SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2023-24 NHL Season Discussion Thread #1: Here we Go!

29 oct. 2023 à 9 h 10
WentWughes
Rejoint: nov. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 10,279
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Former Pittsburgh Penguin Adam Johnson (he played 13 games for the Pens from 2018 to 2020) has died after getting his throat cut by a skate blade yesterday in an EIHL (UK’s top hockey league) game

Is this the first confirmed death from this? The 4 I can remember off the top of my head all survived.
29 oct. 2023 à 10 h 9
Bedard23
Rejoint: mai 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 4,479
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Former Pittsburgh Penguin Adam Johnson (he played 13 games for the Pens from 2018 to 2020) has died after getting his throat cut by a skate blade yesterday in an EIHL (UK’s top hockey league) game

I’ve been calling for neck guards to be introduced to hockey for a longtime now, this only reinforces my statements

Also due to the accident, the games that were scheduled in the EIHL today have been postponed

And the game where it happened was abandoned and I’m not sure if it’ll resume
29 oct. 2023 à 10 h 36
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 17,403
Quoting: IconicHawk
I’ve been calling for neck guards to be introduced to hockey for a longtime now, this only reinforces my statements

Also due to the accident, the games that were scheduled in the EIHL today have been postponed

And the game where it happened was abandoned and I’m not sure if it’ll resume

I believe neck guards are mandatory for most minor hockey leagues but yeah, neck guards should probably be mandatory for all hockey leagues
IconicHawk a aimé ceci.
29 oct. 2023 à 12 h 26
Bedard23
Another note about the Johnson death: I’m on the verge of deleting all my social media accounts because the amount of mindless fat pigs who claim the person who had his skate caught in Johnson’s neck is a murderer, like I’m pretty sure they never played a single second of hockey in their useless lives, and it sickens me that people will villainize anyone involved in freak accidents, like if he survived no one would be talking about it, but when this or other gruesome injuries happen, they all rip them apart, it makes me wish I could just leak all their identities, I’m ****ing done with them
Scooter81 et zk97 a aimé ceci.
29 oct. 2023 à 12 h 47
NoQuitInNewYork
Rejoint: juin 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 743
Another note about the Johnson death: I’m on the verge of deleting all my social media accounts because the amount of mindless fat pigs who claim the person who had his skate caught in Johnson’s neck is a murderer, like I’m pretty sure they never played a single second of hockey in their useless lives, and it sickens me that people will villainize anyone involved in freak accidents, like if he survived no one would be talking about it, but when this or other gruesome injuries happen, they all rip them apart, it makes me wish I could just leak all their identities, I’m ****ing done with them

I completely agree with you here. All those people who call the other player involved a murder are people who really just care for their own benefit. If they were in the situation, they would know how it feel. It was a freak accident and the person involved shouldn’t be logging onto social media and seeing these ****ing idiots be calling him a murderer. Instead people should be comforting him as he had witnessed something no one wants to see. **** those people who say terrible things. They deserve to go to ****ing hell.
IconicHawk a aimé ceci.
29 oct. 2023 à 14 h 23
Rejoint: juin 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 965
Quoting: Scooter81
I completely agree with you here. All those people who call the other player involved a murder are people who really just care for their own benefit. If they were in the situation, they would know how it feel. It was a freak accident and the person involved shouldn’t be logging onto social media and seeing these ****ing idiots be calling him a murderer. Instead people should be comforting him as he had witnessed something no one wants to see. **** those people who say terrible things. They deserve to go to ****ing hell.

It's really come down to the point that I think that there should be an internet that is "100% verified" and only people/companies that have been ID verified (and not anonymous) can use it/post on it/comment, etc. There can be another "dark web" for all the people that want to be anonymous/bots/etc. News sites that are considered "of record", government websites, any online business reviews, and any other website that wants to participate in it can then "opt in" and the real people that want to use the internet above board can do so free and clear of all the idiots, fake people, and criminals.

I don't know, I just don't think there is any other way for society to use the internet responsibly. Having kids that are about to enter the pre-teen years scares the hell out of me.
29 oct. 2023 à 15 h 15
Ban Price trades
Rejoint: oct. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 6,455

Quoting: Scooter81

Quoting: HockeyScotty
It's really come down to the point that I think that there should be an internet that is "100% verified" and only people/companies that have been ID verified (and not anonymous) can use it/post on it/comment, etc. There can be another "dark web" for all the people that want to be anonymous/bots/etc. News sites that are considered "of record", government websites, any online business reviews, and any other website that wants to participate in it can then "opt in" and the real people that want to use the internet above board can do so free and clear of all the idiots, fake people, and criminals.

I don't know, I just don't think there is any other way for society to use the internet responsibly. Having kids that are about to enter the pre-teen years scares the hell out of me.

Big fan of the love being directed towards Adam Johnson but please don't use this as an opportunity to politicize or detract from the main focus here (which should be the enforcement of player safety and the well-wishes to his friends and family). Some people are going to have exceptionally stupid takes on a good day, and freak accidents like this only serve to add to the "shock value" of their stupid takes. We as a society don't need martyrdom for every smooth-brained take out there. Reporting and blocking is a great feature here, and they exist on other platforms too. Sensationalizing the death of an individual or collective for clicks and views is sick behaviour.

Likewise, I shouldn't need to remind anyone but please don't post any videos of the incident here. Thanks guys.
A_Habs_fan, IconicHawk et zk97 a aimé ceci.
29 oct. 2023 à 15 h 54
Bedard23
Quoting: BeterChiarelli
Big fan of the love being directed towards Adam Johnson but please don't use this as an opportunity to politicize or detract from the main focus here (which should be the enforcement of player safety and the well-wishes to his friends and family). Some people are going to have exceptionally stupid takes on a good day, and freak accidents like this only serve to add to the "shock value" of their stupid takes. We as a society don't need martyrdom for every smooth-brained take out there. Reporting and blocking is a great feature here, and they exist on other platforms too. Sensationalizing the death of an individual or collective for clicks and views is sick behaviour.

Likewise, I shouldn't need to remind anyone but please don't post any videos of the incident here. Thanks guys.

Likewise, I wouldn’t recommend looking for the video online either, I did, that was the worst mistake I made all day
BeterChiarelli a aimé ceci.
29 oct. 2023 à 16 h 8
NoQuitInNewYork
Rejoint: juin 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 743

Got it, Understand where your coming from.
29 oct. 2023 à 17 h 28
EklundCelebriniSmith
Rejoint: sept. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 12,835
Modifié 29 oct. 2023 à 17 h 54
If the Sharks didn’t have Eklund they quite literally would be least enjoyable thing to watch on television.
Scooter81, capsfan2121, NorthernLeafsFan05 and 2 others a aimé ceci.
29 oct. 2023 à 18 h 14
Master of Bloodsport
Rejoint: nov. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 177
**** this team bro
capsfan2121 a aimé ceci.
29 oct. 2023 à 19 h 17
Tintin over 1122
Mentions "j'aime": 10,168
Dylan Strome for the hart
29 oct. 2023 à 19 h 24
Bedard23
Now we must witness the abomination known as the Oilers Heritage Classic jerseys
29 oct. 2023 à 19 h 27
EklundCelebriniSmith
Quoting: Otto_Kirov
**** this team bro

woulda been like 2 to 5 - 1 Caps without Blackwood.
capsfan2121 a aimé ceci.
29 oct. 2023 à 19 h 30
EklundCelebriniSmith
Vlasic really said "ima take a shot on net from our red line" -> icing leads to Caps goal.
capsfan2121 a aimé ceci.
29 oct. 2023 à 19 h 33
Ban Price trades
Now we must witness the abomination known as the Oilers Heritage Classic jerseys

Hated them when they were announced, kinda like how they look in game.

It's nowhere near the best jersey in the league but they're kinda growing on me.
BigBallsBriere a aimé ceci.
29 oct. 2023 à 19 h 35
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 21,047
Modifié 29 oct. 2023 à 19 h 46

It's nowhere near the best jersey in the league but they're kinda growing on me.

Idk how these artists just can never get these special jerseys right.

Just use AI to design jerseys as it often gets em right lul
29 oct. 2023 à 19 h 44
Respect Mike Grier
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 2,603

tbh I think their unique and cool. I'm also a sucker for brown gloves
29 oct. 2023 à 19 h 52
Ban Price trades
Why is Huberdeau on the point instead of playing as a bumper on the powerplay? What a waste of his speed and playmaking.
29 oct. 2023 à 19 h 54
Bedard23
Why is Huberdeau on the point instead of playing as a bumper on the powerplay? What a waste of his speed and playmaking.

I might be crazy to say this, but he might’ve just been a product of Joel Quennville’s system
29 oct. 2023 à 19 h 58
Respect Mike Grier
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 2,603
I might be crazy to say this, but he might’ve just been a product of Joel Quennville’s system

He's been good for a decade tho, and entered true stardom at the tail end of Boughners rein as FLA coach. I think his demise is more of a case of laziness.
29 oct. 2023 à 19 h 58
Amirov Forever
Rejoint: mars 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 6,085
Quoting: yikes
If the Sharks didn’t have Eklund they quite literally would be least enjoyable thing to watch on television.

Just think of how much fun it's going to be watching Celebrini and Smith
29 oct. 2023 à 20 h 9
GM CRIME DAWG
Rejoint: mars 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 2,702
Why was Markstrom making himself smaller for the Bouchard screen goal - ahhh snap!
29 oct. 2023 à 20 h 20
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 21,047
CGY gonna be selling by Dec calling it now
29 oct. 2023 à 20 h 23
Amirov Forever
Rejoint: mars 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 6,085
Quoting: aadoyle
CGY gonna be selling by Dec calling it now

Noah Hanifin, you are a Toronto Maple Leaf