SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Trades

(SJS/TBL) - Duclair, 2025 7th (SJS) for Thompson, 2024 3rd (TBL)

Who won the trade?
Le graphique a été masqué

Options de sondage

7 mars à 22 h 22
Rejoint: janv. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 535
Quoting: jpsnow13
"His skating is just OK, though, and given that he's average-sized, whether he can defend at the NHL level is a question mark. He has a chance to play in the NHL but is no sure thing." The Athetic, an hour ago.

I personally don't trust a thing that comes from The Athletic. They are more wrong than right.
Boltsbeathabs a aimé ceci.
7 mars à 22 h 36
You know nothing JS
Rejoint: janv. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 4,431
Quoting: KennyBoi
I personally don't trust a thing that comes from The Athletic. They are more wrong than right.

I personally don't trust a thing that comes from Capfriendly. They are more wrong than right.
Andy_Dick, Saskleaf et A_Habs_fan a aimé ceci.
7 mars à 23 h 20
Rejoint: mai 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 214
Quoting: LordStanlersCup
the round a player was drafted in only means something until they play their first game after the draft. Here is an article that was written about him over the AHL ASG: https://theahl.com/crunch-pleased-with-all-star-thompsons-progress

he was going to develop into a very good Top 4 RD and we gave him away for nothing

He's 21 years old and hasn't managed to crack a defense with minimal depth that at times has had several people injured all at once. It happens, but there's no way anyone with that profile is a certain or even likely top-four defenseman.

That being said, I don't know why JBB would touch any futures for a team like this. There's no rule that you have to make a deadline move and we're not winning a playoff round this year—it's a toss-up if we'll even be in the playoffs. It wasn't expensive, but I think it's a waste of assets.
7 mars à 23 h 27
Rejoint: mai 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 269
Quoting: I_Know_Nothing_About_Hockey_Or_Any_Sport2
He's 21 years old and hasn't managed to crack a defense with minimal depth that at times has had several people injured all at once. It happens, but there's no way anyone with that profile is a certain or even likely top-four defenseman.

That being said, I don't know why JBB would touch any futures for a team like this. There's no rule that you have to make a deadline move and we're not winning a playoff round this year—it's a toss-up if we'll even be in the playoffs. It wasn't expensive, but I think it's a waste of assets.

I very much question the talent evaluation for this team, just because he didnt make the lineup doesnt mean he isnt a better player. They were playing 25/26 year old rookies whos ceiling are 4th liners/ 7th d man at best in chaffee, merela, koepke, fleury, myers, brown and others but had goncalves, finley, lilleberg, crozier, finley and groshev all who were way better and ready to play NHL games. This trade will age like milk once Thompson beats out calen addison for the PP1 spot and puts up 40 in his rookie season im calling it
Steven_Stamkos a aimé ceci.
7 mars à 23 h 31
Mentions "j'aime": 214
I very much question the talent evaluation for this team, just because he didnt make the lineup doesnt mean he isnt a better player. They were playing 25/26 year old rookies whos ceiling are 4th liners/ 7th d man at best in chaffee, merela, koepke, fleury, myers, brown and others but had goncalves, finley, lilleberg, crozier, finley and groshev all who were way better and ready to play NHL games. This trade will age like milk once Thompson beats out calen addison for the PP1 spot and puts up 40 in his rookie season im calling it

The Lightning have pretty much the best track record for player scouting and development in the entire NHL. I don't pay enough attention to say you're wrong that those guys were NHL-ready and would have outperformed the people we did use to fill our bottom-six, but I think the Lightning do know what they're doing when it comes to talent evaluation.
7 mars à 23 h 36
Quoting: I_Know_Nothing_About_Hockey_Or_Any_Sport2
The Lightning have pretty much the best track record for player scouting and development in the entire NHL. I don't pay enough attention to say you're wrong that those guys were NHL-ready and would have outperformed the people we did use to fill our bottom-six, but I think the Lightning do know what they're doing when it comes to talent evaluation.

no I dont question the scouts, the scouts did very well to even get these players at the picks they got them with. I question stacy roest who is the head of player development or perhaps its just JBB not wanting to play the kids and overvaluing experience
8 mars à 0 h 6
Retired V2 V3 GM
Mentions "j'aime": 1,141
Fair value in my opinion
8 mars à 0 h 17
Rejoint: juill. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 134
Seems fair for both sides, I think the key here is that Grier dodges retaining and can use it on less desirable contracts like Labanc or Hoffman for additional late round picks, or can use it to boost a return for a Ferraro or Granlund trade.
8 mars à 2 h 33
Log off the internet
Rejoint: mars 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 3,866
Logged back onto the internet just to ask wtf did we do this for
8 mars à 7 h 38
Rejoint: août 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 19

Carolina just got the best player at the deadline without giving up any of their top 5 prospects. But JBB gave up our best defensemen for a guy that refuses to play defense. It seems like every trade that has gone down so far has favored the team getting the player except for this one. Such a waste of assets
LordStanlersCup a aimé ceci.
8 mars à 7 h 43
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 2,512
Quoting: Hedman77
Logged back onto the internet just to ask wtf did we do this for

Awesome question
8 mars à 7 h 53
Quoting: bolts03
Carolina just got the best player at the deadline without giving up any of their top 5 prospects. But JBB gave up our best defensemen for a guy that refuses to play defense. It seems like every trade that has gone down so far has favored the team getting the player except for this one. Such a waste of assets

I like ville koivunen and havent watched much of cruz lucius but his brother chaz is very good so I dont think that trade was as lopsided as some people are making it seem but I completely agree with your overall sentiment. This was a buyers market and we still got fleeced
8 mars à 8 h 35
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 17,386
Fair deal, Duclair's going to help Tampa's forward depth and bring good secondary scoring while San Jose gets a 3rd and decent prospect
8 mars à 9 h 7
Rejoint: mars 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 24
Tampa gets a VERY underrated player for Pennies. Master class by Tampa.
KSIxSKULLS a aimé ceci.
8 mars à 9 h 23
WentWughes
Rejoint: nov. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 10,272
I honestly feel like I'm missing something. Duclair is a legit middle 6 forward. Tampa clearly won this trade.
patti200219 a aimé ceci.
8 mars à 10 h 44
Rejoint: août 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 19
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
I honestly feel like I'm missing something. Duclair is a legit middle 6 forward. Tampa clearly won this trade.

Tampa hasn’t shown that they can be a contender this year so trading away any future assets is the problem. Duclair is good but he isn’t the missing piece.
KSIxSKULLS a aimé ceci.
8 mars à 11 h 16
Grierless Sharks Fan
Rejoint: déc. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 927

Honestly, I think it's a fair deal.

SJS gets a RD, which is what they're weakest at plus a pick.
Tampa fills a scoring need and their back end is stacked. Thompson likely wasn't going to make it there.
poeticentropy a aimé ceci.
8 mars à 11 h 32
Mentions "j'aime": 604

TB is 6 the in GF 26TH in GA Duclair does nothing to address TBs Biggest issue
8 mars à 12 h 12
Quoting: bolts03

lmao toffoli just only got a 2025 2nd and a 3rd, unbelievable
8 mars à 17 h 18
Rejoint: janv. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 535
Quoting: jpsnow13
I personally don't trust a thing that comes from Capfriendly. They are more wrong than right.

Agreed, both are idiotic.
9 mars à 0 h 51
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 556
It was a good trade for both sides. Duclair is also more than likely not a rental given he was a player JBB and Co. were interested in for a while. He provides much needed forward depth in the middle 6. Thompson didn't crack the lineup when a spot was there for the taking given Perbix's play at times this year. He has some potential though, and is likely a solid 3rd pairing guy if he hits his ceiling. He'll likely get a good shot with S.J.,.who did well with no retention and a 3rd in addition.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Chargement de l'animation
Soumettre les modifications du sondage