SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2023-2024 NHL Discussion Thread #5: The Final Stretch

10 avr. à 1 h 0
Rejoint: juin 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 960
Should Coyotes offersheet Brannstrom?
They need young D; he wants an opportunity to play.
He doesn't cost much but Sens will be approaching cap issues depending upon Pinto and RHD UFA situations. AZ has plenty of picks and cap space to leverage.
Brannstrom is not a priority for them but AZ is a good spot to reset; so I think the likelihood of him signing is pretty good (from the outside).
2 x $2.145 would cost a 3rd rounder

Maveric Lamoureux probably won't be ready for NHL action next year either but it shouldn't impact the left side
10 avr. à 1 h 9
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 21,002
Modifié 10 avr. à 14 h 1
Quoting: HockeyScotty
Should Coyotes offersheet Brannstrom?
They need young D; he wants an opportunity to play.
He doesn't cost much but Sens will be approaching cap issues depending upon Pinto and RHD UFA situations. AZ has plenty of picks and cap space to leverage.
Brannstrom is not a priority for them but AZ is a good spot to reset; so I think the likelihood of him signing is pretty good (from the outside).
2 x $2.145 would cost a 3rd rounder

Maveric Lamoureux probably won't be ready for NHL action next year either but it shouldn't impact the left side

No it would be a waste

Probs could be had for cheap lets be real so real need to OS

But yea OS be dying. Last one that was given was out of revenge and for Carolina they probs regretting it now as KK's been disappointing.
10 avr. à 1 h 31
Hakuna Matata
With the reports on Necas and the Canes a team who should call and make an offer is Chicago

They are rumoured to this summer plan to go aggressive for help to build around Bedard well they have the assets to get him and space for a long term deal

Hall-Bedard-Necas would be a pretty nice top line to
10 avr. à 8 h 11
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 17,394
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
Is there anybody in the league who is as unlucky as Mason Shaw?

Josh Anderson kinda, he's been extremely bad, but also extremely unlucky
10 avr. à 8 h 34
Leafs going to Leafs
Rejoint: déc. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 2,977
Quoting: aadoyle
He will be top 5 in votes but because he's not a main PKer wont be top 3

He should be top 3... When other candidates are calling for your nomination, you must be doing something right
10 avr. à 8 h 50
Rejoint: janv. 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 476
Modifié 10 avr. à 9 h 25
Charlie coyle for selke please.

Over 60% d zone starts all year. 200 minutes pk icetime.

1G/60, close to 2A/60. (Both career highs).

Kinda almost doubled his career hits best season.

Plays like every important defensive minute he could for a team who lost 1 1/2 centers (Bergeron, krejci sorta) and has been a playoff lock all season.

Charlie Coyle is the definition of the best defensive forward in the nhl.

I like guys like Auston Matthews playing 200ft - is winning hockey.

But guys like him simply do not get the challenging defensive icetime a skater like coyle gets. Skaters used for heavy offense don’t get the d icetime to earn the award. Maybe that’s unfair, but I bet Charlie coyle would score a bunch more, have a bunch of inflated stats, if he was at 60+ ozone starts, more pp time, rest during opposing teams push. Coyle should be recognized with a nomination at least, last year was a tragedy, as he was asked to set the table for his aging top line, set nhl regular season points record with him at 70% dzone draws.

I’d personally vote:

Marner (to win, because he is the best all things considered 200 foot forward and it overcomes his slightly offensive usage bias, and maybe that bias exists because of him creating ozone draws), Coyle, then I think you could give nominations to Barkov, Kopitar, Lowry, maybe even like Jamie Benn, Robert Thomas, nick suzuki, Nico hieschier.

I wouldn’t personally vote Crosby or Matthews even tho they’re goats, they just don’t get the job the others get, and they have their own categories of awards to win. Even if they’re both better at being a 200 foot forward than the award winner.

I’m probs missing somebody obvious it’s early.
10 avr. à 10 h 4
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: CantStopWontStop

I like guys like Auston Matthews playing 200ft - is winning hockey.

But guys like him simply do not get the challenging defensive icetime a skater like coyle gets. Skaters used for heavy offense don’t get the d icetime to earn the award. Maybe that’s unfair, but I bet Charlie coyle would score a bunch more, have a bunch of inflated stats, if he was at 60+ ozone starts, more pp time, rest during opposing teams push. Coyle should be recognized with a nomination at least, last year was a tragedy, as he was asked to set the table for his aging top line, set nhl regular season points record with him at 70% dzone draws.

I wouldn’t personally vote Crosby or Matthews even tho they’re goats, they just don’t get the job the others get, and they have their own categories of awards to win. Even if they’re both better at being a 200 foot forward than the award winner.

I’m probs missing somebody obvious it’s early.

Matthews, up until the Leafs clinched and Matthews hit 64 goals, has been line matched with the first line which I think is impressive... Because he's able to keep in the opposing team's top line in their defensive zone bc of his puck recoveries... Matthews regularly faces top talent bc the Leafs' lack of a shutdown line

Coyle deserves his praises too IMO... Just think that narrative about Matthews not getting the hard minutes (up until recently, at least), isn't true...
CantStopWontStop a aimé ceci.
10 avr. à 12 h 2
Démarrer sujet
Amirov Forever
Rejoint: mars 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 6,069
Seravalli is reporting that the league has a contingency plan in place for the Coyotes next season should they lose the bid for their arena.

There are 2 schedules being drafted, one that revolves around the Coyotes being in Phoenix, while a second revolves around the team being relocated to Salt Lake City.

I really want hockey to stay in the desert. I know it's the unpopular opinion, but I think Coyotes fans deserve their team. It's an unconventional hockey market with some of the most dedicated fans in the league, their jerseys are to die for, and they finally have an exciting young group of players. IMO, losing Arizona would be a nice loss to the hockey world. Im shocked at how many people are fully behind the NHL losing such a great city. While I really like the idea of Utah getting a hockey team, I'd hate for it to come at the expense of the Yotes. People will say that Arizona is Bettman's favourite team, but I feel like the Yotes deserve so much better. Theyve been royally screwed by their city and ownership (mainly ownership). If this is the end for the modern day Coyotes, I have 2 wishes:

- We see hockey return to Arizona in the future
- Utah keeps the Kachinas as a third jersey
10 avr. à 12 h 48
Seravalli is reporting that the league has a contingency plan in place for the Coyotes next season should they lose the bid for their arena.

There are 2 schedules being drafted, one that revolves around the Coyotes being in Phoenix, while a second revolves around the team being relocated to Salt Lake City.

I really want hockey to stay in the desert. I know it's the unpopular opinion, but I think Coyotes fans deserve their team. It's an unconventional hockey market with some of the most dedicated fans in the league, their jerseys are to die for, and they finally have an exciting young group of players. IMO, losing Arizona would be a nice loss to the hockey world. Im shocked at how many people are fully behind the NHL losing such a great city. While I really like the idea of Utah getting a hockey team, I'd hate for it to come at the expense of the Yotes. People will say that Arizona is Bettman's favourite team, but I feel like the Yotes deserve so much better. Theyve been royally screwed by their city and ownership (mainly ownership). If this is the end for the modern day Coyotes, I have 2 wishes:

- We see hockey return to Arizona in the future
- Utah keeps the Kachinas as a third jersey

Teams to be successful need market size, fanbase and an arena, Arizona had 2 of those 3, and until they get the 3rd, I will be in the move Arizona camp
10 avr. à 13 h 17
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Teams to be successful need market size, fanbase and an arena, Arizona had 2 of those 3, and until they get the 3rd, I will be in the move Arizona camp

Yep that team for to long has embarrassed the NHL one way or another

Like Bettman has given them more chances than the Thrashers

Just save us the headache and move them

Salt Lake City aint bad. They got the Jazz and Ryan Smith wants a hockey team
10 avr. à 14 h 3
Rejoint: janv. 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 476
Modifié 10 avr. à 14 h 9
Arizona is a nice franchise to purchase from a hockey ops asset position.

They have a better team (IMO) than Vegas or Seattle could ever dream of from the expansion draft driven by -eleven- extra second or third round picks the coming years plus their existing prospects. Vegas and Seattle had none of that. Also their team is pretty okay. Is really in position to be competitive if managed well.

Imagine some new gm flipping picks for players - 6 2nds are traded for 2 upgrades; that team would be a contender and they still have more picks. It wouldn’t take all that much to get there and they have an absolute warehouse full of assets to trade.
10 avr. à 14 h 59
Démarrer sujet
Amirov Forever
Well it looks like the Coyotes will in fact be relocated to Utah. Arizona has always had a special place in my heart for whatever reason. Always easy to root for the underdogs, and I dont think there is a team that exemplifies that more than the Yotes. Also a real shame we are losing the Coyotes incredible jersey kits; the Kachinas and Desert Night alternates are my favourite jerseys in all of hockey.

This is a great investment for Ryan Smith, the Coyotes have such an incredible future while also having some exciting regular NHL players. They have so, so many draft picks
Leafsfan98 et CantStopWontStop a aimé ceci.
10 avr. à 15 h 9
Hakuna Matata
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96NUsT-1k2A&ab_channel=NickelodeonUK

Fans who have been asking for relocation

WE FINALLY DID IT

SO LONG ARIZONA
10 avr. à 15 h 10
Démarrer sujet
Amirov Forever
utah-hockey-branding-concepts-v0-aqgblrotvsfc1.jpg?width=1000&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=2b3d7431195d493286d8e08888c3205dfdb8c6fd

This has got to be the best concept I've seen for an NHL team kit. Love the colours, hope we see something like this for the branding of the Utah team
10 avr. à 15 h 20
Hakuna Matata
utah-hockey-branding-concepts-v0-aqgblrotvsfc1.jpg?width=1000&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=2b3d7431195d493286d8e08888c3205dfdb8c6fd

This has got to be the best concept I've seen for an NHL team kit. Love the colours, hope we see something like this for the branding of the Utah team

If they are moved should buy the Utah Grizzlies name and then create a badass logo with a Kachina Bear
10 avr. à 15 h 26
Hakuna Matata
As for other jersey concepts seen

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/fans-naming-salt-lake-city-nhl-team

Other than the name I like the Utah Blizzard jersey
10 avr. à 15 h 42
Bedard23
Rejoint: mai 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 4,476
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96NUsT-1k2A&ab_channel=NickelodeonUK

Fans who have been asking for relocation

WE FINALLY DID IT

SO LONG ARIZONA

I guess Winnipeg got the last laugh after all
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
10 avr. à 15 h 53
Go leafs go
Rejoint: avr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 9,199
Modifié 10 avr. à 15 h 59
Well it looks like the Coyotes will in fact be relocated to Utah. Arizona has always had a special place in my heart for whatever reason. Always easy to root for the underdogs, and I dont think there is a team that exemplifies that more than the Yotes. Also a real shame we are losing the Coyotes incredible jersey kits; the Kachinas and Desert Night alternates are my favourite jerseys in all of hockey.

This is a great investment for Ryan Smith, the Coyotes have such an incredible future while also having some exciting regular NHL players. They have so, so many draft picks

Sorry bro but I have to disagree with you here. I have little sympathy for people from Arizona here, if they wanted to keep their team more people should have came to watch (Edit: to be fair ownership has been the main problem, but the lack of fans don’t help). You can’t say the NHL didn’t try to keep them around lol. Also they have one of every other sports team, so they’ll be fine. This move is long overdue and I’m happy they’re going to Utah, I think it should be a good market (they currently only have NBA after all).
10 avr. à 16 h 2
Rejoint: mai 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 18,389
How about for divisional changes….

Central
CGY*
CHI
DAL
EDM*
NSH
STL
MIN
WPG

Pacific
ANA
COL*
LAK
SLC (ARI)*
SJS
SEA
VAN
VGK

*change
10 avr. à 16 h 6
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 10 avr. à 16 h 16
Quoting: NHLfan10506

Central
CGY*
CHI
DAL
EDM*
NSH
STL
MIN
WPG

Pacific
ANA
COL*
LAK
SLC (ARI)*
SJS
SEA
VAN
VGK

*change

The one problem is that they already moved ARI from the pacific to Central and I know I know its SLC but idk if they want to put it back where it once was already. Its like if NHL kept bringing back the Thrashers lul

One idea I had was

New Division 1

CGY
EDM
VAN
SEA
WPG
MIN
CHI
STL

New Division 2
ANA
COL
LAK
SLC (ARI)
SJS
VGK
DAL
NSH
10 avr. à 16 h 9
Rejoint: mai 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 18,389
The one problem is that they already moved ARI from the pacific to Central and I know I know its SLC but idk if they want to put it back where it once was already. Its like if NHL kept bringing back the Thrashers lul

I think they would want VGK, COL, SLC in same division. Just makes more sense having them together in Pacific

Unless they do Northwest and Southwest
10 avr. à 16 h 10
Go leafs go
Rejoint: avr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 9,199
Also am I the only one who thinks that the Utah Coyotes would actually be a pretty solid name? Wouldn’t mind them just keeping their name
Leafsfan98 a aimé ceci.
10 avr. à 16 h 16
Hakuna Matata
I think they would want VGK, COL, SLC in same division. Just makes more sense having them together in Pacific

Unless they do Northwest and Southwest

One idea I had was

New Division 1

CGY
EDM
VAN
SEA
WPG
MIN
CHI
STL

New Division 2
ANA
COL
LAK
SLC (ARI)
SJS
VGK
DAL
NSH

Untitled.jpg

Atlantic and Metro stay the same
NHLfan10506 et CantStopWontStop a aimé ceci.
10 avr. à 16 h 38
One idea I had was

New Division 1

CGY
EDM
VAN
SEA
WPG
MIN
CHI
STL

New Division 2
ANA
COL
LAK
SLC (ARI)
SJS
VGK
DAL
NSH

Untitled.jpg

Atlantic and Metro stay the same

Too much travel and timezone shenanigans, I have to think the Pacific will always have Vancouver, Seattle, SJ, LA, Anaheim and Vegas, from there they can decide if Calgary/Edmonton, or Colorado/SLC are the last 2
10 avr. à 17 h 1
Leafs going to Leafs

Central
CGY*
CHI
DAL
EDM*
NSH