SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Leafs 2023 2024 Season Discussion Part 4 - Mid Season Slump

6 févr. à 22 h 20
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Rejoint: juill. 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 22,848
Why do folks want to continue to trade futures for short term players at TDL. Let's just go with the current guys and start anew next season when the Leafs have 7 UFAs positions to fill, and two RFAs to sign (or let go).
All these TDL in the past, and the proposed ones this season won't be changing the Leafs fortunes.
RipNasty a aimé ceci.
6 févr. à 22 h 23
Just Keep Swimming
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 5,672
Quoting: palhal
Why do folks want to continue to trade futures for short term players at TDL. Let's just go with the current guys and start anew next season when the Leafs have 7 UFAs positions to fill, and two RFAs to sign (or let go).
All these TDL in the past, and the proposed ones this season won't be changing the Leafs fortunes.

Go with mutli year deals.
I'd trade for TK no problem. I'd even move Cowen for him (I see cowen as a younger TK so it makes sense)
6 févr. à 22 h 36
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: Random2152
Go with mutli year deals.
I'd trade for TK no problem. I'd even move Cowen for him (I see cowen as a younger TK so it makes sense)

TK is a UFA in 1.5 years. It's it better to have a cheaper Cowan, and then almost all that cap space for another TK like player. Is TK really going to make that much difference for the Leafs this season and next.
Leafs only have one player on ELC, Knies. It's seem old story, no cheap young ELCs then the Leafs have to find one year aging third, fourth liners to fill the void.
Leafsfan98 et RipNasty a aimé ceci.
6 févr. à 22 h 41
Just Keep Swimming
TK is a UFA in 1.5 years. It's it better to have a cheaper Cowan, and then almost all that cap space for another TK like player. Is TK really going to make that much difference for the Leafs this season and next.
Leafs only have one player on ELC, Knies. It's seem old story, no cheap young ELCs then the Leafs have to find one year aging third, fourth liners to fill the void.

Present value of a player is much larger than a guy who might be him in 3-5 years time - especially when you're trying to win now
6 févr. à 22 h 44
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: Random2152
Present value of a player is much larger than a guy who might be him in 3-5 years time - especially when you're trying to win now

Hasn't it been proven that trading depleting the prospect pool, and then have bloated top heavy cap doesn't work.
Big difference in "trying to win" and going a having a good plant to win.
7 févr. à 0 h 43
Démarrer sujet
Amirov Forever
Rejoint: mars 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 6,096
If the Blues are inclined to trade Tyler Tucker, then I would be all over it. Something like Abruzzese for Tucker could be a decent deal for the Leafs, Abruzzese has got no real shot with the Leafs despite being a super underrated prospect, and Tucker is fighting an uphill battle against Perunovich.

Tucker is a physical defensive defenseman who has shown glimpses of offensive potential, and is also from Longlac Ontario which just so happens to be about 20 mins away from my home town (his Aunt was my math teacher lmao)

Personal biases aside, I think he'd be a real solid fit. Getting him and Toropchenko together could be a tidy piece of work for the Leafs.

Some other guys I like are Texier and Kaliyev. Young, high upside guys should be what the Leafs go for, not the Chris Tanevs of the world. The only Flames defenseman I have any interest in is Hanifin (for the right price)
7 févr. à 1 h 49
Rejoint: mars 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 2,639
Quoting: Leafsfan98

It would fix that as it gives more potential $$$ to give to UFA defensemen

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this because the way I view $$$ allocation as far this roster goes is that somehow the GM needs to figure out how to get cheaper forwards so that $$$ saved goes directly to a much needed top RD.

A million in savings isn't really much when you consider that that more than 1 D has to be added to greatly improve the D core overall.

Anyway, the whole Barzal/Marner talk is just that, talk. Not really happening.
palhal et Trickster a aimé ceci.
7 févr. à 2 h 2
Quoting: aadoyle
Issue is there arent many Dman rn on Marners caliber that would be offered in a trade if at all. We already saw that with Willy

Nobody was gonna give Leafs what they wanted for him so Marner's probs gonna be the same

Its basically a penny to the dollar trade.

Like Dman off Marner's caliber are what teams lock up then never field trade offers for unless they ask out

You're not wrong in saying some of what you pointed out, it's just that some of us expected more out of Marner than we've gotten to date. What I mean by that is, Marner maybe (hopefully?) understands the plight of a Leafs fan and at least some of us had the hope he would rise above the bs between the lines but instead we get for example a quote from him before the second Winnipeg game of his situation being similar to Samsonov's.

One guy was put on waivers, there were somewhat serious questions about him being an NHL'er going forward if he hadn't figured it out....meanwhile, the other guy makes 10 sheets, hasn't once had to worry about being put on waivers and has the gall to compare situations with the other guy.

I'll let you guys figure out why some people have a love hate thing with Marner.
Trickster a aimé ceci.
7 févr. à 2 h 7
Quoting: MatthewsFan
You are not alone, I despise how this team is constructed but until Shanny is out of here, don’t see it ever changing.

No dog in the fight over a Marner - Barzal trade but IF they just let Marner walk and redistribute his cap space, I will definitely be ok with that.

Yeah after the Dubas stuff, it's pretty hard to think that much is going to change as long as Shanny is around.

I thought Shanny was a smart guy but 6 years later and the core is pretty much the same.

The question becomes, how long before one can call it insanity when you keep doing the same thing over and over again?
palhal et Trickster a aimé ceci.
7 févr. à 5 h 57
Just Keep Swimming
Hasn't it been proven that trading depleting the prospect pool, and then have bloated top heavy cap doesn't work.
Big difference in "trying to win" and going a having a good plant to win.

No. That's the standard league wide.
If you're trying to win. Good players now are far more valuable than players who might be good ina few years
aadoyle a aimé ceci.
7 févr. à 8 h 38
Leafs going to Leafs
Rejoint: déc. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 3,042
Quoting: oneX
We'll just have to agree to disagree on this because the way I view $$$ allocation as far this roster goes is that somehow the GM needs to figure out how to get cheaper forwards so that $$$ saved goes directly to a much needed top RD.

A million in savings isn't really much when you consider that that more than 1 D has to be added to greatly improve the D core overall.

Anyway, the whole Barzal/Marner talk is just that, talk. Not really happening.

Well, it's a 1.8 mill difference... To give you an idea, that's the difference between TJ Brodie and Josh Morrissey while updraging Gio to Perbix

And obviously, it's just for fun... I was really impressed by Barzal + he had no trade protection this year (It kicks in next year) so was fun to think about
7 févr. à 19 h 55
Rejoint: janv. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 5,295
I think for the most part Keefe is a good coach, but Brad has really f*cked him over here and it's probably time for a change.
7 févr. à 21 h 47
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 21,077
Not a pretty win but hey will take it
7 févr. à 23 h 18
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 21,077
You're not wrong in saying some of what you pointed out, it's just that some of us expected more out of Marner than we've gotten to date. What I mean by that is, Marner maybe (hopefully?) understands the plight of a Leafs fan and at least some of us had the hope he would rise above the bs between the lines but instead we get for example a quote from him before the second Winnipeg game of his situation being similar to Samsonov's.

One guy was put on waivers, there were somewhat serious questions about him being an NHL'er going forward if he hadn't figured it out....meanwhile, the other guy makes 10 sheets, hasn't once had to worry about being put on waivers and has the gall to compare situations with the other guy.

I'll let you guys figure out why some people have a love hate thing with Marner.

The funny thing is despite the fact yes his play could be better at times

Rn Marner's on pace for 35 goals and 95 points

For an offseason by his standards that ain't bad
oneX a aimé ceci.
8 févr. à 11 h 30
Leafs going to Leafs
solid game by the fellas
8 févr. à 19 h 15
Rip
Mentions "j'aime": 3,127

A crisis of confidence is very similar. Pointing at one being put on waivers is a weird comment to make
oneX a aimé ceci.
8 févr. à 19 h 16
Rip
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
I think for the most part Keefe is a good coach, but Brad has really f*cked him over here and it's probably time for a change.

Keefe sucks. Should have fired him in the off season. He never changes and what he does, isn't good enough.
8 févr. à 19 h 16
I might actually just end it all if this Ristolainen stuff comes to fruition
8 févr. à 19 h 17
Quoting: RipNasty
Keefe sucks. Should have fired him in the off season. He never changes and what he does, isn't good enough.

Cool man
8 févr. à 19 h 21
Rip
Cool man

He's been successful due to having a terrific roster. In the regular season you implement a system and his was decent for the regular season but come playoffs he never adjusts and gets out coached all the time. I agree the roster doesn't fit his style but he just can't adjust to anything
9 févr. à 12 h 56
Quoting: aadoyle
The funny thing is despite the fact yes his play could be better at times

Rn Marner's on pace for 35 goals and 95 points

For an offseason by his standards that ain't bad

A crisis of confidence is very similar. Pointing at one being put on waivers is a weird comment to make

I understand the stats part of all this. The part people get frustrated with Marner's comments are when the team/individuals play ****ty for a period and a half or two periods and then come out guns aand after the game say "we played a good game".

If you have no problem being given your flowers when you play a good/complete game then ya gotta own it when you play ****ty.

As for the waiver comment, Samsonov was no doubt playing to stay in the NHL. Can the same be said about Marner? Absolutely not.

Bottom line is, yes players have crisis of confidence throughout their career, but...man, compare yourself to your past performances instead of others on your team because stuff like waivers, your salary, and the leadership part of being on the team can really make you look like an ass.

Lastly, of course people want to see the hometown kid win, including me despite how you may feel after this post, just be honest, if you played great, own it, if play ****ty, OWN IT.
Trickster a aimé ceci.
9 févr. à 19 h 26
Rip
I understand the stats part of all this. The part people get frustrated with Marner's comments are when the team/individuals play ****ty for a period and a half or two periods and then come out guns aand after the game say "we played a good game".

If you have no problem being given your flowers when you play a good/complete game then ya gotta own it when you play ****ty.

As for the waiver comment, Samsonov was no doubt playing to stay in the NHL. Can the same be said about Marner? Absolutely not.

Bottom line is, yes players have crisis of confidence throughout their career, but...man, compare yourself to your past performances instead of others on your team because stuff like waivers, your salary, and the leadership part of being on the team can really make you look like an ass.

Lastly, of course people want to see the hometown kid win, including me despite how you may feel after this post, just be honest, if you played great, own it, if play ****ty, OWN IT.

Marner is on pace for 95 points. And people are comparing him to Samsonov. Leaf fans are a joke. Yeah Marner is frustrating in the playoffs but he's a terrific player.
Saskleaf et oneX a aimé ceci.
9 févr. à 22 h 5
Rip
I might actually just end it all if this Ristolainen stuff comes to fruition

If that happens we all know that Dubas was the sensible guy in the room keeping Shanahan from driving the team into the ground. We all should have zero faith in Treliving, he did a very mediocre at best job in Calgary.
10 févr. à 0 h 23
Leafs going to Leafs
Marner is on pace for 95 points. And people are comparing him to Samsonov. Leaf fans are a joke. Yeah Marner is frustrating in the playoffs but he's a terrific player.

Nah, the quote was Marner comparing HIMSELF to Sammy
10 févr. à 1 h 30

Uh....I didn't compare Marner to Samsonov, Marner did that.

You missed my point entirely. Whatever.
Trickster a aimé ceci.

To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage