Forums/Armchair-GM

Are the Leafs a serious contender

Créé par: Leafsfan98
Équipe: 2022-23 Maple Leafs de Toronto
Date de création initiale: 9 janv. 2023
Publié: 9 janv. 2023
Mode - plafond salarial: Basique
Description
I am curious now that we are pretty much half way through the season and can pretty much confirm a playoff spot for the Leafs. I want to ask the question Leaf fans have been asking themselves all year. Here are my notes from this season good and bad from each line:

Offense:
Line 1:Bunting - Matthews - Nylander
Good: That line is dominant and we can confirm Matthews can easily get into people's heads when he's on the ice. Matthews also makes the people around him better (see Nylander). Bunting has started to develop his stride again and Nylander is on pace for his best season.
Bad: Besides Matthews, the line produces no defence and can go into a slump of not being able to find the back of the net

Line 2: Jarnkrok - Tavares - Marner
Good: Dubas has found a place for Jarnkrok and Tavares doesn't look like he is slowing down. Marner is starting to be a late back checker which is good
Bad: I looked up no defence in the dictionary, I saw a picture of Mitch Marner. Tavares is also getting older which worries me due to his high cap hit.

Line 3: Kerfoot - Kampf - Engvall
Good: Normal checking line
Bad: Normal checking line

Line 4: Zack Aston-Reese - Holmberg - Hunt/Simmonds
Good: Holmberg is phenomenal and ZAR has been sneaky good. I love the Wayne Train. I don't have a full opinion on Hunt
Bad: I don't get to see Simmonds more often

Defense
Pairing 1: Morgan Rielly - Timothy Liljegren
Good: I love these 2. both are puck moving defensemen
Bad: Rielly is just coming back from an injury and Lilly is inexperienced in the playoffs

Pairing 2: Mark Giodarno - Justin Holl
Good: By far, this has looked like our best pairing
Bad: Gio is old and Holl has wandering disease sometimes

Pairing 3: Rasmus Sandin - Connor Timmins
Good: Sandin is great in a low risk situation and Timmins should get Norris votes if he continues to play like he is
Bad: Both are inexperienced and are injury prone

Paring 4: T.J. Brodie
Good: I really like Brodie
Bad: I don't know where to put him in the lineup

Goalies:
1A: Matt Murray
Good: Murray has bailed us out a bunch of times
Bad: He has 2 minutes every game where his brain shuts down which could be bad in the wrong 2 minutes

1B: Ilya Samsonov
Good: Cheap, 10 - 0 - 1 at home, bails us out sometimes
Bad: Is known to be out the gate quick and slow down tremendously as the season goes on

The question is: Do you think the Toronto Maple Leafs are a legitimate contender at the Stanley Cup? (ignore their history but the team itself)
Repêchage1e ronde2e ronde3e ronde4e ronde5e ronde6e ronde7e ronde
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de OTT
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de OTT
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
TAILLE DE LA FORMATIONPLAFOND SALARIALCAP HITEXCÉDENTS Info-bulleBONISESPACE SOUS LE PLAFOND SALARIAL
2382 500 000 $80 536 246 $212 500 $0 $1 963 754 $
Ailier gaucheCentreAilier droit
Logo de Maple Leafs de Toronto
950 000 $950 000 $
AG
UFA - 1
11 640 250 $11 640 250 $
C
UFA - 2
6 962 366 $6 962 366 $
AD
UFA - 2
2 100 000 $2 100 000 $
AD, C, AG
M-NTC
UFA - 4
11 000 000 $11 000 000 $
C, AG
NMC
UFA - 3
10 903 000 $10 903 000 $
AD
UFA - 3
3 500 000 $3 500 000 $
AG, C, AD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
2 250 000 $2 250 000 $
AD, AG
UFA - 1
840 630 $840 630 $
AG, AD
UFA - 1
1 500 000 $1 500 000 $
C
UFA - 1
900 000 $900 000 $
AD, AG
M-NTC
UFA - 1
762 500 $762 500 $
AG, AD
UFA - 1
827 500 $827 500 $
C, AG
RFA - 1
Défenseur gaucherDéfenseur droitierGardien de but
7 500 000 $7 500 000 $
DG
NMC
UFA - 8
1 400 000 $1 400 000 $
DD
RFA - 2
4 687 500 $4 687 500 $
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
800 000 $800 000 $
DG
UFA - 2
2 000 000 $2 000 000 $
DD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
1 800 000 $1 800 000 $
G
UFA - 1
1 400 000 $1 400 000 $
DG
UFA - 2
850 000 $850 000 $
DD
RFA - 1
5 000 000 $5 000 000 $
DG/DD
NTC
UFA - 2
750 000 $750 000 $
DG/DD
UFA - 1
Laissés de côtéListe des blessés (IR)Liste des blessés à long terme (LTIR)
5 625 000 $5 625 000 $
DG
NTC
UFA - 2
796 667 $796 667 $
AG, AD
RFA - 2
750 000 $750 000 $
DG/DD
UFA - 1

Code d'intégration

• Pour afficher cette équipe sur un autre site Web ou blog, ajoutez ce iFrame à la page appropriée
  • Personnalisez les dimensions dans le code IFrame ci-dessous pour adapter votre site de manière appropriée. Minimum recommandé: 400px.

Texte intégré

Cliquer pour surligner
9 janv. 2023 à 11 h 1
Rejoint: juill. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 699
Yes I’d says the 3rd overall team in the league is a legitimate cup contender
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
9 janv. 2023 à 11 h 2
Rejoint: nov. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 14,517
I'm not sure how anyone could think marner plays no defense
Rage44, SNipeSHowInc, swinny and 2 others a aimé ceci.
9 janv. 2023 à 11 h 6
Démarrer sujet
Leafs going to Leafs
Rejoint: déc. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 2,948
Quoting: SNipeSHowInc

I'm just saying with the Lightning and the Avs finding their foot, the Bruins looking dangerous and the Stars/Golden Knights not being that far behind
9 janv. 2023 à 11 h 8
Démarrer sujet
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: littlejerryseinfeld
I'm not sure how anyone could think marner plays no defense

I dare you to watch a Leafs game and focus on Marner when the puck gets turned over in the offensive zone
9 janv. 2023 à 11 h 8
Quoting: Leafsfan98
I'm just saying with the Lightning and the Avs finding their foot, the Bruins looking dangerous and the Stars/Golden Knights not being that far behind

How have the Leafs done against those teams this year? 4-1-2?
9 janv. 2023 à 11 h 14
Démarrer sujet
Leafs going to Leafs

Yes but like I said, 2 of those teams are just starting to figure it out and the Bruins are spanking teams right now. We know from experience how the Bruins/Lightning play come playoffs and I am just curious whether or not the Leafs will be able to keep up with that run and gun style of play
9 janv. 2023 à 11 h 14
Rejoint: août 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 791

There always near the top of the standings so thats pretty irrelevant. The real question is can they put it all together when it counts and get out of that first round. There's no question they have the skill and the team to compete for the cup but at this point its just as much about them not beating themselves as it is about them losing to another team. There's a good chance its a first round match up against Tampa again so its going to be a tough match up for sure.

That being said I do think they will get passed them and i think after that hurdle they will be a tough team to knock out. As much as it is fun watching them get bounced in the first round year after year, they're too strong of a team too continue falling short.
Leafsfan98 a aimé ceci.
9 janv. 2023 à 11 h 17
Yes but like I said, 2 of those teams are just starting to figure it out and the Bruins are spanking teams right now. We know from experience how the Bruins/Lightning play come playoffs and I am just curious whether or not the Leafs will be able to keep up with that run and gun style of play

Run and gun doesn’t really describe the way Tampa and Boston play in the playoffs. If the previous playoffs dating back to 2017 are any indication of they can “keep up” to those teams, the answer is yes… it goes the distance every.single.time
9 janv. 2023 à 11 h 24
Rejoint: juin 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 19,560
They will make a splash at the TDL at the very least. Dubas is fighting for his next contract (either Toronto or elsewhere) so if he can't show some results then it hurts his chances greatly
9 janv. 2023 à 11 h 27
Rejoint: oct. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 183

And the leafs are 2-3-2 against Anaheim, Arizona, SJ and Montreal. They've yet to play Chicago or Columbus to round out the bottom of the league.

To the OP, Toronto is not a serious contender, using regular season results doesn't equate being a serious contender.

They've finished regularly in the top 6-7 teams the past 5 years and have made no "serious" runs.

Toronto's defense is getting exposed more as of late, and the goaltending has been shaky, the old notion of a "3rd line = checking line" is antiquated, in the current NHL, you need 3 lines of scoring to win a cup, Tampa relied on Cirelli/Gourde/Perry/Colton, Colorado had Compher, Burakovsky and both teams relied on heavy contributions throughout the D-core.

I don't see Lil, Sandin, Gio or Holl popping up 10-ish points

I don't see Kerfoot, Kampf, Engvall popping up 10-ish points.

They're a great regular season team, but not built for the current NHL playoffs.
9 janv. 2023 à 11 h 27
Démarrer sujet
Leafs going to Leafs
Run and gun doesn’t really describe the way Tampa and Boston play in the playoffs. If the previous playoffs dating back to 2017 are any indication of they can “keep up” to those teams, the answer is yes… it goes the distance every.single.time

That is a fair point but even if you get past Tampa, you have to deal with Vasy and in Boston's case Ulmark who are playing at Vezina calmer seasons
9 janv. 2023 à 11 h 30
MisstheWhalers
Rejoint: janv. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 12,372
Yes the Leafs are a serious contender.

Not a chance Brodie isn't in the lineup over three inexperienced dmen.
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
9 janv. 2023 à 11 h 37
Démarrer sujet
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: OilersRule
And the leafs are 2-3-2 against Anaheim, Arizona, SJ and Montreal. They've yet to play Chicago or Columbus to round out the bottom of the league.

To the OP, Toronto is not a serious contender, using regular season results doesn't equate being a serious contender.

They've finished regularly in the top 6-7 teams the past 5 years and have made no "serious" runs.

Toronto's defense is getting exposed more as of late, and the goaltending has been shaky, the old notion of a "3rd line = checking line" is antiquated, in the current NHL, you need 3 lines of scoring to win a cup, Tampa relied on Cirelli/Gourde/Perry/Colton, Colorado had Compher, Burakovsky and both teams relied on heavy contributions throughout the D-core.

They're a great regular season team, but not built for the current NHL playoffs.

First, I am asking about the team, not the Toronto's history.

Second, if you look at Toronto's team and compare it to Tampa (really 4 players trying to carry the team with Kuch being hated in the DR) or Colorado (injury riddled season not in a playoff spot or Edmonton for example (no 3rd or 4rth line/no defence/ no goalie), is Toronto really the far off if Sammy or Murray or both catch heat before playoffs

Third, Toronto physically isn't as disadvantaged as you try to make it seem (average height 6'1", average weight 201 lbs with Mitch Marner and Wayne Simmonds on the team)

Obviously, you entitled to your own opinion and that's why I posted this but above is mine
9 janv. 2023 à 11 h 38
Démarrer sujet
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: MisstheWhalers
Yes the Leafs are a serious contender.

Not a chance Brodie isn't in the lineup over three inexperienced dmen.

I know he is in the lineup, I just don't know where
9 janv. 2023 à 11 h 49

Toronto’s defence hasn’t been “getting exposed as of late” they just had the worst save percentage in the league at the time while mainting the best expected goals against in the league
9 janv. 2023 à 11 h 51
Rejoint: mars 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 2,008
What is different about this team than is past years is the improved defensive play as a team. In past years, they have had a mindset of skill winning the day. Clearly that doesn't work...... Tampa won two Cups because they could all defend.

For me, they do need a top 6 LW. Although Jarnkrok has looked good there, he is so much better suited as a 3rd line option.

Having said that, Meier, Bertuzzi, Tarasenko are not the guys I am talking about. I strongly feel that Adam Henrique is that fit. Fits the current system. Can pot 50 points. Can play centre in case of injury. And with 50% retention, Leafs can use him next year and still sign Bunting.

Adding here us not about finding the 50 goal scorer. It's about finding the guy that fills that spot well and adds real depth to the team.

Tampa won 2 cups by rounding out their 3rd line. Last year I would say the Lehkonen deal was a huge move for the Avs (no disrespect to Manson).

But if we zero in in Lehkonen........ foward who plays 200 feet, and could produce 40 points. Ended up in the top 6 and had a whale of a playoff.

Tell me that doesn't sound like Henrique?
9 janv. 2023 à 12 h 21
Rejoint: mars 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 3,490
On paper, they are a contender but I also thought they were contenders in 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022.
9 janv. 2023 à 12 h 30
Démarrer sujet
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: sens65
On paper, they are a contender but I also thought they were contenders in 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022.

What about eye test this year?
sens65 a aimé ceci.
9 janv. 2023 à 12 h 58
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Rejoint: juill. 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 22,686
Let's look at the best teams in the league this.......Bruins, Leafs, Tampa,Canaes Dallas, Vegas and (and I'll include the defending Cup Avs)...
That's seven . Certainly the Leafs are in the mix as serious contenders.
Why wouldn't anybody think differently. Believe the Leafs are third in goal differencial. Either way, looks like a showdown in the first round with Tampa again.
drambui a aimé ceci.
9 janv. 2023 à 13 h 18
Rejoint: mars 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 3,490
What about eye test this year?

Definitely contenders.
9 janv. 2023 à 14 h 20
Démarrer sujet
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: palhal
Let's look at the best teams in the league this.......Bruins, Leafs, Tampa,Canaes Dallas, Vegas and (and I'll include the defending Cup Avs)...
That's seven . Certainly the Leafs are in the mix as serious contenders.
Why wouldn't anybody think differently. Believe the Leafs are third in goal differencial. Either way, looks like a showdown in the first round with Tampa again.

I prefer the Leafs in this matchup. The series last year could have gone either way and I believe Tampa got worse whereas the Leafs got better
10 janv. 2023 à 12 h 21
Rejoint: oct. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 183
First, I am asking about the team, not the Toronto's history.

Second, if you look at Toronto's team and compare it to Tampa (really 4 players trying to carry the team with Kuch being hated in the DR) or Colorado (injury riddled season not in a playoff spot or Edmonton for example (no 3rd or 4rth line/no defence/ no goalie), is Toronto really the far off if Sammy or Murray or both catch heat before playoffs

Third, Toronto physically isn't as disadvantaged as you try to make it seem (average height 6'1", average weight 201 lbs with Mitch Marner and Wayne Simmonds on the team)

Obviously, you entitled to your own opinion and that's why I posted this but above is mine

Point 1 - it's not about the history dictating the future, but the fact that historically they've been in this same position of the regular season, with a similar core roster, and were not serious contenders. So, would I consider them serious contenders? no... because they've done this all before, and to no avail.

Point 2 - any team can make a run if the Goaltending gets hot, Montreal made the finals and finished in last place a year later, so, yeah, Sammy and Murray CAN, but if i had to bet, it would be they won't.

Point 3 - I never brought up size, the big issue with Toronto is lack of depth, they have 4th liners rounding out their 3rd line, that's not a recipe for long term playoff success. Their D don't move the puck well, or contribute a reasonable amount of offense to make up for the lack of scoring punch up front beyond the top 2 lines, and even there, that LW core is not very impressive with Bunting and Engvall as their top point getters at that position.

I just don't think Toronto has the depth necessary to be a "serious" contender, serious contenders don't rely on pieces falling into place to make a run.
10 janv. 2023 à 14 h 9
Démarrer sujet
Leafs going to Leafs
Point 1 - it's not about the history dictating the future, but the fact that historically they've been in this same position of the regular season, with a similar core roster, and were not serious contenders. So, would I consider them serious contenders? no... because they've done this all before, and to no avail.

Point 2 - any team can make a run if the Goaltending gets hot, Montreal made the finals and finished in last place a year later, so, yeah, Sammy and Murray CAN, but if i had to bet, it would be they won't.

Point 3 - I never brought up size, the big issue with Toronto is lack of depth, they have 4th liners rounding out their 3rd line, that's not a recipe for long term playoff success. Their D don't move the puck well, or contribute a reasonable amount of offense to make up for the lack of scoring punch up front beyond the top 2 lines, and even there, that LW core is not very impressive with Bunting and Engvall as their top point getters at that position.

I just don't think Toronto has the depth necessary to be a "serious" contender, serious contenders don't rely on pieces falling into place to make a run.

To be fair, you're 1rst point makes sense but:

Point 2 - Sammy and Murray each have .919 save percentages with Sammy having a 2.24 GAA.To give you an idea, Vasy last season has an .919 save percentage (I am not saying Sammy is better but a recognizable comparable in save percentage), Kuemper had a .921 save pecentage on the Stanley cup winning Avs. I don't think that Sammy or Murray to to get hot for the Leafs to win.

Point 3 - I would like you to name 4rth line caliber players playing 3rd line minutes
10 janv. 2023 à 14 h 12
torontos finest
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,192
leafs are 3rd in the league. if you're 3rd in the league you're looking to go for the cup.

"BuT tHeY cAnT gEt OuT oF tHe FiRsT rOuNd". yeah, under that same logic you should stay living with your parents because you can't find a job. very dumb to assume they aren't going to try.
Leafsfan98 a aimé ceci.
10 janv. 2023 à 14 h 38
Rejoint: janv. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 371
The Leafs are contenders.
Are they favorites? no.

They've played better TEAM D this season than ever before. Their scoring is down by their standards, but there aren't many teams I would expect to outscore them in a 7 game series.
No matter what, TOR is destined to play a good team in the first round- most likely TB.
I think TOR is good enough to win & advance, but TB is @ their best in the postseason, and Vasi can steal a series.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage