SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2023-2024 NHL Discussion Thread #2: Early Overreactions

30 déc. 2023 à 16 h 0
Leafs going to Leafs
Rejoint: déc. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 3,039
Quoting: mv21227
I agree with your assessment of the top 4 forwards, although I’d compare them based on their roles like this

Matthews > Pettersson (#1 centers)
Marner > Boeser (best winger)
Nylander > Kuzmenko (#2 winger)
Tavares < Miller (#2 center)

For the depth players
Garland > Bertuzzi (despite struggling points wise, playing 2 and a half less minutes per game, and having an awful SH%, Garland still has more points, is better defensively, and is an elite play driver)

Mikheyev > Domi (not that close imo, somewhat similar offensively but I’d give an edge to Mikheyev there, and Mikheyev is far better defensively)

Lafferty = Jarnkrok (can understand taking Jarnkrok but Lafferty has been so good this year)

Hoglander = Knies (for rn, future wise I’d take Knies)

Blueger > Kampf (not close)

Joshua > Gregor? Not sure who’d be next but I’d take Joshua

Bert's better than Garland, like you said, awful shooting percentage... Due for a change and has been playing awesome... Like can't really compare defence bc Bertuzzi always drives plays into the Ozone... I'm taking Bert every time, especially for his workhorse mentality for Nylander and JT...

Domi's better... Playmaker, Gritty and is starting to not get absolutely unlucky... I can confidently say this as the Leafs had Mikheyev 2 years ago... Both of these 2 will shine in the playoffs especially... Taking them over Garland and Mikheyev

The Leafs passed up on a cheaper Lafferty to keep Jarnkrok in the lineup, I'm taking Jarny and the Leafs opinion on this...

And Knies has these stats, which look great... But again, he's also a workhorse who'll go in front of the net and outwork everyone... Also not afraid to drop the gloves if need be...

I'd personally take:

Robertson>Blueger
Gregor>Joshua, but this doesn't matter, could go either way

But don't know who's next to match up Kampf and McMann...
But Leafs win on forwards...
30 déc. 2023 à 16 h 4
Leafs going to Leafs
If we go to dmen also

Hughes >>>> Rielly
Hronek >>>> Brodie
Cole > McCabe
Zadorov < Liljegren
Soucy > Giordano/Timmins

If you want to compare Hronek with Brodie... Then:

Hughes >> Rielly (on the spectrum of things, Rielly isn't that far behind Hughes... He's developed his 2 way game which was his biggest weakness...)
Hronek = Brodie (Taking the metrics on this one... Brodie = Better at defence... Hronek = better at offence, neither will be over physical... Hughes just makes Hronek look better than he was)
Cole<<<<<<<
30 déc. 2023 à 16 h 24
Rejoint: juill. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 9,427
Quoting: Leafsfan98
Bert's better than Garland, like you said, awful shooting percentage... Due for a change and has been playing awesome... Like can't really compare defence bc Bertuzzi always drives plays into the Ozone... I'm taking Bert every time, especially for his workhorse mentality for Nylander and JT...

Domi's better... Playmaker, Gritty and is starting to not get absolutely unlucky... I can confidently say this as the Leafs had Mikheyev 2 years ago... Both of these 2 will shine in the playoffs especially... Taking them over Garland and Mikheyev

The Leafs passed up on a cheaper Lafferty to keep Jarnkrok in the lineup, I'm taking Jarny and the Leafs opinion on this...

And Knies has these stats, which look great... But again, he's also a workhorse who'll go in front of the net and outwork everyone... Also not afraid to drop the gloves if need be...

I'd personally take:

Robertson>Blueger
Gregor>Joshua, but this doesn't matter, could go either way

But don't know who's next to match up Kampf and McMann...
But Leafs win on forwards...

Garland is an elite play driving forward, has more points than Bertuzzi despite shooting 4% (career average is 10%), being on a line with Blueger and Joshua rather than Tavares and Nylander, and is better defensively. Bert is solid but Garland is better

I’d take Mikheyev over Domi solely because of the huge gap in their defensive play

Blueger has a better PPG than Robertson and is also a good defensive forward

Joshua has more points this season than any Leafs forward outside of the core 4, Domi, and Jarnkrok. More goals than all of them outside the core 4. He also brings a physical presence (108 hits, highest on the Leafs is 58). He’s easily better than Gregor
30 déc. 2023 à 16 h 37
Master of Bloodsport
Rejoint: nov. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 177
"Capitals Get Discouraging Injury Updates On Lindgren & Fehervary, Both Out For 'Foreseeable Future'"

Team is cursed
30 déc. 2023 à 17 h 21
Summary Writer
Rejoint: juin 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 329
Samsonov isn't bad he just has a case of the Yips. Instead of hating on him everywhere on Social Media cheer for him. If you are at A leafs game and you have seen this post cheer and chant his name. Give him a standing ovation, scream his name every time he makes a great save like what we did for Soup. He is not doing bad he just has a case of the yips. If we do what the Phillies did in baseball for Trea Turner i'm 100% certain he will turn it around
Leafsfan98 et Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
30 déc. 2023 à 17 h 53
Leafs going to Leafs
Garland is an elite play driving forward, has more points than Bertuzzi despite shooting 4% (career average is 10%), being on a line with Blueger and Joshua rather than Tavares and Nylander, and is better defensively. Bert is solid but Garland is better

I’d take Mikheyev over Domi solely because of the huge gap in their defensive play

Blueger has a better PPG than Robertson and is also a good defensive forward

Joshua has more points this season than any Leafs forward outside of the core 4, Domi, and Jarnkrok. More goals than all of them outside the core 4. He also brings a physical presence (108 hits, highest on the Leafs is 58). He’s easily better than Gregor

Garland isn't an "elite play driving forward", otherwise, Vancouver would have found a trade for him before the season started... And bertuzzi's shooting % is roughly in the 16% range while shooting at a 9% this year... Bert also is grittier and gets into the fight while creating time and space in front for Nylander and Tavares...

That defensive gap gets covered and then some by Domi's better physical play and grinding nature... Mikheyev's issue was that he'd turn into Casper come playoffs bc he couldn't deal with the rough stuff... Domi can...

Joshua (16 in 35) has less points than Jarnkrok (17 in 33), Domi (19 in 33), Rielly and has a lower PPG than Bert, Knies and potentially McCabe... And again, Gregor is good defensively while still providing the same amount of grit... Can play PP, PK and 5v5
30 déc. 2023 à 18 h 29
Garland isn't an "elite play driving forward", otherwise, Vancouver would have found a trade for him before the season started... And bertuzzi's shooting % is roughly in the 16% range while shooting at a 9% this year... Bert also is grittier and gets into the fight while creating time and space in front for Nylander and Tavares...

That defensive gap gets covered and then some by Domi's better physical play and grinding nature... Mikheyev's issue was that he'd turn into Casper come playoffs bc he couldn't deal with the rough stuff... Domi can...

Joshua (16 in 35) has less points than Jarnkrok (17 in 33), Domi (19 in 33), Rielly and has a lower PPG than Bert, Knies and potentially McCabe... And again, Gregor is good defensively while still providing the same amount of grit... Can play PP, PK and 5v5

If Bertuzzi was shooting at his career average (~14.1% excluding this season) he’d have 3 additional goals. If Garland was shooting at his career average (~10.6% excluding this season) he’d have 5 additional goals. That gives Garland a greater edge

Also neither Bertuzzi or Domi are that physical of players, they have a more physical reputation than they play because of their last names. (They are still more physical than Garland/Mikheyev, but aren’t overly physical themselves)

And also Joshua’s PPG is actually better than Bertuzzi, Knies, and McCabe. Additionally, Blueger has a better PPG than all Leafs forwards outside the core 4. As does Mikheyev. Plus Hoglander and Lafferty both currently have better PPGs than Bertuzzi
30 déc. 2023 à 19 h 6
Leafs going to Leafs
If Bertuzzi was shooting at his career average (~14.1% excluding this season) he’d have 3 additional goals. If Garland was shooting at his career average (~10.6% excluding this season) he’d have 5 additional goals. That gives Garland a greater edge

Also neither Bertuzzi or Domi are that physical of players, they have a more physical reputation than they play because of their last names. (They are still more physical than Garland/Mikheyev, but aren’t overly physical themselves)

And also Joshua’s PPG is actually better than Bertuzzi, Knies, and McCabe. Additionally, Blueger has a better PPG than all Leafs forwards outside the core 4. As does Mikheyev. Plus Hoglander and Lafferty both currently have better PPGs than Bertuzzi

Bertuzzi usually shoots around 16% (last year and this year being exceptions...) and have higher Expected goals than Garland by almost double... Thus, being way more effective offensive player...

They are, especially in scrums and fights... While helping the others get into it...

And again, Jarnkrok and Rielly having higher PPGs than Blueger...
30 déc. 2023 à 19 h 15
Bertuzzi usually shoots around 16% (last year and this year being exceptions...) and have higher Expected goals than Garland by almost double... Thus, being way more effective offensive player...

They are, especially in scrums and fights... While helping the others get into it...

And again, Jarnkrok and Rielly having higher PPGs than Blueger...

Jarnkrok: 17P in 33GP (0.52 PPG)
Blueger: 13P in 22GP (0.59 PPG)

Not sure why you’re including Rielly in a discussion about forwards
30 déc. 2023 à 19 h 20
WentWughes
Rejoint: nov. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 10,296
It's nice to see Pezzetta actual contend in fights this year. I got tired of him getting embarrassed night after night last year.
30 déc. 2023 à 19 h 20
GM CRIME DAWG
Rejoint: mars 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 2,704
Bunting liking some home cooking!
KSIxSKULLS a aimé ceci.
30 déc. 2023 à 19 h 39
Leafs going to Leafs
Jarnkrok: 17P in 33GP (0.52 PPG)
Blueger: 13P in 22GP (0.59 PPG)

Not sure why you’re including Rielly in a discussion about forwards

You said: Outside of the core 4, Blueger outscored every other Leafs player... And that's not true... partly bc of Rielly...

And TBH.. That Jarnkrok thing was a guesstimate...
30 déc. 2023 à 19 h 47
You said: Outside of the core 4, Blueger outscored every other Leafs player... And that's not true... partly bc of Rielly...

And TBH.. That Jarnkrok thing was a guesstimate...

I said Blueger had a better PPG than all Leafs forwards outside the core 4. Wasn’t including dmen in that
30 déc. 2023 à 19 h 55
Leafs going to Leafs
I said Blueger had a better PPG than all Leafs forwards outside the core 4. Wasn’t including dmen in that

I saw leafs players... My bad then...
mv21227 a aimé ceci.
30 déc. 2023 à 20 h 19
GM CRIME DAWG
Modifié 30 déc. 2023 à 21 h 36
Small Sample Size/Overreaction BUT...

Half a game in and 1st-Timer Georgii Merkulov leads BOS in time on ice!!!

Just sayin' LOL

2-0 NJ Early
They lose 5-2!!
30 déc. 2023 à 21 h 33
GM CRIME DAWG
Modifié 30 déc. 2023 à 21 h 48
Leafs playing Tim Horton Hawkey...
Turnover
Turnover
Turnover

1W in Last 6...................
30 déc. 2023 à 21 h 57
WentWughes
Rejoint: nov. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 10,296
Quoting: McGruff
Small Sample Size/Overreaction BUT...

Half a game in and 1st-Timer Georgii Merkulov leads BOS in time on ice!!!

Just sayin' LOL

2-0 NJ Early
They lose 5-2!!

I literally thought that was a made up player
McGruff a aimé ceci.
30 déc. 2023 à 22 h 1
GM CRIME DAWG
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
I literally thought that was a made up player

Providence_55pts in AHL last season (24G/31A), I have not seen him play.

Sleeper(?) - K-6 you usually have the up-&-coming group on ur radar!
31 déc. 2023 à 0 h 58
Amirov Forever
Rejoint: mars 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 6,095
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
*Eye starts twitching*

I cant even put into words how mad I was after waiting nearly 2 hours for the Leafs to pick, then how excited I got when Lambert was available, only for us to trade back.

Also can't put into words how mad I was when Cristall didn't show up as our pick at 28. I love Cowan, but I was set on Cristall
LeafsFanForSomeReason a aimé ceci.
31 déc. 2023 à 10 h 22
Respect Mike Grier
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 2,605
Since there is practically 0 chance he ends up in a Flyers uniform now. I would love to see Celebrini in a Blue Jackets uniform. Fantilli and Celebrini would be best young 1 2 punch in the NHL. Team would be so fun too watch.
31 déc. 2023 à 13 h 17
Respect Mike Grier
Staios named actual GM of Sens... not a fan tbh

especially when elite GM Chuck Fletcher is available
31 déc. 2023 à 14 h 3
torontos finest
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,197
Samsonov's getting waived.

Entirely expected. He's been unplayable.
BigBallsBriere, capsfan2121, GarthBrooks and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
31 déc. 2023 à 14 h 3
Respect Mike Grier
Quoting: mondo

still kinda crazy
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
31 déc. 2023 à 14 h 7
Tintin over 1122
Rejoint: mai 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 10,168
Quoting: mondo

I knew he would come back down to earth. He was like that in Washington. That’s why we let him go for nothing
31 déc. 2023 à 14 h 10
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 21,075
Leafs management gonna ruin Hildeby's development

Would have called Petruzelli up

Anyways hope Sammy finds his game soon as its better for everyone
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.

To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option