SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Leafs 2023 2024 Season Discussion Part 6 - Nearly Playoffs

14 avr. à 14 h 56
Démarrer sujet
Amirov Forever
Rejoint: mars 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 6,078
So the Leafs sign 2016 6th round pick Nicolas Mattinen to a 1 year contract. Pretty awesome to see them circle back. Unsurprisingly, he is a 6'6 defenseman (but this time he's right handed). Was an absolute killer in the DEL this year. Awesome to see!

Also a former London Knight. I vaguely remember watching him back in his draft year, pretty physical guy. I like it a lot
14 avr. à 14 h 58
Just Keep Swimming
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 5,649
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
So the Leafs sign 2016 6th round pick Nicolas Mattinen to a 1 year contract. Pretty awesome to see them circle back. Unsurprisingly, he is a 6'6 defenseman (but this time he's right handed). Was an absolute killer in the DEL this year. Awesome to see!

Also a former London Knight. I vaguely remember watching him back in his draft year, pretty physical guy. I like it a lot

Bring back the large adult sons!
NorthernLeafsFan05 a aimé ceci.
14 avr. à 15 h 49
Go leafs go
Rejoint: avr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 9,209
Quoting: palhal
Again we get to who are the best six Dmen from game to game
Thought Reilly and Liljegren looked good, Heck I almost want Edmundson, Timmins and Giordano to play game one.
Interesting move by Keefe to keep Samsonov in the game after the first period. Good move as maybe Samsonov got as confidence back.
But between the inconsistent goaltending, defensive play and penalty killing, I don't see how the Leafs can win a series. (if I was betting man)

Maybe I’m going insane (the definition of insanity, doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result), but I honestly think they should win in round one, let’s not forget the panthers have been slumping.

But I don’t see them making the finals lol
14 avr. à 16 h 35
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 21,019

Marner's former teammate

Reunions are fun
14 avr. à 16 h 51
Hakuna Matata
Thought Reilly and Liljegren looked good, Heck I almost want Edmundson, Timmins and Giordano to play game one.
Interesting move by Keefe to keep Samsonov in the game after the first period. Good move as maybe Samsonov got as confidence back.
But between the inconsistent goaltending, defensive play and penalty killing, I don't see how the Leafs can win a series. (if I was betting man)

I liked keeping Sammy in as it seems that after what ever that first period was he and the team for the final 39 mins had it together

The 6 Dman is gonna be interesting but rn I would say

Rielly-Boosh
Edmundson-Liligren
Benoit/Gio-McCabe

Cause man idk if u want Brodie going against FLA as their forcheck to me is gonna **** em over
14 avr. à 17 h 39
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Rejoint: juill. 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 22,771
Quoting: RipNasty
I never expected him to fall off the cliff as bad as he has but yeah I thought he was a guy we should move on from. Not because he was bad back then (turns out he's awialy iaful now) but because he just wasn't the right fit anymore. Fast forward a bit and he's straight up trash.

His M NTC made his a tough trade last summer. But man, he has really hit the wall this summer. Poor skating, and because he can't skate like an NHLer his decision making is rushed and poor.
One reason I believe signing players especially Dmen to contracts that take them to their mid thirties is unwise. The wall can come suddenly.
RipNasty a aimé ceci.
14 avr. à 18 h 46
Rejoint: janv. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 5,289
Can sites please come to a consensus on how tall Nicolas Mattinen is?
14 avr. à 19 h 48
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
Can sites please come to a consensus on how tall Nicolas Mattinen is?

Yea thats been the big huh for me

AHL = 6'5
CapFriendly = 6'4
Elite Prospects = 6'6
HockeyDB = 6'5
CHL = 6'5
UOttawa = 6'5

So I think 6'5 is fair
14 avr. à 21 h 7
Rip
Rejoint: déc. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 3,068
His M NTC made his a tough trade last summer. But man, he has really hit the wall this summer. Poor skating, and because he can't skate like an NHLer his decision making is rushed and poor.
One reason I believe signing players especially Dmen to contracts that take them to their mid thirties is unwise. The wall can come suddenly.

Yup and I have no faith that Treliving is going to make good decisions on that
palhal a aimé ceci.
14 avr. à 21 h 20
Rip
Quoting: aadoyle
I liked keeping Sammy in as it seems that after what ever that first period was he and the team for the final 39 mins had it together

The 6 Dman is gonna be interesting but rn I would say

Rielly-Boosh
Edmundson-Liligren
Benoit/Gio-McCabe

Cause man idk if u want Brodie going against FLA as their forcheck to me is gonna **** em over

This is what you are going to get with Sammy, inconsistent play. How well will it go for us if Sammy struggles in a period vs Florida and we are down 4-1? Battling back against Detroit is not the same thing as Florida. You can't afford these loss of focus moments you get with Sammy. That 4th goal is why I favor Woll so much. I get the allure of his acrobatic saves Sammy makes, it's exciting but when he has his inevitable lapse of focus or just gets a little unsettled it costs you so much. Woll when he's healthy and in mid season form, which I think he's closer to than anyone wants to believe, he just is so settled and poised. He may not be able to make the highlight real saves Sammy does (he certainly can and has done so, just not as frequent) but he makes harder saves look easier back being so square and big in the net. I would take that 100% of the time.

If Sammy ever figured it all out and never had a mental lapse again, he'd be an unreal goalie. But to think he has at this stage of his career is delusional. Case in point his last 2 starts. This is inevitable with Sammy. When does it happen next? It's going to, we don't know but it will happen. And then is it a bad period? Game? Months? We have seen any an all of these time frames. Giving him the keys is just wreckless.
palhal a aimé ceci.
14 avr. à 22 h 57
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Rejoint: juill. 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 22,771
Quoting: RipNasty
Yup and I have no faith that Treliving is going to make good decisions on that

Yeah, I wouldn't mind players like Tanev, DeMelo, Walker, Roy, Pesce. on short term contracts, but so many fans think they are worth of six years? C'mon their effectiveness to their contract is probably three years max. Unfortunately, Dubas thought it was such a good idea to trade so many futures for one playoff round win. Then it same routine every year, the Leafs just gotta scramble to find aging UFAs during the summer. By his record in Calgary, I never understood why MLSE thought he was a good hire. But it seems to be a Leaf trend this century, look at the list of GMs, medicore at best.
15 avr. à 0 h 52
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 15 avr. à 1 h 8
Yeah, I wouldn't mind players like Tanev, DeMelo, Walker, Roy, Pesce. on short term contracts, but so many fans think they are worth of six years? C'mon their effectiveness to their contract is probably three years max. Unfortunately, Dubas thought it was such a good idea to trade so many futures for one playoff round win. Then it same routine every year, the Leafs just gotta scramble to find aging UFAs during the summer. By his record in Calgary, I never understood why MLSE thought he was a good hire. But it seems to be a Leaf trend this century, look at the list of GMs, medicore at best.

I mean to get these guys to come sometimes u need to give to much term/money

Brodie was fine till the final year and then he really fell off. It wasnt just a slip nah this man just jumped off the edge lul

If we bring in Roy on a 6 year hopefully they have a cup or two by year 4 of that deal when things go south
15 avr. à 1 h 10
Just Keep Swimming
Yanno its not really important or anything, but I just needed to announce to the world that I am officially the back-to-back-to-back champion in my fantasy hockey league. 3-peat boys!

That is all - thanks for your time
Leafsfan98, NorthernLeafsFan05, Trickster and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
15 avr. à 1 h 17
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Saskleaf
Maybe I’m going insane (the definition of insanity, doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result), but I honestly think they should win in round one, let’s not forget the panthers have been slumping.

But I don’t see them making the finals lol

Cinderella may finally bless the team that has the least expectations this year
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
15 avr. à 7 h 37
Rip

I think any GM needs to send out futures to improve the immediate when you are a contender. Unfortunately it didn't work out. Had he not made any moves the mob would have went nuts.
15 avr. à 9 h 2
Leafs going to Leafs
Mentions "j'aime": 2,999

I wouldn't mind:
Rielly-Lilly
Eddy-McCabe
Benoit-Libby
Gio

Or:
Rielly-Libby
Eddy-Lilly
Benoit-McCabe
Gio

As for the Leafs winning a playoff series... They've got to rattle Florida by being actual tough guys... As unlikely as it is, throw out 4/5 core 5 along with Reaves or Bert and have them do a line brawl to start the game/ have multiple of the core 5 square up during the game... That won't happen but if it did, it would rattle Florida and you may lose game 1, but games' 2,3,4, etc. would be the Leafs'
15 avr. à 12 h 23
hey look a squirrel
Rejoint: mai 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 3,756
Modifié 15 avr. à 16 h 20
Quoting: Random2152
Yanno its not really important or anything, but I just needed to announce to the world that I am officially the back-to-back-to-back champion in my fantasy hockey league. 3-peat boys!

I was running away with it 2 leagues.
Won one and the other my core players went unplanned that hurt me too much to overcome.

Congratulations though.
Random2152 et Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
15 avr. à 13 h 25
Go leafs go
Rejoint: avr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 9,209
Quoting: Random2152

Quoting: Trickster
I was running away with in 2 leagues.
Won one and the other my core players went unplanned that hurt me too much to overcome.

Congratulations though.

I got the most points in the cap friendly league for but still missed the playoffs lol 🤦‍♂️

After that I just gave up updating my team lol
Trickster a aimé ceci.
15 avr. à 15 h 46
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: Saskleaf
I got the most points in the cap friendly league for but still missed the playoffs lol 🤦‍♂️

After that I just gave up updating my team lol

Yeah i spent the last 2 years humiliating my league so they all wanted me dead. They nearly got it too. I barely snuck in as the 4 seed, needing to win 2 tie breakers just to get that.

6th place got 13 wins, 1st got 15. Just stupid close.
All that just to destroy the 1 seed and now the 3 seed in the finals lmao
Trickster et Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
15 avr. à 17 h 46
Hakuna Matata
Man the injuries are piling up at the wrong time is not what we need rn lul

Domi
Edmundson
McCabe
McMann
Jarnkrok

FUN

The Nylander stuff also being mentioned not concerned with as he should wake up come playoffs but having not 100% guys in key parts of the lineup against FLA is gonna make things rough
16 avr. à 9 h 56
Leafs going to Leafs
If Matthews plays today, which I would play him, his line mates are Reaves and Bert... When he gets 70, he's game is done and you have Reaves tell them that every hit Matthews receives is 2 more crosschecks that a random top 6 player on Florida will receive... And a Tkachuk-Reaves fight will happen
16 avr. à 11 h 10
Démarrer sujet
Amirov Forever
Rejoint: mars 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 6,078
At this point, I think it's a certainty that Bertuzzi won't be extended by the Leafs due to cap restraints. If we want a cheaper option to fill that same nice, I'd strongly pursue Warren Foegele
16 avr. à 11 h 54
Leafs going to Leafs
At this point, I think it's a certainty that Bertuzzi won't be extended by the Leafs due to cap restraints. If we want a cheaper option to fill that same nice, I'd strongly pursue Warren Foegele

I'd do whatever I could to extend Bert and Domi long term... Under 6 of course but both have been so good once they've settled in... And it allows the Leafs to go 3 lines...

I'd go and sign one of Pesce/Roy, Domi, Bert, a 3G, trade Jarny/Timmins and sign Eddy...
16 avr. à 13 h 28
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Leafsfan98
I'd do whatever I could to extend Bert and Domi long term... Under 6 of course but both have been so good once they've settled in... And it allows the Leafs to go 3 lines...

I'd go and sign one of Pesce/Roy, Domi, Bert, a 3G, trade Jarny/Timmins and sign Eddy...

There really isnt much we can do

TOR does not have the cap to bring both back and improve this Dcore even if they move Jarnkrok and Timmins money just gets to tight to bring two good RD and extend Liligren to a proper realistic deal
16 avr. à 13 h 37
Hakuna Matata
This OS the goal should be fixing the Dcore

Like what Van did add 2-3 good bodies that can help

Roy and Demelo for instance.

To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage