SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2023-2024 NHL Discussion Thread #3: After Further Review...

24 janv. à 15 h 45
Démarrer sujet
Ban Price trades
Rejoint: oct. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 6,455
Quoting: Turbo
It's a fair point I guess but you're ignoring that KD has already made more 1st and 2nd round picks in 2 years than Chia had in his entire time as EDM's GM. And he already has enough 1sts and 2nds to double Chia's numbers in 2 more years

I think the comparison is a poor one given that Chiarelli started with the selection of McDavid and the club was effectively thrust into "compete now" mode by their owner. Davidson had a draft leading up to Bedard and the Blackhawks were already comfortably nestled into mediocrity at that point and appear committed to the process for at least the remainder of this season.

Is Chicago starting their rebuild better than Edmonton did? Yes. Does this mean they should be forgiven for squandering two assets that could have been turned into (at minimum) a pair of top-100 selections in the upcoming draft? No.
24 janv. à 15 h 47
Rejoint: mai 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 18,585
Quoting: ricochetii
Unavailable due to reasons other than Injury or illness would likely put them as "non-roster".
They wouldn't count against the roster or cap limits.
You must return to compliance when re-activating those players.

I believe they don’t count against roster limits but count against the cap. So like IR.
ricochetii a aimé ceci.
24 janv. à 15 h 53
Go Habs Go
Rejoint: mars 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 4,091
Quoting: CantStopWontStop
I don’t know that the contracts will be voided. The illegal acts occurred during a different contract window. I’m unsure what language in the contract could be considered unmet - I’m doubting they have a “did you ever do anything bad” clause. The PA needs to protect its contracts anytime they’re ever involved in discipline or decision, even when it’s a real real crappy situation. Since there isn’t substantial precedent, they’ll have to sail down this river and find out where it goes together. Perrys won’t be voided either I don’t think. No way the PA will let a player have an alcohol related incident result in total contract void when the teams provide alcohol. At best Perry will force no arbitration, but the situation will be strongly considered non-prescedental if it doesn’t go to arb. I’m guessing it gets privately arbitrated and he gets like a quarter to half his expected pay.

Termination is a more stringent process.
The more likely approach is indefinite suspensions at the league level, which would fall under whatever language they use for "conduct unbecoming".

Termination requires a "material breach".
Being in jail for example, could qualify as such. If you have made yourself unavailable to fulfill the contract demands, the purpose of the contract is no longer valid. (For example)

One or both could be used in this instance and it will start from the commissioner's office. Teams may have their own policies, but they are more limited and open to grievances than league rulings.
CantStopWontStop a aimé ceci.
24 janv. à 15 h 54
Rejoint: août 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 111
Quoting: BeterChiarelli
I think the comparison is a poor one given that Chiarelli started with the selection of McDavid and the club was effectively thrust into "compete now" mode by their owner. Davidson had a draft leading up to Bedard and the Blackhawks were already comfortably nestled into mediocrity at that point and appear committed to the process for at least the remainder of this season.

Is Chicago starting their rebuild better than Edmonton did? Yes. Does this mean they should be forgiven for squandering two assets that could have been turned into (at minimum) a pair of top-100 selections in the upcoming draft? No.

It's ultimately a luxury they feel they can afford to take. Chicago has the most valuable pool of upcoming picks right now and KD values establishing continuity and culture over mid round picks. Not to mention some of Bowman's leftovers have turned out better than expected (mainly Vlasic). They'll have multiple waves of prospects getting shots at the NHL level in the next ~2.5 seasons and they want them stepping into what they feel is the best situation while still rebuilding. Whether or not culture and a stable room outweighs mid round pics, only time will tell
BeterChiarelli a aimé ceci.
24 janv. à 15 h 55
Go Habs Go
Quoting: NHLfan10506
I believe they don’t count against roster limits but count against the cap. So like IR.

I'd have to look it up, but iirc non-roster only has actual dollar implications, not cap dollars.
Cmiiw!
24 janv. à 15 h 59
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 21,118
Quoting: IconicHawk
No way they’d want to return after they were traded

I mean Bjugstad decided to go back to Ari and the 5000 seat arena after EDM traded for him

If that kind of money was waiting for them of course they would come back
24 janv. à 16 h 4
CELEBRINI IS A SHARK
Rejoint: sept. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 12,854
Quoting: BeterChiarelli
Which is why we're trying to curtail any speculation - or conjecture if you want to be picky about your previous reply - until it's in official print.

Stating anything along the lines of "well it seems like this person, them, and that other fellow" doesn't add anything to the conversation about what needs to change in the culture right now. That's what's important for these boards right now. Fans will be quick to point out roster and cap implications but it's just noise. From the very onset the only important discussions we as fans should be having about this case or any other is how do we affect change in an environment that continuously allows things like this to happen?

I agree that we’re not here to pull out pitchforks and what not falsely - but also in the most respectful way possible, not talking about thing is part of the problem.

In my eyes right, and feel free to disagree, to not allow criticism is not helping change the environment. Again, respectfully - if you’re Formenton - London issues basically a demand saying they MUST come face charges without their names being publicly stated. And Formenton who well… yknow… all that’s transpired with him.. now he flies home to Canada the day of that demand from across the world..

I’m sorry but I ain’t giving that guy anymore shade from the spotlight until there’s EVIDENCE THAT PROVIDES doubt.

And all 4 of the NHL guys could be bystanders, but again.. by not sparking conversation is partly whats allowed this stain to be hidden for years and the guilty to roam innocently.

Even more so let’s just make up: Peter John made millions which will cover all the fees, problems, and bail OR WHATEVER, that will come as a result from this trial, while Jane Doe has just been tormented for years, and hockey Canada didn’t want anyone to speak about things.

So if Rick Westhead is going to spark conversation on what’s going on with these 5 players. I don’t see why sparking conversations here is wrong. I ain’t saying anyone’s name but the ONE guy who I don’t believe should have his name is hidden.

Not tryna say I’m right or you’re wrong. Just giving a different perspective.
24 janv. à 16 h 5
I'd have to look it up, but iirc non-roster only has actual dollar implications, not cap dollars.
Cmiiw!

Unless they get terminated or suspended, I’m pretty sure the cap hit counts…but the roster spot does not (it’s the latter that I am unsure about…we may not even get the roster relief unless we designate them as non-roster, or put them through waivers).

But right now NJD does not have a full roster and cannot add until we make a move.
ricochetii a aimé ceci.
24 janv. à 16 h 8
Bedard23
Rejoint: mai 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 4,491
Quoting: aadoyle
I mean Bjugstad decided to go back to Ari and the 5000 seat arena after EDM traded for him

If that kind of money was waiting for them of course they would come back

Difference: Arizona is on the cusp of returning to relevance, Chicago isn’t
24 janv. à 16 h 8
Démarrer sujet
Ban Price trades
Rejoint: oct. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 6,455
It's ultimately a luxury they feel they can afford to take. Chicago has the most valuable pool of upcoming picks right now and KD values establishing continuity and culture over mid round picks. Not to mention some of Bowman's leftovers have turned out better than expected (mainly Vlasic). They'll have multiple waves of prospects getting shots at the NHL level in the next ~2.5 seasons and they want them stepping into what they feel is the best situation while still rebuilding. Whether or not culture and a stable room outweighs mid round pics, only time will tell

I think Sabres fans can attest to leaving at least SOME NHL talent on the roster, so I'll happily concede that there is value to be had in not completely gutting the roster. I still think Mrazek at a minimum was a poor extension even with that concession in mind: there are only 64 NHL jobs available for goaltenders, there was bound to be at least one - including Mrazek - that would have played in Chicago for a paycheque.

It's a risky luxury, as I don't think there's enough elite upcoming talent on the Hawks' roster to justify taking those kinds of liberties just yet. I like the cluster of Bedard, Korchinski, Moore, and Nazar. I hope Reichel keeps the wheels on his game to remain in conversation of that core. Adding Levshunov to the mix definitely helps. Maybe Hemming with the Lightning pick? Everything beyond the first round selections however is a crapshoot, which is why adding mid-to-late draft selections is still really important. I don't know if Chicago has enough of the pieces moving from the "maybe" to the "absolutely" column quick enough to signal the end of the rebuild.

Find a long-term goaltender sooner than later.
24 janv. à 16 h 13
Go Habs Go
Unless they get terminated or suspended, I’m pretty sure the cap hit counts…but the roster spot does not (it’s the latter that I am unsure about…we may not even get the roster relief unless we designate them as non-roster, or put them through waivers).

But right now NJD does not have a full roster and cannot add until we make a move.

At a glance I found Wilson as an example case.
It appears he was given non-roster status but still counted against the cap, so I believe you are correct.

Non roster is granted by the commissioner and I don't see any reason for refusal. This is pretty much the kind of situation that demands a team not be punished with a roster limit due to a player being unavailable beyond their control.
24 janv. à 16 h 25
Rejoint: mai 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 554
5 players from the 2018 team asked to present themselves to London Ontario
Cal Foote and Michael Mcloud from NJ given leave of absence, Carter Hart of Philly given one, Alex Formenton given one from his Swiss team per Friedman and Dillon Dube is no longer on the official roster on nhl.com
24 janv. à 16 h 25
At a glance I found Wilson as an example case.
It appears he was given non-roster status but still counted against the cap, so I believe you are correct.

Non roster is granted by the commissioner and I don't see any reason for refusal. This is pretty much the kind of situation that demands a team not be punished with a roster limit due to a player being unavailable beyond their control.

I believe there is a short-term “non-roster” move that teams can make (I believe 7 days or less).

There has to be some solution…just unclear what it is while we wait in limbo.

But is it stands today, NJD cannot make any moves yet unless they put people on LTIR. May have to ice a team of 19 at first.
24 janv. à 16 h 26
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 21,118
Difference: Arizona is on the cusp of returning to relevance, Chicago isn’t

Money talks like who in FA would give either of these guys the contracts CHI did

Bjugstand went back to Ari probs for the money as 2.1m was probs the highest offer he got
24 janv. à 16 h 38
WentWughes
Rejoint: nov. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 10,300
He's made 5 1st rnd picks and 5 2nd rnd picks in 2 years. Has 2 1sts and 3 2nds this year, and 2 1sts and 2 2nds the year after that. Idk how that's 'minimal draft stock'.

It's less than he easily could've gotten. He's not maximizing returns and taking advantage of the market.
24 janv. à 16 h 39
WentWughes
Rejoint: nov. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 10,300
Nobody will pay high for our players, we’ve already learned from Max Domi, nobody will pay stupidly high prices for players on **** teams

We've seen Montreal get 1st round and 2nd round picks for lower tier players. There is definitely a market there, clearly KD doesn't know how to negotiate.
zk97 a aimé ceci.
24 janv. à 16 h 55
Rejoint: janv. 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 487
Modifié 24 janv. à 17 h 12
Termination is a more stringent process.
The more likely approach is indefinite suspensions at the league level, which would fall under whatever language they use for "conduct unbecoming".

Termination requires a "material breach".
Being in jail for example, could qualify as such. If you have made yourself unavailable to fulfill the contract demands, the purpose of the contract is no longer valid. (For example)

One or both could be used in this instance and it will start from the commissioner's office. Teams may have their own policies, but they are more limited and open to grievances than league rulings.

I guess this scenario is a bit tougher as far as material breach: the process has a lot of time from now until resolution.

It is the league saying the players cannot participate which is why they are not participating, as opposed to being incarcerated. They could show up to fulfill their contract but the league has stopped that.

Given how these processes go, you’d think it’s possible the remainder of the season occurs while these individuals are not yet through the process.

I think there’s a shot they’re all paid. Paid again is another q.

I’m not defending them. Just trying to look thru different lenses. Suspended with pay until further notice type of thing. The process is what has to find the truth and produce the result the rest react to.
24 janv. à 17 h 4
Go Habs Go
I believe there is a short-term “non-roster” move that teams can make (I believe 7 days or less).

There has to be some solution…just unclear what it is while we wait in limbo.

But is it stands today, NJD cannot make any moves yet unless they put people on LTIR. May have to ice a team of 19 at first.

Had a chance to check ...

Quote:
16.12 Non-Roster Player.
(a) Upon approval of the Commissioner, a Player who is unavailable to play due to
reasons other than injury, illness or disability (e.g., birth of a child, attending a funeral) will be
designated a Non-Roster Player, and during such period of his designation as such he will not
count against the Club's Active Roster limit and his Club may replace such Player, provided,
however, that the Non-Roster Player's Player Salary and Bonuses and his replacement's Player
Salary and Bonuses are each included in calculating a Club's Actual Club Salary and Averaged
Club Salary, and the Players' Share, for purposes of Article 50

Furthermore, the language for 16.11d (IR) and 16.12a (non-roster) are the same with respect to the highlighted above.
Since we know the interpretation of that language as it applies to IR, that would also apply to NR.
The wording is "inclusive" meaning it impacts which is specifically mentioned.
The cap is not mentioned, so we can reasonably assume there is no cap exemption.
Conclusion is that IR and NR operate the same, the difference is simply in how you are designated (IR is injury/illness related, NR is for availability impacted by reasons that do not qualify a player for IR. (ie: Births, deaths, and jury duty)).

Quote:
18-A.2 Commissioner Authority to Impose Discipline for Off-Ice Conduct. Whenever
the Commissioner determines that a Player has violated a League Rule applicable to Players
(other than Playing Rules subjecting the Player to potential Supplementary Discipline for On-Ice
Conduct), or has been or is guilty of conduct (whether during or outside the playing season) that
is detrimental to or against the welfare of the League or the game of hockey, he may discipline
such Player in any or all of the following respects:
(a) by expelling or suspending such Player for a definite or indefinite period;
(b) by cancelling any SPC that such Player has with any Member Club; or
(c) by imposing a fine on the Player not exceeding the maximum permissible fine
under Section 18.7(b).

Thought this was interesting, and I believe the option would be very much on the table in this case.
CantStopWontStop a aimé ceci.
24 janv. à 17 h 38
Had a chance to check ...

Furthermore, the language for 16.11d (IR) and 16.12a (non-roster) are the same with respect to the highlighted above.
Since we know the interpretation of that language as it applies to IR, that would also apply to NR.
The wording is "inclusive" meaning it impacts which is specifically mentioned.
The cap is not mentioned, so we can reasonably assume there is no cap exemption.
Conclusion is that IR and NR operate the same, the difference is simply in how you are designated (IR is injury/illness related, NR is for availability impacted by reasons that do not qualify a player for IR. (ie: Births, deaths, and jury duty)).

Thought this was interesting, and I believe the option would be very much on the table in this case.

Thanks…helpful.

18-A.2(b)…imagine if league stepped in and cancelled everyone’s contracts before their day in court, the PA would fight it.

Could be a pre-negotiated plan in place with PA about how to handle…have known this was coming for a while, just didn’t know who.

What a mess.
24 janv. à 17 h 49
Go Habs Go
Thanks…helpful.

18-A.2(b)…imagine if league stepped in and cancelled everyone’s contracts before their day in court, the PA would fight it.

Could be a pre-negotiated plan in place with PA about how to handle…have known this was coming for a while, just didn’t know who.

What a mess.

If it goes to trial it won't matter. They will remain non-roster until a verdict and their active contracts will have expired by then.
Any plea other than not-guilty could be a termination of their contracts and/or indefinite suspension.
Teams will unfortunately have to deal with it in the meantime.
24 janv. à 18 h 38
GM CRIME DAWG
Rejoint: mars 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 2,704
Quoting: Pompadour_de_Armstrong
If you have guys that fit in well and are the type of guys that you are trying to build a culture around, why not just bite the bullet and resign them? At least as far as Dickenson is concerned.

Mrazek, I'd probably flip, BUT do you want to enter the off-season desperately needing a goalie as a rebuilding team when you already know several other teams who will be highly competitive will also be looking for goalies shuffling this summer? It's a gamble that you won't be left without a dance partner.

As mentioned by others Chicago is bad and should do what they can EVERYDAY to surround "Be-Jesus" w/ quality...

However, they still have to get to THE FLOOR next season so a guy w/ 15Gs thus far and only 2-yrs on a deal is not hamstinging any GM.

And I agree, Pete M. should be out at TDL or draft (should have gone to UFA) and Chicago can pick the burn-pile for what they need in net then...
24 janv. à 18 h 53
If it goes to trial it won't matter. They will remain non-roster until a verdict and their active contracts will have expired by then.
Any plea other than not-guilty could be a termination of their contracts and/or indefinite suspension.
Teams will unfortunately have to deal with it in the meantime.

Yeah it’s a mess. We have 19 healthy guys on roster and no cap to make a move.

I would hope there will be some plan in place, something pre-negotiated between league and PA. Especially if they are trying to get an international event done…NHL and Hockey Canada will probably want to lift the ban on all the other players in time (right now it’s through conclusion, which it goes to trial, could go well past an early 2025 event). Who knows though?

League is probably focused on All-Star game…with this in the backdrop. I don’t envy their situation.
24 janv. à 19 h 2
Rejoint: janv. 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 487
Ez PR fix:

Tomorrow announce that for the remainder of the season, the salary cap is increased 5%

The trade rumor news will flood the everything.

Money solves all problems.
capsfan2121, Sharkie69 et zk97 a aimé ceci.
24 janv. à 19 h 29
Go Habs Go
Yeah it’s a mess. We have 19 healthy guys on roster and no cap to make a move.

I would hope there will be some plan in place, something pre-negotiated between league and PA. Especially if they are trying to get an international event done…NHL and Hockey Canada will probably want to lift the ban on all the other players in time (right now it’s through conclusion, which it goes to trial, could go well past an early 2025 event). Who knows though?

League is probably focused on All-Star game…with this in the backdrop. I don’t envy their situation.

I only glanced, but that's tough.
Holtz + Hughes down gives about $2M (remaining LTIR $200k).
But you're still about $300k away from bringing up a 3rd player.
I don't know if you can send down Daws and intentionally leave yourself short a goaltender in order to enact goalie emergency measures, but might be something to look into if you're interested. I don't recall any precedent for it, but goaltender rules tend to be more flexible with additional special measures.

With NJ not playing tonight they might be forced into a move since it's not technically an emergency situation though.
Does anyone on IR perhaps qualify for LTIR?
Maybe this forces their hand on a Vanacek/goalie swap.
24 janv. à 19 h 37
I only glanced, but that's tough.
Holtz + Hughes down gives about $2M (remaining LTIR $200k).
But you're still about $300k away from bringing up a 3rd player.
I don't know if you can send down Daws and intentionally leave yourself short a goaltender in order to enact goalie emergency measures, but might be something to look into if you're interested. I don't recall any precedent for it, but goaltender rules tend to be more flexible with additional special measures.

With NJ not playing tonight they might be forced into a move since it's not technically an emergency situation though.
Does anyone on IR perhaps qualify for LTIR?
Maybe this forces their hand on a Vanacek/goalie swap.

Yeah, they will have to move someone to LTIR. Hamilton, Siegenthaler, Palat, and Hughes all would qualify. Maybe Smith too. But because of the large amount of ELC earning performance bonuses, we were trying to avoid a big carryover (seems unavoidable now).
ricochetii a aimé ceci.

To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage