SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Toronto Maple Leafs 2023 2024 Offseason Discussion - Draft Day And Free Agency

14 août 2023 à 13 h 0
Sadness
Rejoint: mars 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 981
Quoting: Random2152
CF usually doesn't change anything until things become official. They're just waiting for him to be sent back to London officially

Alright that's what I thought. Thanks!
14 août 2023 à 13 h 52
Just Keep Swimming
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 5,673
Holy ****. Amirov died...

**** cancer
Trickster, CameronSquires, MatthewsFan and 2 others a aimé ceci.
14 août 2023 à 13 h 59
Rejoint: mai 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 5,207
Oh my f-ing god. Rest in peace, Rodion Amirov.
Trickster, MatthewsFan, CameronSquires and 2 others a aimé ceci.
14 août 2023 à 14 h 21
hey look a squirrel
Rejoint: mai 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 3,760
Sad day, thoughts and prayers to Amirov family
MatthewsFan, CameronSquires, Saskleaf and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
14 août 2023 à 14 h 22
Saskoiler for now
Rejoint: avr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 9,237
Modifié 14 août 2023 à 15 h 8
RIP to Rodion Amirov. I’ve heard he was a Christian so he’s gone to a better place but still, 21 years is way too short to be on earth.
MatthewsFan, CameronSquires et oneX a aimé ceci.
14 août 2023 à 14 h 28
Sadness
Rest in peace Rodion Amirov, gone way too soon.

Thoughts and prayers with his family and loved ones
MatthewsFan, Saskleaf, Trickster and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
14 août 2023 à 14 h 48
Sadness
Question to mods, why take down all of the posts about Amirov's passing in ACGM? I know it isn't really a team but not many people check the forums so ACGM was a way to notify people of his passing and wish his family well.
Saskleaf, Trickster et oneX a aimé ceci.
14 août 2023 à 16 h 51
Démarrer sujet
Amirov Forever
Mentions "j'aime": 6,097
Rest in peace Rodion Amirov 💙🤍
Saskleaf, Trickster, oneX and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
14 août 2023 à 17 h 23
Rejoint: janv. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 5,298
Wow... Wasn't expecting to hear this news today. Especially not after the most recent update regarding Amirov, which sounded full of optimism.

I think it's important to remember right now that from all accounts of Rodion that we've heard, he was a tremendous person who was full of kindness and joy, and that's what the world - and especially those close to him - lost today.

I'm so sorry for his family and friends...
Saskleaf, Trickster, oneX and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
14 août 2023 à 17 h 33
Rejoint: mars 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 2,648
Incredibly sad news hearing of Rodion's passing. Thoughts and prayers to his family and friends.
Trickster, MatthewsFan et Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
15 août 2023 à 12 h 28
Démarrer sujet
Amirov Forever
Rest in peace Bobby Baun. Tough couple days for Leafs nation. 💙🤍
Saskleaf et oneX a aimé ceci.
15 août 2023 à 17 h 4
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 21,097
Modifié 15 août 2023 à 18 h 25
Lot of people gonna be talking about the Cherepanov Rule in Amirov's case but I do not believe it applies due to the ELC

Either way idc about compensation or anything just sucks we never gonna get to see this kid play next to Matthews or on the Leafs in general.
15 août 2023 à 17 h 28
Démarrer sujet
Amirov Forever
Quoting: aadoyle
Lot of people gonna be talking about the Cherepanov Rule in Amirov's case but I do not believe it applies

But who knows NHL might make an exception due to the circumstances and rarity of this whole situation

Either way idc just sucks we never gonna get to see this kid play next to Matthews or on the Leafs in general.

The Cherepanov Rule only applies to unsigned prospects, but thats really the last thing Im concerned about in regards to Amirov
15 août 2023 à 17 h 31
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
The Cherepanov Rule only applies to unsigned prospects, but thats really the last thing Im concerned about in regards to Amirov

Yeah we have a whole year before that becomes a thing.

A young man who should be in the prime of his life died yesterday. Let's worry about today first
15 août 2023 à 17 h 54
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 15 août 2023 à 18 h 22
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05

To me the rule needs to be updated for teams in the future.

As even beyond Amirov even if you sign a 1st round prospect to an ELC if he passes away due to unfortunate circumstances team should be compensated.

In the end dont care if we get or not we lost a top prospect to an unfortunate disease way to soon feels bad for everyone.

Taken to soon before we could even see him play RIP
15 août 2023 à 17 h 59
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 15 août 2023 à 18 h 53
Yeah we have a whole year before that becomes a thing.

A young man who should be in the prime of his life died yesterday. Let's worry about today first

Yea Amirov is what's most important poor guy just an interesting debate that came up

Personally I dont care for us being compensated or not but through looking at the rule man it needs to be updated
15 août 2023 à 18 h 59
Hakuna Matata
Honestly in honour of Amirov Leafs should retire his jersey number

The number 72 should hang in the rafters next to all the greats like Gilmour, Clark, Bower, and Horton

Despite never suiting up in a game for us his legacy and what he went through should be more than enough to justify it

Kid was taken from us to soon and to honour him we should do something only a select few receive.

Still cant believe he is gone RIP Amirov
16 août 2023 à 2 h 3
I was having a conversation with friends about Matthews' next contract and we'll... the conversation went to "getting every dollar you can from the organization" vs "do you want to win badly enough that you're willing to leave some money on the table so that the rest of the roster can be stronger".

We had differing opinions on this but essentially from my view point, it's not lost on me that other top players in the league haven't completely squeezed their team of every dollar they could have had and now I look at Matthews and eventually Marner and think "how badly do you want to win"

Guess we'll see with this next contract for Matthews.
16 août 2023 à 6 h 48
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: oneX
I was having a conversation with friends about Matthews' next contract and we'll... the conversation went to "getting every dollar you can from the organization" vs "do you want to win badly enough that you're willing to leave some money on the table so that the rest of the roster can be stronger".

We had differing opinions on this but essentially from my view point, it's not lost on me that other top players in the league haven't completely squeezed their team of every dollar they could have had and now I look at Matthews and eventually Marner and think "how badly do you want to win"

Guess we'll see with this next contract for Matthews.

Is gonna be about 5@13.5

Feel free to make that fit whatever your preconceived notions are. Everyone else will
oneX a aimé ceci.
16 août 2023 à 8 h 52
Rejoint: avr. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 1,512
Is gonna be about 513.5

Feel free to make that fit whatever your preconceived notions are. Everyone else will

This number has made sense to me, too. Given 13.9m per would be the same percentage of the cap that McDavid gets...anything over $14m cap hit is bad business.

Understanding that the cap is expected to go up again for next year...but nobody can argue that $13.5 isn't "respectful" given MacKinnon just reupped for $12.6 after leading colorado to the cup
oneX a aimé ceci.
16 août 2023 à 10 h 3
Is gonna be about 5@13.5

Quoting: Juice
This number has made sense to me, too. Given 13.9m per would be the same percentage of the cap that McDavid gets...anything over $14m cap hit is bad business.

Understanding that the cap is expected to go up again for next year...but nobody can argue that $13.5 isn't "respectful" given MacKinnon just reupped for $12.6 after leading colorado to the cup

Okay so... I would have brought up MacKinnon's contract but one of you did so cool. How much more did MacKinnon get over McDavid?

🤷 Was MacKinnon getting what he got respectful vs what Matthews will eventually get?

I'm all for players getting all that they can... but the ultimate respect is when players have already had a big contract and for the next one focus on what can be done to have a stronger roster to try and win.

Even if Matthews and Marner left 2-3 million on the table, does anyone here believe they won't make more than that in just endorsements/sponsorships?

I guess we'll see.
16 août 2023 à 13 h 41
Just Keep Swimming
Okay so... I would have brought up MacKinnon's contract but one of you did so cool. How much more did MacKinnon get over McDavid?

🤷 Was MacKinnon getting what he got respectful vs what Matthews will eventually get?

I'm all for players getting all that they can... but the ultimate respect is when players have already had a big contract and for the next one focus on what can be done to have a stronger roster to try and win.

Even if Matthews and Marner left 2-3 million on the table, does anyone here believe they won't make more than that in just endorsements/sponsorships?

I guess we'll see.

Matthews is better than MacKinnon (on average). I have no issues with him being paid more. He will still be below McDavids % (which might actually end up pushing his number closer to 14). Regardless it's fine
oneX a aimé ceci.
16 août 2023 à 14 h 10
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 17 août 2023 à 12 h 23
Matthews is better than MacKinnon (on average). I have no issues with him being paid more. He will still be below McDavids % (which might actually end up pushing his number closer to 14). Regardless it's fine

Yep

In general Matthews said he is willing to leave money but its not like he's gonna sign a 12.7m deal

Personally I think Brad's gonna get him on a longer deal than people expect as if he gave in to 3-5 years deal would have been probs signed July 1

I feel the reason we waiting till now is Brad's pushing for the 8 year term no more giving in to less term tonnes of money

Matthews next deal therefore will be 13.85m x 8 years but if it is 5 years will probs be 13m on the dot

Nylander and Marner are whole different stories. I see Nylander either relenting and signing 8.8m x 8 years or being trades and for Marner slight increase in pay 12m x 8 years. And for the final member of the big 4 I dont see coming back or if he does it will be a 5-6m x 2 year deal
17 août 2023 à 1 h 55

Matthews is better than MacKinnon, sure I can find common ground with you on that but...is he light years better than MacKinnon?

Funny enough I'm about to make my point here now that I made a few days ago with my friends and heard the exact same point being made on the Overdrive show in Toronto on Wednesday evening about how guys like McDavid and MacKinnon sign these 8 year deals, but here in Toronto the narrative becomes "okay, I'll sign whatever 3-4-5 year deal but that's all I'm willing to do"

Why is it that other top players sign deals that favour their team but here in Toronto it's different because what? I don't get it.

Yeah the 12.7 (12.whatever number) is a bit of a dreamland number but signing Matthews to something in the 13 million range is reasonable. My gripe comes in at the term. I'm not sure why more us are not puzzled that our guys won't/can't commit to an 8 year deal but we see top guys on other teams doing this enough.
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
17 août 2023 à 7 h 48
Just Keep Swimming
Matthews is better than MacKinnon, sure I can find common ground with you on that but...is he light years better than MacKinnon?

Funny enough I'm about to make my point here now that I made a few days ago with my friends and heard the exact same point being made on the Overdrive show in Toronto on Wednesday evening about how guys like McDavid and MacKinnon sign these 8 year deals, but here in Toronto the narrative becomes "okay, I'll sign whatever 3-4-5 year deal but that's all I'm willing to do"

Why is it that other top players sign deals that favour their team but here in Toronto it's different because what? I don't get it.

Yeah the 12.7 (12.whatever number) is a bit of a dreamland number but signing Matthews to something in the 13 million range is reasonable. My gripe comes in at the term. I'm not sure why more us are not puzzled that our guys won't/can't commit to an 8 year deal but we see top guys on other teams doing this enough.

Leafs players have brains while the rest of the NHL doesnt. Simple as

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage