SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Toronto Maple Leafs 2023 2024 Offseason Discussion - Now What?

19 mai 2023 à 22 h 3
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 21,369
Modifié 19 mai 2023 à 22 h 21
Quoting: aadoyle
Yep and im rooting for them all the way. Pridham to me has the potential to be someone like Brisbois was during that weird time Tampa had after the CBJ sweep. Yzerman left but set up the foundation, he comes in made some bold moves and they won b2b cups. Now that Jeannot trade was just bad but u get it

But anyways if there's anyone who can get things done with Matthews and make a calculated bold trade its Pridham. As this guy was a cap wizz so lets see what else he can do

Gonna lay out the framework

1. Decide on which one of Marner or Nylander to be traded for a need or in this case a 2-way D who can create offense while also defend well (i.e. Toews). Basically what the Blue Jays did when they traded Hernandez for a pitcher. Whoever gets the best offer do it. Heck maybe go bold and move both

2. Have a plan for the draft. Hes studied under Dubas for a while so I dont see a problem. Heck if u really need help Shanahan drafted Nylander and there are scouts for a reason.

3. July 1 you sit down with Matthews and Nylander (if hes still here) and start extension talks or have the deal ready for them to sign (Started negotiating since 20th)

4. Decide on free agents and stuff (Should be some fun contracts)

Dont see it getting here but 5. Help Shanahan decide whose a good GM candidate (if your not already promoted)

Cause honestly now that I think about it if VGK can be crazy trading ABCD and still making semi finals/finals 4 of 6 years then yea change could be whats needed as they seem to do it all the time lul

But yea this quote sums things best for if this happens

So Tulsky could actually be a thing but I want to give Pridham a shot first
19 mai 2023 à 22 h 15
Hakuna Matata
How would people feel about Rodrigues as a 2c
19 mai 2023 à 22 h 24
Démarrer sujet
Amirov Forever
Rejoint: mars 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 6,256
Gonna lay out the framework

1. Decide on which one of Marner or Nylander to be traded for a need or in this case a 2-way D who can create offense while also defend well (i.e. Toews). Basically what the Blue Jays did when they traded Hernandez for a pitcher. Whoever gets the best offer do it. Heck maybe go bold and move both

2. Have a plan for the draft. Hes studied under Dubas for a while so I dont see a problem. Heck if u really need help Shanahan drafted Nylander and there are scouts for a reason.

3. July 1 you sit down with Matthews and Nylander (if hes still here) and start extension talks or have the deal ready for them to sign (Started negotiating since 20th)

4. Decide on free agents and stuff (Should be some fun contracts)

Dont see it getting here but 5. Help Shanahan decide whose a good GM candidate (if your not already promoted)

Cause honestly now that I think about it if VGK can be crazy trading ABCD and still making semi finals/finals 4 of 6 years then yea change could be whats needed as they seem to do it all the time lul

But yea this quote sums things best for if this happens

So Tulsky could actually be a thing but I want to give Pridham a shot first

Personally, I'm not mad about the fact Dubas was fired, I'm mad about the way he was fired. Im not going to bother criticizing the move until we know whose next

I would've preferred to keep Dubas, but I understand the want for change. It can only be justified if we are getting a clear cut upgrade though. I'm going to keep beating the Tulsky drum, but there are a ton of talented hockey minds out there
MatthewsFan et oneX a aimé ceci.
19 mai 2023 à 22 h 31
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 19 mai 2023 à 22 h 40
Quoting: Nathaniel
Personally, I'm not mad about the fact Dubas was fired, I'm mad about the way he was fired. Im not going to bother criticizing the move until we know whose next

I would've preferred to keep Dubas, but I understand the want for change. It can only be justified if we are getting a clear cut upgrade though. I'm going to keep beating the Tulsky drum, but there are a ton of talented hockey minds out there

Im kind of in the mindset of wtf happened lul but then when we get some stuff here and there we can all agree both sides ****ed up

Dubas, his agent, heck maybe both overplayed their hand that final week like come on should have signed the deal offered Monday and as for MLSE should never have gone into the season without at least a 1 year extension in play. Should have told Shanny hey get this guy extended by Christmas (even if its like a 1year deal who cares its still an extension)

Thats how I view it. Now Shanahan has hired 2 good GM's. Now I hope Pridham's the guy but who knows maybe its Tulsky

I have faith Pridham will surprise people and do a good job as interim GM and if that man gets Matthews to extend u give him the extension u offered to Dubas
19 mai 2023 à 22 h 40
Ovchinnikov 137
Rejoint: avr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,990

Absolutely, but if this is the list of contenders, wtf.

FwiNMH4XsAEVQ5W?format=jpg&name=large

How do you go to your franchise player (Matthews) and say, “Auston here is your new GM and his new vision for the team” 6 weeks before his full NMC kicks in. And for good measure, we publicly humiliated your former GM as we fired him.

Good luck with that

1659734455408373763?s=46&t=dH-VoNCgylRI5xOiyMXqOQ
19 mai 2023 à 22 h 41
Ovchinnikov 137

Above
NorthernLeafsFan05 a aimé ceci.
19 mai 2023 à 23 h 5
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 19 mai 2023 à 23 h 41
Quoting: MatthewsFan
Absolutely, but if this is the list of contenders, wtf.

FwiNMH4XsAEVQ5W?format=jpg&name=large

How do you go to your franchise player (Matthews) and say, “Auston here is your new GM and his new vision for the team” 6 weeks before his full NMC kicks in. And for good measure, we publicly humiliated your former GM as we fired him.

Good luck with that

1659734455408373763?s=46&t=dH-VoNCgylRI5xOiyMXqOQ

Well there is someone else

Doug Wilson hes apparently ready to come back. And this is someone whose very interesting. The one concern was him extending all those old guys rather than move on but when we look at the record guy built a sharks team that arguably should have won a cup in 2016

Hes made good trades, has a pretty solid draft record, the only concern giving old guys money. But this is someone worth considering.
20 mai 2023 à 0 h 3
Hakuna Matata
I see 3 scenarios for Management

GM: Tulsky

Assistant GM's all the same

Coach: Laviolette

GM: Pridham

Coach: Carbery

GM: Doug Wilson

Coach: Gallant

Got a feeling option 2 is what we see 2023-2024 and im not opposed to it
oneX et Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
20 mai 2023 à 2 h 42
Rejoint: mars 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 2,689

I know we are on Capfriendly and generally, advice taken from here should be with a huge grain of salt but... I think Dubas not being extended was entirely his own fault.

Shanny mentioned that he advised Dubas against holding a press conference on the Monday but Dubas went ahead anyway and had it. During said press conference, Dubas admitted to being unsure of being Leafs GM and here's where my free piece of advice to all of you comes: first of all, if your boss advises you against doing something, that means he doesn't want you doing it at THAT particular moment.

Secondly, even if in your mind you have doubts about being GM (or whatever position) keep that to yourself, especially if in the end you feel you want the position because the ugly truth about this in the business world is, the people above you start having doubts about you the moment you make such an admission.

We don't know what else was tabled in terms of new coach? Or.. promises of one or more players of the core guys being traded but I guess we won't find that out anytime soon.

Dubas not being Leafs GM was entirely his own doing or rather undoing IMO.

I know some of you guys are mad about what happened but I feel Dubas entirely said too much, too soon and it cost him.
20 mai 2023 à 2 h 50
Rejoint: mars 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 2,689
I see 3 scenarios for Management

GM: Tulsky

Coach: Laviolette

GM: Pridham

Coach: Carbery

GM: Doug Wilson

Coach: Gallant

Got a feeling option 2 is what we see 2023-2024 and im not opposed to it

I don't know about you but... man.. after Keefe, I kind of want someone with some experience behind the bench. It doesn't have to be a tonne of experience, but a little bit for sure.
20 mai 2023 à 10 h 18
Ovchinnikov 137

office-space-boss.gif
20 mai 2023 à 19 h 25
Hakuna Matata
Im trying to understand how Armstrong can be linked to us as a potential GM candidate when hes still got a GM job with the Blues and is signed till 2026.

Did he get fired or quit and I missed it lul
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
20 mai 2023 à 19 h 28
Saskoiler for now
Rejoint: avr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 9,283
Im trying to understand how Armstrong can be linked to us as a potential GM candidate when hes still got a GM job with the Blues and is signed till 2026.

I was wondering the same.
20 mai 2023 à 19 h 37
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 20 mai 2023 à 19 h 55
Quoting: Saskleaf

Hes an interesting guy and if we look at the TDL he had seems like a perfect guy to take over

Only some of his trades, moves and extensions have been a bit odd

Leddy trade and extension
Binnington extension
Scandella trade and extension
Fabbri trade
Extending Faulk and letting Pitrangelo walk

Drafting has been on and off https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00008187.html (since 2008)

But if hes available idk sure explore.
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
20 mai 2023 à 20 h 38
hey look a squirrel
Rejoint: mai 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 3,804

Quoting: Saskleaf

I think he has an opt out clause
Saskleaf et oneX a aimé ceci.
20 mai 2023 à 20 h 54
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Trickster
I think he has an opt out clause

Really gonna need to find this out as there's been no indication he wants out of St. Louis all we know is hes been reported as an option but on the Blues front we have heard nothing lul
20 mai 2023 à 22 h 13
Démarrer sujet
Amirov Forever

Awesome, lets do a complete 180...

This offseason is going to SUCK
20 mai 2023 à 22 h 17
Rejoint: janv. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 5,343

What's really annoying about that is that after watching the Dubas presser, he clearly had a mentality shift and was going to be that guy with "bite" if he were to come back... And I'd be comfortable with him making those big decisions. Now we're in the dark about who it's going to be and from that report are already feeling the effects of not having a GM who has a good relationship with the players.
20 mai 2023 à 22 h 28
Démarrer sujet
Amirov Forever

Imagining a timeline where we go back to the Phil Kessel era of pain is something I am not ready for... We deserve better
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
20 mai 2023 à 22 h 45
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
What's really annoying about that is that after watching the Dubas presser, he clearly had a mentality shift and was going to be that guy with "bite" if he were to come back... And I'd be comfortable with him making those big decisions. Now we're in the dark about who it's going to be and from that report are already feeling the effects of not having a GM who has a good relationship with the players.

What is your confidence level that the players who have been here for years — the guys we call “the core” — can actually get this done and win a championship in this city together?

Dubas: I think that was the tone of the conversations with them today — very difficult. We all collectively need to continue to raise our level, players and staff.

The one thing I would say about this spring, as I sit here, and obviously there is a lot that will need to be cleared in the coming stretch… In terms of the goal, it remains the same, but perhaps the path needs to shift slightly. It needs to be adapted slightly.

You get in between persistence and full belief versus being a little too staunch and rigid. I think that is a question I would take the time for myself in reflecting on the year and then decide on that heading into the spring toward the draft and free agency.”

This was going to be the 1st offseason since Dubas took over that he was going to have some significant cap space to work with, not to mention he seemed willing to trade a core piece.

I can’t believe it’s over
20 mai 2023 à 22 h 52
Démarrer sujet
Amirov Forever
Quoting: MatthewsFan
What is your confidence level that the players who have been here for years — the guys we call “the core” — can actually get this done and win a championship in this city together?

Dubas: I think that was the tone of the conversations with them today — very difficult. We all collectively need to continue to raise our level, players and staff.

The one thing I would say about this spring, as I sit here, and obviously there is a lot that will need to be cleared in the coming stretch… In terms of the goal, it remains the same, but perhaps the path needs to shift slightly. It needs to be adapted slightly.

You get in between persistence and full belief versus being a little too staunch and rigid. I think that is a question I would take the time for myself in reflecting on the year and then decide on that heading into the spring toward the draft and free agency.”

This was going to be the 1st offseason since Dubas took over that he was going to have some significant cap space to work with, not to mention he seemed willing to trade a core piece.

I can’t believe it’s over

Too little too late I suppose... I'm still in awe that Kyle isn't our GM. I'm really hoping that the whole "GM with bite" quote isn't referring to some god awful hockey man, but instead someone that is willing to make hard decisions to better the team. A Kelly McCrimmon type if you will.

Call me an idiot, but I still have some faith in Shannahan to do right even after doing wrong. He's stuck around for a while and has got a few rings (as a player) to show for it. I refuse to lose all hope before we know who is brought in as a replacement. I really hope it's a promotion from within. GM Dr. Hayley Wickenheiser or GM Brandon Pridham don't sound half bad
MatthewsFan a aimé ceci.
20 mai 2023 à 22 h 55
average joe
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 102
The Leafs window for winning was while the Core 4 (well 3 of them) were on RFA contracts. This was the 2019 through 2024 period. 5 of those 6 years are gone.
Do you hope that the 6th year will be the one - with the downside that they all leave for nothing, or do you get some value for them now.
If it was Spezza or Giordano or someone who had shown some ability to make a team friendly deal, it might be worth the risk.
But for them - I would say trade them all. Maybe even retain some salary and treat the next year or two as re-tooling years.
20 mai 2023 à 23 h 0
Follow devknowspuck
Rejoint: mai 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 10,194
Quoting: Messier99
The Leafs window for winning was while the Core 4 (well 3 of them) were on RFA contracts. This was the 2019 through 2024 period. 5 of those 6 years are gone.
Do you hope that the 6th year will be the one - with the downside that they all leave for nothing, or do you get some value for them now.
If it was Spezza or Giordano or someone who had shown some ability to make a team friendly deal, it might be worth the risk.
But for them - I would say trade them all. Maybe even retain some salary and treat the next year or two as re-tooling years.

Had the pieces to be a dynasty tbh
20 mai 2023 à 23 h 0
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 20 mai 2023 à 23 h 6

Not necessarily if they bring in Armstrong or Wilson I got no issue as both guys have a solid resume. Kind of weird Armstrong's available but hey hes better than 90% of the other guys with experience out there as he built a team who won a cup

Wilson made SJS one of the most dangerous teams in the NHL up until 2019. To bad they never won but they really should have in 2016. Either way this is a guy who has a nice resume. Good late round drafter, good trades, good contracts (well besides the old guys but u get it)

But in general Shanahan has a solid track record of GM hiring's

Lou
Dubas

Next guy up being a healthy mix of experience and analytics wouldnt be bad. Tulsky is technically GM of Canes even if its not in name. Like that guys draft record 9.5/10 only thing thats a bit odd is the trade stuff. He seems to not want to make those big trades which is pretty surprising. I know the Patches trade but come on got to be stupid not to do that lul.

To me though I really would not be surprised if Pridham gets the job as if he gets Matthews to extend u cannot go hire another GM as that man just went and took a franchise altering decision and worked it for the team

Also Matthews technically cant sign before July 1 per rules
20 mai 2023 à 23 h 4
Ovchinnikov 137
Modifié 20 mai 2023 à 23 h 14
Too little too late I suppose... I'm still in awe that Kyle isn't our GM. I'm really hoping that the whole "GM with bite" quote isn't referring to some god awful hockey man, but instead someone that is willing to make hard decisions to better the team. A Kelly McCrimmon type if you will.

Call me an idiot, but I still have some faith in Shannahan to do right even after doing wrong. He's stuck around for a while and has got a few rings (as a player) to show for it. I refuse to lose all hope before we know who is brought in as a replacement. I really hope it's a promotion from within. GM Dr. Hayley Wickenheiser or GM Brandon Pridham don't sound half bad

I’ve got one foot out the door I’m not going to lie. Not afraid to admit I am one of the “sky is falling” fans right now. I truly believe we are going to look back in his firing as a WTF moment.

It’s not going to be some analytical forward thinking GM (Tulsky, Darche, Clancey, DiMaio, Staios). It’s going to be some old used GM (Treliving, gillis, Bergevin)

I have no faith in Shanny

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage