Ovi Crosby since scoring is way up now vs the last 20yrs.
10 mars à 20 h 28
Quoting: ricochetii
Not sure what you expect. You can't just tell the ref to effoff and refuse to serve a penalty.
You can throw a fit on the way out, damage is done at that point, but you still have to leave.

The fact that he's got a cast on while ranting and raving made me think of tourettes guy.
10 mars à 21 h 6
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 17,385
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
Minny pulls the goalie in OT and wins…

Learned a new rule today: If you pull the goalie in OT and concede a goal, you forfeit the loser point

Classic NHL rule, stops teams from doing risky things and entertaining for fans
10 mars à 21 h 8
nhl is a joke... torts suspended 2 games, 50K?!!?! fine

Not really, Torts got ejected, Torts should’ve just walked off there and then instead of saying F you, I’m not leaving, that was basically a guarantee Torts was gonna get a big fine. With what he did, I guess a suspension makes sense, it also tells other coaches not to do that
10 mars à 21 h 24
Respect Mike Grier
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 2,597
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Not really, Torts got ejected, Torts should’ve just walked off there and then instead of saying F you, I’m not leaving, that was basically a guarantee Torts was gonna get a big fine. With what he did, I guess a suspension makes sense, it also tells other coaches not to do that

Quoting: ricochetii

He shouldn't have been ejected in the first place. The refs made two terrible calls within 10 seconds of each (attard tripping call & Hathaway 10 Min misconduct for a shove). Torts said the first one was a dive but he didn't argue it too much, the 2nd one upset him so he made sure they knew but he really hadn't done anything out of the normal of coaches after bad calls. Then they wrongfully ejected him, so he told them to eff-off and flipped out.

If refs do their job, instead of abruptly ejecting torts because he called out a call. Torts doesn't flip out.
10 mars à 22 h 27
Go Habs Go
Rejoint: mars 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 4,091
He shouldn't have been ejected in the first place. The refs made two terrible calls within 10 seconds of each (attard tripping call & Hathaway 10 Min misconduct for a shove). Torts said the first one was a dive but he didn't argue it too much, the 2nd one upset him so he made sure they knew but he really hadn't done anything out of the normal of coaches after bad calls. Then they wrongfully ejected him, so he told them to eff-off and flipped out.

If refs do their job, instead of abruptly ejecting torts because he called out a call. Torts doesn't flip out.

He may well have had a legitimate reason to flip out.
The ref should be held accountable after the fact if it wasn't justified (that's a separate issue the NHL already struggles with).
In the moment however, like it or not, once a call is finalized you have to take it and allow the game to continue.
A_Habs_fan a aimé ceci.
10 mars à 23 h 42
Leafs going to Leafs
Rejoint: déc. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 2,948
Quoting: Rangsey
Both are super impressive. Only 3 guys with 100 assists. Bonkers.

And the scoring 70 goals doesn't even get you in the hall of fame!?!? Wtf.

Be interesting to see how McDavid Matthews end up compared to Ovi Crosby since scoring is way up now vs the last 20yrs.

I think the McDavid vs Matthews and the Crosby vs Ovechkin are going to be 2 completely different debates

As the 2 biggest factors are; Toronto and EDM's chances at a cup and the all around game...

In Crosby vs Ovi, I think it's safe to say, when Crosby won the cup and went to the SCF in 2008 and 2009, we all knew Crosby was better especially because of his defensive capabilities whereas Ovi was shoot and shoot

Contrast to that, Matthews' defensive game is amongst the best in the world whereas McDavid's is average at best

To add, neither team looks as close to the cup as Vegas, Florida, NYR or Colorado does so anything related to winning will go out the window until one of them wins actually it all
11 mars à 0 h 0
Rejoint: juill. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 2,911
Quoting: Leafsfan98
I think the McDavid vs Matthews and the Crosby vs Ovechkin are going to be 2 completely different debates

As the 2 biggest factors are; Toronto and EDM's chances at a cup and the all around game...

In Crosby vs Ovi, I think it's safe to say, when Crosby won the cup and went to the SCF in 2008 and 2009, we all knew Crosby was better especially because of his defensive capabilities whereas Ovi was shoot and shoot

Contrast to that, Matthews' defensive game is amongst the best in the world whereas McDavid's is average at best

To add, neither team looks as close to the cup as Vegas, Florida, NYR or Colorado does so anything related to winning will go out the window until one of them wins actually it all

I'm more interested in the OviCrosby vs Matthews McDavid debate.
11 mars à 0 h 26
Leafs going to Leafs
Rejoint: déc. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 2,948
Quoting: Rangsey
I'm more interested in the OviCrosby vs Matthews McDavid debate.

Obviously, bc the Crosby vs Ovi debate might be for another 2-3 years max whereas Matthews vs McDavid will be for 10+ years
11 mars à 1 h 34
Amirov Forever
Rejoint: mars 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 6,036
zk97 a aimé ceci.
11 mars à 7 h 36

The refs might’ve deserved it but you can’t tell the refs “screw you, I’m not respecting your decision to eject me”, once the refs eject you, there’s nothing for you to do except walk off and hope the NHL talks to the refs. The refs might’ve had it coming but Torts definitely had it coming, the NHL does not want coaches to start doing what Torts did
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
11 mars à 7 h 44
Go leafs go
Rejoint: avr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 9,193
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
The refs might’ve deserved it but you can’t tell the refs “screw you, I’m not respecting your decision to eject me”, once the refs eject you, there’s nothing for you to do except walk off and hope the NHL talks to the refs. The refs might’ve had it coming but Torts definitely had it coming, the NHL does not want coaches to start doing what Torts did

Exactly, I’m not really aware of why Torts got kicked out and it wouldn’t surprise me if he probably shouldn’t have been, but you have to respect the refs. As much as we complain about the refs being crappy, you can’t play the game without them. If more coaches start doing this it would be a disaster for the NHL
A_Habs_fan a aimé ceci.
11 mars à 10 h 13
Lifelong Leafs Fan
Rejoint: sept. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 201
Quoting: Saskleaf
Exactly, I’m not really aware of why Torts got kicked out and it wouldn’t surprise me if he probably shouldn’t have been, but you have to respect the refs. As much as we complain about the refs being crappy, you can’t play the game without them. If more coaches start doing this it would be a disaster for the NHL

I agree that it would not be good if this kind of thing happens more often, but I think the solution would be holding the refs accountable. Maybe post-game interviews like everyone else (although that could have negative influences as well). If the refs are handing out 10 minute misconducts for shoving, there’s going to be more guys in each box than on the bench.
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
11 mars à 10 h 40
Rejoint: janv. 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 473
Modifié 11 mars à 10 h 52
It would be interesting if the nhl tried punishing officials.

During the game, players can cross the line, they’re human, and there are standard consequences for those choices.

During the game, coaches can cross the line, they’re human, and they have consequences for their choices too.

Refs will cross the line too, they’re also human.

So why not give them a standard of consequences.

I think it would be fun. Wes McCauley gets a 2 game sussy for missing 3 high sticks while calling a hooking penalty where it was the players own teammate.
11 mars à 13 h 22
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 20,959
Quoting: CantStopWontStop
It would be interesting if the nhl tried punishing officials.

During the game, players can cross the line, they’re human, and there are standard consequences for those choices.

During the game, coaches can cross the line, they’re human, and they have consequences for their choices too.

Refs will cross the line too, they’re also human.

So why not give them a standard of consequences.

I think it would be fun. Wes McCauley gets a 2 game sussy for missing 3 high sticks while calling a hooking penalty where it was the players own teammate.

Just do what European teams do and have them do public interviews explaining non calls. That should be the punishment
11 mars à 14 h 56
Go leafs go
Quoting: LeafsForLife
I agree that it would not be good if this kind of thing happens more often, but I think the solution would be holding the refs accountable. Maybe post-game interviews like everyone else (although that could have negative influences as well). If the refs are handing out 10 minute misconducts for shoving, there’s going to be more guys in each box than on the bench.

I agree there should be some way to hold refs accountable, don’t mind the idea of the refs getting interviewed, but have the coaches openly refuse to comply with the refs is a disaster for the NHL and needs to be avoided at all costs. Bad refs are better than no refs
A_Habs_fan a aimé ceci.
11 mars à 15 h 1
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Saskleaf
I agree there should be some way to hold refs accountable, don’t mind the idea of the refs getting interviewed, but have the coaches openly refuse to comply with the refs is a disaster for the NHL and needs to be avoided at all costs. Bad refs are better than no refs

Refs will be gone soon anyway once hockey develops its own ai officiating system for penalties and plays. Baseball already getting rid of most umpires with their new system which I believe comes 2025 and Basketball has plans for 2027

Times a ticking for them.
11 mars à 15 h 52
Go leafs go
Refs will be gone soon anyway once hockey develops its own ai officiating system for penalties and plays. Baseball already getting rid of most umpires with their new system which I believe comes 2025 and Basketball has plans for 2027

You’re probably right but I’d rather have refs
11 mars à 16 h 59
Amirov Forever
Rejoint: mars 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 6,036

Bold of you to assume the league will ever get with the times
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
11 mars à 17 h 15
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05

If the MLB can then NHL will to

As MLB be further behind the NHL
11 mars à 18 h 9
Démarrer sujet
Bedard23
Rejoint: mai 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 4,476

It’ll be just as affective as the officials
11 mars à 18 h 17
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05

By the time the league does, everyone will be watching AI generated hockey streams.
zk97 et Saskleaf a aimé ceci.

To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage