SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2021-2022 NHL Offseason Discussion Thread #9 - The Demise (Revival?) of Calgary

28 juill. 2022 à 10 h 48
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 6,514
@Devil is Hughes playing in NJ this year or back to Michigan?
Devil a aimé ceci.
28 juill. 2022 à 11 h 13
Rejoint: août 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 8,968
Quoting: BuFfaLOFaN
Devil is Hughes playing in NJ this year or back to Michigan?

Jack is playing in NJ. Luke is playing in Michigan
BuFfaLOFaN et zk97 a aimé ceci.
28 juill. 2022 à 11 h 16
Speak of the Devil
Rejoint: nov. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 26,436
Devil is Hughes playing in NJ this year or back to Michigan?

Will play at Michigan for the year. Once NCAA season is over, he’ll play in NJ
BuFfaLOFaN et zk97 a aimé ceci.
28 juill. 2022 à 11 h 17
Farewell
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 5,225
This was Don Waddell's statement on the Bear extension:

"Adjusting to a new team and system can be challenging for a young defenseman. We are confident Ethan will be able to take another step in his development this season."

That is an interesting rationale for giving a guy $2.2 million dollars. (For what it's worth, I'm fine with the deal-but it's weird for a GM to basically admit an unproven player had a lousy year and then extend him anyways, albeit only for one year)
zk97 a aimé ceci.
28 juill. 2022 à 11 h 37
Ovchinnikov 137
Rejoint: avr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,982
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Guys, the Habs have acquired an island…

Robidas Island

Is this his pajama pants moment

FYwYGInWIAA5DBz?format=png&name=small
28 juill. 2022 à 11 h 55
torontos finest
Mentions "j'aime": 11,192
Quoting: PointStamkosVasilevskiy219188
This was Don Waddell's statement on the Bear extension:

"Adjusting to a new team and system can be challenging for a young defenseman. We are confident Ethan will be able to take another step in his development this season."

That is an interesting rationale for giving a guy $2.2 million dollars. (For what it's worth, I'm fine with the deal-but it's weird for a GM to basically admit an unproven player had a lousy year and then extend him anyways, albeit only for one year)

The player filed for arbitration and his QO was 2.4 million. Not sure what you expected him to say.
28 juill. 2022 à 12 h 10
Farewell
Quoting: Alfie11
Do you do this statistically or subjectively?

95% statistically, 5% subjectively (meaning, personal opinion on how a player is going to do does bleed over into it somewhat, especially with rookies, but I'm not, say, ranking Panthers lower because I hate the team or ranking Marchand lower because I can't stand him, etc.).
Alfie11 et BuFfaLOFaN a aimé ceci.
28 juill. 2022 à 12 h 18
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 17,381

You want to prove hard work is key, Habs coaching staff have it in spades
zk97, DucharmetheDOMinator, KSIxSKULLS and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
28 juill. 2022 à 12 h 35
95% statistically, 5% subjectively (meaning, personal opinion on how a player is going to do does bleed over into it somewhat, especially with rookies, but I'm not, say, ranking Panthers lower because I hate the team or ranking Marchand lower because I can't stand him, etc.).

Oh sorry I shoulda been more specific. Do you like have a formula where you plug in last year’s stats and get it to spit out a fantasy number based on how you weight the data? Or just like, take whatever yahoo says last year’s ranking was for players in your league and move a few guys up or down. I’ve generally done the latter if I even do a formal ranking, just because I’m lazy but get so tuned into fantasy that I can generally tell who the best remaining players are lol. But I have a little more time this year and was thinking about crunching some numbers, but I’m mostly not sure where to get the data from (I think you can export from hockey reference but I’m not sure?) so if you do it like that I was wondering where you get that raw data from
28 juill. 2022 à 12 h 39
Farewell
Oh sorry I shoulda been more specific. Do you like have a formula where you plug in last year’s stats and get it to spit out a fantasy number based on how you weight the data? Or just like, take whatever yahoo says last year’s ranking was for players in your league and move a few guys up or down. I’ve generally done the latter if I even do a formal ranking, just because I’m lazy but get so tuned into fantasy that I can generally tell who the best remaining players are lol. But I have a little more time this year and was thinking about crunching some numbers, but I’m mostly not sure where to get the data from (I think you can export from hockey reference but I’m not sure?) so if you do it like that I was wondering where you get that raw data from

Yep, basically (what I put in the bold font)-I check out the Yahoo rankings, combine them with my personal opinions on the players and teams, and go from there, I don't have actual projected stats (Yahoo has them once they finish their own rankings, but that's not until mid-August). Would be cool if there was an available algorithm/formula for that though.
Alfie11 a aimé ceci.
28 juill. 2022 à 12 h 51
Yep, basically (what I put in the bold font)-I check out the Yahoo rankings, combine them with my personal opinions on the players and teams, and go from there, I don't have actual projected stats (Yahoo has them once they finish their own rankings, but that's not until mid-August). Would be cool if there was an available algorithm/formula for that though.

Yeah I think that algorithm is a private thing for people who have it (and how Yahoo would come up with their rankings), and nobody really makes theirs publicly available if they come up with one unfortunately. I might start trying to make my own from scratch though over the next couple months. Would be a fun exercise to see if I can figure out a formula for that, if I can get the raw data.
28 juill. 2022 à 13 h 11
Farewell
Just realizing that the Canes D-Core next season is going to be:

Slavin-Burns
Skjei-Pesce
Gardiner-Bear/Coghlan

That's just unfair.
zk97 et yikes a aimé ceci.
28 juill. 2022 à 13 h 12

Caufield overrated af, I gave him a 4 because I was feeling generous, but his overall ranking really shoulda been in the low- to mid-3s. Mangiapane underrated, Hall overrated, Jarnkrok should have been exactly a 3, there’s literally no argument for anyone to give him any other number. The disrespect having Lucic below 2 smh, he’s still a quality 4th liner. People were calling Guentzel and Robertson underrated but I don’t think that’s really the case. I’d maybe drop Forsberg below them but everyone else deserves to be ahead of them imo, and they’re still very good. I find it intriguing how high Nichushkin was rated but I don’t disagree (I think I gave him a 5), crazy what one good statistical season+noticeable playoff run can do for a perpetually underrated player who breaks out.
BuFfaLOFaN, Devil et zk97 a aimé ceci.
28 juill. 2022 à 13 h 14
v5 Minnesota GM
Rejoint: janv. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 4,684

Caufield overrated af, I gave him a 4 because I was feeling generous, but his overall ranking really shoulda been in the low- to mid-3s. Mangiapane underrated, Hall overrated, Jarnkrok should have been exactly a 3, there’s literally no argument for anyone to give him any other number. The disrespect having Lucic below 2 smh, he’s still a quality 4th liner. People were calling Guentzel and Robertson underrated but I don’t think that’s really the case. I’d maybe drop Forsberg below them but everyone else deserves to be ahead of them imo, and they’re still very good. I find it intriguing how high Nichushkin was rated but I don’t disagree (I think I gave him a 5), crazy what one good statistical season+noticeable playoff run can do for a perpetually underrated player who breaks out.

Caufield is right where he should be
28 juill. 2022 à 13 h 24
Speak of the Devil
Rejoint: nov. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 26,436
Quoting: DucharmetheDOMinator

He's too high
BuFfaLOFaN, zk97, A_Habs_fan and 2 others a aimé ceci.
28 juill. 2022 à 13 h 31
Mentions "j'aime": 6,514

Skinner is underrated on this list. His contract being slightly 2 much drops his perception so much. I vote him a 5/7 he was one of the best wingers at even strength last year. Sandwiched between McDavid(30th) and Pastrnak(32nd) for points per 60 at even strength, minimum 30 games played. 12th among LW's.

Also if Caufield is 25th, Boldy shouldn't be 39th.

Huberdeau beat Tkachuk.
Alfie11 et Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
28 juill. 2022 à 13 h 31
Quoting: DucharmetheDOMinator

No he’s right where he should be in a couple years if his development goes well. He’s not there yet lmao
BuFfaLOFaN et Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
28 juill. 2022 à 13 h 39
Skinner is underrated on this list. His contract being slightly 2 much drops his perception so much. I vote him a 5/7 he was one of the best wingers at even strength last year. Sandwiched between McDavid(30th) and Pastrnak(32nd) for points per 60 at even strength, minimum 30 games played. 12th among LW's.

Also if Caufield is 25th, Boldy shouldn't be 39th.

Huberdeau beat Tkachuk.

I’d agree on Skinner, I’m not sold he’s a bona fide top line guy (especially because he’s one of those guys that goes year on year off) but he could be a little higher, he’s a good 2nd liner at minimum. That also drew my eye to Lehkonen, who I think is overrated too, he’s a 3rd liner, not a nearly 2nd liner. And yeah Boldy is better than Caufield right now, Boldy could afford to be a touch higher (I think he’s a definite 2nd liner at minimum already), and Caufield should be below him. I’d take Tkachuk over Huberdeau, but Huby has more skill and gets more points so that’s not surprising.
BuFfaLOFaN a aimé ceci.
28 juill. 2022 à 13 h 54
v5 CBJ GM
Rejoint: févr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 8,570

im VERY high on caufield, and though he did catch fire near the end of the season with MSL (23 goals for him on the season which isnt too shabby) but he shouldnt be above guys like mangiapane, kempe, bunting, etc. just yet.
maybe in five years sure but not today
Alfie11, Devil, A_Habs_fan and 2 others a aimé ceci.
28 juill. 2022 à 13 h 58
Quoting: Zuki9797
im VERY high on caufield, and though he did catch fire near the end of the season with MSL (23 goals for him on the season which isnt too shabby) but he shouldnt be above guys like mangiapane, kempe, bunting, etc. just yet.
maybe in five years sure but not today

Yeah this isn’t an upside ranking lol, it’s where they are today. And Caufield produced like a mid-tier 2nd liner imo
zk97 a aimé ceci.
28 juill. 2022 à 13 h 59
Farewell
Feel like Stastny would be a great fit on the Wild. Rodrigues, Dahlen, Motte and Milano are also possible options.

28 juill. 2022 à 14 h 2
v5 Minnesota GM
Rejoint: janv. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 4,684
Kadri - COL : 1 year 8mil

Milano- TOR: 3 years 1,25m

Rodrigues- MIN - 2 years 1,5m

Stastny- ANA - 4m × 1
csick, BuFfaLOFaN et Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
28 juill. 2022 à 14 h 30
Rejoint: août 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 12,096

Verhaeghe and Vrana should be much higher
28 juill. 2022 à 14 h 33
Ex Nucks fan
Rejoint: juin 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 17,624
Quoting: Db1899
Verhaeghe and Vrana should be much higher

This is a fan survey. I’m couldn’t care less about the list because it just goes to show how little the average fan actually knows about hockey
28 juill. 2022 à 14 h 34
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 17,381
Quoting: Juiceman
This is a fan survey. I’m couldn’t care less about the list because it just goes to show how little the average fan actually knows about hockey

Shows their biases, everyone has different opinions and that’s perfectly normal
zk97, Juiceman et EsoYeezus69 a aimé ceci.

To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage