SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2023-2024 NHL Discussion Thread #3: After Further Review...

12 févr. à 21 h 45
Rejoint: mai 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 18,465
Quoting: Leafsfan98
Because you'd think if the Leafs players and coach go and defend their guy hardcore, the Sens would do the same right?

Why is that answer no if Greig's so blatantly in the right?

Preempting the league’s ruling (before the actual hearing) with coach complaining that the league is targeting the Leafs is childish.

Players responding by calling for more violence in the league is just dumb.

Where are the adults?
mokumboi, Pompadour_de_Armstrong, KSIxSKULLS and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
12 févr. à 22 h 21
GM CRIME DAWG
Rejoint: mars 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 2,704
BU Terriers musta lead all categories in the Beanpot Championship except one - the final score clock!
4-3 Huskies in OT!
ricochetii a aimé ceci.
12 févr. à 23 h 55
mokumboi
Rejoint: avr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,389

Rielly's principle point of contact is the shoulder...

Holy hell, are you still flailing? "It rode up" because it followed the trajectory Rielly sent it on. If you're going to be this divorced from reality, please don't operate any machinery or cutlery. Or shoelaces.
13 févr. à 0 h 18
Bedard23
Rejoint: mai 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 4,485
And now they’re calling Jake Wahlman’s griddy from last season a code violation

Like seriously **** the on-ice code, these ****ers are more sensitive then my skin in cold water
dannibalcorpse a aimé ceci.
13 févr. à 0 h 21
Quoting: McGruff
BU Terriers musta lead all categories in the Beanpot Championship except one - the final score clock!
4-3 Huskies in OT!

Since the tournament started 70 years ago, no Boston team has ever won an national championship without first winning the Beanpot.
McGruff a aimé ceci.
13 févr. à 1 h 10
Go Habs Go
Rejoint: mars 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 4,091
Quoting: IconicHawk

Like seriously **** the on-ice code, these ****ers are more sensitive then my skin in cold water

Shouldn't be an issue with celebrating a game winning goal. As long as it's not a taunt, it's your moment.
If you go twerk in front of the opposing bench, you're provoking a response.

Hammering a slapshot into an empty net from 2 feet away is a provocation. You already have the goal secured at that point unless you do something stupid.
If anything you're more likely to screw up a guaranteed goal by showboating like that, his own team (at least his coach) should be reining him in for that reason alone.
aadoyle, CantStopWontStop, Leafsfan98 and 2 others a aimé ceci.
13 févr. à 1 h 13
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 21,075
Quoting: ricochetii
Shouldn't be an issue with celebrating a game winning goal. As long as it's not a taunt, it's your moment.
If you go twerk in front of the opposing bench, you're provoking a response.

Hammering a slapshot into an empty net from 2 feet away is a provocation. You already have the goal secured at that point unless you do something stupid.
If anything you're more likely to screw up a guaranteed goal by showboating like that, his own team (at least his coach) should be reining him in for that reason alone.

Yea goal celly's after scoring a goalie are fine its when you puck around with ENG your gonna get cooked

As there be a code like honestly if slapshot ENG were okay everyone would do it.

Greig learned his lesson and is lucky it was not against FLA or something
Leafsfan98 a aimé ceci.
13 févr. à 6 h 24
WentWughes
Rejoint: nov. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 10,296
Quoting: IconicHawk

and you wonder why they melt in the playoffs every year. Bunch of soft babies
13 févr. à 7 h 23
Rejoint: janv. 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 484
It’s a rare day that the teams playing in the upcoming stanley cup finals meet for a regular season matchup.

Hope all of you enjoy.

Blues will win this one 4-3 OT. Thanks kasperi kapanen.
13 févr. à 7 h 53
Leafs going to Leafs
Rejoint: déc. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 3,039
Quoting: dannibalcorpse
I listened to Friedman's radio hit from earlier today where he talked about it, and all he literally talked about was emotion, and how what Grieg did is going to rile up your emotions if you're on the losing side. So yeah, while he and I might have differing views on how much Rielly should be suspended, I don't really see him saying anything justifying Rielly's actions the way you're trying to push all the blame onto Grieg.

Here's one thing I don't think you understand: whether or not we agree on which play was worse between Trouba's or Rielly's, I want both of those out of this game. Most people learn by the time they hit kindergarten that two wrongs doesn't make a right, so sitting here whining about this guy or that guy not getting penalized just makes you look stupid - no rational adult should look at what Morgan Rielly did and say "you know what, it's bad but I don't think it should really be punished too harshly because some guy on another team got away with it." If you really think that's the smart take to come away from this with, I mean, sure, go for it, obviously you don't care about looking stupid.

The amount of length you're going to to put this on Greig is embarrassing. What he did might have been showboating, but again: if you don't want to get shown up, win the game. If you can't win the game, shut up, take your medicine, and if you're still salty about it, make them pay the next time you see each other the best way you can: by beating them. Because Morgan Rielly couldn't control his emotions and decided it was better to piss his pants and throw a fit over a game his team lost, he's going to miss time and leave his team shorthanded now. What part of the "code" applies here?

"I was surprised it was the potential of an in person, I really was"... Is what Friedman said... and frankly, this is a suspension worth 1-2 games... Not 10 like others have said, not 5+ like others here... It's a 1-2 game suspension historically... Blake Lizotte did was also worse: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAa72--gEVM (1 game)...

The reason why Greig's also to blame here, if if he didn't turtle, we wouldn't be having this conversation... Watch the Morrissey clip again, Morrissey expected to fight and was willing to... Greig turtled and the stick rode up from the shoulder to the head...

If Rielly strictly hit shoulder, would we be having this conversation? No
CantStopWontStop a aimé ceci.
13 févr. à 8 h 3
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: NHLfan10506
Preempting the league’s ruling (before the actual hearing) with coach complaining that the league is targeting the Leafs is childish.

Players responding by calling for more violence in the league is just dumb.

Where are the adults?

Minus it being statistically true, there's a chart going around, don't know where it is, but it was someone calculating GMs apart from Ms, and times suspended... Leafs were number 1 most times suspended team since 2017-18 and second in the league to games lost via suspension (Thanks Tom Wilson)... It makes sense

As for Reaves, aren't the Leafs declared as a 'soft team'; "I don't see how a kid that young thinks it's appropriate to do something like that," (Reaves), even to this day... Reaves is saying that a team like Florida or Boston would have done worse without any supplementary discipline and wanted OTT

The adult is Claude Giroux, whom Marek and Friedman speculated that Giroux wasn't happy with what Greig did...

Quoting: mokumboi
Holy hell, are you still flailing? "It rode up" because it followed the trajectory Rielly sent it on. If you're going to be this divorced from reality, please don't operate any machinery or cutlery. Or shoelaces.

Please stop trying to troll, it doesn't work
13 févr. à 10 h 19
mokumboi

Please stop trying to troll, it doesn't work

Any truth you don't want to hear/can't handle = trolling. Known as the Leafs AGM special. It's just sad. But hey, enjoy hoodwinking yourself.
13 févr. à 10 h 55
Minus it being statistically true, there's a chart going around, don't know where it is, but it was someone calculating GMs apart from Ms, and times suspended... Leafs were number 1 most times suspended team since 2017-18 and second in the league to games lost via suspension (Thanks Tom Wilson)... It makes sense

As for Reaves, aren't the Leafs declared as a 'soft team'; "I don't see how a kid that young thinks it's appropriate to do something like that," (Reaves), even to this day... Reaves is saying that a team like Florida or Boston would have done worse without any supplementary discipline and wanted OTT

The adult is Claude Giroux, whom Marek and Friedman speculated that Giroux wasn't happy with what Greig did...

Giroux's was quoted directly...saying he did not like the hit.
Yet two Leafs reporters interpret as something else.
Typical Leaf bubble.

Leafs fans believe they are being unfairly targeted by league? Because one guy may have to sit an extra game or two?

Try this...

1952-1972: Bettman grew up diehard Ranger fan
1993: Bettman becomes commissioner
1994: NYR win cup (no rule changes)
1995: NJD win cup (multiple rule changes directly target NJD system)
1996: NJD miss playoffs (no rule changes)
1997: NJD #1 team in conference (Multiple rule changes to goalie from playing puck, the first "Broduer rules")
1998: NJD #1 team in conference (More changes to size of crease)
1999: NJD #1 team in conference (NJD had long abandoned trap, so anti-obstruction rules loosened)
2000: NJD win cup
2001: NJD lost in Finals
2003: NJD win cup (More Bettman rule changes, "Brodeur Trapzoid rule")
2006: NJD sign Mogilny, league approves contract, when Mogilny gets hurt, league doesn't allow relief (passes new "Mogilny rule")
2010: NJD acquire Kovalchuk, extend him summer. Bettman blocks contract. LA Kings find out before NJD, submit offer to Kovalchuk. Arbitration shows no provisions of CBA were violated. Bettman still disallows and penalizes NJD a top-10 pick and multiple fines.
2011: NJD has number of injuries, but league denies LTIR relief...forcing NJD to ice teams as few as 14 skaters, 1 goalie.
2013: Kovalhcuk 'retires', league forces New Jersey to pay early retirement penalty (no other teams had to pay for players leaving after lockout)
2018: Kovalchuk returns to NHL, denies NJD request to eliminate 'retirement penalty'

...and that is not even half of it. You guys have no idea.
13 févr. à 11 h 4
we miss leo k
Rejoint: févr. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 5,123
"I was surprised it was the potential of an in person, I really was"... Is what Friedman said... and frankly, this is a suspension worth 1-2 games... Not 10 like others have said, not 5+ like others here... It's a 1-2 game suspension historically... Blake Lizotte did was also worse: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAa72--gEVM (1 game)...

Great job cherry-picking the one sentence from Friedman's 11-minute radio hit that happens to agree with you while ignoring the rest of the context he gave as to what he thinks the league is thinking. And, once again, saying "well they didn't get in trouble for something similar!!" is something most of us grew out of when we were in grade school. Do the crime, do the time.

The reason why Greig's also to blame here, if if he didn't turtle, we wouldn't be having this conversation... Watch the Morrissey clip again, Morrissey expected to fight and was willing to... Greig turtled and the stick rode up from the shoulder to the head...

Again, I don't understand how you can compare the Morrissey clip (or the Trouba clip before, or whatever other useless comp you're gonna come up with next) to this. They all came out of hockey plays - what Rielly did was after a goal was scored, after the whistle, and was in no way related to any sort of hockey play. It was a guy throwing a fit and using his stick as a weapon. You keep blaming Greig for turtling - what the hell else is he supposed to do with a guy running at him with his stick out? I could almost accept you harping about Grieg turtling if Rielly skated up and threw the gloves off - but to accuse a guy of reacting to someone skating up to crosscheck him in the head? It's pure victim-blaming.

If Rielly strictly hit shoulder, would we be having this conversation? No

Yes, we 100% would. Maybe we wouldn't be talking about a 5+ game suspension, but we'd still be talking about how Rielly can't control his emotions and is potentially costing his team wins by putting his own emotions over the team. And that's the thing I keep coming back to - you keep acting like Rielly is keeping up "the code" while ignoring the fact that he's now going to make his team play short-handed for at least 5 games. He could've made the choice to drop the gloves, he could've just ragdolled or facewashed Grieg, he could've done any number of other things. But he made the selfish decision to use his stick as a weapon and targeted a guy's head because he couldn't keep his emotions in check.
13 févr. à 11 h 12
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: NHLfan10506
Giroux's was quoted directly...saying he did not like the hit.
Yet two Leafs reporters interpret as something else.
Typical Leaf bubble.

Leafs fans believe they are being unfairly targeted by league? Because one guy may have to sit an extra game or two?

Try this...

1952-1972: Bettman grew up diehard Ranger fan
1993: Bettman becomes commissioner
1994: NYR win cup (no rule changes)
1995: NJD win cup (multiple rule changes directly target NJD system)
1996: NJD miss playoffs (no rule changes)
1997: NJD #1 team in conference (Multiple rule changes to goalie from playing puck, the first "Broduer rules")
1998: NJD #1 team in conference (More changes to size of crease)
1999: NJD #1 team in conference (NJD had long abandoned trap, so anti-obstruction rules loosened)
2000: NJD win cup
2001: NJD lost in Finals
2003: NJD win cup (More Bettman rule changes, "Brodeur Trapzoid rule")
2006: NJD sign Mogilny, league approves contract, when Mogilny gets hurt, league doesn't allow relief (passes new "Mogilny rule")
2010: NJD acquire Kovalchuk, extend him summer. Bettman blocks contract. LA Kings find out before NJD, submit offer to Kovalchuk. Arbitration shows no provisions of CBA were violated. Bettman still disallows and penalizes NJD a top-10 pick and multiple fines.
2011: NJD has number of injuries, but league denies LTIR relief...forcing NJD to ice teams as few as 14 skaters, 1 goalie.
2013: Kovalhcuk 'retires', league forces New Jersey to pay early retirement penalty (no other teams had to pay for players leaving after lockout)
2018: Kovalchuk returns to NHL, denies NJD request to eliminate 'retirement penalty'

...and that is not even half of it. You guys have no idea.

The "two Leafs reporters" were Eliotte Friedman and Jeff Marek, are you telling me that they are diehard Leafs fans? Or even have a bias towards the leafs in general? No

Those rule changes were bc viewership was down... And it's not like the Devils had 2 1rst overall picks in 3 years or something... Right?

It's fair to be frustrated when, a team is considered soft, they are always the ones getting suspended more and lose more guys to games suspended over the last 6 number of years... Especially when the commissioner's been very vocal about trying to grow the game in the US... The times suspended don't include the upcoming Rielly suspension
13 févr. à 11 h 13
Leafs going to Leafs
Any truth you don't want to hear/can't handle = trolling. Known as the Leafs AGM special. It's just sad. But hey, enjoy hoodwinking yourself.

The notorious Blues homer trying to call others out
13 févr. à 11 h 16
torontos finest
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,197
what number of games do you guys think would piss off the most amount of people?

feel like 4 games is that number.
13 févr. à 11 h 23
mokumboi
The notorious Blues homer trying to call others out

Heh. Bro, are you really gonna go there right now, in this particular discussion? tears of joy Yes, I'm the notorious Blues homer because I won't agree to obvious fleece trades for the Blues best players. I'm consistently terrible like that.

Hey man, no hard feelings, you have a good one. Best of luck on your afternoon, but not on your evening.
13 févr. à 11 h 27
Leafs going to Leafs
Great job cherry-picking the one sentence from Friedman's 11-minute radio hit that happens to agree with you while ignoring the rest of the context he gave as to what he thinks the league is thinking. And, once again, saying "well they didn't get in trouble for something similar!!" is something most of us grew out of when we were in grade school. Do the crime, do the time.

Yeah, because what the league thinks isn't in line with what should happen... It's never been like that... If that's your excuse for why Rielly deserves anymore than 3, than you are wrong... Rielly's main point of contact was the shoulder, and it rode up to the head, Greig's also fine after the play and Rielly's decision didn't come out of nowhere... That's shouldn't be more than 2 games...

Again, I don't understand how you can compare the Morrissey clip (or the Trouba clip before, or whatever other useless comp you're gonna come up with next) to this. They all came out of hockey plays - what Rielly did was after a goal was scored, after the whistle, and was in no way related to any sort of hockey play. It was a guy throwing a fit and using his stick as a weapon. You keep blaming Greig for turtling - what the hell else is he supposed to do with a guy running at him with his stick out? I could almost accept you harping about Grieg turtling if Rielly skated up and threw the gloves off - but to accuse a guy of reacting to someone skating up to crosscheck him in the head? It's pure victim-blaming.

Neither were! Trouba's was after a scrummed everyone was debriefing and he, two handed, chopped on Fredric's head... There was no hockey play there! Lizzotte, the play was in a different zone, and Morrissey was willing to drop his gloves (which he did, Greig turtled, guaranteed if Greig dropped gloves, we wouldn't have batted an eye)

Yes, we 100% would. Maybe we wouldn't be talking about a 5+ game suspension, but we'd still be talking about how Rielly can't control his emotions and is potentially costing his team wins by putting his own emotions over the team. And that's the thing I keep coming back to - you keep acting like Rielly is keeping up "the code" while ignoring the fact that he's now going to make his team play short-handed for at least 5 games. He could've made the choice to drop the gloves, he could've just ragdolled or facewashed Grieg, he could've done any number of other things. But he made the selfish decision to use his stick as a weapon and targeted a guy's head because he couldn't keep his emotions in check.

Rielly went to rough Greig up via cross checks... It's happened countless times, the only difference is that Greig turtled, making the stick ride up to the head... What's stopping a guy like Tkachuk or Cousins from doing the same in a playoff series in the middle of a scrum? If you want, I can show countless examples or guys roughing each other up via cross checks...

And it's not that bad of a punishment for the Leafs, they can rally behind it and could go 4-1-0 (as they've gone 14-2-1 when Rielly wasn't playing last year via injury). Ask anybody in that Leafs room, and they all support Rielly's decision...

And please, when does someone face wash as a retaliatory act
13 févr. à 11 h 30
Leafs going to Leafs
Heh. Bro, are you really gonna go there right now, in this particular discussion? tears of joy Yes, I'm the notorious Blues homer because I won't agree to obvious fleece trades for the Blues best players. I'm consistently terrible like that.

Hey man, no hard feelings, you have a good one. Best of luck on your afternoon, but not on your evening.

Gotta respond with something after being called: "Known as the Leafs AGM special" 🤷‍♂️

No hard feelings either, hopefully you enjoy your Calle Rosen hat trick in a 4-2 win
mokumboi a aimé ceci.
13 févr. à 11 h 31
mokumboi
Gotta respond with something after being called: "Known as the Leafs AGM special" 🤷‍♂️

No hard feelings either, hopefully you enjoy your Calle Rosen hat trick in a 4-2 win

You know that because you said it, it now has to happen... right?
Leafsfan98 et Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
13 févr. à 11 h 35
Leafs going to Leafs
You know that because you said it, it now has to happen... right?

I've fully prepared my Steve Dangle notifications too...

I was thinking a title like:

BRAD.... CALLE ROS3N?!?!?!?!
mokumboi et Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
13 févr. à 11 h 51
mokumboi
Not to bring more sunshine to the thread, but does anyone know what time Rielly's hearing is set for? I heard it on TV, but now I don't remember. Was it 1 pm ET?

Edit: Never mind, I found it. 1 pm ET. oh to be a fly on the wall...
13 févr. à 12 h 30
we miss leo k
Rejoint: févr. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 5,123
Quoting: mondo
what number of games do you guys think would piss off the most amount of people?

100%. Everyone who's already pissed he's getting the in-person hearing will still think it's too much, and everyone who thought he deserved the in-person hearing will be pissed he got less than 5. Now that you've put it out there I can't imagine anything but that happening.
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
13 févr. à 12 h 31
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 21,075
Modifié 13 févr. à 12 h 44
Quoting: mondo

2-3 would probs break the internet but hey based on what we saw last year would be the norm

As man there was some **** back then only getting 1 game lul

Engvall tried to chop someone's head off and got a single game

Lizotte crosschecked someone in the face who dropped the gloves ready to fight

To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage