Forums/NHL

2022-23 NHL Playoff Discussion Thread #2: Ryan Suter is the biggest bird

13 mai 2023 à 0 h 3
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 20,980
Quoting: Devil
3 goals in 1:30 mins for Vegas

The dumb thing about this series is its been one sided for one team then one sided for the other

Like if VGK wins got a feeling Sunday or Monday EDM gonna dominate than its a coin toss game 7
13 mai 2023 à 0 h 7
Rejoint: déc. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 3,523
Quoting: Devil
3 goals in 1:30 mins for Vegas

Vegas is somehow wildly underrated. Either that, or everyone is just routing against them. After game 2 it was pretty much over for them. After game 4…same thing. Now, they’re 20 mins away from a 3-2 series lead.
13 mai 2023 à 0 h 13
Rejoint: juill. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 2,912
Quoting: Brian2016
Vegas is somehow wildly underrated. Either that, or everyone is just routing against them. After game 2 it was pretty much over for them. After game 4…same thing. Now, they’re 20 mins away from a 3-2 series lead.

If Vegas plays Carolina in the cup final it'll be #2 vs #5 in the league and somehow two wildly underrated teams.
Brian2016 et Steven_Stamkos a aimé ceci.
13 mai 2023 à 0 h 14
Hakuna Matata

Bruce Cassidy does that it seems lul
Brian2016 a aimé ceci.
13 mai 2023 à 0 h 37
Rejoint: déc. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 3,523
Quoting: Rangsey
If Vegas plays Carolina in the cup final it'll be #2 vs #5 in the league and somehow two wildly underrated teams.

If that's the Cup Final I'm gonna start watching pickle ball.
Saskleaf, Rangsey et Eissportclub a aimé ceci.
13 mai 2023 à 0 h 41
Hakuna Matata

I feel it would be a boring series with little scoring but would be interesting
13 mai 2023 à 0 h 52
Ban Price trades
Rejoint: oct. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 6,455
Dallas-Edmonton quantum entanglement finally breaks.

Next man to call a penalty 100 yards from the play gets two-handed by Pietrangelo.
EsoYeezus69 a aimé ceci.
13 mai 2023 à 0 h 57
Hakuna Matata
If that's the Cup Final I'm gonna start watching pickle ball.

Nah lets watch AHL playoffs lul
13 mai 2023 à 2 h 21
Rejoint: juill. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 2,912
Quoting: aadoyle
I feel it would be a boring series with little scoring but would be interesting

Any cup final we have from here out would be interesting. Just not big market interesting.
13 mai 2023 à 7 h 38
Rejoint: févr. 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 870
I think I remember Ray Ferraro saying something about this on his podcast. Given the boilermaker that is Toronto, it will be interesting to see how the media handles the conclusion of their season between now and the draft before noise starts to pick up about next season. He said something like it would be a nightmare or the dumbest thing on the planet to have a player as big as Auston Matthews, a face of the franchise and league, to be going into the final year of his contract, while playing in Toronto. He said the uncertainty of his future would create far too much noise and would just be a distraction for the team and I agree with him. But then you also have Nylander so the whole conversation elevates into "are these the finals days of the core 4?" "it's do or die for this group". I agree with Ray. Not dealing with their contracts this summer, whether it be with a trade or an extension, will be the only thing we hear about until probably the TDL in 2024, and THEN into the playoffs, their pressure to succeed will be astronomical.
13 mai 2023 à 7 h 48
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 17,387
Quoting: justaBoss
Was it a goal? Yes so it seems.

Was it a good one? Apparently not since it went against the rules.

Once again, the one thing that shouldn't be questioned is not the play, but the rulebook imo.

Eh, I don’t think the puck was ever conclusively in while the play was alive, there’s everything about did the far ref blow the whistle, how long can a play continue before it’s dead even if there’s no whistle ( the players certainly all thought the play was dead ), etc, it is a mess but they got the call right
Steven_Stamkos a aimé ceci.
13 mai 2023 à 7 h 50
Bedard23
Rejoint: mai 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 4,476

That’s the exact finals I predicted
13 mai 2023 à 7 h 51
What in tarnation
Mentions "j'aime": 31,449
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Eh, I don’t think the puck was ever conclusively in while the play was alive, there’s everything about did the far ref blow the whistle, how long can a play continue before it’s dead even if there’s no whistle ( the players certainly all thought the play was dead ), etc, it is a mess but they got the call right

True, but we know that at some point the puck did cross the line, there's even pictures about it. Timing is the key there though, hence my wording of it not being a good goal.
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
13 mai 2023 à 8 h 6
Rejoint: janv. 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 474
Modifié 13 mai 2023 à 8 h 13
Imma maybe dig a tad deeper, but if trends continue, the NHL has to adjust. My team didn’t even make the playoffs, I’m not sour grapes about anything, but I’m guessing there is an observable historic trend here:

Potential final 4 of

Dallas - no state tax
Panthers - no state tax
Nevada - no income tax, very low property tax
Carolina - low flat rate income tax

Nearly every other team: variable income tax, some above 10%.

The hard cap is not equal if the required withholdings are not equal. A state or province is a required withholding. If a player will lose a guaranteed 3-4% (or more) of their pay to one state and 0 to the other then the later team gets a 3-4% (or more) discount to the hard cap.

The hard cap should adjust team by team based on these guaranteed differences in player salary. This wouldn’t overcome the fact that the player is still eating the higher tax rate on other money making, such as marketing, sports fitness, spouse occupation, investments, real estate, or the higher property tax rates sometimes found in high tax areas.

It’s truly an unfair playing field. I’m guessing they won’t do this as owners because it inflates player pay. Another option is put all the low tax rates into one division where only one can make it to the conference finals.

Imma just be legit, if it’s the same 8 teams every year, the same 6 or so states - I’m just gonna lose interest.
13 mai 2023 à 9 h 37
What in tarnation
Quoting: CantStopWontStop
Imma maybe dig a tad deeper, but if trends continue, the NHL has to adjust. My team didn’t even make the playoffs, I’m not sour grapes about anything, but I’m guessing there is an observable historic trend here:

Potential final 4 of

Dallas - no state tax
Panthers - no state tax
Nevada - no income tax, very low property tax
Carolina - low flat rate income tax

Nearly every other team: variable income tax, some above 10%.

The hard cap is not equal if the required withholdings are not equal. A state or province is a required withholding. If a player will lose a guaranteed 3-4% (or more) of their pay to one state and 0 to the other then the later team gets a 3-4% (or more) discount to the hard cap.

The hard cap should adjust team by team based on these guaranteed differences in player salary. This wouldn’t overcome the fact that the player is still eating the higher tax rate on other money making, such as marketing, sports fitness, spouse occupation, investments, real estate, or the higher property tax rates sometimes found in high tax areas.

It’s truly an unfair playing field. I’m guessing they won’t do this as owners because it inflates player pay. Another option is put all the low tax rates into one division where only one can make it to the conference finals.

Imma just be legit, if it’s the same 8 teams every year, the same 6 or so states - I’m just gonna lose interest.

While I agree with the sentiment, NHL has no effective way to impact how the states and whatnot are taxing their residents. I just have to wonder what kind of solutions would they find, cuz it sounds endlessly complicated to have a pro-rated cap space for every team based on their franchise's location.
13 mai 2023 à 9 h 47
Rejoint: janv. 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 474
Quoting: justaBoss
While I agree with the sentiment, NHL has no effective way to impact how the states and whatnot are taxing their residents. I just have to wonder what kind of solutions would they find, cuz it sounds endlessly complicated to have a pro-rated cap space for every team based on their franchise's location.

I’d suggest the fixes include:

No more hard cap
Variable cap by team
Variable escrow for players
Realignment of divisional format

In my mind all of those options suck for a variety of reasons.

But ultimately the number of higher tax teams is greater than the lower tax ones. If this is truly a powerful trend the majority will find a way to change it into their favor.
13 mai 2023 à 10 h 8
Rejoint: févr. 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 870
Does Jordan Staal get Tkachuk, Barkov's line or Reinhart's? I'm leaning towards Tkachuk, and Aho probably get's Barkov's?
13 mai 2023 à 14 h 5
TheLeafsAbuseMe
Rejoint: août 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 659
ACGM is extra crazy today. I’m the king of Leafs pessimism but all these posts about blowing up the team are insane.
Hurricanes_WPG et capsfan2121 a aimé ceci.
13 mai 2023 à 14 h 16
Jamie Benn is BACK
Rejoint: janv. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 478
Dallas-Seattle is the only game today. Really hoping the Stars can close it out tonight.
DougieGilmour, Steven_Stamkos, BeterChiarelli and 4 others a aimé ceci.
13 mai 2023 à 16 h 9
More Finns More Wins
Rejoint: juill. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 631
Quoting: Steven_Stamkos
Does Jordan Staal get Tkachuk, Barkov's line or Reinhart's? I'm leaning towards Tkachuk, and Aho probably get's Barkov's?

I'm thinking Staal line gets the Tkachuk line to start, and I don't think they have a specific matchup for the Aho line.
Steven_Stamkos a aimé ceci.
13 mai 2023 à 16 h 10
Tintin over 1122
Mentions "j'aime": 10,166
Dear Leafs fans

Despite some amazing trades for the caps I’ve seen today we aren’t trading Wilson.

-Capsfan2121
DougieGilmour a aimé ceci.
13 mai 2023 à 20 h 20
GM CRIME DAWG
Rejoint: mars 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 2,696
FYI DAL:
22 yr old Kartye can shoot the puck MoFo's...
Steven_Stamkos et capsfan2121 a aimé ceci.
13 mai 2023 à 20 h 29
Tintin over 1122
Mentions "j'aime": 10,166
Quoting: McGruff
FYI DAL:
22 yr old Kartye can shoot the puck MoFo's...

Just watched that goal

Damn that’s a heavy shot
13 mai 2023 à 21 h 8
What in tarnation
Lindell needs to get a grip.

Hakanpää needs to get scratched.
EsoYeezus69 a aimé ceci.
13 mai 2023 à 21 h 28
GM CRIME DAWG
Rejoint: mars 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 2,696
Modifié 13 mai 2023 à 21 h 36
Quoting: capsfan2121
Just watched that goal

Damn that’s a heavy shot

Flex-city!
He's had a couple just like that...

Not quite by KART but a few Brett Hull You-Tubes are in-order...now that's FLEX!

EDIT - "Bingo" he has a Joe Sakic release!!!!!!!
capsfan2121 a aimé ceci.

To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage