SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Toronto Maple Leafs 2023 2024 Offseason Discussion - Now What?

20 mai 2023 à 23 h 5
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 21,250
Quoting: capsfan2121
Had the pieces to be a dynasty tbh

But remember just because there are the pieces does not necessarily mean cup

SJS is a prime example look at the teams they had from 2003-2019

To me there is still tinkering to do and the need for a coach that will turn this team into a scary forechecking maching.
capsfan2121 et Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
20 mai 2023 à 23 h 9
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 20 mai 2023 à 23 h 17
Quoting: Nathaniel
Too little too late I suppose... I'm still in awe that Kyle isn't our GM. I'm really hoping that the whole "GM with bite" quote isn't referring to some god awful hockey man, but instead someone that is willing to make hard decisions to better the team. A Kelly McCrimmon type if you will.

Call me an idiot, but I still have some faith in Shannahan to do right even after doing wrong. He's stuck around for a while and has got a few rings (as a player) to show for it. I refuse to lose all hope before we know who is brought in as a replacement. I really hope it's a promotion from within. GM Dr. Hayley Wickenheiser or GM Brandon Pridham don't sound half bad

He hired Lou and Dubas so yea his track record of GM hirings has been good. Got a feeling Shanny gonna be 3/3 in gm signings

Were linked to Armstrong apparently and that guy helped the Blues win a cup sure in 2019 and won in Dallas as an assistant GM in 1999 but we got some pieces but need to make adjustments. Maybe hes the guy for the job

If not guys like Tulsky, Wilson, Pridham, are there. Or **** it first female GM Hayley Wickenheiser lets go
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
21 mai 2023 à 10 h 35
Ovchinnikov 137
Rejoint: avr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,985
Bob broke the Leafs

Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
21 mai 2023 à 10 h 54
Just Keep Swimming
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 5,718
Modifié 21 mai 2023 à 11 h 18
Quoting: MatthewsFan
Bob broke the Leafs

I don't believe those numbers for a bit. Carolina is famous for juicing xgoals numbers with little underlying substance (through play, not some weird conspiracy crap fyi), and I'm beginning to think the Leafs were doing similar

Also on a totally unrelated note, MatthewsFan totally blocked me after the game 3 argument didn't he lmao. Lot of salt and then no replies. Just funny
aadoyle a aimé ceci.
21 mai 2023 à 13 h 45
Démarrer sujet
Amirov Forever
Rejoint: mars 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 6,185
My 3 dream / nightmare GM scenarios:

+Pridham
+Tulsky
+Futa
-Treliving
-Chiarelli
-Nonis
21 mai 2023 à 16 h 15
Ovchinnikov 137
FwrLdbJXwAo7urI?format=jpg&name=medium

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b952ef0e6dfd099db88aab3c666777fadeb54798dc49&ep=v1_internal_gifs_gifId&rid=giphy.webp&ct=g
21 mai 2023 à 16 h 37
Ovchinnikov 137
My 3 dream / nightmare GM scenarios:

+Pridham
+Tulsky
+Futa
-Treliving
-Chiarelli
-Nonis

Dream
- Tulsky
- Darche
- Botterill

Nightmare
- any GM with ‘bite’
NorthernLeafsFan05 a aimé ceci.
21 mai 2023 à 17 h 10
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 21 mai 2023 à 17 h 19
Im alright with any GM not named Chirelli, Hextall, Bergevin, Benning, and Fletcher

GM's with bite to consider: Wilson, Armstrong, McPhee all have built strong teams who have went to SCF and one has won 2 cups with 2 different orgs

But bite has many meanings and u could argue there are many GM candidates ready to make those tough choices: Tulsky, Futa, Pridham, etc
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
22 mai 2023 à 10 h 38
Ovchinnikov 137

NorthernLeafsFan05 et Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
22 mai 2023 à 10 h 42
Rejoint: janv. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 5,327
Friedman asked someone he knows at mlse what it’s like over there right now. They said it was like game of thrones…
MatthewsFan a aimé ceci.
22 mai 2023 à 10 h 52
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
Friedman asked someone he knows at mlse what it’s like over there right now. They said it was like game of thrones…

Oh it's so over.
Guess I'm going back to junior hockey for awhile.

Knights made it to game 6 of the finals in a rebuild year while their star goalie was out injured. They win the cup if Bowen doesn't put up an .872.

Especially if we can get Moore to sign and bring over Haltanen this team is going to be a titan for the next 2 years
22 mai 2023 à 11 h 5
Ovchinnikov 137

Matthews is so gone
22 mai 2023 à 12 h 2

Matthews is so gone

Idk what's gonna happen, but I'm not very optimistic.

Just find it tough to believe that a new guy is gonna come in and manage to improve upon the team.

Would much rather just see the thing blown to smithereens than wallow in mediocrity. At least rebuilds are exciting.
MatthewsFan a aimé ceci.
22 mai 2023 à 12 h 19
Just Keep Swimming

Just find it tough to believe that a new guy is gonna come in and manage to improve upon the team.

Would much rather just see the thing blown to smithereens than wallow in mediocrity. At least rebuilds are exciting.

The team is the same as it was yesterday. Blowing it up is far more likely to end in mediocrity right now
22 mai 2023 à 12 h 28
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Random2152
The team is the same as it was yesterday. Blowing it up is far more likely to end in mediocrity right now

To me u get a new coach whose got experience (Laviolette or Gallant (short term))

Make an interesting trade or two involving one or two of the big 4 (Marner or Nylander)

Add some character this summer (Bertuzzi, Barbashev, Rodrigues, etc)

They got up to 20mill to spend along options via big 4 trade go bold is what I say. U can decide either aggressive 1 year deals or specific long term deals (5mill range for 2 players)

As literally thats what FLA and VGK did
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
22 mai 2023 à 12 h 32
Quoting: Random2152

Idk man. Seems like they're bringing a new guy in with a predetermined path they want him to follow ("want a guy with bite who can make the tough decisions"). Tough to believe the new person is gonna have autonomy and rather be expected to make big changes and when your hand is kind of forced, moves don't tend to be all that great.

I'm probably over worried about this and it won't be that bad, but I'm nervous.
22 mai 2023 à 12 h 35
Ovchinnikov 137

I just find it absolutely crazy that the higher ups would rather a “mystery box GM” to handle one of the most important offseasons this franchise has had in a longtime than go with what you know and obviously trust “they had an offer for him” in Dubas.

Lucky today is a holiday cause I have a feeling you are going to see more exits from the front office.

The new GM will now be entrusted with convincing Matthews to stay by July 1, potentially trading a core member, finding a new coach, new stall his own people (scouts etc) all in a matter of weeks. Like wtf.

You have to blow it up if you don’t get some type of assurance Matthews will sign July 1. I can’t imagine what next year will be like watching him pull a Tavares to us.
LeafsFanForSomeReason a aimé ceci.
22 mai 2023 à 12 h 42
Ovchinnikov 137
If there is some sliver lining to all of this madness that has transpired, no experienced GM in their right mind is taking the GM job if Shanahan/MLSE are going to block their moves or make life difficult as a GM.

Which gives me some hope for a up and coming guy/girl
22 mai 2023 à 12 h 43
Démarrer sujet
Amirov Forever
I just find it absolutely crazy that the higher ups would rather a “mystery box GM” to handle one of the most important offseasons this franchise has had in a longtime than go with what you know and obviously trust “they had an offer for him” in Dubas.

Lucky today is a holiday cause I have a feeling you are going to see more exits from the front office.

The new GM will now be entrusted with convincing Matthews to stay by July 1, potentially trading a core member, finding a new coach, new stall his own people (scouts etc) all in a matter of weeks. Like wtf.

You have to blow it up if you don’t get some type of assurance Matthews will sign July 1. I can’t imagine what next year will be like watching him pull a Tavares to us.

I get the pessimistic outlook, and I'm not much different, but there is the potential for some positive change here. One could argue that this is actually a fantastic opportunity for the new GM, as he will be able to bring in his own guy, shake up the core and get a hefty enough return to build the team however he likes, pick from an exciting draft class, and have a ton of cap space to work with. My biggest concerns are how Matthews reacts (although if the new GM shows a clear desire to win and effectively retools us, that shouldn't be an issue), and the managerial structure. I can't foresee many GMs being thrilled at the idea of having to answer to Shanny for everything. Hopefully Shanny shows some faith in whoever steps in. I have this awful, sinking feeling it is going to be Treliving, but I don't think it really matters because I think Pridham, Wickenheiser, and Metcalf are going to steer the ship for the majority of the offseason. There is huge boom / bust opportunity for the Leafs this offseason, hopefully they bring in someone smart.

If a guy like Tulsky gets the job, I have no doubt he would do wonders
MatthewsFan a aimé ceci.
22 mai 2023 à 12 h 46
average joe
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 102
If it's ownership - and I put my MLSE hat on - I think the Raptors are in for a long rebuild so you do not want that with the Leafs at the same time. But based on their roster, I am not sure that's possible.

According to CapFriendly, the have $10M available and a roster of 14. So they need 8 or 9 players within this budget ($1.2M per player average). And this includes Muzzin on IR.
Is it better to trade more picks to dump Murray and free up a bit more cash.? Dump Murray and 1 star for even more cash?, Or

Do a planned recalibrate. Dump the stars (the UFAs). Matthews, Marner, Nyldander, Samsonov, Brody - retain salary on them all - and plan to re-start the run for 2025/26 when Tavares and these retained salaries are off the books.
22 mai 2023 à 12 h 49
Ovchinnikov 137
I get the pessimistic outlook, and I'm not much different, but there is the potential for some positive change here. One could argue that this is actually a fantastic opportunity for the new GM, as he will be able to bring in his own guy, shake up the core and get a hefty enough return to build the team however he likes, pick from an exciting draft class, and have a ton of cap space to work with. My biggest concerns are how Matthews reacts (although if the new GM shows a clear desire to win and effectively retools us, that shouldn't be an issue), and the managerial structure. I can't foresee many GMs being thrilled at the idea of having to answer to Shanny for everything. Hopefully Shanny shows some faith in whoever steps in. I have this awful, sinking feeling it is going to be Treliving, but I don't think it really matters because I think Pridham, Wickenheiser, and Metcalf are going to steer the ship for the majority of the offseason. There is huge boom / bust opportunity for the Leafs this offseason, hopefully they bring in someone smart.

I am really looking forward to tomorrow to see who else leaves. Shanny made a note of saying he spoke with Wes Clarke (Dubas guy) about the up coming draft in his presser but when was that? Going to guess before he axed Kyle.

There are just too many unknowns right now to be even remotely looking at this as a positive. I’d rather start over than watch Matthews walk for nothing. He is the only thing I care about right now.
22 mai 2023 à 12 h 56
Ovchinnikov 137

“ The next week should give a clear indication of what the future of Toronto's front office looks like. It's been described as a group divided between Dubas loyalists and others who see room for advancement.

As one employee told The Hockey News over the weekend.

"It's just getting started."
capsfan2121 a aimé ceci.
22 mai 2023 à 13 h 5
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 22 mai 2023 à 14 h 23

I think Pridham gonna force the promotion hand. As if he works on a Matthews extension and gets it set before July 1 and makes a solid trade for one of Nylander or Marner Shanny probs gives him the job

But if not Tulsky is fine
22 mai 2023 à 13 h 15
Just Keep Swimming
Idk man. Seems like they're bringing a new guy in with a predetermined path they want him to follow ("want a guy with bite who can make the tough decisions"). Tough to believe the new person is gonna have autonomy and rather be expected to make big changes and when your hand is kind of forced, moves don't tend to be all that great.

I'm probably over worried about this and it won't be that bad, but I'm nervous.

Exactly. New guy with a risky at best path. The less he does, the better
22 mai 2023 à 13 h 52
Démarrer sujet
Amirov Forever
https://theathletic.com/4532067/2023/05/22/nhl-gm-openings-garth-snow/

Interesting piece from the Athletic...
MatthewsFan a aimé ceci.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question: