SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Detroit Red Wings signed Patrick Kane (1 Year / $2,750,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
Le graphique a été masqué

Options de sondage

28 nov. 2023 à 12 h 30
Rejoint: août 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 13
Quoting: Leafsfan98
Kane's hips becomes a major issue and affects ADB and Larkin's play (the 2 line mates Kane is probably going to play with...) and Detroit falls out of the playoffs

So basically the negative in this is that a team that would otherwise just barely go to playoffs, losing in the 1st round--> dropping off playoffs with better draft pick andd possible assets from Kane deal at the deadline?
28 nov. 2023 à 12 h 40
You know nothing JS
Rejoint: janv. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 4,431
Yzerman is collecting old veterans and UFAs because his rebuild didn't work.

If this plan B works (playoffs without being swept) people will call him a genius. If DET still doesnt make the postseason, he should be fired.

*you are telling me there's a chance meme*
28 nov. 2023 à 12 h 47
JT Miller for Hart
Rejoint: févr. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 715
Great signing. I personally pegged him going to a team like Florida, Nashville or Dallas. Bit of a surprise, but maybe he’ll elevate DeBrincat even more. A top line of the Cat, Larkin and Kane is pretty scary IMO.
OldNYIfan, Prime_Jimbo et RawDeal a aimé ceci.
28 nov. 2023 à 12 h 57
Once a Kings Fan Too
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 25,264
Quoting: drambui
if he is so bad that it affect their playoff hope they dont have to play him

Yeah, it's not like he's Josh Anderson . . .
RawDeal a aimé ceci.
28 nov. 2023 à 13 h 4
Hawks Fan
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 1,673
Modifié 28 nov. 2023 à 15 h 41
Guy puts up 57 points in 73 games on a historically ****ty team for 54 of those games on a bad hip. Gets hip fixed and now people are calling him garbage. I don't get it. His mind and his hands are the same and if his hip is pain free, then there is only upside here. Imagine having a player put up a 64 point pace per 82 games and calling him trash. lol. Love this site. Keep the hits coming people.
28 nov. 2023 à 13 h 7
Rejoint: juin 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 952
Quoting: TentacleHand
Absolutely brilliant signing. Basically no risk, medium to high reward. If he plays well it'll be a steal for that cap hit. If he plays poorly they can keep him healthy scratch if need be. Most likely, given how they've built the lines recently, the lines will look something like:

Veleno/Fabbri - Larkin - Raymond
Kane - Compher - DeBrincat
Fabbri/Veleno - Copp - Perron
Fischer - Rasmussen - Sprong

Compher is better suited to play a more defensive role than Larkin (I could see an argument made for Copp centering the line well for this reason) but he has also proven to be able to produce quite well when given opportunities thus far. If they do this, any negative fallout would not harm the 1st line that has been working great thus far. Besides, as stated above, you can bench players if they do not perform. You didn't need to move players or picks to make this happen, the deal cannot linger for longer than the season so I think this is an absolute win for Red Wings. Sure, Yzerman can look a bit silly if Kane cannot perform but other than that? Not many real downsides.

Quoting: DangleCat
If he torpedo's that entire line don't play him there.....seems easy enough. They could literally healthy scratch him for the rest of season if he plays THAT bad.

Quoting: JayTea
Basically, they'll know in a couple games if he's going to work out on that line. Absolute worst case scenario is his hip isn't good enough and he goes on LTIR getting paid for nothing. The only risk here is how many unfortunate people will have to buy a Little Caesers Hot-n-ready pizza to give the Ilitch family $2.75m to pay Kane to not play if he's that bad. Those are the real victims here.

For Detroit there is very little downside risk and they needed more ammunition if they are going to contend for the playoffs in their division.

They've already stated that the lines will be:
Veleno-Larkin-Raymond
Debrincat-Compher-Kane
Perron-Copp-Fabbri

odd man out of the top 6 is Rasmussen unless he can gel better with the top line over Veleno.

If the 4th line stays together:
Kostin-Fischer-Sprong

Then it is a big drop for him (or Veleno).
28 nov. 2023 à 13 h 9
Leafs going to Leafs
Rejoint: déc. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 2,949
If he torpedo's that entire line don't play him there.....seems easy enough. They could literally healthy scratch him for the rest of season if he plays THAT bad.

But it could also throw ADB and Larkin off their game...
28 nov. 2023 à 13 h 10
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: drizzt
So basically the negative in this is that a team that would otherwise just barely go to playoffs, losing in the 1st round--> dropping off playoffs with better draft pick andd possible assets from Kane deal at the deadline?

It would be Detroit becoming mediocre, like the BJs were
28 nov. 2023 à 13 h 11
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: drambui
if he is so bad that it affect their playoff hope they dont have to play him

I'm saying, Detroit is very hot rn... So why mess things up with a contract you can't bury?
28 nov. 2023 à 13 h 15
Bedard23
Rejoint: mai 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 4,476
Hoping he doesn’t go the same route as Pius Suter
28 nov. 2023 à 13 h 27
VAN
Rejoint: janv. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 1,880
Surprising to see a lot of negative comments or risk comments. They add Kane for relatively cheap without giving up anything vs a trade. If anything, it just shows Detroit is still a big landing spot for players. There is a gap on the RW between Raymond, Perron and Sprong so the depth is great in the forward group. It's not like he has to play top line either and having Perron and Sprong in the bottom is 6 shows great depth.
OldNYIfan et pavelisgoat a aimé ceci.
28 nov. 2023 à 13 h 34
and proud of it
Rejoint: févr. 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 1,605
This signing is a risk no matter who signs him but almost $3M is a bit much imo
28 nov. 2023 à 14 h 6
Rejoint: août 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 121
Quoting: HockeyScotty
For Detroit there is very little downside risk and they needed more ammunition if they are going to contend for the playoffs in their division.

Veleno-Larkin-Raymond
Debrincat-Compher-Kane
Perron-Copp-Fabbri

odd man out of the top 6 is Rasmussen unless he can gel better with the top line over Veleno.

Kostin-Fischer-Sprong

Honestly, fine.

Rasmussen has been next to terrible this entire year. Very rarely have I witnessed a man of his size on the ice and be so timid and easily pushed off the puck. He was on the up before his injury last year so I hope he can find his game again but he has not shown any reason to be in the lineup at this moment. Not to mention Veleno has been more than solid.
28 nov. 2023 à 14 h 7
Mentions "j'aime": 2,507
Quoting: OldNYIfan
Yeah, it's not like he's Josh Anderson . . .

we dont have playoffs hopes frown
28 nov. 2023 à 14 h 10
Mentions "j'aime": 2,507
Quoting: Leafsfan98
I'm saying, Detroit is very hot rn... So why mess things up with a contract you can't bury?

well, hot streak dont always last and injuries happen. its better to plan ahead and get better now than later.
28 nov. 2023 à 14 h 22
Rejoint: nov. 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 2
Quoting: HockeyScotty

Veleno-Larkin-Raymond
Debrincat-Compher-Kane
Perron-Copp-Fabbri

Kostin-Fischer-Sprong

Is there real confirmation on the lines already? I was just speculating, didn't know there was anything said from the team's side.

Also Rasumussen has played a lot better overall than Kostin thus far. I'd make an argument for him being better than Fischer as well so I think he will just slot back into the 4th line. Veleno has played really well in 1st and since Larkin will sit the Rangers game out he will play as his replacement I think. No hope for Rasmussen to take Veleno's place though I guess if they decided to try Fabbri in 1st line there could be sense to slot Rasmussen into the 3rd line and let Veleno center 4th to further diversify scoring depth.

Quoting: Hollands_missing_brain
Honestly, fine.

Rasmussen has been next to terrible this entire year. Very rarely have I witnessed a man of his size on the ice and be so timid and easily pushed off the puck. He was on the up before his injury last year so I hope he can find his game again but he has not shown any reason to be in the lineup at this moment. Not to mention Veleno has been more than solid.

I don't think he has played woefully, just not as well as the past 2 seasons. I don't remember him failing too badly towards defensive end, maybe a few too many stupid penalties but that's about it, he's been solid enough defensively. Scoring wise he has had decently many opportunities but has simply not been able to produce from great scoring chances. So he is doing the right things but is just "unlucky". And Kostin has not been any better, though he has played less and in a more defensive role. So yea, not replacing Veleno but I think he has played well enough to keep his spot in 4th line.
28 nov. 2023 à 14 h 22
Go leafs go
Rejoint: avr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 9,194
Most teams I’d say no, but I think it works for Detroit. It’s only a one year deal anyway so very little risk.
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
28 nov. 2023 à 14 h 27
Hockey/Caps fan
Rejoint: sept. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 148
NHL.com still not reporting on this LOL. I Guess the webmaster doesn't visit CapFriendly.
28 nov. 2023 à 14 h 59
Rejoint: avr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 454

He was signed based on the fact he wants to be a difference maker and other teams probably didnt want him on the top line. if he isnt in the top 6 he will be pissed.
28 nov. 2023 à 15 h 1
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 548
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
I really don't understand the plan in Detroit right now, and I don't particularly like the way they are going about building their team. Feels like more wasted money, that hip surgery is going to be a killer. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited to see Kane reunited with DeBrincat and I don't think he'll be unplayable or anything, but I don't get it.

I agree with you when it comes to some of the off-season signings and other moves they’ve been making, but I don’t put this move in that category, because this is not a building move. It looks more like a deadline rental in that the opportunities to use their remaining cap space are becoming limited, so they used some of it on a guy with no commitment beyond this season who could give them a bit of a boost if he fits in well. This is actually better than a deadline rental because they get him three months earlier and they didn’t have to give up any draft picks. (New York gave up a 2nd, 3rd and 4th to get him at a similar cap hit at last season’s deadline, and 79% of the people thought that was a win.)

Of course, there’s the surgery, but that’s supposed to make him better, right? He’s a little more than a year removed from a 92-point season, and he wasn’t bad playing hurt last season, so I see more potential upside than downside.

The contract has a no-trade clause but not a no-move clause, so if he turns out to be a disaster, they can waive him and the cap space he’s costing them goes down to $1.6M. I don’t know if this qualifies as an over-35 contract since he just turned 35 last week, but I like that there are no bonuses that could hurt the team beyond this season. But since the contract was signed after the beginning of the season, shouldn’t his cap hit be higher than his salary?
28 nov. 2023 à 15 h 2
Rejoint: avr. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 333
Quoting: jpsnow13
Yzerman is collecting old veterans and UFAs because his rebuild didn't work.

If this plan B works (playoffs without being swept) people will call him a genius. If DET still doesnt make the postseason, he should be fired.

*you are telling me there's a chance meme*

He legitimately hasn’t missed on a first round pick yet. Don’t call it a rebuild if you don’t want to be patient for prospects to turn 22
28 nov. 2023 à 15 h 4
Rejoint: août 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 1,358
Quoting: python3504
He was signed based on the fact he wants to be a difference maker and other teams probably didnt want him on the top line. if he isnt in the top 6 he will be pissed.

Then piss him off. It is a one year deal and if he plays like grabo he isn't coming back anyway.....
28 nov. 2023 à 15 h 7
Rejoint: juin 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 952
Quoting: jr400
I agree with you when it comes to some of the off-season signings and other moves they’ve been making, but I don’t put this move in that category, because this is not a building move. It looks more like a deadline rental in that the opportunities to use their remaining cap space are becoming limited, so they used some of it on a guy with no commitment beyond this season who could give them a bit of a boost if he fits in well. This is actually better than a deadline rental because they get him three months earlier and they didn’t have to give up any draft picks. (New York gave up a 2nd, 3rd and 4th to get him at a similar cap hit at last season’s deadline, and 79% of the people thought that was a win.)

Of course, there’s the surgery, but that’s supposed to make him better, right? He’s a little more than a year removed from a 92-point season, and he wasn’t bad playing hurt last season, so I see more potential upside than downside.

The contract has a no-trade clause but not a no-move clause, so if he turns out to be a disaster, they can waive him and the cap space he’s costing them goes down to $1.6M. I don’t know if this qualifies as an over-35 contract since he just turned 35 last week, but I like that there are no bonuses that could hurt the team beyond this season. But since the contract was signed after the beginning of the season, shouldn’t his cap hit be higher than his salary?

Contract is $2 million; cap hit is $2.75 because of being pro-rata

And not a 35+ contract since he wasn't 35 at the start of the league year (July 1) regardless of when it was signed
jr400 a aimé ceci.
28 nov. 2023 à 15 h 13
skates21
Rejoint: oct. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 30
Quoting: seanrushton
Risky signing by Detroit... signing him after hip surgery could backfire massively

Are you smokin one ? How on earth could this massively affect them. Teams sign third line plugs for this, in some cases 4th line and it’s pro rated. Easy enough to bury or put on waivers if it don’t work. Play him up and down the lineup. Or LTIR if he’s injured. No charge. Fairl simple
28 nov. 2023 à 15 h 16
Rejoint: avr. 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 1,232
Quoting: SKATES21
Are you smokin one ? How on earth could this massively affect them. Teams sign third line plugs for this, in some cases 4th line and it’s pro rated. Easy enough to bury or put on waivers if it don’t work. Play him up and down the lineup. Or LTIR if he’s injured. No charge. Fairl simple

Takes up a roster spot, a lineup spot, and cap space. Plus he was bad when he was in New York and on top of that a knee surgery means that he's more than likely going to be even worse at the things he was bad at

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Chargement de l'animation
Soumettre les modifications du sondage