Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Leafs 2023 2024 Season Discussion Part 3 - Winter Blues

14 janv. à 0 h 36
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 21,100
Modifié 14 janv. à 0 h 42
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
Am I the only one who doesn't like the idea of Berube? I'm sick of looking at track record when it comes to coaches. Berube isn't the guy we need, I personally think Evason would be the better guy to go after if thats the kind of coach we want.

Keefe isn't leaving for better or worse. He's a safe option for a GM just starting off in his new job.

Evason is worse than Keefe as a playoff HC

8-15 record NTU

.348 win % to be more specific

And this aint for the GM but Shanny. Shanny got a contract due soon and u think MLSE gonna give him an extension if they see regression nope. He may tell Brad to yeet Keefe to the moon if this month gets ugly
14 janv. à 0 h 37
Amirov Forever
Rejoint: mars 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 6,097
Quoting: aadoyle
Evason sucks in playoffs

Yeah the Wild choking was definitely Evasons fault and not the fact that they have 14 mil in dead cap room
14 janv. à 0 h 39
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 14 janv. à 1 h 32
Yeah the Wild choking was definitely Evasons fault and not the fact that they have 14 mil in dead cap room

Look what he did their last series Gustavsson out for Fleury for no reason game 2. Gustavsson had one of the best games we saw out of a goalie .962 won that game and thats what Everson decided to do. Imagine they kept Gus in lul might have had a 3-0 lead that series or got the wild their first playoff series win

Its basically Boudreau level of no thank you for playoffs

Gimmie a guy whose won it all and who fits what this teams been begging for
14 janv. à 1 h 39
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 14 janv. à 3 h 31
But yea in the end I see a lot of this teams issues being down to Keefe

Rather than promote Holmberg, Domi, or Jarnkrok who all were having a solid game vs the Avs what does Keefe do....

Put Nylander who was having an off night with two other guys having an off night and just load up a line and pray

Like what did any of the big 4 do to deserve all that ice nothing. Matthews and Marner had one good shift where im like dam so close.

But hey thats Keefe's speciality. We saw that his first year as HC in the CBJ series game 5. Remember JT-Matthews-Marner

Heck lets look before the game. Why is Robertson a healthy scratch for Gregor? Other than one pass what has that guy done to earn his 4th line spot. Robertson had 3 goals last 5 games. Why the ****s he out. Just put Holmberg with Kampf and McMann lul

For the betterment of this team need to explore a move like VGK did with their HC. Fire Keefe and either go with Boucher or hire Berube who Blues still paying till 2024-2025 btw

Heck look at EDM fired their HC in a desperation move to see if that could solve something, woke the **** up and despite him not being over the top they now on a 10 game win streak

And now we got DET on Sunday with the way we have seen this team play these past two and with Sammy probs going in, things gonna get ugly fast. As u got a goalie whose mentally broken rn with a team whose blown 2 multi goal leads in front of him

God help him is all I can say heck if Hildeby plays apply the same prayers

But yea 3 moves I would start with

1. Sit the 40 year old Gio should have been a HS tonight anyways lul guess the standards were a myth

2. Swap Domi and JT

3. Put McCabe and Liligren together on the 2nd pair enough
14 janv. à 3 h 56
Rejoint: mars 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 2,648
So when u think Keefe's gone

VGK fired Gallant in January with a 24-19-6 record. Keefe's rn 21-11-8

As yes its only been 2 games but two multi goal leads blown where your team dominated the first period

0 adjustment as what is he not expecting the teams not to push back?

And not rewarding the bottom 6 who actually looked good these past two

Holmberg was having the best 2 games of his life and u dont put him in the top 6 to maybe create a spark and instead in a classic Keefe move shove Nylander with Matthews and Marner who also didnt look good tonight

Gimmie Berube

So...I remember you wanting Keefe back as the coach and my argument to firing him a few years ago is the same ones you've listed now. I don't know whether to be happy about that or sad.

Quoting: MatthewsFan
And I’m sorry but to each their own, but how anyone wants to extend Tavares for another 5-6 seasons is absolutely nuts.

Yep...I feel people are being a bit too sentimental about JT. When people consider that this core has been around for 6-7 years, it's basically coming to a point where there's no time to be sentimental about a player or two.

JT joining the Leafs was nice 6 years ago. People need to think about more than just the goals he scores or face-offs he wins because he isn't good at much else these days.
14 janv. à 9 h 28
Rip
Rejoint: déc. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 3,153
In general if we look at the goals you cant really blame the Dcore but more so the entire team or certain superstars

goals 1 was the entire team stopped playing after Kampf was gonna be called for a high stick. Avs even handed them the puck and they went we dont want it lul ok I score

goal 2 was just Matthews handing it to Girard like he had room to clear just makes an awful pass

goal 3 will give yah defensive coverage was **** and after a solid PK no less.

goal 4 is conflicting as there is an image of Drouin picking our Dman like Holl did back in the playoffs once that lead to a penalty

https://twitter.com/JeffVeillette/status/1746364347197051384

5 is ENG wont dive deep

Even if we added the best Dman if that stuff happens its going in the back of the net.

It was basically a perfect mirror of what happened the NYI game

The coach rn I feel is the issue these past two games along with star engagement

Why is is were playing great first periods then getting absolutely shat on the final 40? Like this was almost predictable

The thing we see the other team adjusts their play and comes at us but Keefe does not respond. Even with the best Dcore out there result might not change.

And yes I know what Manson did but it was 3-3 before that

A RD and moving Benoit to the third pair to give Gio rest would be a nice start but this team needs a wakeup and I think Keefe may have to go

Keefe sucks. No question. I shouldn't say he sucks he just is incapable of making adjustments. And that is death in the NHL. The defence isn't good enough. McCabe has been better for sure but still we just don't have a true shutdown guy. Brodie's on the decline. Rielly is doing all he can and Liljegren has really come along but the rest just aren't good enough.
14 janv. à 9 h 29
Rip
Quoting: oneX
So...I remember you wanting Keefe back as the coach and my argument to firing him a few years ago is the same ones you've listed now. I don't know whether to be happy about that or sad.

Yep...I feel people are being a bit too sentimental about JT. When people consider that this core has been around for 6-7 years, it's basically coming to a point where there's no time to be sentimental about a player or two.

JT joining the Leafs was nice 6 years ago. People need to think about more than just the goals he scores or face-offs he wins because he isn't good at much else these days.

Keefe should have been fired after last season.
oneX a aimé ceci.
14 janv. à 11 h 3
Quoting: RipNasty
Keefe should have been fired after last season.

Nope...should have been fired after the Montreal series. Basically rookie coach vs rookie coach and as we all saw, Keefe got out coached because he couldn't figure out in game adjustments.

Why was Babcock fired? Well among the other reasons was that he was failing to make in game adjustments.

I can't believe we are still dealing with this particular issue these days.
RipNasty a aimé ceci.
14 janv. à 11 h 9
Rejoint: avr. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 1,512
And I’m sorry but to each their own, but how anyone wants to extend Tavares for another 5-6 seasons is absolutely nuts.

who wants to give him 5-6 more years after next year? Good god. Either year-to-year or...multi-year up to 3yrs if he's doing league min which I doubt.

We need to find the next 2C, sure...but 5-6yr extension for JT would be awful
14 janv. à 11 h 35
Nope...should have been fired after the Montreal series. Basically rookie coach vs rookie coach and as we all saw, Keefe got out coached because he couldn't figure out in game adjustments.

Why was Babcock fired? Well among the other reasons was that he was failing to make in game adjustments.

That's a wee bit excessive for me....hard to fire a rookie coach after doing well in a bubble season....but you want to see growth and learning from mistakes.

I'm quite confident we would be angry regardless of who's coaching after this type of loss...or one where we fall behind and don't catch up.

Our big guys up front are just as likely to put in 3 goals in 6minutes as they are to cough up the same amount.

If a coach makes adjustments and we still cough up a lead or fail to come back from behind...we'd be on here posting TOI figures for our best players and questioning why we're paying these guys if we're not going to use them when it matters most.

If he rides the big guys and they fail, we're on here wondering why he doesn't make adjustments.

That's the nature of our discontent as fans and....as far as I'm concerned...we're completely entitled to it.

For me, it's the inconsistencies in effort. You can have good games and bad games....bad bounces....awful calls by the ref....but my main issue is that you look at a leader like Mackinnon last night and he goes 100 every game all season it seems.

I've seen games out of Matthews like that. I've seen Nylander take over games. Marner can be a dog on a bone sometimes on the forecheck and directing the offense...I don't think I've seen JT every really have a game where he "dominates"...he's consistently "good" as far as I'm concerned.

But it was probably early last year for me when I really started to sour on Keefe...when he seems to call out the big guys in a post-game presser and then walks it back the next day. I don't know if that's him...or Dubas telling him to walk it back...or the players/agents complaining to management that they don't want their clients' names criticized....I dunno...but Keefe seems ok to be pushed around,

MLSE just hired Pelley to take over as CEO...have to think all the team presidents are somewhat on notice. Shanny may have one more coaching change life in him...I dunno....but I just want a Brind'Amour type...former player that's young enough to relate but strong enough to demand and won't p*ssy foot around

Berube might be that guy but I don't buy it...he kinda had one magical half season in St. Louis. Paul Maurice comes to mind as another but he's not going anywhere. Gallant? Gotta be a reason he doesn't last long anywhere but he seems to get results in a short time-frame. Reunite with D.J. Smith? Don't think that would make the fanbase happy but I could see it happen.

Doug Gilmour...no for me
Patrick Roy...disaster waiting to happen

Gruden? I don't know enough about the guy

Just get me someone that won't be afraid to put our stars in their place every now and then when their effort wanes.
oneX a aimé ceci.
14 janv. à 11 h 49
Quoting: Juice
That's a wee bit excessive for me....hard to fire a rookie coach after doing well in a bubble season....but you want to see growth and learning from mistakes.

I'm quite confident we would be angry regardless of who's coaching after this type of loss...or one where we fall behind and don't catch up.

Our big guys up front are just as likely to put in 3 goals in 6minutes as they are to cough up the same amount.

If a coach makes adjustments and we still cough up a lead or fail to come back from behind...we'd be on here posting TOI figures for our best players and questioning why we're paying these guys if we're not going to use them when it matters most.

If he rides the big guys and they fail, we're on here wondering why he doesn't make adjustments.

That's the nature of our discontent as fans and....as far as I'm concerned...we're completely entitled to it.

For me, it's the inconsistencies in effort. You can have good games and bad games....bad bounces....awful calls by the ref....but my main issue is that you look at a leader like Mackinnon last night and he goes 100 every game all season it seems.

I've seen games out of Matthews like that. I've seen Nylander take over games. Marner can be a dog on a bone sometimes on the forecheck and directing the offense...I don't think I've seen JT every really have a game where he "dominates"...he's consistently "good" as far as I'm concerned.

But it was probably early last year for me when I really started to sour on Keefe...when he seems to call out the big guys in a post-game presser and then walks it back the next day. I don't know if that's him...or Dubas telling him to walk it back...or the players/agents complaining to management that they don't want their clients' names criticized....I dunno...but Keefe seems ok to be pushed around,

MLSE just hired Pelley to take over as CEO...have to think all the team presidents are somewhat on notice. Shanny may have one more coaching change life in him...I dunno....but I just want a Brind'Amour type...former player that's young enough to relate but strong enough to demand and won't p*ssy foot around

Berube might be that guy but I don't buy it...he kinda had one magical half season in St. Louis. Paul Maurice comes to mind as another but he's not going anywhere. Gallant? Gotta be a reason he doesn't last long anywhere but he seems to get results in a short time-frame. Reunite with D.J. Smith? Don't think that would make the fanbase happy but I could see it happen.

Doug Gilmour...no for me
Patrick Roy...disaster waiting to happen

Gruden? I don't know enough about the guy

Just get me someone that won't be afraid to put our stars in their place every now and then when their effort wanes.

Well...think of it this way...what was the complaints with Babcock and Keefe over the years? Those complaints are still the same.

The other issue I don't like at all is Keefe being critical of any of the core guys and immediately walking back those comments the next day.

Healthy scratching Kampf....because why? How about benching a core guy when he doesn't play well?

I mean these are just a few reasons why Keefe should have been fired well before this season but there's too many more reasons.

The sad thing about firing him now is that the coaching replacements available at the moment is way less impressive than let's say someone like when Bruce Cassidy was available.
14 janv. à 12 h 10
Well...think of it this way...what was the complaints with Babcock and Keefe over the years? Those complaints are still the same.

The other issue I don't like at all is Keefe being critical of any of the core guys and immediately walking back those comments the next day.

Healthy scratching Kampf....because why? How about benching a core guy when he doesn't play well?

I mean these are just a few reasons why Keefe should have been fired well before this season but there's too many more reasons.

The sad thing about firing him now is that the coaching replacements available at the moment is way less impressive than let's say someone like when Bruce Cassidy was available.

agreed on all fronts.
14 janv. à 12 h 41
Rip

I know what you mean. Bab's was really bad because he was so in love with his own legend and stopped changing. Keefe is a bit different he hasn't figured out that a 7 game series is very different from the regular season. The opposition adjusts to what you are doing and you need to make the same changes but he coaches in the playoffs the same way he does in the regular season. Just follow the process and keep within the structure. In the regular season everyone does that, because that's what the regular season is for, getting the system down to a routine. But in the playoffs you need to be able make changes that nullify what the opposition is doing and he just doesn't do that. Just keeps saying, we need to stick to the plan. Yeah bud, the other coach knows your plan and is doing everything they can to wreck your plan. Change the ****ing plan!
14 janv. à 13 h 1
Hakuna Matata

The reason I said Keefe should be back was nobody better was available besides a man who people dont want back in the NHL

As we had Boudreau, Hynes, lateral moves to Keefe, and Quinville

2 new guys are now available so things change

Craig Berube for instance is an upgrade so if they fire him and hire Berube thats fine were upgrading

As lets be real if Berube or Woodcraft would not be available I would say to ride the season and figure it out this summer
14 janv. à 13 h 34
Hakuna Matata
Pray for Sammy and Pray the team plays more than 20mins of hockey

Thats all im gonna say

Keefe should have them just watch the LAK game log as that was there best game lul

Play that for a full 60
14 janv. à 14 h 18
Amirov Forever
Leafs game delayed to 7:30 ET tonight!
14 janv. à 14 h 20
Leafs going to Leafs
Mentions "j'aime": 3,055
Quoting: Messier99
I was going to say before the Sharks Game - "watch Nylander get no points after signing the big contract".
I kind of figured the Sharks was target practice, so I kept quiet.
Now. Nylander. 2 games. 0 points. -1.

Also, Matthews 2 games. 2 goals/ 2 points. -2.
Tavares 2 games. 0 points. -3
Marner 2 games. 1 assist. +/-0.

Gonna give Keefe adjustment lessons

Bertuzzi-Matthews-Nylander
Knies-Domi-Marner
Robertson-JT-Jarnkrok
Holmberg-Kampf-McMann

Rielly-Brodie
McCabe-Liligren
Lagesson-Benoit

I'll make an even better adjustment:
Knies-Matthews-Bert
Robertson-JT-Marner
Jarnkrok-Domi-Nylander
Holmberg-Kampf-McMann
Gregor

Rielly-Lilly
McCabe-Benoit (or flipped)
Lagesson-Brodie
Gio (scratched for this game; comes in for the road trip)

https://twitter.com/lukefoxjukebox/status/1746377003102576731

So what about our team, this a cry for help or did Keefe indirectly just roast our team

As do we not have Matthews, Marner, JT, and Willy in double digits? And sure maybe he means a Dman but yea not a great look lul

He 100% did... He basically called out AM, WN and MM for wanting that kind of money and not showing it... Gotta think AM34 responds but don't know about the other 2 as it seems like a slump for WN and MM just isn't good this season
Man, looking at the schedule and the teams TOR has to play, this could get ugly real fast.

Like wild card ugly

Detroit (Should beat, being honest; especially bc Sammy has something to prove and so do the 3 guys Keefe benched along with AM and WN)
EDM (Disaster defensively, should beat)
CGY (Another team we should beat)
VAN (Depends if the leafs want to show up)
SEA (Should beat)

This is the road trip to make a statement on; it's in the Leafs' court, they are far better than these team; question is whether they'll show up or disappear
14 janv. à 15 h 34
Hakuna Matata
https://twitter.com/mirtle/status/1746336536772157583

Sheldon Keefe: So what your telling me is to stack Nylander with Matthews and Marner lul
14 janv. à 15 h 49
Démarrer sujet
Just Keep Swimming
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 5,673
We absolutely need to offersheet Swayman
NorthernLeafsFan05 a aimé ceci.
14 janv. à 15 h 51
Amirov Forever
Quoting: Random2152

Never forget
14 janv. à 15 h 53
Démarrer sujet
Just Keep Swimming

We need to get our 1st back to fix past mistakes...
14 janv. à 15 h 55
Hakuna Matata

Goalies are voodo

Would rather not. What is the guarantee he comes here and does what he did in Boston with a weaker defensive team in front
14 janv. à 15 h 56
Démarrer sujet
Just Keep Swimming
Goalies are voodo

Would rather not

Some are worth it. I think swayman fits that mould
14 janv. à 15 h 57
Hakuna Matata
Some are worth it. I think swayman fits that mould

Issue is the guarantee he comes here and does what he did in Boston with a weaker defensive team in front

Idk I think the risks be to high. While I would like him its just a position thats so random would rather focus on other areas of need rn like fixing this Dcore
14 janv. à 15 h 58
Démarrer sujet
Just Keep Swimming
Issue is the guarantee he comes here and does what he did in Boston with a weaker defensive team in front

Idk I think the risks be to high. While I would like him its just a position thats so random would rather focus on other areas of need rn like fixing this Dcore

I think that's a bad philosophy. Young proven winner who isn't happy with his team. Him and Woll would be insane. 6.4 is what we could do if we got our 1st back

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage