SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Toronto Maple Leafs 2023 2024 Offseason Discussion - Now What?

3 juin 2023 à 18 h 42
Démarrer sujet
Amirov Forever
Rejoint: mars 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 6,049

3 juin 2023 à 22 h 32
Démarrer sujet
Amirov Forever

I really liked Dubas, but if we committed to him for 7 years I would've been upset. I'm kind of glad we moved on
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
3 juin 2023 à 22 h 39
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 20,974
Modifié 3 juin 2023 à 22 h 44
Quoting: Nathaniel

I really liked Dubas, but if we committed to him for 7 years I would've been upset. I'm kind of glad we moved on

I mean Shanahan signed a 6 year extension in Toronto back in 2019 as President.

Presidents often get long extensions. GM Dubas probs would have got a 3-5 year deal like we saw with Francis.

But lets be honest if he got 7 years here we would get a Babcock situation where hes fired after 3 years then MLSE just gets pissed
3 juin 2023 à 23 h 24
Hakuna Matata
Sees VGK beat Bob takes notes

Okay make a giant 4th line

Claim a bunch of Misfits

Rob a team in a trade

Show no loyalty

Alright gonna be a weird offseason lul
3 juin 2023 à 23 h 25
Ovchinnikov 137
Rejoint: avr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,982

I can’t wait till it’s just Treliving and Keefe left
anchorman-jump.gif
3 juin 2023 à 23 h 32
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: MatthewsFan
anchorman-jump.gif

And president Pridham
3 juin 2023 à 23 h 39
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: aadoyle
And president Pridham

I’m looking forward to him joining Dubas in PIT
3 juin 2023 à 23 h 41
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 3 juin 2023 à 23 h 53
I’m looking forward to him joining Dubas in PIT

Nah why be GM there when u can be President in a year. Bigger opportunities await especially once AM extends. As Pitts gonna spend a bunch in FA for a 2 year window then its a 5 year rebuild

People forget Pridham is not an official Dubas guy. Shanahan hired him he just got promoted to assistant GM after Dubas took the GM job from Lou. But even if Lou was still GM Pridham would have probs been promoted once Hunter left.

The GM jobs eventually gonna become obsolete in hockey as its the president role where everything's at.

Now I do expect Clark and Spezza to join but thats a different manner.
3 juin 2023 à 23 h 53
Ovchinnikov 137
Nah why be GM there when u can be President in a year. Bigger opportunities await

People forget Pridham is not an official Dubas guy. Shanahan hired him he just got promoted to assistant GM after Dubas took the GM job from Lou. But even if Lou was still GM Pridham would have probs been promoted once Hunter left.

Pridham was assistant to Nonis and Lou. Then got promoted to GM when Dubas took over.

The GM jobs eventually gonna become obsolete in hockey as its the president role where everything's at.

Now I do expect Clark and Spezza to join but thats a different manner.

There are 32 NHL teams and only 10 teams have a President of Operations. They get paid more with less responsibility and expect for two are all former players that are sitting in that role as figure heads and advisors.

WHAT IS THE NEED FOR A PRESIDENT OF OPERATIONS

I would have loved to have Dubas running this ship for the next 7 years. Cause what, we have 3-4 years left, depending on how long Matthews re-signs for (And that’s still a maybe).

Till we enter a full rebuild with fukcin Brad Treliving at the helm. Ya us!
NorthernLeafsFan05 a aimé ceci.
3 juin 2023 à 23 h 54
Démarrer sujet
Amirov Forever
anchorman-jump.gif

I dont just to judge Treliving too harshly yet. I actually really like the guy. The fact we went with such a safe option over a Tulsky / Darche was a little annoying, but I'm looking forward to seeing what a fresh set of eyes can do for our roster.

Keefe on the other hand...
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
3 juin 2023 à 23 h 57
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 4 juin 2023 à 0 h 5
I dont just to judge Treliving too harshly yet. I actually really like the guy. The fact we went with such a safe option over a Tulsky / Darche was a little annoying, but I'm looking forward to seeing what a fresh set of eyes can do for our roster.

Keefe is interesting as maybe without Dubas babysitting him we see the best performance. As if u think about it hes playing for his next contract and there is no Dubas to protect him this time. Buddy went to the old folks home and so its time for him to man up

We either see the same **** or a whole new and improved Keefe

As hes a good reg season coach but needs a bit more drive in the playoffs. Cause really rn there is nobody who moves the needle out there rn.

As for Tree guys made good and bad moves. When he makes a big deal usually goes good for CGY. People gonna go Tkachuck deal. Sutter killed Huberdeau and Weegar. If hes not coach got a feeling both perform well and CGY makes playoffs.

If he can turn Nylander into a top tier Dman or a package similar to what Horvat got and then extend Matthews to a 5-8 year deal instant fan fav
3 juin 2023 à 23 h 58
Hakuna Matata
There are 32 NHL teams and only 10 teams have a President of Operations. They get paid more with less responsibility and expect for two are all former players that are sitting in that role as figure heads and advisors.

WHAT IS THE NEED FOR A PRESIDENT OF OPERATIONS

I would have loved to have Dubas running this ship for the next 7 years. Cause what, we have 3-4 years left, depending on how long Matthews re-signs for (And that’s still a maybe).

Till we enter a full rebuild with fukcin Brad Treliving at the helm. Ya us!

Dubas for 7 years would have been Babcock situation where they cant fire him even if he sucks after 3 years especially with the success rate of this team.

Things needed to change in more ways than just the players. Would have wanted more than just GM but thats what was chosen

As he did some good yes but he didnt do enough to get a 7 year deal nope
3 juin 2023 à 23 h 58
Ovchinnikov 137

You like his lip service, I can see a lot do.

I’m looking at CGY and the ship he left Conroy and that scares me. There is nothing about his previous experience that gives me any hope he can lead TOR.

As a fan, of course I hope he shuts me up and proves me wrong
4 juin 2023 à 0 h 8
Démarrer sujet
Amirov Forever
You like his lip service, I can see a lot do.

I’m looking at CGY and the ship he left Conroy and that scares me. There is nothing about his previous experience that gives me any hope he can lead TOR.

As a fan, of course I hope he shuts me up and proves me wrong

I try not to put too much stock into what GMs say during pressers because it's usually just a nothing burger. I think there's quite a bit to like about his philosophies in regards to constructing a roster. Calgary has a really good team, they just need the right voice behind the bench. I like that Treliving makes some bigger swings in terms of adding support around the team instead of adding a ton of cheap bodies that are elevated by our core. Guys like Jarnkrok and Bunting are great with the core, but without those bigger names on their lines, they're damn near useless. Filling our roster with Kerfoots and Holls has gone on for far too long. Going out to get guys that can push the needle without needed to ride the coat tails of Matthews and Marner is paramount. We need more scoring, it's that simple. Our defense group is pretty good and our goaltending is as simple as resigning Sammy. Just get a few scoring wingers that can drive play on their own and we're good. That's all Dubas had to do last summer, or at this TDL, but we didn't. I hated it then and I hate it more now.

New philosophies from the top down can be very beneficial. I don't want to write anyone off too soon, I believe in Brad
MatthewsFan et Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
4 juin 2023 à 0 h 9
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 4 juin 2023 à 0 h 20
Idea from here https://twitter.com/JFreshHockey/status/1657137518456832005

Boston got little cap and got guys to extend

Toronto got cap and be looking for a potential Dman per a little hint in Trees quote

So Matt Grzelcyk anyone

And for those who go why would Boston be looking to trade a nice Dman. Boston wants to extend Bertuzzi and Matt Grzelcyk was a HS in playoffs

As nobody gonna want Forbort or Reilly without compensation and Bos dont got a lot of assets to give.

Now it does mean no Bertuzzi but getting Matt Grzelcyk and then extending him to a nice extension would make up for it.
4 juin 2023 à 0 h 30
Ovchinnikov 137
I try not to put too much stock into what GMs say during pressers because it's usually just a nothing burger. I think there's quite a bit to like about his philosophies in regards to constructing a roster. Calgary has a really good team, they just need the right voice behind the bench. I like that Treliving makes some bigger swings in terms of adding support around the team instead of adding a ton of cheap bodies that are elevated by our core. Guys like Jarnkrok and Bunting are great with the core, but without those bigger names on their lines, they're damn near useless. Filling our roster with Kerfoots and Holls has gone on for far too long. Going out to get guys that can push the needle without needed to ride the coat tails of Matthews and Marner is paramount. We need more scoring, it's that simple. Our defense group is pretty good and our goaltending is as simple as resigning Sammy. Just get a few scoring wingers that can drive play on their own and we're good. That's all Dubas had to do last summer, or at this TDL, but we didn't. I hated it then and I hate it more now.

New philosophies from the top down can be very beneficial. I don't want to write anyone off too soon, I believe in Brad

- CGY finished as high as second in the NHL and as low as 26th in the league during Treliving's tenure.
- CGY were a cap team in every season Treliving managed.
- The team won two rounds in his nine years under Treliving.
- The missed the playoffs 4 out of the 8 he was GM

I’m sorry but I look at this body of work and see mediocre moves with major disasters sprinkled in everywhere (multiple coaches, failure to keep RFAs). It's not a surprise the Flames had been a very middling team during his run. All of his big moves were a result of very talented players not wanting to stay. Hamilton, Fox, Tkachuk, Gaudreau (lost for nothing). Acquiring Lindholm, Hanifin, Huberdeau, and Weegar all came at the expense of losing a star player not adding to the core in place.

He leaves a CGY team again completely Capped out, a bad/mid prospect pool, and again in need of another head coach.

I’m sorry but I fail to see what is exciting about Brad Treliving.

Petty hard for Dubas to add anything more than depth guys you talk about when you have little to work with. This was a first offseason Dubas was going to have some serious cap space his he signed Tavares to work with.

God help us Treliving doesn’t mess it up.

Agree to disagree, I’m honestly happy fans are excited to see Treliving. I’m not one
4 juin 2023 à 0 h 40
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 4 juin 2023 à 0 h 56
- CGY finished as high as second in the NHL and as low as 26th in the league during Treliving's tenure.

I’m sorry but I look at this body of work and see mediocre moves with major disasters sprinkled in everywhere (multiple coaches, failure to keep RFAs). It's not a surprise the Flames had been a very middling team during his run. All of his big moves were a result of very talented players not wanting to stay. Hamilton, Fox, Tkachuk, Gaudreau (lost for nothing). Acquiring Lindholm, Hanifin, Huberdeau, and Weegar all came at the expense of losing a star player not adding to the core in place.

He leaves a CGY team again completely Capped out, a bad/mid prospect pool, and again in need of another head coach.

Petty hard for Dubas to add anything more than depth guys you talk about when you have little to work with. This was a first offseason Dubas was going to have some serious cap space his he signed Tavares to work with.

Agree to disagree, I’m honestly happy fans are excited to see Treliving. I’m not one

Last offseason Dubas had the chance to make a splash he didnt

Didnt sell high on Kerfoot after a 50 point season. Could have got us 3.5mill in cap space and a 2nd like Ottawa got for brown

Didnt try to move Holl (Min got rid of Kulikov for nothing) would have been another 2mill

Didnt have to take on Murray and 4.687mill but he did and for a 3rd and 7th. I like getting free stuff but why not push for more retention or higher assets....Ottawa was at their mercy

With the extra cap could have went and got one or two of Strome (WSH), Niederreiter, Kubalik, Perron or robbed CBJ for Oliver Bjorkstrand but nope

At least he had a semi good TDL but arguably also ruined the teams identity at the same time

In the end one could argue it was time to move on as if your doing Tree did this and that we can literally go back and do the same with Dubas.

If we look at the UFA pool this summer anyways not great but if Treeliving throws 6mill at Bertuzzi I got 0 complaints
palhal a aimé ceci.
4 juin 2023 à 0 h 57
Ovchinnikov 137
Last offseason Dubas had the chance to make a splash he didnt

Didnt sell high on Kerfoot after a 50 point season. Could have got us 3.5mill in cap space

Didnt try to move Holl (Min got rid of Kulikov for nothing) would have been another 2mill

Didnt have to take on Murray and 4.687mill but he did and for a 3rd and 7th. I like getting free stuff but why not push for more retention or higher assets....Ottawa was at their mercy

With the extra cap could have went and got one or two of Strome (WSH), Niederreiter, Kubalik, Perron or robbed CBJ for Oliver Bjorkstrand but nope

At least he had a semi good TDL but arguably also ruined the teams identity at the same time

In the end one could argue it was time to move on.

If we look at the UFA pool this summer anyways not great but if Treeliving throws 6mill at Bertuzzi I got 0 complaints

You calling out Dubas for not moving Kerfoot or taking on Murray is rich, both those guys have been in your fan club all year. Got that short term memory I see lol

All good, it’s done now, it’s Treliving time
4 juin 2023 à 1 h 4
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 4 juin 2023 à 1 h 30
You calling out Dubas for not moving Kerfoot or taking on Murray is rich, both those guys have been in your fan club all year. Got that short term memory I see lol

All good, it’s done now, it’s Treliving time

When they on your team got to make the best of them and support as much as possible. Kerfoot was a nice player heck scored the game winner in game 4 but in the end would I rather have him at that cap hit or one of the guys on my list. One of the guys on my list. As Kerfoot was good defensively but the cap hit and lack of consistent production was a headache in the end (if he made less than 3.5mill wouldnt have cared 1.5mill ish). At least he wasnt Nick Ritchie or Cody Ceci bad ugh. And for Murray what else we gonna do once we knew he was coming just had to root for the guy and honestly he had a good start unlike Mrazek but then fell off got hurt and yea never recovered. Still remember that Dallas shutout good times. Like if anything if there was a team who might have been able to get him back on his feet it would have been Toronto but sadly nope injury fairy to strong. Respect him for what he did but 4.687 mill is gonna be annoying to move. Wish we could have got more retention lul. Hopefully Robidas for him.

In the end I respect Dubas he did a good job but some of his decisions really werent great or one could argue hurt more than helped us. Wish him the best but moving on was best. As new ideas might be what this team needs. Look at Tampa let Yzerman go promoted Brisbois won a cup.

Tree's a guy who is not afraid to make a splash and is not afraid to do so. Leafs got almost 20mill to work with and there are some intriguing names. Hopefully we land one (Bertuzzi cross fingers....Would also take Patches at 1 year or Killorn on a 2 year deal)
4 juin 2023 à 1 h 19
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 4 juin 2023 à 1 h 29
If tree targets a forward this offseason gonna say Bertuzzi

If its a Dman I think its....

Rielly-Schenn
Graves-Brodie
McCabe-Liligren
4 juin 2023 à 19 h 13
hey look a squirrel
Rejoint: mai 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 3,754

I'm totally with you.
Don't stop posting brother, I need this
MatthewsFan a aimé ceci.
5 juin 2023 à 10 h 36
Démarrer sujet
Amirov Forever

Must be nice
5 juin 2023 à 10 h 43
Just Keep Swimming
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 5,602

Must be nice

Thats an overpay. I know the media coverage of the players won't give you that impression, but its a pretty serious overpay.

43 point high, less productive than Nylander both in absolute terms and PPG (over their ELC's), A higher %, and is MUCH worse defensively
5 juin 2023 à 10 h 52
Démarrer sujet
Amirov Forever
Quoting: Random2152
Thats an overpay. I know the media coverage of the players won't give you that impression, but its a pretty serious overpay.

43 point high, less productive than Nylander both in absolute terms and PPG (over their ELC's), A higher %, and is MUCH worse defensively

He scored at a 46 goal pace and has immense upside. I really wish the leafs managed to finesse their core to 8 year deals...
5 juin 2023 à 10 h 57
Just Keep Swimming
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 5,602
He scored at a 46 goal pace and has immense upside. I really wish the leafs managed to finesse their core to 8 year deals...

No one said he is bad, but he was literally worse than Nylander over the same span. His contract is not particularly team friendly and has no relation to the Leafs big 3 contracts
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage