SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Montreal Canadiens signed Lane Hutson (3 Years / $1,333,333 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
Le graphique a été masqué

Options de sondage

12 avr. à 16 h 14
ht42
Rejoint: avr. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 693
Quoting: Boutch
I see him playing with Harris too

I more seeing him with David Savard
habitantlecolon a aimé ceci.
12 avr. à 16 h 15
Rejoint: déc. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 27
Quoting: Leafsfan98
Atta be M. Positive... It's not like Hutson is MTL's best prospect or anything and the fan was just excited they got him signed...

Please look the message I answered to. The guy was saying to sign Tuch. My comments were about Tuch
12 avr. à 16 h 35
Jay27
Rejoint: févr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 1,104
Quoting: Blazingbat11
Never said anything about expecting him to light it up right out of the gate. Don't put words in other people's mouths (metaphorically speaking).

I'm saying Matheson is, and has always been, a placeholder for PP1. With or without Hutson around. Hutson is just the first player who can realistically contest Matheson's claim to PP1. So I say give 20-year-old Hutson the opportunity to showcase his talents with MTLs best players. and Let 30-year-old Matheson be the one to "fix" PP2, where he is much better suited for.

Again, grand schemes of things. PP1 should be:

Caufield - Dach - Salfkovsky
Suzuki - Hutson

PP2 should have something like:
Roy - Newhook - (someone)
Matheson - Xhekaj/Mailloux/Reinbacher

Dude I wasn’t putting words in your mouth. The first part of my comment was towards you and the second part was a comment towards the media. I even made them two separate paragraphs so you hopefully wouldn’t mistake my meaning.
I meant no offense, just trying to temper my fellow Hab fans’ expectations.

I assume St.Louis will start him out with a partner who can handle himself and play him mostly sheltered minutes, maybe give him some looks on the PP and that’s cool with me. Earn your stripes young man.
12 avr. à 16 h 38
Jay27
Quoting: ht42
I more seeing him with David Savard

Maybe but Savard plays some tough minutes I see St.Louis starting him out with more sheltered shifts. I was thinking maybe Kovacevic myself.
12 avr. à 16 h 48
ht42
Rejoint: avr. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 693
Quoting: Jay27
Maybe but Savard plays some tough minutes I see St.Louis starting him out with more sheltered shifts. I was thinking maybe Kovacevic myself.

I see him in person, he played like 30 min and I think that he maked a full 5 min shift on the PP...........
12 avr. à 16 h 51
Rejoint: févr. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 2,509
By finally having a solid PP2 unit meaning Matheson will be on it and Hutson being on PP1, I'm all for it!!!

I'm not taking away how good Matheson and his 60 point season has been. But in the grand scheme of things, Matheson has always been a placeholder for PP1 because there was literally no other solid option. Let's see what Hutson can do with Caufield, Slaf, etc. I could care less about our current PP2 with Gallagher and Anderson...

placeholder? the guy is top 10 in point for dmen!
12 avr. à 16 h 54
Leafs going to Leafs
Rejoint: déc. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 2,999
Quoting: Rideordie
Please look the message I answered to. The guy was saying to sign Tuch. My comments were about Tuch

Same thing applies to a different prospect (minus the being the best in the org part...)
12 avr. à 17 h 1
ARAB05
Rejoint: mai 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 440
Quoting: drambui
never heard of him.

*Her
12 avr. à 17 h 5
Jay27
Quoting: ht42
I see him in person, he played like 30 min and I think that he maked a full 5 min shift on the PP...........

But that was in college hockey.
Think about it, yeah I believe he’ll get to play at least one of the back-backs to finish the season but he’ll have to learn the system, get comfortable with his defensive partner and then go out and play against seasoned vets…by either Monday or Tuesday. I’d be very surprised if St.Louis threw him to the wolves to finish out the season.
12 avr. à 17 h 30
Rejoint: avr. 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 1,236
Small undersized defensemen... I'm skeptical
12 avr. à 18 h 9
Molson beer is meh
Rejoint: janv. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 1,775
Quoting: drambui
placeholder? the guy is top 10 in point for dmen!

and that's excellent! I'll repeat... In the grand scheme of things (ie looking into the future) 30 year old Matheson was never considered to be the Habs PP1 guy. Not when Hughes acquired him (at age 28), and not now. Hence being a placeholder.

and let's called a spade a spade here (whatever that metaphor is), Matheson is 10th in scoring for Dmen because he plays over 70% of all the Habs PP time (which is 7th worst in the NHL), and is 3rd in the entire NHL for average time on ice... Put Matheson on any current contending team, and he obviously would not be putting up the same production or ice-time. All this should reinforce my point that if MTL want to be a contending team, Matheson shouldn't be their PP1 quarterback, nor should he be their leader in ice-time.
And this isn't to take anything away from Matheson! He's been great for MTL. Both offensively and defensively. But ideally (if MTL can be a contending team) you want him running the Habs PP2, and at most on MTLs 2nd defensive pairing (3rd or 4th most used dman for ice time).

And to tie everything together, this isn't to say to rush Hutson. I'm all for MTL taking their time with him. But inserting him directly on PP1 would not be rushing him in the slightest, simply giving him the best opportunity to succeed. Hutson will be getting sheltered minutes at 5v5 for quite a while until he can get used to the pro game / speed. And as others have mentioned, pairing him with Savard is the absolute best choice.
Habs_22_14_20 a aimé ceci.
12 avr. à 18 h 32
Rejoint: nov. 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 94
Never said anything about expecting him to light it up right out of the gate. Don't put words in other people's mouths (metaphorically speaking).

I'm saying Matheson is, and has always been, a placeholder for PP1. With or without Hutson around. Hutson is just the first player who can realistically contest Matheson's claim to PP1. So I say give 20-year-old Hutson the opportunity to showcase his talents with MTLs best players. and Let 30-year-old Matheson be the one to "fix" PP2, where he is much better suited for.

Again, grand schemes of things. PP1 should be:

Caufield - Dach - Salfkovsky
Suzuki - Hutson

PP2 should have something like:
Roy - Newhook - (someone)
Matheson - Xhekaj/Mailloux/Reinbacher

Yes. Lets move a 60 pt top scoring dman in the league off the 1st pp for a kid that has never played an NHL game. True Hab fan logic.
drambui a aimé ceci.
12 avr. à 18 h 43
McMann Season
Rejoint: mars 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 960
Hutson looks like one of the best players in his draft class, gonna be scary having him in the ATL division
12 avr. à 19 h 21
Molson beer is meh
Quoting: SLAFSQUATCH
Yes. Lets move a 60 pt top scoring dman in the league off the 1st pp for a kid that has never played an NHL game. True Hab fan logic.

See my reply to drambui.

Jesus people, I’m simply saying that for MTL to be a contender, Matheson shouldn’t be their PP1 quarterback… is that really that outlandish a thing to say?! Or a some of my fellow Habs fans gotten used to / and are content with mediocrity…

Testing out MTLs best prospect on their PP1, while fully sheltering him at 5v5, would not be rushing him… and is probably what’s best to try for the Habs long term success.
Habs_22_14_20 a aimé ceci.
12 avr. à 19 h 22
Rejoint: févr. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 2,509
and that's excellent! I'll repeat... In the grand scheme of things (ie looking into the future) 30 year old Matheson was never considered to be the Habs PP1 guy. Not when Hughes acquired him (at age 28), and not now. Hence being a placeholder.

and let's called a spade a spade here (whatever that metaphor is), Matheson is 10th in scoring for Dmen because he plays over 70% of all the Habs PP time (which is 7th worst in the NHL), and is 3rd in the entire NHL for average time on ice... Put Matheson on any current contending team, and he obviously would not be putting up the same production or ice-time. All this should reinforce my point that if MTL want to be a contending team, Matheson shouldn't be their PP1 quarterback, nor should he be their leader in ice-time.
And this isn't to take anything away from Matheson! He's been great for MTL. Both offensively and defensively. But ideally (if MTL can be a contending team) you want him running the Habs PP2, and at most on MTLs 2nd defensive pairing (3rd or 4th most used dman for ice time).

And to tie everything together, this isn't to say to rush Hutson. I'm all for MTL taking their time with him. But inserting him directly on PP1 would not be rushing him in the slightest, simply giving him the best opportunity to succeed. Hutson will be getting sheltered minutes at 5v5 for quite a while until he can get used to the pro game / speed. And as others have mentioned, pairing him with Savard is the absolute best choice.

What do you mean he is not considered the habs #1 PP guy. Of course he is, you provided the stats right after to prove it! I have no idea why you are saying that.

You can mean that he is not in the longterm plans, but he is obviously in the short terms!

and your arguments are unfair towards Matheson. pout our whole powerplay on a cup contending team like colorado, they would all get second PP time and put way less points. Cant just target Matheson.

It is VERY unlikel you would put rookie huston and he would perform better than Matheson. You have to ease the guy into it. Ncca is very different and he needs to put on some muscle and time to adapts. sure he can play a few games this year, but he needs to adapt to the speed of the game. He'll get Pp1 time when he is ready, Matheson has exceeded every expectation of him so far.
SLAFSQUATCH a aimé ceci.
12 avr. à 19 h 33
More Finns More Wins
Rejoint: juill. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 631

They're eliminated from the playoffs, what do they have to lose trying their (hopefully) future PP quarterback on their top powerplay with their current unit. If they were going to the playoffs I'd agree with you but down the stretch of a lost season is exactly why you'd put an inexperienced 20-year-old on PP1.
Blazingbat11 a aimé ceci.
12 avr. à 19 h 38
Quoting: Hurricanes_WPG
They're eliminated from the playoffs, what do they have to lose trying their (hopefully) future PP quarterback on their top powerplay with their current unit. If they were going to the playoffs I'd agree with you but down the stretch of a lost season is exactly why you'd put an inexperienced 20-year-old on PP1.

It's Matheson's job to lose. And Hutson's position to earn. Period.
KSIxSKULLS, corson, habitantlecolon and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
12 avr. à 19 h 40
WentWughes
Rejoint: nov. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 10,275

Matheson is one of the best players in the league at what he does. I don't see Hutson outplaying that for a long time. We might even be one of those teams with 2 defenders on our #1 PP
jpsnow13 a aimé ceci.
12 avr. à 19 h 41
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
Matheson is one of the best players in the league at what he does. I don't see Hutson outplaying that for a long time. We might even be one of those teams with 2 defenders on our #1 PP

Who knows. I just don't get the Matheson hate. Like he's MAB or something.
KSIxSKULLS et drambui a aimé ceci.
12 avr. à 19 h 45
WentWughes
Who knows. I just don't get the Matheson hate. Like he's MAB or something.

I believe Hutson is going to have a hard time adjusting to the physical side of the NHL. Might not be as easy as some people think. He'll need longer than most.
SLAFSQUATCH a aimé ceci.
12 avr. à 20 h 6
I believe Hutson is going to have a hard time adjusting to the physical side of the NHL. Might not be as easy as some people think. He'll need longer than most.

Yep. He needs to just live with Franky Bouillion. 1 year. See him again pre-season 25-26.
KSIxSKULLS a aimé ceci.
12 avr. à 20 h 7
WentWughes
Yep. He needs to just live with Franky Bouillion. 1 year. See him again pre-season 25-26.

Yeah, he's 160 LBS. He's needs to figure out how to put on weight without losing his speed.
SLAFSQUATCH et drambui a aimé ceci.
12 avr. à 20 h 14
Molson beer is meh

Habs have the 7th worst PP this year in the NHL… as far as I’m concerned, MSL can juggle the entire unit.

I do agree that having 2 dman could be a good solution. Burrows would have to change his entire PP structure (which I’m completely fine with lol) and a forward still needs to come out.
Take out Newhook, move Slaf to bumper position? Maybe… 🤔
KSIxSKULLS a aimé ceci.
12 avr. à 20 h 43
Habs have the 7th worst PP this year in the NHL… as far as I’m concerned, MSL can juggle the entire unit.

I do agree that having 2 dman could be a good solution. Burrows would have to change his entire PP structure (which I’m completely fine with lol) and a forward still needs to come out.
Take out Newhook, move Slaf to bumper position? Maybe… 🤔

Hughes is def going to add another top 6 option at the draft. So they'll def have a more complete top 6 with a more efficient PP. Up to Roy, Newhook, RHP to battle and fill it out. Regardless. Imo Hutson shouldn't see NHL time at all next year. But, we'll see!
drambui a aimé ceci.
12 avr. à 23 h 6
Molson beer is meh
@drambui @SLAFSQUATCH @Jay27

The guys hit the nail on the head at 12:36 of the video. Keep Hutson AWAY from the current PP2, it’s a disaster unit, and would only set Hutson up for failure. Insert him on PP1.

https://youtu.be/X4pifCD6BqY?si=OXWCePHMZChJrtyg

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Chargement de l'animation
Soumettre les modifications du sondage