Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Leafs 2023 2024 Season Discussion Part 3 - Winter Blues

14 janv. à 22 h 50
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 20,974
I give Keefe till the end of January

MLSE u need make a choice

As they got the Oilers who have won 10 in a row, Calgary on the second half of a b2b, Vancouver, Seattle who have won 9 in a row, and Winnipeg twice

6 games vs strong opponents

This be Keefe's last shot
14 janv. à 22 h 51
average joe
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 92
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
It's objectively hilarious that Nylander goes pointless in 3 straight almost immediately after signing his extension

It's almost like the Leafs had a choice last offseason - before Matthews, Marner, and Nylander NTC kicks in (for Nylander it was MNTC).
If you re-sign the big 3, you guarantee they will be the 3 highest Leaf point getters in history.
But you also guarantee no Cup this decade.
14 janv. à 22 h 57
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 14 janv. à 23 h 5
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
No I mean he posted an .870 tonight. 20/23. I get he wasn't as egregiously bad as he usually is, but I still have zero confidence in him whatsoever. The stretch of play has exposed the worst with this team, and it should be an easy enough fix, but Keefe is too stuck in his ways to try and change things. I'll feel alright about this team when Woll is back

I dont even know if Woll will solve this issue with the way this team chooses to play

Cause yea Sammy ended with a 0.870 but with how this team played I cant blame him. He made good saves, robbed Compther and the team plays awful hockey in front turnover goal lul.

This team in every meeting with Reimer ran him out of the net. Reimer before tonight was dog**** but they decided to make him look like a Vezina candidate.

Its like everything they learned in Cali in terms of good defensive play and supporting the goalie out the window. Benoit at least got the memo lul

Also had 3 PP's so cant say refs were at fault.

But yea since getting paid Nylander meh, JT is a ghost these last 5, and Marner and Matthews have been hot and cold.

Will say though Domi at 2c with Bertuzzi and Marner not bad.

Fix the D, support the goalies, get the big 4 motivated to start going again, and watch and see how Woll does. As if Sammy plays like he did tonight but gets help like on the Cali trip we got something cooking

As for Keefe yea fire that man into the sun he done. I do not care about his record seasons. Were talking about now and that man's shown especially this year without Dubas he was the issue when it came to discipline and coaching the big 4
14 janv. à 23 h 2
Hakuna Matata
Leafs should do to Keefe what FLA did with Gallant

Would make for a great picture
14 janv. à 23 h 6
Rejoint: janv. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 5,274
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
Yes, he is a major part of it. Obviously it doesn't fall solely on his shoulders, but there have been way too many times throughout his tenure where the Leafs are completely disorganized. It's why we blow so many leads, why he take so many bench minors, why we crumble under pressure. The Wings were dogged tonight and it's the reason they won. His disorganized team structure and the goaltending being s*** will be this seasons downfall.

It's like the Canucks with Boudreau. Tocchet came in, flipped the script, and now the Canucks (who have't really adjusted their roster very much) are one of the best teams in the league.

Give me Dean Evason

Cannot disagree more with that. Keefe completely flipped the Leafs into a top 10 defensive team over the past couple seasons. They have played with great structure under him. No coach is perfect but he's far from the problem, as he's proven with his regular season track record. The fact of the matter is that this team, as it's assembled, just isn't that good.

The 4th line is a mess of crap. There's no adequate matchup line or shut down pair. The defensive acumen from both the blueline and forward group has taken a huge hit and the depth scoring didn't improve all that much.

You make that argument about going from Boudreau to Tocchet as if Keefe didn't do the exact same thing with the Leafs. They have the 4th best record in the league since he was hired.
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
14 janv. à 23 h 8
Hakuna Matata
Cannot disagree more with that. Keefe completely flipped the Leafs into a top 10 defensive team over the past couple seasons. They have played with great structure under him. No coach is perfect but he's far from the problem, as he's proven with his regular season track record. The fact of the matter is that this team, as it's assembled, just isn't that good.

The 4th line is a mess of crap. There's no adequate matchup line or shut down pair. The defensive acumen from both the blueline and forward group has taken a huge hit and the depth scoring didn't improve all that much.

You make that argument about going from Boudreau to Tocchet as if Keefe didn't do the exact same thing with the Leafs. They have the 4th best record in the league since he was hired.

Regular season does not matter its all about the playoffs and Keefe aint the coach for that.

Cant be defending Keefe when these last 3 games we saw the opposing team adjust on him and he got outcoached 3 times

Dont look at past seasons look at this season

Keefe is cooked, team seems done with him

Like VGK and Gallant explore a firing into the sun

As Gallant took VGK to the SCF, and R3 the following season, and got fired his third year in January even though he was still at a .551 win %

Or heck EDM fired their coach and are on a 10 game win streak
14 janv. à 23 h 11
Quoting: aadoyle
Regular season does not matter its all about the playoffs and Keefe aint the coach for that.

Cant be defending Keefe when these last 3 games we saw the opposing team adjust on him and he got outcoached 3 times

Keefe is cooked

As Gallant took VGK to the SCF, and R3 the following season, and got fired his third year in January

We are literally talking about the f*cking regular season.
Juice a aimé ceci.
14 janv. à 23 h 16
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 14 janv. à 23 h 28
We are literally talking about the f*cking regular season.

And so far Keefe has been outcoached in these past 3 games among others

This man's done, no more Reaves and Klingberg heck even tonight Sammy to scapegoat

As in the last 3 games with a 2-0 lead and a 3-0 lead

0 adjustment, no pushback for when the opposing team adjust how much more losing gonna have to happen before we send him to the moon 3 more like Babcock to make it 6 that can be arranged with the next 3 opponents

Vegas fired Gallant in January even after he took them to the SCF their first year and still had a winning record in January .551 win %

We have seen enough of this guy he wont get it done. He has no desire to push the big 4, no desire to make proper adjustments, and sounds like Babcock to reporters rn "a broken record". Had some great reg seasons in the past but thats gone now were looking at this current season

Get him out and bring someone who will whip some sense into these guys especially the big 4.

Hes got 6 games left to prove himself before I see MLSE and or Shanahan respond
14 janv. à 23 h 28
Rejoint: avr. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 1,512

Keefe is cooked, team seems done with him

As Gallant took VGK to the SCF, and R3 the following season, and got fired his third year in January even though he was still at a .551 win %

Or heck EDM fired their coach and are on a 10 game win streak

If the regular season doesn't matter then let's see what other toys he gets at the TDL and how the playoffs go. Can't argue both sides.

Many of us looked at this team before the start of the year and figured it would not be as good in the regular season but the different makeup could yield some more playoff success.

I'm not saying that I'm seeing anything to hang my hat on as far as playoffs go...but either decide if the regular season matters (if so Keefe as an incredible record)...or it doesn't matter (in which case don't live and die with every goal against in every game of the regular season) and assess in the offseason.

At this point...if you fire Keefe...you might as well just let Boucher take over to the rest of the season and ride it out
14 janv. à 23 h 32
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Juice
If the regular season doesn't matter then let's see what other toys he gets at the TDL and how the playoffs go. Can't argue both sides.

Many of us looked at this team before the start of the year and figured it would not be as good in the regular season but the different makeup could yield some more playoff success.

I'm not saying that I'm seeing anything to hang my hat on as far as playoffs go...but either decide if the regular season matters (if so Keefe as an incredible record)...or it doesn't matter (in which case don't live and die with every goal against in every game of the regular season) and assess in the offseason.

At this point...if you fire Keefe...you might as well just let Boucher take over to the rest of the season and ride it out

When VGK fired Gallant they hired Deboer in January

I say Keefe gets these next 6 games to avoid or seal his fate

As there be options rn available all of which still owed money by their orgs

Go get Berube is my advice worry about the details later. Guy won the Blues a cup for the first time since 1967 after they had one of the biggest comeback stories ever

Now Shanny may go with Boucher but I think they gonna want a cup winner and rn there are only two guys available of which one is probs never gonna be allowed back into the NHL. Would I love to have him yes but its never gonna happen.
14 janv. à 23 h 32
Go leafs go
Rejoint: avr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 9,194

Honestly I don’t care what happens to Keefe. He’s not great, he’s not horrible. He’s about as average of a coach as you could get. He’s also, like you said, not even close to the biggest problem with this team. Not sure why we’re suddenly focusing on him.
LeafsFanForSomeReason a aimé ceci.
14 janv. à 23 h 36
Quoting: Saskleaf
Honestly I don’t care what happens to Keefe. He’s not great, he’s not horrible. He’s about as average of a coach as you could get. He’s also, like you said, not even close to the biggest problem with this team. Not sure why we’re suddenly focusing on him.

A mixture of fatigue (which will happen with any coach) and people being unable cope with the fact that the team got worse.
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
14 janv. à 23 h 37
Hakuna Matata

Hes up there as one of the big problems. Not the biggest but hes at least #2 of their big 3 issues

1. Defense
2. Coaching
3. Goaltending

As his 0 adjustment moto has costed the team games.

When he gets backed into a corner so his solution = stack Nylander with Matthews and Marner and pray

Or he tried to galaxy brain things and it gets ugly fast

Like his quote after tonight says enough about him. Both teams are tired "your at home and the other team was delayed on their plane" gods be gifting you a win and heck Reimer was in net for DET

The man we have chased out every matchup since he was traded was made to look like a Vezina candidate

As in the end even if we were to go out and get Swayman or Hanifin I dont see things changing as Keefe's cooked.
14 janv. à 23 h 40
Go leafs go
Hes up there as one of the big problems. Not the biggest but hes at least #2 of their big 3 issues

1. Defense
2. Coaching
3. Goaltending

When he gets backed into a corner so his solution = stack Nylander with Matthews and Marner and pray

Like his quote after tonight says enough about him. Both teams are tired "your at home and the other team was delayed on their plane" gods be gifting you a win and heck Reimer was in net for DET

The man we have chased out every matchup since he was traded was made to look like a Vezina candidate

I’d put Goaltending over him on this list.
14 janv. à 23 h 41
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 15 janv. à 1 h 3
I’d put Goaltending over him on this list.

The one thing I counter is Jones had good games till those past two but can you put it on him when the team decided to take their foot off the gas after 20mins of strong play or heck tonight cant really blame Sammy guy robbed someone and they still managed to find a way to lose and this against a team who was delayed on their plane

Keefe and in-game adjustment are words that dont mix. In 2/3 games he had a strong first then got adjusted on and never recovered. Tonight he got nothing didnt see a single period where I was like hey we look better. Like man Robertson-JT-Jarnkrok was dog water and yet no adjustment kept throwing them out there like pls work lul

Holmberg great to see he got promoted but Matthews and Willy kind of quiet lul.

But yea for me, get him out of here, add a piece or two to this Dcore, and wait for Woll and see what happens, thats where I stand rn

And rn Berube is trending
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
15 janv. à 1 h 19
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 15 janv. à 3 h 33
Sad thing about TOR this year

10-9-2 AT HOME

And you may be thinking oh so better on the road 11-3-6 OT merchants

Yes its better but not by much lul

Im not gonna say giving Willy that deal was a mistake but its looking a lot like we should have waited. Now yes hes not the main cause but at the same time when u got 4 guys now in double digits they gonna be the focus

Gimme Berube as after listening to that interview he did he is perfect to or this trio
15 janv. à 8 h 39
Go leafs go
The one thing I counter is Jones had good games till those past two but can you put it on him when the team decided to take their foot off the gas after 20mins of strong play or heck tonight cant really blame Sammy guy robbed someone and they still managed to find a way to lose and this against a team who was delayed on their plane

Keefe and in-game adjustment are words that dont mix. In 2/3 games he had a strong first then got adjusted on and never recovered. Tonight he got nothing didnt see a single period where I was like hey we look better. Like man Robertson-JT-Jarnkrok was dog water and yet no adjustment kept throwing them out there like pls work lul

Holmberg great to see he got promoted but Matthews and Willy kind of quiet lul.

But yea for me, get him out of here, add a piece or two to this Dcore, and wait for Woll and see what happens, thats where I stand rn

And rn Berube is trending

Fair enough but it’s hard for me to put too much faith in Jones
15 janv. à 8 h 42
McMann Season
Rejoint: mars 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 948
Honestly Sammy had a solid game, if he can stop letting so much get to him mentally I think he could stay in Toronto, but that’s a lot easier said than done
15 janv. à 9 h 19
Ovchinnikov 137
Rejoint: avr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,982
I’m curious, any other fans starting to come to the realization this team should just stand pat this year.
15 janv. à 9 h 23
Amirov Forever
Rejoint: mars 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 6,046
Quoting: MatthewsFan
I’m curious, any other fans starting to come to the realization this team should just stand pat this year.

🙋‍♀️

I wasn't expecting the Leafs to go out and add a ton at the TDL regardless, but if for no reason other than the fact that it will cost a fortune to address the Leafs areas of need, I fully agree on the Leafs standing pat.

So many teams need a goalie, while few have Goalies to expend. So many teams need defensemen, and yet so few have defensemen to spare. There are no clear sellers to this point, and the TDL this season is going to be extremely competitive. It's just not worth the cost. Address the gaps in free agency with all the money we have and call it a day
MatthewsFan a aimé ceci.
15 janv. à 10 h 4
Rejoint: avr. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 1,512

1. Defense
2. Coaching
3. Goaltending

As in the end even if we were to go out and get Swayman or Hanifin I dont see things changing as Keefe's cooked.

There's a common adage in hockey....show me a good goalie and I'll show you a good coach.

Berube joined the Blues and Binnington goes on a massive hot streak. Binnington stops being a stud and the Blues/Berube look average at best

DeBoer and Vegas is a very different situation...I think, anyway. DeBoer was a specific guy Vegas wanted...he had beat up on Vegas as coach of the Sharks and, when he became available, they moved quickly to fire Gallant and bring him in.

I don't know if the leafs view any of the available candidates as "their guy"....but I'd much rather they figure out who that guy is and then act swiftly vs just firing Keefe because we're on a little losing streak and hire from an unimpressive group just for the sake of change.

Think about it...if they hire someone new now....he's going to get the rest of this year....all of next year for sure....and almost certainly the year after that. That's a min of 2.5yrs of this core's prime. So while I'm for a coaching change if it's specific...meaning they are certain they are hiring the guy they want....I'm completely against a coaching change if it's really just an experiment of hope that the next guy can do better.
15 janv. à 10 h 14
Leafs going to Leafs
Rejoint: déc. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 2,949
Quoting: MatthewsFan

They need to build and get guys with term...

Every TDL acquisition doesn't have to be a 35 year old rental
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
15 janv. à 10 h 21
Leafs going to Leafs
Modifié 15 janv. à 10 h 28
When do we start having second thoughts about Nylander?

And when do we start having concerns about Marner?

And when do we start actually running a PP and 5v5 through our best weapon, Auston Matthews?

And why is Matthew Knies in the dog house?
15 janv. à 10 h 28
Leafs going to Leafs
To add on ^

What was the point of calling Nylander out? Only to give him 1rst line minutes with Matthews?

A lot of mixed messages
15 janv. à 10 h 33
Ovchinnikov 137
Rejoint: avr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,982
Quoting: Juice
There's a common adage in hockey....show me a good goalie and I'll show you a good coach.

Berube joined the Blues and Binnington goes on a massive hot streak. Binnington stops being a stud and the Blues/Berube look average at best

DeBoer and Vegas is a very different situation...I think, anyway. DeBoer was a specific guy Vegas wanted...he had beat up on Vegas as coach of the Sharks and, when he became available, they moved quickly to fire Gallant and bring him in.

I don't know if the leafs view any of the available candidates as "their guy"....but I'd much rather they figure out who that guy is and then act swiftly vs just firing Keefe because we're on a little losing streak and hire from an unimpressive group just for the sake of change.

Think about it...if they hire someone new now....he's going to get the rest of this year....all of next year for sure....and almost certainly the year after that. That's a min of 2.5yrs of this core's prime. So while I'm for a coaching change if it's specific...meaning they are certain they are hiring the guy they want....I'm completely against a coaching change if it's really just an experiment of hope that the next guy can do better.

As someone who is not a Keefe guy I actually agree with not firing him in season.

This is a poorly constructed roster with some major holes to fix that can’t be accomplished till the offseason.

I would also let this season play out with Keefe and this roster and see how that plays out.

I see no other team that is searching for a HC “right now” so guys who are available today will be available in the offseason
Juice et Saskleaf a aimé ceci.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage